• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

you're not going to get it on this site of all places

or on bill maher's show (though he does make some good points every once in a while behind a shroud of fuckery and bias)

both sides of the discussion LOVE omitting key things in that topic though
As a Muslim their comments are inline with things I hear about my religion in my everyday life whether that be in social settings like college, interpersonal relationships or media I'm viewing. Just saying the thread encapsulates all of it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
As a Muslim their comments are inline with things I hear about my religion in my everyday life whether that be in social settings like college, interpersonal relationships or media I'm viewing. Just saying the thread encapsulates all of it.

where the thread is currently (freedom of speech is awesome as long as people aren't speaking freely)/fundamentally religious democracy/etc is actually a good spot though

there's plenty of shit on both sides still but like.... that's the best kind of discussion and debate you could reasonably hope for

still - when you've got countries executing people for simply not practicing, then you've got major issues that are going to cast a poor light on the entire community.

RP912

Banned
Because Martin was way better? I mean, that supporting cast...Bruh Man, Cole, Tommy's inexplicably not broke, but perpetually jobless ass, Pam, Shenaynay.

I only really remember Pops and that female security guard from Wayan's Brothers. And the theme song of course

True but better to bringing the show back out :/?

Kreed

still - when you've got countries executing people for simply not practicing, then you've got major issues that are going to cast a poor light on the entire community.

More Muslims who don't support this need to be speaking out IMO. Obviously these people have to "force" themselves onto US media, but it needs to be done if only to help the average US citizen separate Islam as a whole from extremist views/laws/groups.

RP912

Banned
yep yep

also

"flabbergastic"?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Flabbergastic

flabbergastic
to have an unusual urge to rape a cow. also can be said as a moo-diction.

iAfiigZ88JtoB.png

1408.gif

DY_nasty

More Muslims who don't support this need to be speaking out IMO. Obviously these people have to "force" themselves onto US media, but it needs to be done if only to help the average US citizen separate Islam as a whole from extremist views/laws/groups.

someone in the thread hit on the fact that us media didn't even try to mention things like this happening in egypt (however, right around this time was when the reporter was raped out there too)

so i mean... i never like to say its on the minority to prove itself but in the US, "they're the new niggers" i guess.

i still feel that christian radicals are far scarier mainly because they're hardly ever referred to as christian radicals

Infinite

We do our voices just isn't heard and people would much rather talk over us. Also this line of thinking is very problematic in itself. In any case what's Dy is saying is right but I think it should be looked at a bit more critically. Yes there are countries where he majority of the people are muslims do those things and they should be condemned. However there's Muslim countries that don't do such things.

DY_nasty

We do our voices just isn't heard and people would much rather talk over us. Also this line of thinking is very problematic in itself. In any case what's Dy is saying is right but I think it should be looked at a bit more critically. Yes there are countries where he majority of the people are muslims do those things and they should be condemned. However there's Muslim countries that don't do such things.
basically, muslim renaissance needs to hurry the fuck up

people will go through the quran and nitpick shit all day and forget that the bible is loaded with stuff that's just as stupid

Kreed

someone in the thread hit on the fact that us media didn't even try to mention things like this happening in egypt (however, right around this time was when the reporter was raped out there too)

so i mean... i never like to say its on the minority to prove itself but in the US, "they're the new niggers" i guess.

i still feel that christian radicals are far scarier mainly because they're hardly ever referred to as christian radicals

People like Bill Maher forget this too with Christianity and other religions. For example, Hitler would have been a "Christian radical". Christians have killed more people in the name of God/Jesus than Islam has over the course of history, but in "present day" people aren't exposed to it on the news 24/7.

As black people we know the US media is constantly screwing up shit when it comes to the black community. Hell look at the "Thug Life" cook book topic and the discussion about US media calling black people thugs. But regardless of the issue, black people in this country always speak up, either on the news or on social media, because we know we have to if we want anything done properly. Protests/Al Sharpton Hotline/etc... I know Muslim groups are speaking up too in the US/outside the US and they are being blocked/not getting proper coverage, but they have to get on the same level somehow IMO if they want to change the tone in this country. It shouldn't be up to the Ben Afflecks to be the voice of reason.

DY_nasty

also, ben affleck didn't know what the fuck he was talking about in that back and forth either. dude just felt like something was wrong - he had no idea why it was wrong, just that it was. that kind of shit is just 2 levels away from "i don't see color"
Not purely but mostly

nah

i'd feel a certain way if there wasn't a shitload of money that was fastened down to countries that absolutely do have strong regional influence and strong cultural say in that area

but that isn't the case at all.

harSon

Banned
I'll just post what I posted in the other thread:

My issue with the whole thing is the disproportionate demonization of Muslims with respect to its fellow Abrahamic followers. Media has basically been weaponized to demonize an entire demographic of people. The news media paints a very one sided narrative, and utilizes the power of omission - completely disregarding opposing angles - making the overall picture much more sinister. Hollywood piggybacks on this vilification and hamfists it into their movies, turning the religion and its followers into enemy number one. This hodgepodge of fuckery and dehumanization of what we consider to be the ultimate "other," brews into a society that views the region as whole - and its people - as scum undeserving of life... instead of pointing such hatred towards those who are truly deserving of such ill judgement. We view them this way because there's no readily apparent examples to suggest otherwise.

Yes, Islam contains some of the most violent followers of any religion. There's no questioning that. Yes, an unfortunately decent percentage of its followers are fanatical, violent and morally repugnant. There's no questioning that either. And yes, many of the religion's followers inexcusably underscore these barbaric ideals held by the radicals - although they themselves are not what we'd consider to be on equal footing with that of extremists . I agree with all of this. Where I disagree with Bill Maher and many of his contemporaries, is the notion that the religion is inherently evil in ways that Christianity is not, and the absurdly broad strokes through which they paint an entire demographic of people. It's just an incredibly irresponsible and damaging thing to do, and its the type of bullshit that fosters an environment where society accepts military campaigns within these countries - and the collateral fallback that comes with it.

Islam's detractors refuse to believe that ulterior factors are a huge aspect of the religion's standing at this moment in time. Stuff like the residues of colonialism, widespread poverty, unstable government, corruption, outsider mingling, etc. Christianity placed under the very same circumstances is every bit as evil. Nigeria for example, a country that encompasses every issue in the before mentioned sentence whole heartedly, has a massive human rights stain regarding its treatment of children within rural Christian areas. Nigerian Pentecostal pastors have created an environment where children are being accused of witchcraft for various reasons, resulting in their abandonment, abuse, torture, mutilation and/or murder. But we don't hear about this stuff from Southern Nigeria, instead we hear about Boko Haram in the Northern half of the country - because it fits the narrative. In many parts of Africa you have Evangelical outsiders taking advantage of weak central governments, widespread poverty and the ignorance that comes with it, to instill homophobic ideals and legislation. But you won't hear much about that, because it doesn't fit the narrative.

The issue is deserving of debate, but when your starting off point completely disregards all ulterior factors, choosing instead to place sole blame on the book, then it's just going to amount to a roundtable of horse shit.

Infinite

also, ben affleck didn't know what the fuck he was talking about in that back and forth either. dude just felt like something was wrong - he had no idea why it was wrong, just that it was. that kind of shit is just 2 levels away from "i don't see color"

nah

i'd feel a certain way if there wasn't a shitload of money that was fastened down to countries that absolutely do have strong regional influence and strong cultural say in that area

but that isn't the case at all.

Ben Affleck got beside himself no doubt and inadvertly proved Bill Maher's point.

Anyways you mean countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Israel even? Not sure that counters what I'm saying. We in the west also have a huge responsibility in the Middle East and we continue to fuck it up

DY_nasty

Ben Affleck got beside himself no doubt and inadvertly proved Bill Maher's point.

Anyways you mean countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Israel even? Not sure that counters what I'm saying. We in the west also have a huge responsibility in the Middle East and we continue to fuck it up

yeah

and by referring to several countries, i'm really just saying that they could be doing a hell of a lot more. it seems like saudi arabia in particular just loves to sit back and watch or even instigate.

the west's responsibility is moral, antiquated, not genuine, and simply incapable of solving the vast majority of problems for one reason or another. people hate the world police until they want the world police, etc

Infinite

Idk, the whole region has been pretty wonky since before Biblical times. Before Honest Abe and Jay-Z got together to form the Illuminati.
European imperialism and the ongoing war on terror certainly didn't help. I guess it's easy for us to say that and shift responsibility entirely instead of realizing that we might be a bit culpable.

The crazy thing about Saudi Arabia is that they have some of the more draconian practices of any Muslim country but that's who we decide to continue support and fund even after they proven they don't give a shit about the rest of the region and restoring stability there.

strobogo

Banned
European imperialism and the ongoing war on terror certainly didn't help. I guess it's easy for us to say that and shift responsibility entirely instead of realizing that we might be a bit culpable.

The crazy thing about Saudi Arabia is that they have some of the more draconian practices of any Muslim country but that's who we decide to continue support and fund even after they proven they don't give a shit about the rest of the region and restoring stability there.

Oh in the last 150-200 years, absolutely zero doubt about that. The West has done nothing but stir shit up in the Middle East (and pretty much everywhere else). My point was that people try making it a Muslim thing, or Jews vs Muslims, or Christians vs Jews vs Muslims in a cage match when that area has been popping off before there was even a concept for any Abrahamic religion. It's really stupid to blame it on one or two religions that are there now when all that shit started well before either existed.

America in general has been a real cunt to pretty much every region of the world at various times over the past 60-70 years. The shit we've done in the Middle East and Central America is shameful.

So my lazy Saturday continues.

Just finished watching Galaxy Quest, now I'm watching Harlock. Nursing this bottle of crown. Had a turkey and Havarti sandwich. Fed a stray dog off my balcony. Today is fantastic. If any of you all got Castlevania HD, ultra SF4 or any other Multiplayer ps3 game let me know. I'm down for whatever.

And you cats don't need to have a war of words in here. Real talk.

Mortemis

Banned
On a lighter topic, what anime should I at least check out this season? Don't say terraformars.

Didn't know you were Muslim, eid Mubarak.

The only shows I'm checking out are fsn, log horizon s2, and g reco. Haven't heard of anything else for this season tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom