• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Not from the nigga who had a mini meltdown about the direction of his precious thread on a gaming forum

This can't be life
meltdown? pls.

That must've been JC putting together his only serious post in years just to say how much he doesn't care.

the alts must be protected I guess

So that teachers taking advantage of a student thread is still going and I can't help but think that people don't really understand that their undermining of how deplorable a violation that was is pretty much how assholes like Jerry Sandusky got away with their crimes for years.

strobogo

Banned
So that teachers taking advantage of a student thread is still going and I can't help but think that people don't really understand that their undermining of how deplorable a violation that was is pretty much how assholes like Jerry Sandusky got away with their crimes for years.

Ya but dudes want to fuck. Don't you understand?

Dudes so quick to shit on religion but cultural relativism becomes valid once it involves sex.

Gross agendas are so easy to spot sometimes.

strobogo

Banned
In just like feed prices in the 1800s, shit like this is never relevant to the threads.

It should be for all those people popping in saying 14-16 is legal in their areas so they don't see what the problem is (completely disregarding the whole teacher banging student thing, which is also illegal and wrong). I mean 7 was the legal age of consent. Would those dudes be like, "well 7 is legal in my area, so I don't see what the problem is with a teacher banging his/her 7 year old student"? I would suggest...probably. Because there are some gross as fuck people on GAF.

KumaJG

Anyone else in BCT got sickle cell?
I know I can't be the only one.
Fall sucks, the rapid weather change fucks with my veins. I got a dumb crisis in my shoulder, I can play games but not efficiently. Luckily, it's not my right shoulder, so I can still draw today.

I got it. Haven't had any problems. Pretty cool that my cells are shape like bananas.

"For the sake of playing devil's advocate, if two barely attractive women in administrative positions both with a veritable slew of psychological issues that made them think taking advantage of a minor in the workplace somehow wouldn't have grossly apparent repercussions on judicial, moral and fiscal levels that would permanently leave emotional scars and screw everyone covered by the media out of a job wanted to get on this dick, I wouldn't say no, y'knowudimsayin?"

Imm0rt4l

Anyone else in BCT got sickle cell?
I know I can't be the only one.
Fall sucks, the rapid weather change fucks with my veins. I got a dumb crisis in my shoulder, I can play games but not efficiently. Luckily, it's not my right shoulder, so I can still draw today.
My father either has it or he has half a trait. I can donate blood/plasma so I probably don't even carry a trait. My sister can't donate blood though so I guess she has half a trait.

Look on the bright side, you're immune to malaria!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
On a lighter topic, what anime should I at least check out this season? Don't say terraformars.

Besides Gundam idk. Nothing jumps out at me

Have some friends saying Garo anime looks pretty good, but I don't really have an interest in Tokusatsu.

Then there's also the new Fate/Stay Night anime which looks like it's really expensive I guess

I'm usually pretty picky with anime but I've been liking what I've been seeing with Attack on Titan on Toonami. It's got some DBZ level pacing issues, though. A single mission usually gets carried out over the course of like 5 or 6 episodes, where if they just trimmed the fat by taking out flashbacks / internal monologues and streamlined the exposition it'd be a lot more tolerable.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah if you aren't part of a lucrative demographic for the medium, there's not much for you this season in anime.

I'm apart of the Gundam/Robot Fan one though so I have at least two shows to follow.

There's Seven Deadly Sins or whatever for shounen, but I kinda think outside of the big three there's not even a big interest in that type of series anymore overseas.

I'm usually pretty picky with anime but I've been liking what I've been seeing with Attack on Titan on Toonami. It's got some DBZ level pacing issues, though. A single mission usually gets carried out over the course of like 5 or 6 episodes, where if they just trimmed the fat by taking out flashbacks / internal monologues and streamlined the exposition it'd be a lot more tolerable.

Watch Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Most conflicts, aside from the overarching story are resolved in a single ep and there's little to no filler (and the little there is mainly to explain backstory or flesh out the world). And the main character is incredibly badass

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah if you aren't part of a lucrative demographic for the medium, there's not much for you this season in anime.

I'm apart of the Gundam/Robot Fan one though so I have at least two shows to follow.

There's Seven Deadly Sins or whatever for shounen, but I kinda think outside of the big three there's not even a big interest in that type of series anymore overseas.

This is true. I'll try g reco since I still like mech shows, fate zero was tight so I'll try out fsn, and LH was okay so I'll try out s2. 3 shows is enough for me though, don't like keeping up with anime to begin with (which is why I've dropped a huge numbers of shows compared to finishing).

And sins manga is tight, I have no motivation to ever watch a shonen anime if there's a manga for it tho.

Please. I'd like to start exposing myself to more novelists

I can give you a few to start out. Kirino Natsuo's books are always good reads. She writes thriller-eqsue books that are social commentary on Japanese society. I'd recommend; Out, Grotesque, Real World and her latest translated novel "The Goddess Chronicle" (it's a bit different than the three aforementioned but I liked it).

I'd also recommend reading Sendo Yoko's Yakuza Moon. It's her autobiography, gives an amazing personal perspective/view on her life as the daughter of a Yakuza crime boss and his fall from grace in addition to issues she ran to in life (drug addiction, eviction, abuse, etc).

There's also Haruki Murakami's books, like 1Q84, Kafka On The Shore, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World are some of my favorites.

Then there's Ryuu Murakami (no relation)'s Audition (which the movie is based on) and Coin Locker Babies

You also have Bedtime Eyes by Amy Yamada one of my favorite books. Ironically it was mandatory reading for me in Japan. I actually think much of BCT might like it. Amy Yamada is huge on black culture, she got into R&B back in middle school and had a fan of it and all thinks black ever since. Anyways, Bedtime Eyes is about interracial relationships, racism and xenophobia in Japan. It's a good read.

Korra season 4 first episode was good. But yea likewise

Watched Steins Gate for the first time. Liked it a alot

Co sign on Book 4 starting off good.

Watch Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Most conflicts, aside from the overarching story are resolved in a single ep and there's little to no filler (and the little there is mainly to explain backstory or flesh out the world). And the main character is incredibly badass

I already have, it's one of my favorites. The Tachikoma roundtables are one of my favorite expositional / worldbuilding devices ever.

Kraftwerk

I can give you a few to start out. Kirino Natsuo's books are always good reads. She writes thriller-eqsue books that are social commentary on Japanese society. I'd recommend; Out, Grotesque, Real World and her latest translated novel "The Goddess Chronicle" (it's a bit different than the three aforementioned but I liked it).

I'd also recommend reading Sendo Yoko's Yakuza Moon. It's her autobiography, gives an amazing personal perspective/view on her life as the daughter of a Yakuza crime boss and his fall from grace in addition to issues she ran to in life (drug addiction, eviction, abuse, etc).

There's also Haruki Murakami's books, like 1Q84, Kafka On The Shore, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World are some of my favorites.

Then there's Ryuu Murakami (no relation)'s Audition (which the movie is based on) and Coin Locker Babies

You also have Bedtime Eyes by Amy Yamada one of my favorite books. Ironically it was mandatory reading for me in Japan. I actually think much of BCT might like it. Amy Yamada is huge on black culture, she got into R&B back in middle school and had a fan of it and all thinks black ever since. Anyways, Bedtime Eyes is about interracial relationships, racism and xenophobia in Japan. It's a good read.

Thanks for these. Will need reading material for this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom