• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Wendy trying to be high class after years of selling diarrhea in a cup. Niggas bring that foul ass chilli into work stanking up the joint.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Garo is legit, best fight scenes since the 80s

I'll probably check it out. Was curious what you thought of it anyways. Both the source and the new adaption.

I can give you a few to start out. Kirino Natsuo's books are always good reads. She writes thriller-eqsue books that are social commentary on Japanese society. I'd recommend; Out, Grotesque, Real World and her latest translated novel "The Goddess Chronicle" (it's a bit different than the three aforementioned but I liked it).

I'd also recommend reading Sendo Yoko's Yakuza Moon. It's her autobiography, gives an amazing personal perspective/view on her life as the daughter of a Yakuza crime boss and his fall from grace in addition to issues she ran to in life (drug addiction, eviction, abuse, etc).

There's also Haruki Murakami's books, like 1Q84, Kafka On The Shore, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World are some of my favorites.

Then there's Ryuu Murakami (no relation)'s Audition (which the movie is based on) and Coin Locker Babies

You also have Bedtime Eyes by Amy Yamada one of my favorite books. Ironically it was mandatory reading for me in Japan. I actually think much of BCT might like it. Amy Yamada is huge on black culture, she got into R&B back in middle school and had a fan of it and all thinks black ever since. Anyways, Bedtime Eyes is about interracial relationships, racism and xenophobia in Japan. It's a good read.

Thanks. Going to see what I can get off of Amazon next week

This is true. I'll try g reco since I still like mech shows, fate zero was tight so I'll try out fsn, and LH was okay so I'll try out s2. 3 shows is enough for me though, don't like keeping up with anime to begin with (which is why I've dropped a huge numbers of shows compared to finishing).

Yeah me too. The lack of good shows coming out is part of it but more than that it's just the people into them. Feels like I've been tolerating and excusing a lot of things in these fanbases that really just disgusts me and I'm just now opening my eyes to it.

Kinda feel the same way with Videogames and shit like that whole #gamergate thing.

I can give you a few to start out. Kirino Natsuo's books are always good reads. She writes thriller-eqsue books that are social commentary on Japanese society. I'd recommend; Out, Grotesque, Real World and her latest translated novel "The Goddess Chronicle" (it's a bit different than the three aforementioned but I liked it).

I'd also recommend reading Sendo Yoko's Yakuza Moon. It's her autobiography, gives an amazing personal perspective/view on her life as the daughter of a Yakuza crime boss and his fall from grace in addition to issues she ran to in life (drug addiction, eviction, abuse, etc).

There's also Haruki Murakami's books, like 1Q84, Kafka On The Shore, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World are some of my favorites.

Then there's Ryuu Murakami (no relation)'s Audition (which the movie is based on) and Coin Locker Babies

You also have Bedtime Eyes by Amy Yamada one of my favorite books. Ironically it was mandatory reading for me in Japan. I actually think much of BCT might like it. Amy Yamada is huge on black culture, she got into R&B back in middle school and had a fan of it and all thinks black ever since. Anyways, Bedtime Eyes is about interracial relationships, racism and xenophobia in Japan. It's a good read.

BdGshDu.png

And thanks for the suggestions.

Are you a Kazuo Ishiguro fan? I have Never Let Me Go and An Artist of the Floating World sitting there but haven't gotten around to them yet... Though I guess he's more of a British author than Japanese.

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah me too. The lack of good shows coming out is part of it but more than that it's just the people into them. Feels like I've been tolerating and excusing a lot of things in these fanbases that really just disgusts me and I'm just now opening my eyes to it.

Kinda feel the same way with Videogames and shit like that whole #gamergate thing.

Yeah I get what you mean. Came to this back in spring, when everyone was recommending no game no life as the best anime of that season, and the show is fucking disgusting.

Basically just super picky nowadays. Works out and saves me time.

hypernima

Banned
I got it. Haven't had any problems. Pretty cool that my cells are shape like bananas.

What? You probably got the trait then.

My father either has it or he has half a trait. I can donate blood/plasma so I probably don't even carry a trait. My sister can't donate blood though so I guess she has half a trait.

Look on the bright side, you're immune to malaria!

Man, I'm in America though, not the motherland :(

I wanna order out again but I don't know what to get, definitely not the struggle pasta I got last time.

Best Tyler Perry anything I've seen.

I don't think I'd ever walk out of a movie thinking, "Wow, Tyler Perry's performance was great!", but I thought the same thing about Justin Timberlake before The Social Network. I should learn to trust Fincher's casting decisions. Plus dude does like hundreds of takes for one scene sometimes, he'll get the performance he's looking for through sheer polish.

Malyse

Please. I'd like to start exposing myself to more novelists

Meanwhile on the light novel front...

NisiOisiN and Kyou Shirodara are aces. Outside of that Mushi to Medama and Zero no Maria are fucking great. How high is your tolerance for harem bullshit?

Oh and yes Haruhi.

Damn I [IMPORTED FROM PLAY-ASIA] those 2 Yakuza games on PSP that were never released in the US. Apparently the folks that worked on Def Jam: Fight for New York worked on these and it shows. Trying out the first one now and I'm lightweight mad this didn't reach the states...I'd enjoy it a bit more if I could understand what was being said.

And I have to say, I'm still blown away by the [RETAIL PSP THAT I BOUGHT IN 2006]. For me, it came out of nowhere and I can't get over how optimized it is.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
rewatching last week's Doctor Who before this week's airs

The Doctor keeps playing, Danny is gonna slap the shit out of him one good time

Gaf race relations march on

Ok here's the story so far: Some football player was hollerin' on TV. Some morons said he was acting like a thug. Some other people who are so fucking dumb they need to wear nose plugs when it rains said ' that's racist' . So those shitheads have now set the precedent that 'thug' is now and forever will be a racist term. Otherwise the helmet wearing nose plug needing dickheads will need to find something else to be offended about on other people's behalf.

ReiGun

I like how we always "need to find something else to be offended about." Like I'm supposed to change my personal sensibilities to fit your standards.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Gaf race relations march on

calling him a thug makes you a "moron"

calling people out for calling him a thug makes you "fucking dumb", a "shithead", and a "helmet wearing nose plug wearing dickhead"

k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom