• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortemis

Banned
Hype machine stops people from being honest. People don't realise how hard it is to go into a thread full of praise and love and then not only dislike a game but to outright hate it. I think Bioshock Infinite is utter trash, I play games for their gameplay, not for pretty scenery, and I think Infinite's gameplay was irredeemably bad. But I'm not gonna jump into a thread full of love for the game and start hating or call reviewers corrupt because they don't share my same taste. But after the hype has died down and people start asking "What was your disappointment of the year", or "most overhyped game of the year", or someone claims the game is one of the best videogames ever in a normal thread I will tell em straight.

This sucks, I don't see why just disliking a game has to be seen as an attack against your family to some people.

I just hate how GAF is almost always in extremes. Its either you love a game and can't state critisms without getting gained up on, or you have to join in on the hate train or you have shit taste. Some threads it all works out but for any popular game its hard to shift through the bs and just have a good discussion sometimes.

This sucks, I don't see why just disliking a game has to be seen as an attack against your family to some people.

I just hate how GAF is almost always in extremes. Its either you love a game and can't state critisms without getting gained up on, or you have to join in on the hate train or you have shit taste. Some threads it all works out but for any popular game its hard to shift through the bs and just have a good discussion sometimes.

It's not just a gaf thing though. People work in extremes and absolutes for whatever reason.

His whole point in creating it was to give England its own Mythology, Beowulf still shits on it and that's some hard ass shit to read.

Don't do this to yourself...
Old English is the fucking work of Satan, hated reading that shit (the language, not Beowulf specifically, that I liked.)

Yeah but that Beowulf movie may be even worse than the PJ Hobbit films

Aint that the truth.

besada

Banned
I give Tolken credit for creating the fantasy genre(by ripping off cultures' mythology).

There are actually two beginnings for the genre. Tolkien was following George MacDonald and William Morris, but while Tolkien was creating "high fantasy" the pulps were creating "sword and sorcery" at the same time, outside of his influence.

So, twenty years before Tolkien lays out The Hobbit, Edgar Rice Burroughs has already written most of the Barsoom saga, full of swords and magic and radium guns. He's also written most of Tarzan, and the opening books of the Pellucidar series.

Weird Tales exists more than a decade before Tolkien first arrives, and Robert E. Howard (of Conan fame) had written everything he was ever going to write by that time, having put a bullet in his brain a year before the release of The Hobbit.

So, give Tolkien some credit, but there's a strong argument for fantasy essentially arising independently from different traditions in both the U.S. and the UK.

Mortemis

Banned
It's not just a gaf thing though. People work in extremes and absolutes for whatever reason.

Damn, I've been doing this a lot, yeah that goes more to everyone and not just GAF.

Tbh though I don't find it that bad because you can always find people who are willing to have a good conversation about anything, just hard to do that on large forums and stuff like that. Much easier in a smaller community or just some people you know irl that know their shit.

Damn, I've been doing this a lot, yeah that goes more to everyone and not just GAF.

Tbh though I don't find it that bad because you can always find people who are willing to have a good conversation about anything, just hard to do that on large forums and stuff like that. Much easier in a smaller community or just some people you know irl that know their shit.

Smaller communities tend to best ones anyways.the more individuals the more opinions to deal with

ReiGun

I don't necessarily disagree with that assessment but I'd add there was/is a frustrating number of people who can't see beyond their own individual perspective which can make conversations about the game problematic from time to time. "Me and my 10 friends had no issues with how game X played ergo nobody else in the world had issues with how game X played!". I think just my experiences in competitive gaming, having read a lot of literature on game design over the years and having a lot of friends and acquaintances involved in game design, though not necessarily video game design, has really opened my eyes in terms of how what I want/like in terms of complexity, speed, etc. may not be in the best interest of the majority of a player base. Also, inability to use the English language well by some can be annoying too :p
Absolutely. A lot of the conversations run purely on anecdotes, because not all of us have the vocabulary and knowledge base to accurately express our thoughts on a game. However, I do think people need to be more open to criticism of the things they enjoy. And this isn't exclusive to Smash-Gaf, but online communities in general. I had to step out of Smash threads on multiple occasions because it became frustrating when trying to argue something in good faith and being lumped in with some guy who called Sakurai a name either earlier in the thread or on another site entirely.

wrong thread brother >>>

BTW Tales of Symphonia Dawn of a New World is ass

So I hear. I skipped it because I've never heard a single good thing about it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=133285592#post133285592

nba2ksam.jpg

People also forget that The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings really served as a vehicle for the languages he created. You have to remember that Tolkien was a linguist. While some writers might create a few words for their books this man created whole language families (as in different dialects, older versions of the language where the current one is derived from) for his books. Not only did he create full on languages but they were structurally and phonetically sound and followed rules, they were all complete languages.

KumaJG

People also forget that The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings really served as a vehicle for the languages he created. You have to remember that Tolkien was a linguist. While some writers might create a few words for their books this man created whole language families (as in different dialects, older versions of the language where the current one is derived from) for his books. Not only did he create full on languages but they were structurally and phonetically sound and followed rules, they were all complete languages.

That's awesome

Slayven

Moris needs to post his.
So you saying he was a cunning linguist?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If I say the tiniest thing negative about Dark Souls anywhere I get jumped on

Hey, I feel you. I got banned for not liking Marvel's current 'wit' as opposed to more fun movies in the past like Blade.

G-Fex

Hey, I feel you. I got banned for not liking Marvel's current 'wit' as opposed to more fun movies in the past like Blade.

Oh boy, I'm guessing the GOTG crowd didn't approve of you? :p

face it vince, they're the nWo of the OT ..just with chris pratt's face instead of letters.

Whoa hold on a second there, what kind of negative thing could possibly be said about Dark Souls?

oh boy here we go.

Well first off, it's not the end all be all of difficult games.

Infinite

Dude comes across as a total tryhard.

He also says gross things to every woman interviewee. I closed the video after Tinashe said she has a white mother and her father is from Zimbabwe then he responds with "oh that African man couldn't stay away from that white pum pum". Like, what the fuck man.

jWILL253

Banned
You know, I would partake in the slander of the Gaming Side shenanigans if it weren't for shit like Ubisoft's parity bullshit.

I mean, it all sounds like bullshit hyperbole until someone actually does or says something to confirm suspicions...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh boy, I'm guessing the GOTG crowd didn't approve of you? :p

face it vince, they're the nWo of the OT ..just with chris pratt's face instead of letters.

Alls I'm saying is Guardians was good, but I'd rather watch 1989 Lundgren Punisher and 1997 Blade.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
oh boy here we go.

Well first off, it's not the end all be all of difficult games.
I actually agree completely, love the series but the super hard thing isn't really true at all. Super frustrating at times, but not really the bastion of difficulty that it has been sometimes advertised as.

Did you notice the little emoticon in the edit reason? =p

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I would partake in the slander of the Gaming Side shenanigans if it weren't for shit like Ubisoft's parity bullshit.

I mean, it all sounds like bullshit hyperbole until someone actually does or says something to confirm suspicions...

Nobody wants to ship a game that performs poorly on a platform unless it also comes out on 3ds. Why not lock it down to ensure the same experience? Takes less work.

jWILL253

Banned
Nobody wants to ship a game that performs poorly on a platform unless it also comes out on 3ds. Why not lock it down to ensure the same experience? Takes less work.

Two things:

1. That logic would make sense if dude wasn't all like "We did it to stop debate, lol"

2. Nobody gave two shits about PS3 multiplats performing poorly.

Gaming developers are acting towards Microsoft like the NFL does whenever Peyton Manning loses. Nobody gave a shit when the shoe was on the other foot, so why act all concerned about it now?

Trey

Whoa hold on a second there, what kind of negative thing could possibly be said about Dark Souls?

I said there should be a pause feature for people who want it. It was like I walked into a lion's den with steaks fastened around my neck.

I'll probably bring it up again in a bloodborne/DS3 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom