• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an RPG I thought

Doesn't mean it can't have meaningful combat.

Yep. She recently started dating Robert Pattinson, and she handled the [completely expected] racist Twitter backlash with the ultimate grace and poise:
gxVSpKf.png

Jguq1ly.png

sNJ8Zkl.png

uYGYcro.png

First of all...Twilight should not be that damn serious in 2014. Second, that classy response couldn't have been me...or Rihanna.

Rihanna would have dragged every last one of them...and EVERY drag would have been funny as fuck.

Eh, I put her in the same lane as Tinashe and Jhene Aiko -- i.e. light-skinded girls making trippy R&B that's great to #JustBlaze and/or #Fuck to, but is a little on the shallow side outside of that.

I was surprisingly impressed by her LP tho.

I dunno, FKA's shit is way more far out than either Tinashe or Jhene. FKA is R&B + Acid trip, while Tinashe is just R&B and Jhene is R&B + high on weed.

Funny enough I made a thread right as you posted this on the same thing (the twitter mess).

Dragon's Dogma spoiled you too much?

Seems like it.

royalan

I never heard of FKA Twigs until today.

What does FKA stand for?

From her Wikipedia page:

She became known as twigs for the way her joints crack.[7] She added the initialism FKA (Formerly Known As) to her name when another artist called twigs complained about her use of the name.[7]

If you've never listened to her music, here's what I think are her standout tracks from her acclaimed LP, LP1.

Give Up (the song she's voguing to in the clip, in my opinion her best track)
Lights On
Numbers

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Assassin is a fun class.

This game isn't as dickish as Dark Souls -yet-, in terms of enemy placement. However, I did see that bullshit Dy was talking about tho. Fucked up ass area. Lol. Must not have opened that quest yet tho, cause the fight didn't start.

Yep. She recently started dating Robert Pattinson, and she handled the [completely expected] racist Twitter backlash with the ultimate grace and poise:
http://i.imgur.com/gxVSpKf.png[/img
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Jguq1ly.png[/img
[img]http://i.imgur.com/sNJ8Zkl.png[/img

[img]http://i.imgur.com/uYGYcro.png[/img

First of all...Twilight should not be that damn serious in 2014. Second, that classy response couldn't have been me...or Rihanna.

Rihanna would have dragged every last one of them...and EVERY drag would have been funny as fuck.

Eh, I put her in the same lane as Tinashe and Jhene Aiko -- i.e. light-skinded girls making trippy R&B that's great to #JustBlaze and/or #Fuck to, but is a little on the shallow side outside of that.

I was surprisingly impressed by her LP tho.[/QUOTE]

it's not racism b/c all the people calling her a monkey are white

wtf. my boy team edward can do better. fka twigs looks like a fuckin goobah with those stupid haircuts. all these 12 year old looking girls coming out of the woodwork now. this one making crop circles on her forehead with her bangs.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Now, Beyonce sure as hell isn't my cup of tea, but I can't be the only one who thinks it's pretty fucking lousy that she's being deemed less of a feminist than (insert other feminist lady here) just because she's not making speeches.

I mean, have I been hearing the same songs as everyone else? I could have sworn she's always singing something about empowering women.

Of all people, Beyonce gets attacked for this. Smh.

Now, Beyonce sure as hell isn't my cup of tea, but I can't be the only one who thinks it's pretty fucking lousy that she's being deemed less of a feminist than (insert other feminist lady here) just because she's not making speeches.

I mean, have I been hearing the same songs as everyone else? I could have sworn she's always singing something about empowering women.

Of all people, Beyonce gets attacked for this. Smh.

Feminism is a white girls' party. But nevermind many of them blasting that stupid ass Girls Run The World song as their anthem. >.>

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Feminism is a white girls' party. But nevermind many of them blasting that stupid ass Girls Run The World song as their anthem. >.>

I wanted to say it but didn't have the guts but this is how I feel about it. Beyonce is as feminist as they come, her songs reflect that. But it feels like she's getting shade because she's black. Just how I feel about it and if it's not the truth, I'd love some proof.

Rihanna could come out as feminist and they would tear into her about her past with Chris Brown, or Alicia Keys could and then the home wrecking accusations start to flow.

This is one of those fucked up aspects of feminism that really bothers the hell outta me. No one was saying shit about Beyonce until Emma gave her speech. Now all of a sudden, Beyonce is invalid. Appalling.

Imm0rt4l

Sometimes log into my old facebook. Funny to see ppl that were cool in high school have become racist shitlords.

I sonned a friend from college on facebook after he came to my page to defend the cops that killed that guy who broke a figh in NY. He just had a kid recently and I wanted to congratulate him only to find he deleted me lol. Funny thing is I came at him in the most politically correct way possible.

Sometimes log into my old facebook. Funny to see ppl that were cool in high school have become racist shitlords.

Same here. After being out of the loop with people between 9 and 14 years, hopping on Facebook was jarring. Lot of people turned fucking sideways, and some I did not expect.

Trey

Equalizer was cool, go check it out if you dig action movies that don't ask much from you and don't insult your intelligence. It's nothing great, but worth the price of admission. Has a couple nice shots as well.

I wanted to say it but didn't have the guts but this is how I feel about it. Beyonce is as feminist as they come, her songs reflect that. But it feels like she's getting shade because she's black. Just how I feel about it and if it's not the truth, I'd love some proof.

Rihanna could come out as feminist and they would tear into her about her past with Chris Brown, or Alicia Keys could and then the home wrecking accusations start to flow.

This is one of those fucked up aspects of feminism that really bothers the hell outta me. No one was saying shit about Beyonce until Emma gave her speech. Now all of a sudden, Beyonce is invalid. Appalling.

Oh Feminism is definitely a white girls' club, so much to the point where minority females had to make their own movement (Womanism) because they felt that Feminism wasn't addressing the issues that plagued them in any meaningful way. Keep in mind this was back in the 60s, the fact that not much has changed from that point of view in 2014 is sad. These schism hold back the feminist movement so much, that and the whole no true scotsman fallacy they use to bring each other down.

FreeMufasa

Same here. After being out of the loop with people between 9 and 14 years, hopping on Facebook was jarring. Lot of people turned fucking sideways, and some I did not expect.

From what I seen they are VEX that minorities are doing better than them, must have been a handout. Most of the black people and south Asian dudes from my school are doing pretty well and it kills them. They spend their time getting mad at daily mail articles where minorties abuse benefits.

I remember how these dudes were at school. Got no one to blame but themselves for flopping life.

That post-launch clarity

Speak for yourselves.

I've played Warframe, D3, Destiny, Ghosts, BF4, MGS, PT, and a bunch of others. My PS3 was a Telltale machine after the PS4 came out.

And now comes Dragon Age, CoD:AW, and AC:Unity, in addition to Bloodborne and The Order early next year. Not to mention Binding of Isaac, Hotline Miami 2, Titan Souls, Hyperlight Drifter, etc.

No time for the older struggle games. The only two I've even thought about playing recently were Mass Effect 3 MP and Borderlands 2.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Oh Feminism is definitely a white girls' club, so much to the point where minority females had to make their own movement (Womanism) because they felt that Feminism wasn't addressing the issues that plagued them in any meaningful way. Keep in mind this was back in the 60s, the fact that not much has changed from that point of view in 2014 is sad. These schism hold back the feminist movement so much, that and the whole no true scotsman fallacy they use to bring each other down.

I've still got a lot more to learn about all this. It's almost discouraging since I've always stood for feminism and seeing all this is starting to bother me. I find myself defending celebrities that I never really favored because of this and that's very telling.

Whats the point of putting a game or company title in your avatar and then acting like you're going into topics about said game or company like you've really got an objective opinion on them?

Malyse

Whats the point of putting a game or company title in your avatar and then acting like you're going into topics about said game or company like you've really got an objective opinion on them?

Just because you apparently can't separate your favor from your rationale doesn't mean the same of others. Stardust is my favorite movie ever. That doesn't mean I'm not cognitively aware that The Godfather is a better film.

Furthermore, what the fuck is an objective opinion? Opinions are subjective inherently.

Not that feminism is for white women; mainstream feminism is mostly centered around white women and doesn't recognize POC women's achievements/struggles/existences to a large degree

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Not that feminism is for white women; mainstream feminism is mostly centered around white women and doesn't recognize POC women's achievements/struggles/existences to a large degree

Yeah, it all started to make sense to me once I saw how people can respond to Nicki Minaj. I seen quite a few woc feminist deem Anaconda empowering but everyone wants to tear into her anyway.

There's plenty of black women that are active in areas of their choice but I can't fathom why Beyonce gets so much shade about every little detail in her life.

Trey

but I can't fathom why Beyonce gets so much shade about every little detail in her life.

She is also glorified and put up on a pedestal by many.

That's what happens to celebrities. They're not even people to the masses, simply entities for individuals to project their sensibilities onto.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Personally, I don't really give a damn about her (Kelly has always been my favorite) but I still give her credit for being a great performer.

Malyse

Yeah, it all started to make sense to me once I saw how people can respond to Nicki Minaj. I seen quite a few woc feminist deem Anaconda empowering but everyone wants to tear into her anyway.

There's plenty of black women that are active in areas of their choice but I can't fathom why Beyonce gets so much shade about every little detail in her life.

Bey is top tier. If they can drag her down they can drag anyone down. Of course this is more to do with the nature of black celebrity than anything else. Fun game: name a black celeb that hasn't being embroiled in some rumor or controversy about how they can't hold their life together. Rihanna was right to say she wasn't a role model. She doesn't have to play this stupid fucking game because of it.

To my queer brothers , when did you realize you were attraced to members of same sex?

Follow up: Was it hard for your parents to accept you?

from all i've heard from friends is it isn't like the mtv tv show "Faking It" anecdotally the follow up turns out good 4 out 10 times for the people i've met.

You guys who internalize their racism, it's aging you rapidly.
http://colorlines.com/archives/2014...ernalized_racism_speeds_up_aging_process.html

Not gonna lie...I haven't read it.

TkVLtUy.jpg

And these are just two off the top of my head. If I started talking about black female MCs and their unrecognized contributions to the feminist movement, we'd be here all damn day.

But yeah, white girls' party...

You haven't proven anything to the contrary. What black female issues does feminism speak on exactly? I can go on Youtube right now, type in feminism and watch these conventinos and not once will a non black woman speak on the issues that pertain to black women in the US. The ones who do are fucking rare. Because you'll find that mainstream feminism isn't concerned with the problems black women face in the US. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. Black women have been complaining about the feminist movement in the US excluding them since the 1960s. "Womanism" and "black feminism" are movements for a reason. All you've shown me is that feminism loves co-opting and appropriating shit from minority women and calling it their own while at the same time still largely excluding minority women.

This is like me linking to some R&B males as proof that MRA is inclusive to black men.

I think more people need to differentiate between "feminist" and "activist." With artists you'll get a lot of the former but not a lot of the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom