• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I saw some of Roots in grade school, can't remember if we seen the whole thing but I remember a lot of it.

I really should consider looking at it again. After all this time, it would be worthwhile to experience it once more.

I was looking for a post on Gradient Lair about Beyoncé, when I came across this post that starts off with this gif set:

tumblr_nabiv75a7g1qeh4t2o1_500.gif

tumblr_nabiv75a7g1qeh4t2o2_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nabiv75a7g1qeh4t2o3_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nabiv75a7g1qeh4t2o4_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nabiv75a7g1qeh4t2o5_r3_500.gif

tumblr_nabiv75a7g1qeh4t2o6_r2_500.gif

tumblr_nabiv75a7g1qeh4t2o7_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nabiv75a7g1qeh4t2o8_r2_500.gif

There's a link to the hour and a half long discussion with bell hooks and Melissa Harris-Perry on the blog post.

Thanks for this Mumei. Very informative.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Surprised so many haven't seen roots. It's like the perfect mix of reading rainbow meets good times.

strobogo

Banned
I consider this to be the problem.

Expecting teenagers of today to know anything about a tv event/series from the 70s is assuming a lot, I think. It's not like it is reaired every year, and there hasn't been a new one in 26 years. It's very, very easy and likely to be completely unaware of Roots if you're 20ish or younger unless you had older adults tell you about it. It's likely most young people only know it from references in other shows.

Expecting teenagers of today to know anything about a tv event/series from the 70s is assuming a lot, I think. It's not like it is reaired every year, and there hasn't been a new one in 26 years. It's very, very easy and likely to be completely unaware of Roots if you're 20ish or younger unless you had older adults tell you about it. It's likely most young people only know it from references in other shows.

The NWO in your avatar is 18 years old, DBZ is even older. People are aware of whatever they want to be and usually when its important people find excuses to be "ignorant" of it.

Yeah its under the YouTube channel CinemaSins. It makes you wanna rewatch older movies and laugh at some of the discrepancies. It clowned the fuck out of DragonBall Evolution.

Just showing the film would do that.
That episode is bloody hilarious though.

The NWO in your avatar is 18 years old, DBZ is even older. People are aware of whatever they want to be and usually when its important people find excuses to be "ignorant" of it.

That's a tad unfair though, people are aware of those things because they've been made aware of them, or (rarely) stumbled across them.

strobogo

Banned

I don't think that is the case but okay. I was a kid when the NWO thing happened and am right in the middle of watching it again. It was 1996, not 1977. I think it is perfectly reasonable that a teenager in 2014 would have never heard of Roots and therefore hasn't seen it not because of excuses to be "ignorant", but because they don't even know it exists. If they're told about and then don't want to watch it, I don't think that should be held against them, either. Sometimes you just don't want to watch some heavy shit.

KumaJG

I feel like Roots airs once a year or enough times for my generations to see it. Plus it is available on the interweb. I seen bits and pieces of the Roots. Not going to go back and watch in full because I have no desire/interest too.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That dating thread in gaming is halarious .
Just starting to read it now. This girl is coming to his apartment and his first thought is what video game to show her. He literally said he is thinking of buying a Wii U just so he can show her Mario Galaxy.

Village

Just starting to read it now. This girl is coming to his apartment and his first thought is what video game to show her. He literally said he is thinking of buying a Wii U just so he can show her Mario Galaxy.

Its funny on multiple levels, that thread getting the video game t shirt thread run off too.

royalan

I'm waiting for the subway, and this guy is more walking by me back and forth worth good pants pulled down and flashing his bare ass because I made the mistake of making eye contact with him.

Why does this bullshit always happen to me.

Slayven

I'm waiting for the subway, and this guy is more walking by me back and forth worth good pants pulled down and flashing his bare ass because I made the mistake of making eye contact with him.

Why does this bullshit always happen to me.

You are one of those people that people feel like they can be themselves around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom