• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing that gets me the most is when games like MGS4 or Bioshock Infinite are out for awhile and then all of the negative criticisms come out of nowhere. When one dissenting opinion pops up all of em come up. Then you wonder why people thought a game was good in the first place.

most people with criticism don't want to be the one that gets hounded, attacked and ban baited across the entire forum for a dissenting opinion on one game in the official hype thread.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I said there should be a pause feature for people who want it. It was like I walked into a lion's den with steaks fastened around my neck.

I'll probably bring it up again in a bloodborne/DS3 thread.
Yeah that would offend some fans, but honestly people need to calm down. I may like Dark Souls but I really dislike the volatile nature of the fan base. Actually there are a whole lot of things I can repeat the same sentiment for ad nauseam. Fuck the fans, basically.

Mortemis

Banned
If Sony stops being lazy as fuck slow and gets out suspend and resume, that would probably work as a good pause feature wouldn't it?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
most people with criticism don't want to be the one that gets hounded, attacked and ban baited across the entire forum for a dissenting opinion on one game in the official hype thread.

Yep. It runs two ways, and it's a never ending cycle. But people on gaf dog pile one way or dog pile the other, rarely in-between. So you want someone else to be the one to come in an say 'Guys, I don't think 60 fps is that important for a puzzle game' so you can slowly come in and say 'I agree.' and not have to take the heat.

The 30 FPS/60 FPS stuff is so vicious on gaming side though. I can't imagine being a game developer on twitter
'Is your game 60 fps?'
'We're going to stick with 30 fps because we think it fits the game' ie we don't want to risk doing 60 and have it blow up in our face when the casual audience doesn't care that much.
'Why do you hate me and wish death on my family? Because that's what your doing with this 30 fps, you lazy fucker.'

kobetweet.png

Moris halp

Slayven

Yep. It runs two ways, and it's a never ending cycle. But people on gaf dog pile one way or dog pile the other, rarely in-between. So you want someone else to be the one to come in an say 'Guys, I don't think 60 fps is that important for a puzzle game' so you can slowly come in and say 'I agree.' and not have to take the heat.

The 30 FPS/60 FPS stuff is so vicious on gaming side though. I can't imagine being a game developer on twitter
'Is your game 60 fps?'
'We're going to stick with 30 fps because we think it fits the game' ie we don't want to risk doing 60 and have it blow up in our face when the casual audience doesn't care that much.
'Why do you hate me and wish death on my family? Because that's what your doing with this 30 fps, you lazy fucker.'
Esepcially when the vast majority don't care about such things. They just want a good looking game that is fun.

G-Fex

Alls I'm saying is Guardians was good, but I'd rather watch 1989 Lundgren Punisher and 1997 Blade.

I feel you, I know what you mean. Lundgren punisher is my favorite.

I actually agree completely, love the series but the super hard thing isn't really true at all. Super frustrating at times, but not really the bastion of difficulty that it has been sometimes advertised as.

Did you notice the little emoticon in the edit reason? =p

That's just the thing that annoys me, people act like there were no difficult games before DS, it all started with it. Geez.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I feel you, I know what you mean. Lundgren punisher is my favorite.

That's just the thing that annoys me, people act like there were no difficult games before DS, it all started with it. Geez.
Sounds like these people are fairly inexperienced with difficult games if DS was the first one the ever thought of as "difficult". Maybe DS just reached the handholding Elder Scrolls, Fable, World of Warcraft type crowd and thus why they treat it as something hard.

These people need to at least play something like Ninja Gaiden or Ghosts n Goblins before they can talk with credibility about difficulty.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WoW high tier raids are more difficult than anything in DS though. DS is just about patience. That's it. Once you learn that, the curve ain't near bad.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

'Is your game 60 fps?'

There's no excuse for locking the framerate on any PC game. None.

Consoles, whatever. You have a fixed hardware spec, and you have to make the game work for that one specific set of hardware. Do what you have to.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
WoW high tier raids are more difficult than anything in DS though. DS is just about patience. That's it. Once you learn that, the curve ain't near bad.
I never got into too much high tier raids but what I did experience confirms this. You have to be extremely well organized, communicate effectively with a team and not fuck up during a series of trails that might take place in any given encounter. Honestly for me, the greatest difficult that exists in the Souls series comes from the challenge presented by other players. Like you said, the base game just takes patience.
This is terrifying.

KumaJG

I feel like the hyperbole of the difficulty dissuede newcomers to series. The slow gameplay(if you choose to play it that way) also turns people off.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel like the hyperbole of the difficulty dissuede newcomers to series. The slow gameplay(if you choose to play it that way) also turns people off.
Oh, it's definitely a fault of the community. I remember when Demon's Souls came out and people were importing it from Asia and Japan because there was no chance it was getting released over here. The people I talked to who had it were always like, 'Man I'm addicted to this game. It's pretty different. It's unforgiving and you gotta take your time with it, but it feels awesome.' Then somewhere after Demon's Souls US release or Dark Souls, it was now 'MAN! This game is so fucking hard, bro!' like as if the people who played it wanted you to know that the reason they played it was because it was serious business so they could put it on their lists for their bullshit gamer cred.

When my brother asked me about the game, I just told him to be patient with it and you'll enjoy it. We actually both played Everquest back in the day, and there's a lot of parallels to that. He loved it. I don't think he would have even given it a chance if he asked the internet about it because they'd talk about how it's the greatest game of all time and how it's so hard.

KumaJG

Time to put down the reefer cigars Wiz
qejw51V.jpg

Who knew Jandro is Wiz KaQueefa

Oh, it's definitely a fault of the community. I remember when Demon's Souls came out and people were importing it from Asia and Japan because there was no chance it was getting released over here. The people I talked to who had it were always like, 'Man I'm addicted to this game. It's pretty different. It's unforgiving and you gotta take your time with it, but it feels awesome.' Then somewhere after Demon's Souls US release or Dark Souls, it was now 'MAN! This game is so fucking hard, bro!' like as if the people who played it wanted you to know that the reason they played it was because it was serious business so they could put it on their lists for their bullshit gamer cred.

When my brother asked me about the game, I just told him to be patient with it and you'll enjoy it. We actually both played Everquest back in the day, and there's a lot of parallels to that. He loved it. I don't think he would have even given it a chance if he asked the internet about it because they'd talk about how it's the greatest game of all time and how it's so hard.

Gamers don't realized that overhyping games ruin it for newcomers. Only crowd that worst is "gotta be innovative" crowd. Even when innovation comes people don't support it. Developers are better off polishing/perfecting existing mechanics.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
welp...somebody light up the durante signal

Durante doesn't really unlock framerates. That doesn't seem to be his area of expertise.

Somebody else did the Dark Souls framerate unlock and he integrated it into the DSFix mod, which was originally just to change the rendering resolution.

That man is eventually gonna want to get paid.

I assume he gets something for the articles he writes for PC Gamer.

I try watching people play videogames it just does nothing for me to watch someone else play a game. Though I like watching Let's Plays when it's like 3 guys just shooting the shit while playing (it's why I watch GB Quicklooks). But one single dude playing a game is bleh to me. It becomes infuriating when he or she is oblivious to obvious shit.

strobogo

Banned
GAF discussion most definitely took a hit in the last 1-2 years when the first 15 posts of every thread, no matter how inappropriate the subject matter, became about who could come up with the best puns the quickest. Then the next page would talk about the puns instead of the topic. Mods not cracking down on that made things go to shit in a hurry all across the b oard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom