• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortemis

Banned
I'll just quote what I said from the Raven thread:

I can understand trying to step away from the term African American to something more inclusive, but what gets me is calling yourself a colorless person.

Like, okay she is american. I consider myself american, and probably most people in this thread, but why disassociate yourself from your skin color? Sure she doesn't see herself as black, but it won't stop others from seeing her as that and it surely won't take away all the problems she'll still face as a black actress. Like oldschool says, you still keep all the negatives of being black.

Still, if her comments are her just not being able to speak for herself properly, then I don't have all that much of a problem since I'm mostly getting caught up in a phrase. My biggest problem is what ishi mentions:
That people will see this as another stain on black Americans is what makes me feel annoyed by her statement.

and you guys are being too hard on Raven man. I mean she probably realized she was gay/bi from all the time around Holly Robinson Peete and Eddie Murphey in his transsexual years. (1997 when she was 12, Hanging with Mr Cooper ended and Dr Doolittle was starting filming)

Malyse

It's her body, yeah, but still :(

TlkBYkw.jpg
nO1UyUl.jpg

She looks like a frightened animal.

I honestly find it weird people seek individuality yet want everyone to come together at the same time. Can't really embrace one side and want the other. Especially not with the social norms we have today.

"Man people should stop seeing race, we all human beings man" That gets on my nerves, so naive.

It's the lazy go to response for people who don't want to acknowledge that racism still exists. Maybe hundreds of years from now when everyone is the same ambiguous shade people can say this, but that sure as fuck isn't now

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
"Man people should stop seeing race, we all human beings man" That gets on my nerves, so naive.

I think what bothers me the most about these statements is how people act like it's such an original thought that no one else had before.

"We're all just humans why can't people just understand that???"

It's a view that must be physically impossible to hold without being preachy. Just about everyone who holds it expresses it the same way.

xnipx

I just love how the "we're all just humans" crowd is usually specifically speaking to minorities as if they should just stop complaining and move on with their lives.

Why isn't this message ever relayed to the people actually responsible for carrying out institutionalized racism and keeping minorities down?

Slayven

It's the lazy go to response for people who don't want to acknowledge that racism still exists. Maybe hundreds of years from now when everyone is the same ambiguous shade people can say this, but that sure as fuck isn't now

I think what bothers me the most about these statements is how people act like it's such an original thought that no one else had before.

"We're all just humans why can't people just understand that???"

It's a view that must be physically impossible to hold without being preachy. Just about everyone who holds it expresses it the same way.

It skips over so much shit, history least of all. If it was so easy wouldn't it have been done by now?

What are her thoughts on drone strikes and what not, considering her Americanism is the only thing she'll claim.

This makes no sense. People who identify as black won't necessarily speak on all aspects of black culture. Plus black culture has no clear leadership/government.

Slayven

The world is not fair, Monique wins an Oscar, while Countess Vaughn is on some fuck ass show on Tv One. Not even BET, TV One. At leas it ain't Bounce.

J10

Banned
Raven sounds like she just doesn't want to be a "representative." She's black. She's a woman. She's gay. Who the hell would honestly want to deal with being that combination of things? She obviously sees the way the world treats all three of those groups. When she says she thinks of herself as an "American human," I think what she's really saying to the world is "Please don't shit on me, I didn't ask to be born this way." It's a defensive position and I can't be mad at it.

Its a defensive position against white supremacy. It's different, but I accept "black" and reject "african-american" because no one gets to take away my ability to define myself as I choose. Fundamentally, it's all semantic bullshit, but if it helps you keep your head up? if it's your only bit of power or pushback? Keep doing it.

May not agree..."but I understand" /chrisrock

Raven sounds like she just doesn't want to be a "representative." She's black. She's a woman. She's gay. Who the hell would honestly want to deal with being that combination of things? She obviously sees the way the world treats all three of those groups. When she says she thinks of herself as an "American human," I think what she's really saying to the world is "Please don't shit on me, I didn't ask to be born this way." It's a defensive position and I can't be mad at it.

i'm sure she doesn't. She was on Jodie Foster levels of private life and just earlier this year said she's going to be a full time student. Being out to herself for the last 16 years, in the hollywood business watching all the shit that went down before recently.

Or..her weave business didn't get off the ground and she angry at them blacks so hard she even took one of their women

The part of Raven's interview that made me double take was the "I"m American and that's a colorless person."

Nah, American is color inclusive, not colorless. You're a black women, you're also American. As much as you want to avoid that conversation and those labels, they're there with or without your consent. Trying to transcend that is just being naive and to a degree kinda sticking your head in the sand.

Sooperkool if you see that, can you tell me if you heard of Coal Black and the Sebbens Dwarves?

Just saw this, been out of pocket for a minute. But yes, I have heard of the banned cartoon and even have seen it once or twice. Shit, I saw Song of the South in school.

Mortemis

Banned
Think I'll skip out on AC Unity this round.

Bayo 2, Smash, KH 2.5, and Pokemon will end my year. Sleeping dogs when its at a good price too. Don't have hope for GTA V ps4 getting cheap enough by years end.

Somebody needs to tell the /cops/ that we're Americans. Since people are all about the "I don't see color, I'm colorless, I'm a human just like we're all humans" shtick.

And I really do think that some (but not all) of this "new black" bullshit is push back from treatment in the past. When you have to put up with "You're not black enough, you're not black, you speak white, why don't you play ball, why do you like rock music" bullshit from your own race, it might fuck your mind up enough to want to separate yourself from them. Meanwhile, white people still see you as black. And they always will, no matter how you speak, no matter how much you share "their" culture, no matter if you marry one of them, etc, etc, etc.

Trey

This makes no sense. People who identify as black won't necessarily speak on all aspects of black culture. Plus black culture has no clear leadership/government.

It's a crack to highlight how hypocritical it is to say you don't like labels, but in the same breath say you're an American, which is itself a label. And given her predilection for being an American human above all else, I wonder what that entails.

Labels are important and they mean something.

Man I want to jump in that "Discrimination against men" thread so bad and simply go "Oh, you hate how America stereotypes you based on the actions of a few huh...tell me more."

Somebody needs to tell the /cops/ that we're Americans. Since people are all about the "I don't see color, I'm colorless, I'm a human just like we're all humans" shtick.

And I really do think that some (but not all) of this "new black" bullshit is push back from treatment in the past. When you have to put up with "You're not black enough, you're not black, you speak white, why don't you play ball, why do you like rock music" bullshit from your own race, it might fuck your mind up enough to want to separate yourself from them. Meanwhile, white people still see you as black. And they always will, no matter how you speak, no matter how much you share "their" culture, no matter if you marry one of them, etc, etc, etc.

Yup.

Malyse

Man I want to jump in that "Discrimination against men" thread so bad and simply go "Oh, you hate how America stereotypes you based on the actions of a few huh...tell me more."

If I had an alt and alts were a thing that was allowed, I would be trolling the ever-loving-fuck outta that thread. With emperical facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom