• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naruto ends next month.

To anyone still reading it...We're almost free, you guys.

Good.

That stupid ass Sasuke speech was barely intelligible.

How I miss the Big 3 glory days. Fucking Aizen and Tobi breaking shit.

He looks like Moses Magnum

panel_119_2.png

Yakub looks more like a black Leader (the Hulk) to me. Brehs, does that mean we all have a bit of gamma radiation power cursing through our veins? Explains those fast twitch muscle fibers and "good guy with gun" destruction abilities.

Got invited to an early screening of this Thursday. Can't wait

jBWlY84.jpg

Couldn't find any dark skinned people, tho?

RP912

Banned
I had some chocolate chip waffles and sausage today for breakfast...it didn't click with me at all for some reason. Them again I'm not a big breakfast fan.

I can eat sugar grits right. I kno that's a BCT favorite.

We sell hairdryers and rollerblades for no reason so probably yea
Now I'm thinking about Beef and Gorillas on some roller blades helping customers like Sonic

*does 360 tail spin off mini ramp* "what TV are you looking for ma'am?"

If they weren't on set and had those stares going, a whole squad of police would have dumped clips into them and then say "they all went for our guns".

Even still, whites have a long history of appropriating coolness, not caring to know its pathogenic origins, particularly in music. Because many whites feel that US society is now "post racial," enabling them to "get their black on" without a physical presence in the black community, white label executives package black culture and style through white artists without the burdens of racial disadvantage. Manufacturing coolness for white consumption through the use of black memes is a burgeoning industry, it always has been. This is an important finding when cultivating a white blue-eyed mainstream soul performer touched by African American musical expression and inspiration that lends to their own blending of unique panache. Elvis was one of the original white artists to gain worldwide fame by performing iterations of black music and black "moves." In more recent years, Memphis's other native son, Justin Timberlake as well as Eminem, Macklemore and Robin Thicke have all been celebrated for capturing in song or sound the spirit of black music, and they have all made a killing in record sales and digital downloads. But none more than Justin Bieber who's net worth is a reported 200 million dollars.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/darron-t-smith-phd/the-transformation-of-jus_b_5900958.html

best paragraphs:

Because blacks have little to no control over their social condition in life, cool pose then is a source of empowerment. It was erected deep within the psychology of black men and boys to assuage the pain and legacy of restricted opportunities from mainstream sources of success to include material wealth and comfort, components of the "American Dream." When viewed and labeled by the white world as deviant, deficient, promiscuous, criminal and incompetent, cool provides the smokescreen to hide the torment and anger deep within the soul. This process of self-preservation is accomplished with a distinct style of coping through surface acting, an exhibition of physical actions intended to ward off the harmful effects of white racism and cynicism that can lead to feelings of self-doubt and interpersonal angst. Cool enhances the ego and sense of pride while concealing deep scars of black male group marginalization. Not always done under conscious impulses, but instead involves unconscious thought and actions, it allows some black males to present a hard exterior by showing little or no fear in situations that dictate a dynamic interaction. Cool pose is about the maintenance of rough and tumble masculinity through the demands of living in a black body, enabling black males to develop thick skin through interpersonal strivings to enhance their self-esteem. Cool, then, is a projection of confidence in the midst of insecurity, and being cool brings some semblance of order to life for black males that they might not otherwise have.

People are stereotypically drawn to cool black males because they represent vitality, making them instantly marketable. The way black males are casted in the media highlights the aesthetics of cool, rendering it a commodity to be bought and sold by the sports/entertainment industrial complex. But cool came about as a way to survive the harsh brutality and environmental morass of slavery and its lingering effects up until the present day. In a racist society where stigmatized males of color are locked out of virtually every major institution and denied access to jobs, high quality education and decent and affordable health care, all that is left to defend is one's pride, something that many black men lose their lives over daily in some form as a consequence of being cool.

Even still, whites have a long history of appropriating coolness, not caring to know its pathogenic origins, particularly in music. Because many whites feel that US society is now "post racial," enabling them to "get their black on" without a physical presence in the black community, white label executives package black culture and style through white artists without the burdens of racial disadvantage. Manufacturing coolness for white consumption through the use of black memes is a burgeoning industry, it always has been.

Inhale that shit deep, boys.

What's interesting about culture appropriation in music, is that often those white artists have some black faux handler introducing them and black fans claiming them as their own. Both Justins stand out. Iggy is the most egregious and cynical example of the process of packaging black culture in a white avatar, and she has TI wearing a cape for her.

What's interesting about culture appropriation in music, is that often those white artists have some black faux handler introducing them and black fans claiming them as their own. Both Justins stand out. Iggy is the most egregious and cynical example of the process of packaging black culture in a white avatar, and she has TI wearing a cape for her.

It's because it's good for money. That black handler provides the requisite amount of black authenticity, which enables everyone to get paid via this...stage performance.

In the end, it's the dollars and sense.

Soooo.... this might come of a bit strange but it is a honest question.
This is a picture of my grandfather
http://i.imgur.com/qlgJqGm.jpg
This is a picture of my father
http://i.imgur.com/zYLEklR.jpg
Both are from Calabria, southern Italy. We don't know if we have African blood in our family but it's likely giving the history of Calabria. Now the question, just from the look, would you consider these man black?

Grandpa - Quite possibly. Dat nose & complexion.

Pops - Well, that's gramp's son, so if gramps has some close roots, sure.

Go have a family DNA test done. Someone like this:

https://www.familytreedna.com/login.aspx

That'll answer some of the basic genealogy questions. We can only hazard guesses looking at images.

Malyse

Soooo.... this might come of a bit strange but it is a honest question.
This is a picture of my grandfather
http://i.imgur.com/qlgJqGm.jpg
This is a picture of my father
http://i.imgur.com/zYLEklR.jpg
Both are from Calabria, southern Italy. We don't know if we have African blood in our family but it's likely giving the history of Calabria. Now the question, just from the look, would you consider these man black?

I think they would be treated as black. Were they?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I think they would be treated as black. Were they?
Not really I guess. Many people in the part where I come from look like that and because of that people don't actually talk or care about you skin colour. But we southerns face racism in the north of Italy. There you can get strange looks because of how we look and speak. Funnily enough my son is blonde and has blue eyes while I'm lighter skinned but retained the dark hair and the prominent nose.

oh man that AssCreed parity thread

I admit I hitched a little at the stutter on the synch cutscenes when I played it in Vegas last week, but overall I had fun with it. I did wonder why we were playing Xbox Ones after last year's performance.

Fun enough to write 3,800+ goddamn words about the game. It's very much a new start for the franchise, with all the potential and problems that status may bring.

EDIT: The team at Ubisoft must be feeling rough today. It was the big embargo and the signal is all parity talk.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I admit I hitched a little at the stutter on the synch cutscenes when I played it in Vegas last week, but overall I had fun with it. I did wonder why we were playing Xbox Ones after last year's performance.

Fun enough to write 3,800+ goddamn words about the game. It's very much a new start for the franchise, with all the potential and problems that status may bring.

Maybe the 900p was to throw people off
so people wouldn't notice multiple previews being fairly negative about it.
Good.

That stupid ass Sasuke speech was barely intelligible.

How I miss the Big 3 glory days. Fucking Aizen and Tobi breaking shit.

Got back into the series with the Pain arc. Immediately lost interest in it again after the Pain arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom