• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

Exactly what a man from Lancastershire would say.
Lancastercestershire, if you don't mind.

I dunno about that thread. It is messed up that dudes are under immediate suspicion, but now it's devolving into 'feminists don't care about us' my eyes are rolling like a fucked slot machine.

Slayven

I dunno about that thread. It is messed up that dudes are under immediate suspicion, but now it's devolving into 'feminists don't care about us' my eyes are rolling like a fucked slot machine.

It always descends into that shit. It was what it was created to do..

ReiGun

I don't understand the need to ask others to ignore a large part of your social identity in your personal quest for individuality.One, it doesn't fucking work because whether you like it or not, your race, sexuality, religion, etc. is going to have an effect on the social context you live no matter how you personally choose to identify yourself. Second, it makes a far more powerful statment to say "Yes. I am black/gay/Muslim/whatever and I'm also all these other things that make me uniquely who I am." It's like we've turned counting ourselves as a part of a community into some weird rejection of individuality.

Also, I wish some of these "new black" celebs would/could just keep it 100 and say they don't want to be too strongly associated with being black because they don't want to risk fucking up all that money they're getting from white audiences.

Lol. This sucks.

be8d988c791be00ee7de185a2ce2b7db.png

G-Fex

But Aiii, rightful heir to Fex as a hater of EVERYTHING (especially women except for his waifu), says the game is garbage.

I don't hate everything.

Know what I hate? I hate the idea that there's a big group (IE FUCKING EVERYBODY) who think that if you are not playing the latest thing, you're either crazy or stupid. God forbid you play something not new and enjoy it.

Also I hate TEW fans

and Chris Pratt

Then they'll ignore threads about female-on-male sexual abuse.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I don't understand the need to ask others to ignore a large part of your social identity in your personal quest for individuality.One, it doesn't fucking work because whether you like it or not, your race, sexuality, religion, etc. is going to have an effect on the social context you live no matter how you personally choose to identify yourself. Second, it makes a far more powerful statment to say "Yes. I am black/gay/Muslim/whatever and I'm also all these other things that make me uniquely who I am." It's like we've turned counting ourselves as a part of a community into some weird rejection of individuality.

Also, I wish some of these "new black" celebs would/could just keep it 100 and say they don't want to be too strongly associated with being black because they don't want to risk fucking up all that money they're getting from white audiences.

I agree 100%.

Mrs Manky has a point as well. It is possible that some of this is backlash from fucked up experience from your own race but even in the event of that, I feel growing into adulthood, you get over all those hurt feelings. Everyone usually does. Including the assholes who make it a habit of questioning your ethnicity.

Eventually we grow out of that phase and move on. I got the "you act white/Chinese/Japanese, etc" bullshit as a kid too because I was interested in video games and liked anime. But once I graduated that shit became irrelevant and the ones that said those things grew up too, some of them are on good terms with me and if they aren't, I ain't got hard feelings.

Baffles me how some can think something like that is more important than wider scaled problems. It's so frustrating to see that shit.

The part of Raven's interview that made me double take was the "I"m American and that's a colorless person."

Nah, American is color inclusive, not colorless. You're a black women, you're also American. As much as you want to avoid that conversation and those labels, they're there with or without your consent. Trying to transcend that is just being naive and to a degree kinda sticking your head in the sand.

I consider it to be narcissism. People these days (Gen-X on down) are being taught that they are all special flowers just because they were born and it causes an inflated sense of self-importance that ultimately leads a form of narcissism. No, you aren't special. No, the world won't pause if any of us died tomorrow. No, you don't get to escape the realities of society just because you want to, much like you can't float on air just because you prefer to not acknowledge gravity.

There IS a spoon, Neo.

Slayven

I consider it to be narcissism. People these days (Gen-X on down) are being taught that they are all special flowers just because they were born and it causes an inflated sense of self-importance that ultimately leads a form of narcissism. No, you aren't special. No, the world won't pause if any of us died tomorrow. No, you don't get to escape the realities of society just because you want to, much like you can't float on air just because you prefer to not acknowledge gravity.

There IS a spoon, Neo.

Dreams is going full Morpheus on us.

strobogo

Banned
I don't hate everything.

Know what I hate? I hate the idea that there's a big group (IE FUCKING EVERYBODY) who think that if you are not playing the latest thing, you're either crazy or stupid. God forbid you play something not new and enjoy it.

Also I hate TEW fans

and Chris Pratt

Like I play video games. Get that shit out of here. I will say that your record on treatment of womenfolk is much better than Aiii's.

KumaJG

Just saw this, been out of pocket for a minute. But yes, I have heard of the banned cartoon and even have seen it once or twice. Shit, I saw Song of the South in school.

How did you feel after you watched it? I am going to check it soon just to see what cartoons was like back then. Probably not going to affect me like it should.

strobogo

Banned
I don't know what that means. Something going on in that Hugbox wrasslin thread?

Aiii is upset that WWE is doing the breast cancer stuff because he thinks they should be doing a man cancer instead. Also now hates the YES chants on principle because Bryan's wife does them. Also wants a Bella thrown off a HIAC. Also everyone is a bitch or whore except the wondrous and virtuous AJ. He's gone full Kaufman against women.

J10

Banned
My school adviser sends daily emails with information about stuff going on around campus. She signs all her emails with "Persist!" Makes me fucking sick for some reason.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like a bunch of wrestlers from the WcW but I read about their real life shenanigans and I'm like.

kWkkJo1.png

All wrestlers are scum. You learn this real quick as soon as you see them after wrestling or during a shoot.

Except like Mark Henry, Kane, and Owen Hart.

RP912

Banned
Smh just looking back as a youngin I really can't believe I used to like Hogan when he was the biggest dick professional wrestling.

He bitched about losing, he changes the finishes of matches, and always ruins the flow of a match with random bullshit.

Flair>>>>Hogan

Slayven

My school adviser sends daily emails with information about stuff going on around campus. She signs all her emails with "Persist!" Makes me fucking sick for some reason.
Signatures makes me want to punch people. You are not in a fucking Kenneth Burns movie!!!
I like a bunch of wrestlers from the WcW but I read about their real life shenanigans and I'm like.

kWkkJo1.png

Don't read up on the Von Erich family.

kWkkJo1.png

All wrestlers are scum. You learn this real quick as soon as you see them after wrestling or during a shoot.

Except like Mark Henry, Kane, and Owen Hart.

Work with a cat who wrestled for a minute. He has told me stories. Plus you after the Chris Benoit "event" and the fact that the doctor who prescribed all this shit to him. Well you here stories. This cat is a pariah.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My favorite wrestler's tag team partner murdered his girlfriend and got away with it

Supa supa supa supafly. 4 out of my top 5 favorites are all dead. Depressing fucking hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom