• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattsu25

Banned
But did he lie ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot

Attack by air
Numerous witness accounts described airplanes carrying white assailants, who fired rifles and dropped firebombs on buildings, homes, and fleeing families. The planes, six biplane two-seater trainers left over from World War I, were dispatched from the nearby Curtiss-Southwest Field (now defunct) outside Tulsa. White law enforcement officials later stated the planes were to provide reconnaissance and protect whites against a "Negro uprising". Eyewitness accounts and testimony from the survivors maintained that on the morning of June 1, the planes dropped incendiary bombs and fired rifles at black residents on the ground.

Several groups of blacks attempted to organize a defense, but they were overwhelmed by the number of armed whites. Many blacks surrendered. Others returned fire, and ultimately died. As the fires spread northward through Greenwood, countless black families continued to flee. Many were estimated to have died when trapped by the flames.

Aftermath
Casualties - Human deaths and injuries

The reported number of dead varies widely. On June 1, 1921, the Tulsa Tribune reported that 9 whites and 68 blacks had died in the riot, but shortly afterward changed this to a total of 176 dead. On the next day, the same paper reported the count as 9 whites and 21 blacks. The New York Times said that 77 people had been killed, including 68 blacks, but then lowered the total to 33. The Oklahoma Department of Vital Statistics count put the number of dead at 36: 26 black and 10 white. Maurice Willows, an American Red Cross social worker, reported that up to 300 blacks were killed. He also reported that there was a rush to bury the bodies and that no records were made of many burials.

Of the some 800 people admitted to local hospitals for injuries, the majority are believed to have been white, as both black hospitals had been burned in the rioting. Additionally, even if the white hospitals had admitted blacks because of the riot, against their usual segregation policy, injured blacks had little means to get to these hospitals, which were located across the city from Greenwood. More than 6,000 black Greenwood residents were arrested and detained at three local facilities: Convention Hall, now known as the Brady Theater, the Fairgrounds (then located about a mile northeast of Greenwood), and McNulty Park (a baseball stadium at Tenth Street and Elgin Avenue).

Several blacks were known to have died while in the internment centers. While most of the deaths are said to have been accurately recorded, no records have been found as to how many detainees were treated for injuries and survived. These numbers could reasonably have been more than a thousand, perhaps several thousand.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Omg.

Damn JC

I mean, I'm not gonna pretend I'm not glad somebody called them out for their shit but that Slasher guy was actually kinda mellow with his fanboyism. He seems desperate for the game to succeed and I feel sorry for him. He's not as ridiculous as many of the other cult followers but he absolutely did get the crazy train going.

That shit is a major turn off though. Good someone finally put that on the spot but I've been staying clear of those people since they tend to get manic as hell when they see me. I ain't about to give them an excuse to play victim anymore. Been letting their actions speak for themselves and it doesn't shock me that more people are getting irritated and disturbed by them.

Yeah pretty much anyone who tries to give advice in the form of cliches sort of pisses me off

It's annoys me the same way people building arguments out of quoting celebrities does.

Both feel like the person trying to make their opinion seem more legitimate by imitating something they think others have heard of.

Either that or the person wants to be heard but has nothing of relevance to say.

DominoKid

Jesus Christ I look like fucking Fred Hammond. Someone posted a video on my feed. I gotta drop some weight. Asap.

tumblr_m0k2njLlYj1r0a19v.gif

Gattsu25

Banned
Jesus Christ I look like fucking Fred Hammond. Someone posted a video on my feed. I gotta drop some weight. Asap.

Maybe not that bad but every time I see a picture of myself I have a moment of silence.

So far i've lost 15 pounds and counting. Just gotta keep it off this time.

For the record, I am looking forward to TEW, but maybe wait til the new ip comes out before you claim it your GOTY.

I mean, Destiny.

I'm actually looking forward to The Evil Within. Not sure if I'm picking up 2k15....

Who you trying to fool Moris

You already got a fully-paid pre-order for 2K, man. They own ya soul, breh. You aint got to lie Craig, you aint got to lie

Slayven

For the record, I am looking forward to TEW, but maybe wait til the new ip comes out before you claim it your GOTY.

I mean, Destiny.

Who you trying to fool Moris

You already got a fully-paid pre-order for 2K, man. They own ya soul, breh. You aint got to lie Craig, you aint got to lie

Only the gaming media industrial complex can hype games to a unreasonable level.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Eh, If it's good it's good, but the cult behind it is creepy.

Doesn't appeal to me (looks very uninspired and a drag) but it makes little difference if people end up liking it, I've got other games I'm waiting on... (priorities LOL)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to play The Evil Within, but not at launch

Gotta justify this PS4 purchase somehow

G-Fex

Eh, If it's good it's good, but the cult behind it is creepy.

Doesn't appeal to me (looks very uninspired and a drag) but it makes little difference if people end up liking it, I've got other games I'm waiting on... (priorities LOL)

I have a feeling the real shit will go down once either bad reviews or gaffers who will find fault in it and then post these in the review thread or the OT.

Bum rush? Nah it's gonna be a fucking swarm.

GEE I WONDER WHO IS GONNA MAKE THE OT :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom