• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

So that GTA thread brought up a good question. Was CJ the first black main character in a videogame? Ignoring licensed stuff with athletes, stars, etc. If so...that's pretty sad

Earliest one I can think of off the top of my head (not counting character creators) is Shadowman. No wait that's licensed from a comic. Does that count? Anyway, and that game was like, 2000.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Man, looking through Angelus' posts makes me yearn for a game that talks about the truth he's preachin' right now. You want games to be taken seriously, make a game about female sexuality, white priviledge, etc. Lets see how many of these gaming cats can relate to that.
sass1.png

It's not gonna happen anytime soon tho. The video game industry is full of nerds and cowards. You have a few devs fighting the good fight, but they're one in a million.

In contrast, I use totes in normal convo.

I use it in normal conversation when I'm being sarcastic and condescending...so basically exactly how I use it online hah.

You got me confused with other people. I even say in one of my posts in that thread that none of my critiques makes Beyoncé not a Feminist.

I don't give a shit about the bullshit "she's too pretty," or " she's to sexual" arguments about Beyoncé's feminism. My issues with Beyoncé, going back to debates even in PopGAF, have more to do with her using the label as personal branding, and the gross inconsistency in her messaging. Beyoncé tries to have it both ways. You can't be a feminist pioneer for your album and then rapping and dancing along to your husband's incredibly anti-female lyrics for your tour. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

That's a horrible argument. And when has Beyonce ever called herself a feminist pioneer? You're basically attempting to invalidate what she's done and has done because she dances to a catchy song...what kind of shit is that?

And no, you weren't saying she isn't a feminist. You were arguing she's a feminist lite; then in the same breath make statements that "feminism" isn't defined and is a concept when asked to define feminism. You can't call someone a feminist lite and at the same time put forth the argument that feminism can't be defined that's a contradiction. You can't make up imaginary/only known to you requirements to be considered feminist then move the goalpost as people point out how someone might fall into that definition.
Like Mumei said, going by the definitions many people were throwing in that Annie thread even he wouldn't be considered a feminist by everyone's standard and by further definition NO ONE on GAF are feminists. But how can that be possible if it's not suppose to be strictly defined?

This is like saying Elton John can't be for gay rights because he admitted he loves Eminem's music and listens to all of his albums (he knows the words to quite a few of the songs) and he has performed with Eminem several times, you can't invalidate all that EJ has contributed because he supports Eminem.

Honestly you just sound kind of salty that she called herself feminist and are completely ignoring what she's done for women because. I mean as people keep telling me, it's just a word that isn't defined, but yet so many people are salty that Beyonce has finally acknowledged this "word".

As I said in the other thread, there are only two things in Beyonce's life that have been consistent. Her name, and her "women rule" shtick. Feminists will continue to co-opt Beyonce's songs as their feminist anthems tho…

As devo said, it's a much better to argue whether someone is a feminist or activist. Because really all of this is "no true scotsman fallacy", like damn near textbook definition. She doesn't fit your definition therefore she isn't is such a weak argument. Because for all we know you don't fit Beyonce's definition.

Obviously I agree that a lot of female MCs were pioneers. I disagree with the idea that they were respected for it. They weren't. Go drop their names in Gaf-HOP if you don't believe me.

That's not proof of anything. Gaf-Hop isn't indicative of anything. It's like me saying go ask older females in the Bronx what they think of Lil Kim/Queen B, Eve, Foxy and that entire movement from the 90s. Or asking females from the south what they think of Trina. Or alternatively this is like me making a thread in OT asking females what they think. We know the answer. slut shaming out the ass. Now ask them what they think of Lady Gaga. I roll my eyes.

I'm willing to bet there will be many people on GAF-Hop who respect those females for what they did even if they think they're all shitty lyricists which is something many of them value.

Oh that dumbass, she shitted all over poor Viola in the article.

That entire article was the most painful 1960s BS I've ever read. I was going to make a thread on it but refrained mostly because I hit the character limit and didn't feel like trimming my post...so I deleted it ha!

So that GTA thread brought up a good question. Was CJ the first black main character in a videogame? Ignoring licensed stuff with athletes, stars, etc. If so...that's pretty sad

Nah

Urban_Chaos_Coverart.png

853168-198600_108646_front.jpg

Kreed

Man, looking through Angelus' posts makes me yearn for a game that talks about the truth he's preachin' right now. You want games to be taken seriously, make a game about female sexuality, white priviledge, etc. Lets see how many of these gaming cats can relate to that.
sass1.png

It's not gonna happen anytime soon tho. The video game industry is full of nerds and cowards. You have a few devs fighting the good fight, but they're one in a million.

That's the nice thing about indy/mobile games getting more popular and exposure IMO.

royalan

That's a horrible argument. And when has Beyonce ever called herself a feminist pioneer? You're basically attempting to invalidate what she's done and has done because she dances to a catchy song...what kind of shit is that?

Nah bruh. You're going to have to back up and explain why this is a bad argument, because in my mind it's the whole problem.

I don't give a shit how catchy Jay-Z'S wack ass music is, most of his song dealing with woman are extremely misogynistic and disrespectful of women, and if you're going to take up the mantle of feminism you can't be seen actively co-signing that shit. Nah, fuck that. Because those same girls you're supposedly educating with your album are also watching your fucking tour and listening to your OTHER albums.

Does Beyoncé have the right to co-cosign her husband's misogyny as a human? Sure. Does she have the right to sing about subservience to men? Go ahead. But then you can't get all upset when people question her motives or call her a fair weather feminist, because that's exactly what she is, point blank.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

My Avatar was black in Ultima VI and VII, and I didn't appreciate the choice being taken away from me in the cinematics of IX. Pretty much in every create-a-character game, I create a black guy or a Hispanic guy, unless the voice over just sounds ridiculous or, worse, the skin tone is either white, off white, jaundiced, or you are staring into the abyss.

I know that wasn't what you were looking for and that the guy on the front of the Ultima VI box looks like he just stepped out of an 1939 German propaganda film, likely intentionally given the theme of the game, but there are opportunities, even if they were ignored.

Nah bruh. You're going to have to back up and explain why this is a bad argument, because in my mind it's the whole problem.

I don't give a shit how catchy Jay-Z'S wack ass music is, most of his song dealing with woman after extremely misogynistic and disrespectful of woman, and if you're going to take up the mantle of feminism you can't be seen actively co-signing that shit. Nah, fuck that. Because those same girls you're supposedly educating with your album after also watching your damn your album, are also watching your fucking tour and listening to your OTHER albums.

The number of women who claim to be feminist would not be under your definition. Should Beyonce go on camera and denounce Jay? Should she stand there like a nut while the music is blasting? Would that make her a "true" feminist? "You're not a true scotsman because you voted no for Scottish independence." Is basically the argument you're levying. Yea sorry but *zzzz*.

Janet Jackson starred along side Tupac, she dated Jermaine Dupri for a damn long time...how you gonna call her a feminist icon when she's dated Jermaine Dupri who made albums, signed artists and made his millions off disparaging women frequently? Oh because we never saw her dance to one of his songs on camera as a woman clearly there to be eye candy to Jermaine and is the basis of his song about how he's willing to spend copious amounts of money to fuck her?

Okay.

Does Beyoncé have the right to co-cosign her husband's misogyny as a human. Sure, but then you can't get all upset when people question her motives or call her a fair weather feminist, because that's exactly what she is, point blank.

Only by your ever changing definition of what a feminist is or should be...which is the main problem with the movement in itself. Women don't even need men to keep them down, they're willing to do it themselves by bickering about who's a true feminist and who's not. Who should be a part of the cliche and who isn't. Measuring how much one has done against how much someone else has done in the name of women empowerment. I'm sorry but if that disqualifies you from championing women's rights. I guess I should stop right now and stop helping at UCF functions while I'm at it, I should also stop donating my time to helping the AKA when they do their women empowerment campaigns on campus. I should stop doing designs pro bono and spreading the word.

*zzzzz*

By many of the definitions being levied no one is a feminist. I'm sure can find posts of you cosigning on rap songs that can be considered misogynistic, therefore by your own argument you're not really a real feminist but a fake. And fakes have no room to judge and decree if others are true feminists or not. As I stated before, going by the arguments being levied in that other thread, NO ONE on GAF is a feminist and as such they're hardly the group to deem who is or isn't a feminist or who's a true feminist and who's a poser.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It was, tho.
Maybe from the Times perspective, but the tone of the article that was written came off as giving backhanded complements the entire way through. And yet it still ran with approval from the editors. It wasn't until it was published and received all the negative feedback that suddenly these apologies and explanations came out. Just comes off as face saving.

Malyse

sass1.png

Y'all making me feel bad about being so slow. :(

Maybe from the Times perspective, but the tone of the article that was written came off as giving backhanded complements the entire way through. And yet it still ran with approval from the editors. It wasn't until it was published and received all the negative feedback that suddenly these apologies and explanations came out. Just comes off as face saving.

That woman is a fucking clown. She should not have a career.

Man, I've had this FKA twigs song on repeat for the better half of the day. D:

Pretty much how I read that entire article. I rolled my eyes so hard reading that trite shit. Shit was no better than that NYT article about cornrows no longer being "urban" and had become "hip and chic". A bunch of bullshit.

Any of you guys watch the first ep of Black-ish? I wanted to hear some thoughts. Watched it with a few of my roommates and it was...interesting. It's hard to describe, but there were definitely some parts where I laughed while others I was closer to feeling uncomfortable. Maybe "uncomfortable" is too strong, but awkward.

It felt like they were trying waaaaay too hard to fit in "black" jokes and things like that. I like Laurence Fishburne and the wife calling out Anthony Anderson on his overreactions and stuff though. Maybe the point was he was suppose to be super overboard, but it's like they crossed a line from being comically paranoid to being a caricature. And not even a particularly good one. I feel like shows like Fresh Prince, Martin, and My Wife & Kids did it better

Trey

Yeah, sounds a lot like Tinashe. Thanks.

Speaking of Tinashe, her debut album finna be annoying as shit. All those guest features. Let that girl sing, man. Black Water was fantastic.

Any of you guys watch the first ep of Black-ish? I wanted to hear some thoughts. Watched it with a few of my roommates and it was...interesting. It's hard to describe, but there were definitely some parts where I laughed while others I was closer to feeling uncomfortable. Maybe "uncomfortable" is too strong, but awkward.

No, definitely uncomfortable. It has definite promise, but the African ritual bit and the cornball ass ending monologue were big misses in my opinion.

It felt like they were trying waaaaay too hard to fit in "black" jokes and things like that. I like Laurence Fishburne and the wife calling out Anthony Anderson on his overreactions and stuff though. Maybe the point was he was suppose to be super overboard, but it's like they crossed a line from being comically paranoid to being a caricature. And not even a particularly good one. I feel like shows like Fresh Prince, Martin, and My Wife & Kids did it better

That's been my primary fear of this show.

Kreed

This was my opinion of the first episode in here when it aired (trying too hard). The other thing I noticed is almost all the jokes from the trailers were in this episode. This was the pilot episode though so it could easily improve/change direction next episode.

"Intention" is always going to be from the perspective of the person taking the action. They deservedly got lambasted for the clumsy and insensitive language of the article, but its intention was fairly clear.

I've been going through this post today, some really great stuff in here. Thanks for taking the time to organize and share.
Every time someone brings up music recs I want to do a list like that. In 2012 I went the entire year finding at least 1 new song a day without repeating the artist. Because I'm crazy like that

The show hinges on the writers and Anthony figuring out how to make his character worried about his family losing touch with what he believes to be 'blackness' and keeping him from being an overly paranoid cartoon character.

Him being an educated man, heavily concerned with staying in tune with his culture, I thought it really weird that he pulled the 'you're not really black' card, on his own wife no less.

Back off my short time out and with a new job!

Congrats.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Nope. I doubt it.

However this does take me back to when CJ was announced as the main character of GTA. The outrage was so awesome to watch and also so sad.

Let's go back to that thread, shall we? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820

Not even 10 posts in before the word "thug" is used!

Hey man thug is like the word nigger. It just means ignorant, nothing racist behind it. It's totes a coincidence that it's ONLY ever used towards black people. Stop being so PC, ugh you SJW ruining this once great nation. It's not like I'm hanging them or burning crosses gawsh.

Does Beyoncé have the right to co-cosign her husband's misogyny as a human? Sure. Does she have the right to sing about subservience to men? Go ahead. But then you can't get all upset when people question her motives or call her a fair weather feminist, because that's exactly what she is, point blank.

My problem with the situation is I can see a couple angles.

Annie's of the obvious opinion that if you're going to put your hat in the feminism ring you should be doing more activism and less branding of yourself. I can see this.

However I can't always cosign hating on a woman's feminism credentials by the company she keeps because that would narrow the definition of a feminist pretty damn quick and alienate scores of women who are already having a hard time traversing the plane of feeling/being empowered and dealing with the contradictions in their every day life.

Basically the #dualities of being feminist but accepting some contradictory elements in your life because you can't always be the shining beacon of feminism or female empowerment in some ivory tower, especially when society just isn't there yet. For a lot of women it's shacking up with someone who's not always on the same page, or knowing you could push harder on not doing shit around the house, or letting some sexism slide because you don't want to always ruin the moment.

This Beyonce thing has me all kinds of conflicted because part of me does see it as a cynical ploy to market herself and not really DO feminism in action when she has the time, money, power and resources. It reminds me of other musicians and artists who sell an image or bank on their rough upbringing but do nothing to give back to the movements or communities that are consistently appropriated in their work. In that sense I get pretty like "okay great you're a feminist but what about being an activist?"

Gorillaz

well see ill give it 2 seasons. Still dont like the name but they did a decent job at walking the fine line. I dont know if they can keep doing it like that without slipping up tho

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Let's go back to that thread, shall we? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820

Not even 10 posts in before the word "thug" is used!
This thread has been a staple of every BCT, I guarantee it's been posted at least once in every single one since it happened. Which is a great thing, I keep finding stuff in it I never saw before. For example, apparently Ninja Scooter has always been on point, which is amazing considering that is 10 years of good posts:

Ninja Scooter said:
i play Zelda because i'm a 12 year old elf boy. I can "relate". :lol dumbest thing maf's EVER said.

maybe for the next GTA it will take place in Arizona, the action will consist of merely going to work and cursing out old people under your breath, and the soundtrack will feature Avril Lavigne and trapt.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
My problem with the situation is I can see a couple angles.

Annie's of the obvious opinion that if you're going to put your hat in the feminism ring you should be doing more activism and less branding of yourself. I can see this.

However I can't always cosign hating on a woman's feminism credentials by the company she keeps because that would narrow the definition of a feminist pretty damn quick and alienate scores of women who are already having a hard time traversing the plane of feeling/being empowered and dealing with the contradictions in their every day life.

Basically the #dualities of being feminist but accepting some contradictory elements in your life because you can't always be the shining beacon of feminism or female empowerment in some ivory tower, especially when society just isn't there yet. For a lot of women it's shacking up with someone who's not always on the same page, or knowing you could push harder on not doing shit around the house, or letting some sexism slide because you don't want to always ruin the moment.

This Beyonce thing has me all kinds of conflicted because part of me does see it as a cynical ploy to market herself and not really DO feminism in action when she has the time, money, power and resources. It reminds me of other musicians and artists who sell an image or bank on their rough upbringing but do nothing to give back to the movements or communities that are consistently appropriated in their work. In that sense I get pretty like "okay great you're a feminist but what about being an activist?"

I think I follow you.

In terms of being an activist, I definitely agree Beyonce is falling short of it.

However, she's a performer so this is where I'm having trouble. She's sung songs for empowerment quite often, and she's been presenting herself as a feminist, but outside of that, she really hasn't been active in the movement. But do performers absolutely have to be activists to the degree as other celebrities when they speak their minds through their music? That's where I'm conflicted because in regards to say Nicki, I don't know what she can really say that she hasn't already.

I may have felt better about all of this if Annie just request Beyonce assist in the movement, instead of deeming her some lesser feminist and then requesting they talk like everything's water under the bridge.

Sure, she may intend to teach her and get some feedback from her, but it feels like there's a better way to go about this.

Infinite

I guess with this Beyoncé debate it raises the question: what is activism? I think someone can make a good argument that a person with Beyoncé fame notoriety and influence just by proclaiming through her music and her performances that she is a feminist and this is her feminism, in itself at the very least assists feminist activism.

I think I follow you.

In terms of being an activist, I definitely agree Beyonce is falling short of it.

However, she's a performer so this is where I'm having trouble. She's sung songs for empowerment quite often, and she's been presenting herself as a feminist, but outside of that, she really hasn't been active in the movement. But do performers absolutely have to be activists to the degree as other celebrities when they speak their minds through their music? That's where I'm conflicted because in regards to say Nicki, I don't know what she can really say that she hasn't already.

I may have felt better about all of this if Annie just request Beyonce assist in the movement, instead of deeming her some lesser feminist and then requesting they talk like everything's water under the bridge.

Sure, she may intend to teach her and get some feedback from her, but it feels like there's a better way to go about this.

I feel like if you have the money and resources you can do more than pay lip service to a movement for sure but I just don't talk about it much because it's also a waste of my own time criticizing what others could be doing with theirs.

Slayven

I guess with this Beyoncé debate it raises the question: what is activism? I think someone can make a good argument that a person with Beyoncé fame notoriety and influence just by proclaiming through her music and her performances that she is a feminist and this is her feminism, in itself at the very least assists feminist activism.

Tweeting a hashtag or changing your status.

Infinite

But then again if the debate is Beyoncé is not a feminist because she doesn't partake in feminist activism then a lot of people on planet earth wouldn't be one. Likewise a lot of people wouldn't be anti-racists despite acknowledging that racism is bad because they aren't engaging in "traditional" forms of activism to stop it.

The funny thing is that Beyonce has actually done a lot for movement. I posted a list of things outside of proclaiming it that she did in the last year alone in the OT thread on the issue. Most people ignored it and/or tried to dismiss it as "not doing enough". Which is why I stopped posting, at that point I realized I was dealing with remedial people and I'd rather not waste my time with people who clearly don't like Beyonce as an artist and/or person so they are incapable of being level headed. I don't partake in that pop-gaf stanning shit. Ain't got time for that nonsense.

These same people calling Emma Watson a feminist because she did a UN speech and did a hashtag campaign #HeForShe

lol what shit, I'm not gonna say race is playing a part in it...but race is probably playing a part in it. As I stated earlier, feminism doens't need men tearing it down. Feminists are doing it all their own.

Profile picture too.

#dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom