• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Sad thing is you, me, and everyone else is gonna see the third one whether we like it or not

They got us, man :(

Finish the fight.

----

Same people bitching about how much they don't care about celebs on a gaming forum that cry about insignificant issues in video games. I mean really? Y'all embarrassing yourselves over gamergate and you dismissing celebs like "I don't care I'm an adult". Okay.

RP912

Banned
Them Driveclub reviews though :/

Regardless it looks like a promising game. Probably the only game on the radar that's next gen whenever I make the jump.

Sad thing is you, me, and everyone else is gonna see the third one whether we like it or not

I watched half of the second Hobbit on HBO and couldn't even finish it. I might catch 3 by accident................but I doubt it.

Rather watch the superior version

hobbit.jpg

Slayven

It's also the reason no Smash game is ever going to live up to expectations and why Melee is always "the best." You made 57 OTs before the game even came out? There's no way that turned into an echo chamber that did nothing but assume it'd bring back every totally not glitches advanced movement mechanics and make Ridley playable or anything.
I jsut don't believe in wallowing in information and marketing. Of course the game will be overhype if you are breathing it in 25 hours a day.

Tolken is boring as all the fucks.

Only good Hobbit movie

I knew Sounscream was good peoples

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
"Look at those weak reviews" in the same breath as "i'll still buy it regardless" followed immediately by "reviews are just an opinion anyway"

Every. Damn. Time. Followed by the inevitable GAF post mortem 6 months later.

Break the cycle please. It is like differing stages of grief. It is also embarrassing.

"Look at those weak reviews" in the same breath as "i'll still buy it regardless" followed immediately by "reviews are just an opinion anyway"

Break the cycle please. It is like differing stages of grief. It is also embarrassing.

M$ took the change they had in their wallet after paying off Ubisoft to downgrade AC Unity to buy off the game reviewers.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!

harSon

Banned
I have a feeling PS+ is going to kill what little sales Driveclub was going to get. I don't see a lot of people rushing out to buy a thoroughly average game, when they can play a decent chunk of it for free.

That's not how Smash talk works at all. The tone of the OTs, more often than not, is that Sakurai is God and any dissenting opinion on Brawl or Smash 4 is just Melee fans hating the new one.

Smash has so many OTs because many of the most frequent posters are total zealots who made up their minds that Smash 4 was the best iteration in the series as soon as it was revealed.

Eh, I don't know that I agree with that. Maybe frequenting Halogaf has just made me tune into the vocal minority more often than not, but I feel like it's equal parts old fans putting Melee on a pedestal and not really accepting that it still had flaws as a game and then the counterculture of people saying you can't enjoy all the games in the franchise unless you're being a contrarian for the sake of divisiveness, e.g. "You can tell they put a lot of work into this, if you can't enjoy Smash 4 then you're probably just too hung up on thinking Melee was the best game ever," etc.

SmokyDave

I jsut don't believe in wallowing in information and marketing. Of course the game will be overhype if you are breathing it in 25 hours a day.
Amen. I generally avoid reading too much of any preview, review, or OT threads for any game I'm interested in. Reading some of that squabbling minutiae will kill your hype dead.

RP912

Banned
I think the worst case of hyperbole was Titanfall. Instead of the game being treated as a fun mulitplayer...folks went on the deep end because of crazy marketing. The results: backlash and HERR DERR NOBODY PLAYS THAT GAME NO MORE. It's plain silly because the game still get play and its probably my goty because I went into the game with the mentality of this reminds me of unreal tournament and my beloved Brink.

Bottom line cut the hype and just play the game for what it is.

Slayven

Some one should do the 5 stages of gaming.

Amen. I generally avoid reading too much of any preview, review, or OT threads for any game I'm interested in. Reading some of that squabbling minutiae will kill your hype dead.
And so toxic to discussion
I think the worst case of hyperbole was Titanfall. Instead of the game being treated as a fun mulitplayer...folks went on the deep end because of crazy marketing. The results: backlash and HERR DERR NOBODY PLAYS THAT GAME NO MORE. It's plain silly because the game still get play and its probably my goty because I went into the game with the mentality of this reminds me of unreal tournament and my beloved Brink.

Bottom line cut the hype and just play the game for what it is.
A narrative gets pushed and then all you get is parrots.

KumaJG

People did have realistic expectations. Onemic the prophet even predicted the scores. I wouldn't even be surprise if the majority of the gamers posting in the Driveclub review thread has an agenda. The agenda for Driveclub came out of no where. Only that bothered me is how reviewers compared the game to FH2, shit can't even be played for what it is.

People did have realistic expectations. Onemic the prophet even predicted the scores. I wouldn't even be surprise if the majority of the gamers posting in the Driveclub review thread has an agenda. The agenda for Driveclub came out of no where. Only that bothered me is how reviewers compared the game to FH2, shit can't even be played for what it is.

Well if you put out a commercial with

vd5AHXE.jpg

You better show up with something.

has calling your game *insert popular title* killer EVER came out well

I remember when niggas called Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter the next Halo killer

It was on the box of the first Killzone.

When you gotta shout out another game, it screams we aint got no confidence in this shit right here.

RP912

Banned
I remember the Killzone 1 ads back in the day with "Halo killer" as a hype title. That twitchy ass game didn't kill anything but my patience and I love the series.

There were a good million Halo killers and it was ultimately Halo 4 that became the true Halo-killer.

lmaooooooooo

I mean, when CoD4 overtook Halo as the premier multiplier FPS on consoles, it didn't do any of that "Halo killer" shit. It pretended like it wasn't even competing with them, even though Halo 3 came out the same year, hell the same month as Modern Warfare. They just did the damn thing and look where they are now.

lmaooooooooo

I mean, when CoD4 overtook Halo as the premier multiplier FPS on consoles, it didn't do any of that "Halo killer" shit. It pretended like it wasn't even competing with them, even though Halo 3 came out the same year, hell the same month as Modern Warfare. They just did the damn thing and look where they are now.

Part of the problem with Halo 4 is they tried to CODfy it. Halo is best 4 v 4, with weapon placements, and no perk BS. That and the new enemy's sucked ass.

Crocodile

It's also the reason no Smash game is ever going to live up to expectations and why Melee is always "the best." You made 57 OTs before the game even came out? There's no way that turned into an echo chamber that did nothing but assume it'd bring back every totally not glitches advanced movement mechanics and make Ridley playable or anything.

That's not how Smash talk works at all. The tone of the OTs, more often than not, is that Sakurai is God and any dissenting opinion on Brawl or Smash 4 is just Melee fans hating the new one.

Smash has so many OTs because many of the most frequent posters are total zealots who made up their minds that Smash 4 was the best iteration in the series as soon as it was revealed.

The truth, unsurprisingly, is somewhere in between, especially as general opinions wax and waned as different people posted in those threads form time to time. Anyone saying the threads were mono "Sakurai is a moron, Melee DA BESS" or "Sakurai is DA BESS, I wanna suck his dick" is HEAVILY and shamefully oversimplifying.

I still remember when Dark Cloud was supposed to be THE ZELDA KILLER LOL

Dark Cloud 2 was fun though :)

I'm really glad about this, and I will be checking out 5.

There's that...near the start of a system's life, that's a good time to get into big franchises. With sequel after sequel the communities tend to die out or turn into weird city, so I'm happy to dive in fresh for H5.

But how will they relate?

Dehumanizing stare armor ability incoming.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But how will they relate?

Dehumanizing stare armor ability incoming.

Hell I don't know how I will relate

I mean put me in space as a super soldier, and I'm good

but BLACK? I'm not looking for Thug Planet with Rap Spaceships. I just can't relate.

ReiGun

Eh, I don't know that I agree with that. Maybe frequenting Halogaf has just made me tune into the vocal minority more often than not, but I feel like it's equal parts old fans putting Melee on a pedestal and not really accepting that it still had flaws as a game and then the counterculture of people saying you can't enjoy all the games in the franchise unless you're being a contrarian for the sake of divisiveness, e.g. "You can tell they put a lot of work into this, if you can't enjoy Smash 4 then you're probably just too hung up on thinking Melee was the best game ever," etc.
Gaf's Smash community leans more "casual" though, so at least here, the counterculture is the majority. I agree that Melee was put on a pedestal, but I also think that a not insignificant amount of people refuse to hear any bad talk about Brawl or Smash in general. No matter what argument you present, it gets turned into thinking Melee was perfect and not wanting the series to evolve. Which is why I'm happy to see the overwhelming support for Smash 4 this far as it basically deads that misconception.
The truth, unsurprisingly, is somewhere in between, especially as general opinions wax and waned as different people posted in those threads form time to time. Anyone saying the threads were mono "Sakurai is a moron, Melee DA BESS" or "Sakurai is DA BESS, I wanna suck his dick" is HEAVILY and shamefully oversimplifying.
Well obviously the threads weren't mono one way or the other. But my experience has always been that the tone falls more on the latter end of the spectrum than the former. Overall, though, at least with Smash 4 itself, people have been totally positive.

Thing that gets me the most is when games like MGS4 or Bioshock Infinite are out for awhile and then all of the negative criticisms come out of nowhere. When one dissenting opinion pops up all of em come up. Then you wonder why people thought a game was good in the first place.

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah MGS4 is the most baffling one. Back at release everyone was saying how good it is and you'd hear no critisms. Nowadays you can't enter an mgs thread without someone shifting on it.

Don't have a problem at all, just weird.

Yeah MGS4 is the most baffling one. Back at release everyone was saying how good it is and you'd hear no critisms. Nowadays you can't enter an mgs thread without someone shifting on it.

Don't have a problem at all, just weird.

I think what really got me with Bioshock was because it came out around the Time ludonarrative dissonance was a buzzword and everyone thought it was a problem with gaming along with Tomb Raider and The Last of Us. That opinion shift was weird.

harSon

Banned
I thought Bioshock Infinite was decent till I had to fight that ghost wife. I've never been so mad at a game in my life.

I think what really got me with Bioshock was because it came out around the Time ludonarrative dissonance was a buzzword and everyone thought it was a problem with gaming along with Tomb Raider and The Last of Us. That opinion shift was weird.

Hype machine stops people from being honest. People don't realise how hard it is to go into a thread full of praise and love and then not only dislike a game but to outright hate it. I think Bioshock Infinite is utter trash, I play games for their gameplay, not for pretty scenery, and I think Infinite's gameplay was irredeemably bad. But I'm not gonna jump into a thread full of love for the game and start hating or call reviewers corrupt because they don't share my same taste. But after the hype has died down and people start asking "What was your disappointment of the year", or "most overhyped game of the year", or someone claims the game is one of the best videogames ever in a normal thread I will tell em straight.

Random thoughts from my time with Smash:

- Sakurai and crew can eat a dick for nerfing Peach's turnips. In what world did that move need a nerf?

- Wii Fit Trainer > your fave

- Tried Greninja. Wasn't feeling it. My heart broke in two.

- Sonic got buffed. Beef, my nigga, we made it.

- Marth died so that Lucina might live. She's like a good Roy, which in this game means she shits on Marth from a great height.

- Fuck Little Mac.

- Can't do shit with that 3DS circle pad. The fuck.

- Online is surprisingly good. I managed to have some good matches even on my sus connection.
I ain't gonna lie I can't fuck with you niggas anymore being all crazy in this thread but if this isn't the realest shit I've read in the past few days I don't know what is.

You should be able to say "I don't like this" without catching feelings

Like Common said, "if I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean I'm hating". Its not a personal attack. It never was.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You should be able to say "I don't like this" without catching feelings

Like Common said, "if I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean I'm hating". Its not a personal attack. It never was.

When you have people personally invested in a company that gives 0 fucks about exploiting you as a customer...

NOW ITS PERSONAL

fuckin foolish, the CEO worship as well is out of control and despicable. Thank god that calmed down.

Crocodile

Gaf's Smash community leans more "casual" though, so at least here, the counterculture is the majority. I agree that Melee was put on a pedestal, but I also think that a not insignificant amount of people refuse to hear any bad talk about Brawl or Smash in general. No matter what argument you present, it gets turned into thinking Melee was perfect and not wanting the series to evolve. Which is why I'm happy to see the overwhelming support for Smash 4 this far as it basically deads that misconception

I don't necessarily disagree with that assessment but I'd add there was/is a frustrating number of people who can't see beyond their own individual perspective which can make conversations about the game problematic from time to time. "Me and my 10 friends had no issues with how game X played ergo nobody else in the world had issues with how game X played!". I think just my experiences in competitive gaming, having read a lot of literature on game design over the years and having a lot of friends and acquaintances involved in game design, though not necessarily video game design, has really opened my eyes in terms of how what I want/like in terms of complexity, speed, etc. may not be in the best interest of the majority of a player base. Also, inability to use the English language well by some can be annoying too :p

harSon

Banned
When you have people personally invested in a company that gives 0 fucks about exploiting you as a customer...

NOW ITS PERSONAL

fuckin foolish, the CEO worship as well is out of control and despicable. Thank god that calmed down.

That was always my biggest issue. There's no such thing as a pro consumer Billion dollar corporation. They're always in it for their best interest. Always. Unless they're stupid.

Bioshock Infinite seems one of those games where the Devs were mad they had to add gameplay.

Eh I thought the gameplay was fine and mixed with overall plot well. That ghost boss was terrible though, no doubt about it. Especially on 1999 mode. Still my goty in 2013

I see what you're saying about the hype train it just seems that in that instance as soon as games being games became a criticism the opinion stuff that shift was abrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom