• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you supposed to do with things like this?

1410771311094buylk.png

There's definitely some eye roll-y aspects to it, but there are plenty of legit concerns brought up that are only highlighted with the lock/ban and probable eventual deletion.

No need to continue the talk here, that's not what this thread's for.

evil within will probably be great. lately a lot of games that weren't on my radar ended up stealing the year.

wolfenstein, velocity 2x ultra. i thought shadow of mordor was gonna be another aint shit licensed game but damn i'm loving that too.

Anyone citing Sommers seriously automatically goes on my "don't pay attention to anything they're saying." All she does is just feed into "i got mine" bullshit that post-sexists want to believe.

Crocodile

A) This thread got weird in the past few days O_O

B) I understand that Raven's words likely came from a place of self-preservation and all the shit she probably had to put up with in her life but I'm not a fan of that whole "colorless" nonsense. That's just being naive of how the world actually works (amongst other things).

C) To this day I still have no idea what the Evil Within is or why I should care.

I thought the "go clop somewhere else" was funny, personally. But I don't see anything pointing to THAT being the reason she was banned.

Before I even got to the bottom of that image, the second I saw the "i can't believe the owner would bla bla bla" I knew she was catching a ban.

I don't want to dwell on this longer but you may want to check out the "Reason for Banning" message that accompanied that incident

royalan

Man, the more I see the commercial for Hyrule Warriors, the more I feel like this is a game that just shouldn't exist.

Like, nothing about the trailer makes any sense in relation to the lore, to the point that it doesn't even look pleasing as a game.

Like, why would I want to take on hordes of enemies as Zelda? Why is Ganon here?

I can't process it. This should have never been made. Feels...evil, somehow.

Trey

Man, the more I see the commercial for Hyrule Warriors, the more I feel like this is a game that just shouldn't exist.

Like, nothing about the trailer makes any sense in relation to the lore, to the point that it doesn't even look pleasing as a game.

Like, why would I want to take on hordes of enemies as Zelda? Why is Ganon here?

Looks fun for an afternoon and never played or thought of again.

ReiGun

Random thoughts from my time with Smash:

- Sakurai and crew can eat a dick for nerfing Peach's turnips. In what world did that move need a nerf?

- Wii Fit Trainer > your fave

- Tried Greninja. Wasn't feeling it. My heart broke in two.

- Sonic got buffed. Beef, my nigga, we made it.

- Marth died so that Lucina might live. She's like a good Roy, which in this game means she shits on Marth from a great height.

- Fuck Little Mac.

- Can't do shit with that 3DS circle pad. The fuck.

- Online is surprisingly good. I managed to have some good matches even on my sus connection.

Trey

Peach's turnips were nerfed in Brawl too. Project M restored them to their former glory. I guess Sakurai hates vegetables.

ReiGun

Peach's turnips were nerfed in Brawl too. Project M restored them to their former glory. I guess Sakurai hates vegetables.

I can't get too mad cause at least she can kill now. But it would be nice to not have my projectile nerfed to shit again.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Random thoughts from my time with Smash:

- Sakurai and crew can eat a dick for nerfing Peach's turnips. In what world did that move need a nerf?

- Wii Fit Trainer > your fave

- Tried Greninja. Wasn't feeling it. My heart broke in two.

- Sonic got buffed. Beef, my nigga, we made it.

- Marth died so that Lucina might live. She's like a good Roy, which in this game means she shits on Marth from a great height.

- Fuck Little Mac.

- Can't do shit with that 3DS circle pad. The fuck.

- Online is surprisingly good. I managed to have some good matches even on my sus connection.

-fuck wii fit trainer. and pac man too.

-im not feeling lucina yet, and i loved roy, but marth feels like garbage now

-mac > your fave

Mortemis

Banned
Nah breh, can't support that line of thought. Mac the most fun I've had in this whole game.

Don't really know much about friend codes, I'll get that sorted out and give you guys mine tomorrow.

Peach's turnips aren't great...until you use the custom ones. I played someone today who was using her custom moves...
8KFOvbv.png

Unlock her customs, dudes. Her side-B and turnips will fuck you up.

Trey

I'm not touching the 3DS version so I'll have to live vicariously through you goons. Hopefully only for a month or so till black Friday when Smash 4 Real Now comes out.

Spinluck

Little Mac ain't shit, he's Slay tier at best. Good Mac players will wreck your shit (depending on who you pick and if you're not careful), but not many of them seem to know that it's best to center yourself with Mac no matter the stage you play on. He's ridiculously easy to kill off-stage. One mistake then you best believe I'm taking dat ass out at 30-35%.

Sonic got some amazing buffs, still kind of weak, but you can straight barrage fools with a wave of moves. He can pressure, play mind games, bait like a mother fucker, and hit and run. A good Sonic might be the most annoying character to fight along with Pacman or Greninja.

They straight robbed my boy Charizard doh, why the hell do all his aerials have a shit ton of lag? The fuck? This dude has like no safe aerials.

Why the hell not?

Seriously, it's a fun little game completely detached from the lore.

Two thoughts:

1) Alfonso Ribiero will be doing the Carlton for the rest of his life. And I ain't hatin'. Hope he wins.

2) All this talk of Peach's turnips sounds dirty somehow.

Yup. Quality of discourse in the time i've been a member has tended downwards. Amongst other things.

It is what it is. I just post less as a result.

I don't know if it's getting better or worse but I agree about the amount of hype threads is annoying. And whilst at times it feels like people don't want to read any dissenting opinion I've had good criticisms about Legend of Korra without anyone telling me to stop watching if I don't like it (which is what I usually expect). I think the guy was just salty because GAF didn't buy into all the nonsense about GamerGate. Everything else reads like a cover for that fact.

Maybe I'm not as clued in but I don't think calling someone (not black) a house nigger is "outright racism". It's a strong metaphor, one that could be seen as being bad taste (hence the two week ban) but otherwise I wouldn't even blink an eyelid at it. I mean this thread has that image of that black ferguson guy to mock him, would it have been better is she posted that instead? The meaning would've been the same.

It's pretty clear this guy is salty that his "side" of the Gamergate tomfoolery isn't getting the respect he feels it deserves on GAF and is just flipping out. I've PM'd Mods before when I've seen stuff I thought they should deal with and never had a problem. It even got ChiTownBuffalo's tag changed to Junior member (before his most recent screwup) because he was treating me like crap just because I was a junior.

Kreed

It is up there with Obama getting elected. Shit is monumental when you think about it.

Pretending you're even remotely serious for a minute...

1) It was a court case involving a black celebrity. Outside of black issues with the justice system, it had nothing to do with black issues or history.

2) It wasn't even the biggest court case involving a black celebrity/athlete, let alone event. Hell the Cosby Show was more important than OJ and that was a TV show.

3) Putting a murder case on the same level as Obama getting elected, while ignoring major black historical events like the end of slavery, the Martin Luther King speech, Nelson Mandela being freed, the Million Man March, Jackie Robinson, Malcolm X, the Civil Rights Act...I can't pretend anymore, this is stupid. There's no way on Earth you don't know this.

Slayven

I knew it from what I saw. Didn't want to go into the thread and get attacked, but it looked like it was lacking a sense of identity, and light on content.

It quickly became one of those agenda games, doesn't matter if you like it or hate it everyone seemed to have an agenda when talking about the game.

titanfall
Destiny
Driveclub

The next one will be Sunset Overdrive

I am glad good shit like Mordor can slip through the cracks and just be a good game. Without folks being ready to fight over it

I think the key differences with Mordor's reception was

1) it wasn't an especially hyped game until the really good reviews came in
2) it wasn't exclusive to any console, or in Destiny's case, paid to make look like it was exclusive to a console

Slayven

I think the key differences with Mordor's reception was

1) it wasn't an especially hyped game until the really good reviews came in
2) it wasn't exclusive to any console, or in Destiny's case, paid to make look like it was exclusive to a console

That is my problem when people complain about over hype, companies ain't making 7 threads a day about a game that won't drop for 3 months.

That is my problem when people complain about over hype, companies ain't making 7 threads a day about a game that won't drop for 3 months.

It's also the reason no Smash game is ever going to live up to expectations and why Melee is always "the best." You made 57 OTs before the game even came out? There's no way that turned into an echo chamber that did nothing but assume it'd bring back every totally not glitches advanced movement mechanics and make Ridley playable or anything.

How did you feel after you watched it? I am going to check it soon just to see what cartoons was like back then. Probably not going to affect me like it should.

You know, this kind of stuff used to really piss me off and make me angry and then I realized that that was the point of it. You can't make yourself greater by belittling others. Now when I see these reminders of past hurts as well as present racism I always remind myself that this is how they see us. I point out ignorance when I can but I will let these people live with their own hatred and ignorance.

It quickly became one of those agenda games, doesn't matter if you like it or hate it everyone seemed to have an agenda when talking about the game.

titanfall
Destiny
Driveclub

I am glad good shit like Mordor can slip through the cracks and just be a good game. Without folks being ready to fight over it

I wish I had a desire to play Mordor, but Peter Jackson has killed my interest in that world with his last two bowel moments Hobbit films.

ReiGun

It's also the reason no Smash game is ever going to live up to expectations and why Melee is always "the best." You made 57 OTs before the game even came out? There's no way that turned into an echo chamber that did nothing but assume it'd bring back every totally not glitches advanced movement mechanics and make Ridley playable or anything.
That's not how Smash talk works at all. The tone of the OTs, more often than not, is that Sakurai is God and any dissenting opinion on Brawl or Smash 4 is just Melee fans hating the new one.

Smash has so many OTs because many of the most frequent posters are total zealots who made up their minds that Smash 4 was the best iteration in the series as soon as it was revealed.

Silky

Banned

titanfall
Destiny
Driveclub

In regards to SO, I think people outside of the usual posters in SO threads are expecting the worst for the game due to Insomniac's game history as of recent (FUSE WAS GOOD SHUT UP.) along with the fact that it's a bone exclusive.

If anything it's under hyped.

Driveclub-- a game whose marketing was focused solely on looks -- got average reviews for lack of content. Unsurprising. People need their expectations in check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom