• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I didn't but what's all this I hear about her saying she doesn't identify as black? God I'm so tired of this type of bs.

You don't have your "new black card" yet? Gives you absolutely none of the societal benefits of not being black, while allowing you to keep all of the societal "negatives" that come with being black. It sure does look pretty in the wallet though.

I admit I hitched a little at the stutter on the synch cutscenes when I played it in Vegas last week, but overall I had fun with it. I did wonder why we were playing Xbox Ones after last year's performance.

Fun enough to write 3,800+ goddamn words about the game. It's very much a new start for the franchise, with all the potential and problems that status may bring.

EDIT: The team at Ubisoft must be feeling rough today. It was the big embargo and the signal is all parity talk.

Fantastic write up! Even more excited for the game that I was when it was announced

I didn't but what's all this I hear about her saying she doesn't identify as black? God I'm so tired of this type of bs.

Still, Raven cautioned, “I don’t want to be labeled ‘gay.’ I want to be labeled ‘a human who loves humans.’”

She added, “I’m tired of being labeled. I’m an American. I’m not an African-American. I’m an American.”

A surprised Winfrey responded, “Oh, girl. Don’t set up Twitter on fire. Oh, my lord. What did you just say?”

Raven explained, “I mean, I don’t know where my roots go to. I don’t know how far back they go. … I don’t know what country in Africa I’m from, but I do know that my roots are in Louisiana. I’m an American. And that’s a colorless person.”

When Winfrey warned, “You’re going to get a lot of flak for saying you’re not African-American. You know that, right,” Raven reiterated, “I don’t label myself.”

She continued, “I have darker skin. I have a nice, interesting grade of hair. I connect with Caucasian. I connect with Asian. I connect with black. I connect with Indian. I connect with each culture.”

Quipped Winfrey, “You are a melting pot in one body.”

“Isn’t that what America’s supposed to be?” replied Raven.

After their sit-down, Winfrey posted an Instagram snap of her with the young star and wrote, “She’s so self-aware and comfortable in her own skin. Love that!”

People don't want to be labeled until that label directly concerns them.

I don't necessarily care about my ancestral roots but I still identify as black because that's who I am because that's how the world reacts to me and how I effect the world.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
You don't have your "new black card" yet? Gives you absolutely none of the societal benefits of not being black, while allowing you to keep all of the societal "negatives" that come with being black. It sure does look pretty in the wallet though.

LOL

That's how I see it tho. There's no benefits either way for you when you disassociate from your people to be with people who likely see you as an ass kisser and your people will call you a sellout.

No matter what you do, as a black American, you are always black. No matter what ass kissing you do, you're not going to be anything but black when it comes down to it. Stand with your people and be proud of your heritage. Don't let anyone influence you enough to despise your race.

I feel people are allowing themselves to be told what the black community is, rather than perceiving it their own way. It's fair to acknowledge the community has struggles but it's fucked up to not commend your own people for what has been accomplished. If you don't know about these accomplishments, educate yourself.

I don't think I'm naive, I might be for this but I do feel like Ferguson shown that the black community isn't as divided as people like to assert. We are not afraid to band together and we have love for each other, it's the media and people that say shit like "new black" that makes it seem otherwise.

Regarding Raven, I would respect what she said had she acknowledged her heritage all while saying she's American and identifies with all Americans because we share a home and love for democracy and freedom and skin color/race shouldn't divide us or some shit like that.

I'm tired of people not knowing how to fucking talk about this shit.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
People don't want to be labeled until that label directly concerns them.

I don't necessarily care about my ancestral roots but I still identify as black because that's who I am because that's how the world reacts to me and how I effect the world.

This is how I view it too.

I will say, the focus on the "African" in African American is rather outdated (as all hell), and silly as shit when we throw people from other countries in the mix. It's not us making that choice though and definitely not anyone from Africa.

Trey

Still, Raven cautioned, “I don’t want to be labeled ‘gay.’ I want to be labeled ‘a human who loves humans.’”

She added, “I’m tired of being labeled. I’m an American. I’m not an African-American. I’m an American.”

A surprised Winfrey responded, “Oh, girl. Don’t set up Twitter on fire. Oh, my lord. What did you just say?”

Raven explained, “I mean, I don’t know where my roots go to. I don’t know how far back they go. … I don’t know what country in Africa I’m from, but I do know that my roots are in Louisiana. I’m an American. And that’s a colorless person.”

When Winfrey warned, “You’re going to get a lot of flak for saying you’re not African-American. You know that, right,” Raven reiterated, “I don’t label myself.”

She continued, “I have darker skin. I have a nice, interesting grade of hair. I connect with Caucasian. I connect with Asian. I connect with black. I connect with Indian. I connect with each culture.”

After their sit-down, Winfrey posted an Instagram snap of her with the young star and wrote, “She’s so self-aware and comfortable in her own skin. Love that!”

I don't like labels - I'm an American!

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I'm gonna leave this here because I posted this in the thread about what she's said.

What is black culture? If you grow up in an Americanized home as a black person, that's how you live and that's what you identify with. If you're from another culture, you identify with that.

Where the hell are people getting that black Americans have some sort of culture vastly different from white Americans, etc? If we're not directly influenced by our culture from Africa (and there's many African cultures so wtf) then odds are we are American in culture.

That people want to disassociate from Black Americans culture to be American is bullshit because it makes no sense. You just want to escape the Black aspect because ultimately that's what it all comes down to.

Don't spit or smoke dude, you don't want a dry socket. I've heard grown men cry due to that shit.

Don't be up in here trying to contribute now, fan!

ishibear:

Don't call me black. But talk to my agent about any roles seeking to cast a black actress, plz. Thx. - Raven.

Got back into the series with the Pain arc. Immediately lost interest in it again after the Pain arc.

Man, Pain was cool. I didn't' like the Kakashi jobbing, though. Also, Naruto needing more power after fucking up Pain is just weird.

Malyse

Not really I guess. Many people in the part where I come from look like that and because of that people don't actually talk or care about you skin colour. But we southerns face racism in the north of Italy. There you can get strange looks because of how we look and speak. Funnily enough my son is blonde and has blue eyes while I'm lighter skinned but retained the dark hair and the prominent nose.

There's a tasteless joke here about a milk man or mail man, but I won't make it.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I really liked Raven but it's things like this that makes me want to avoid her like the plague. Same with Pharell. I just don't like it and it's hard to ignore it in favor of continuing to view them with appreciation.

Malyse

Wonder what storm chamber thinks about raven

Why isn't your tag "pony up, bitch"?

I really liked Raven but it's things like this that makes me want to avoid her like the plague. Same with Pharell. I just don't like it and it's hard to ignore it in favor of continuing to view them with appreciation.

I've been of the opinion that life was better* when we were too naive to know how awful celebs were.

*not better per se, but more blissful in ignorance, I suppose.

that's so raven

20_lauren_kalman.jpg

how to invert the gold grill

KumaJG

I think it on along the lines she want to be seen as an individual instead as someone who is part of black culture. Black Culture as a whole suffers from lack of individuality.

Trey

I wonder if these feelings of disassociation from black culture by people like Raven and Pharrell and Tiger Woods and Zoe Saldana are engendered from their personal interactions with blacks during their respective period of notoriety. And that their relative fame and income causes them to insulate themselves from said culture, while someone like President Obama couldn't and wouldn't do the same because it would be actively detrimental to his job, as he has a large responsibility in representing black people.

Raven's still my girl though. I don't think she's embarrassed about her culture at all.

What are her thoughts on drone strikes and what not, considering her Americanism is the only thing she'll claim.

Malyse

I think it on along the lines she want to be seen as an individual instead as someone who is part of black culture. Black Culture as a whole suffers from lack of individuality.

Be that as it may, I don't truck with this false illusion that we can ever "escape" our identity as black and I feel making overtures such as this denies the centuries of oppression we've faced and still face to this day. Troubled vs Thug and 28 hours.

Coon Train 3 is filling up fast

Stacey Dash congratulated her on Twitter

I laughed out loud.

Kreed

I'll just quote what I said from the Raven thread:

I probably would have worded it different than Raven did in the interview, but I get what she's attempting to say. Black is more inclusive as a label (Haitians, Jamaicans, etc...) vs African American and like she's saying, not many black people in the US/countries outside of Africa relate to/have been to Africa, similar to most of the non Native Americans in this country that don't give themselves a label that contains both their home country and their ancestral continent.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

But black culture is really Black American culture ~ American culture is key here. We don't really have differences from white Americans unless someone is directly tied to their roots in Africa.

We all are individuals. Being black is also part of us. Thinking otherwise is merely the negative stereotypes that black people are a hivemind.

@DreamDrop

I agree. I try not to give a damn about these people and their personal life but when you pull stunts like these, I can't get behind it.

Malyse

But black culture is really Black American culture ~ American culture is key here. We don't really have differences from white Americans unless someone is directly tied to their roots in Africa.

We all are individuals. Being black is also part of us. Thinking otherwise is merely the negative stereotypes that black people are a hivemind.

@DreamDrop

I agree. I try not to give a damn about these people and their personal life but when you pull stunts like these, I can't get behind it.

Plus it's going to greatly effect the generation's coming up. Not knowing you black will get you killed.

Dogs smoke crack?

No, they sniff it.

sPwgpLj.gif

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I'll just quote what I said from the Raven thread:

I get what she's saying as well, but as I said earlier, I feel like these celebs can't express themselves clearly and don't know how to discuss these topics without seeming overly naive and dissociative.

She could have acknowledged herself as black but used that she's American to say people deeming her (and other minorities) as nothing but their race are wrong. Americans are a melting pot and we shouldn't discriminate in a country that prides itself on freedom and our acceptance of differences.

She's not very articulate and it's damaging for what she's trying to say.

That people will see this as another stain on black Americans is what makes me feel annoyed by her statement.

Malyse

I get what she's saying as well, but as I said earlier, I feel like these celebs can't express themselves clearly and don't know how to discuss these topics without seeming overly naive and dissociative.

She could have acknowledged herself as black but used that she's American to say people deeming her (and other minorities) as nothing but their race are wrong. Americans are a melting pot and we shouldn't discriminate in a country that prides itself on freedom and our acceptance of differences.

That people will see this as another stain on black Americans is what makes me feel annoyed by her statement.

T'wixt her and that thread, there's a lot of naivety spilling out.

Word for word. Literally, PLAY by PLAY. I just noped out of there. Bout to lose my life fightin' with these people. and I'm not even personally involved. All my multis are on PC.

GAF makes me feel bad for wanting an XBO. The Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, Mirror's Edge 2, GTAV Port, Alien: Isolation and Fibbage alone are probably going to keep me sated all generation.

Well, that and Smash 4. The only reason I ever even got a Gamecube / Wii was to play the of-the-time Smash title, and it's not looking any different for the Wii U. I'm waiting until Black Friday before I make any big purchases, though.

Kreed

This is my biggest issue as well. Celebrities jumping onto Oprah's platform and saying things half assed/needing translation in regards to the US black community at large is not good for anybody.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
GAF makes me feel bad for wanting an XBO. The Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, Mirror's Edge 2, GTAV Port, Alien: Isolation and Fibbage alone are probably going to keep me sated all generation.

Well, that and Smash 4. The only reason I ever even got a Gamecube / Wii was to play the of-the-time Smash title, and it's not looking any different for the Wii U. I'm waiting until Black Friday before I make any big purchases, though.

There's plenty of fun games to play for any system, enjoy the Bone, I know I do. Horizon2 is nuttttttttttts.

This part rubbed me the wrong way in particular for some reason

Coon Train 3 is filling up fast

Stacey Dash congratulated her on Twitter

It's a coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom