• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
You ever try to do research on the War On Terror/OBL in general and find you have no idea how Arabic families keep the names of their kids straight? Especially when you get into families that have 20+ kids where about 80% are the same name plus or minus one or two letters. Such a confusing language to me.

J10

Banned
Guys, what if Jaden is really talented and he just needs to find himself before he can show the world how talented he is?

Floridian

WOW I remember watching static shock when I was mad young. Honestly, Jaden's an alright actor, he's just in the wrong movies usually, so I'll wait for the trailer to judge further.

Slayven

Never got the Jaden hate, it is almost as baffling as the Anne Hathway hate

I was shocked Bish knew who Doc Shaw was, then I remember he has kids and they probably saw Pair of Kings.

Slayven

Maybe i am crazy, but it really irks me when folks just want to make a character black or whatever

"Lets make Superman black"

"Cool so it's new character with his own history and identity?"

"Nope, we will just make him black"

"Oh ok, so you will deal with white family adapting a black kid in rural Kansas?"

"Nope, he is just going to be black"

Malyse

http://theviralupdate.com/news/item...ck-ross-attempts-crowd-surfing-during-concert

x10%2BUchida%2Btrying%2Bnot%2Bto%2Blaugh.jpg

J10

Banned
Maybe i am crazy, but it really irks me when folks just want to make a character black or whatever

"Oh ok, so you will deal with white family adapting a black kid in rural Kansas?"

It doesn't always matter and doesn't always require some kind justification. I reject the wholesale dismissal of race switching of established characters in favor of making new ones because newer characters are more likely to be ignored, so minority representation benefits from retooling established majority characters more than majority characters would be hurt. Take it case by case. There's nothing inherently white about Peter Parker, nothing inherently black about Hancock. Those stories could be about anyone. By the same token, Magneto obviously needs to be a Polish Jewish holocaust survivor, since that's a big part of his motivation (although there's even wiggle room there since there has been plenty of ethnic cleansing going on in the world in other places since WWII). It's not always a big deal.

Imm0rt4l

I will say I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have a run where superman is black in the vain of Red Son. Or if he was still white and adopted by black parents.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I dunno Slay.

Creators always use the excuse to forsake diversity because there's no reason to. There's always got to be a reason why the characters are black/Asian/middle eastern/etc but the main can always be a white guy without need for the explanations.

One of the setbacks always given is that "oh I don't know much about the culture so I can't" but it's really crappy excuse because in America, majority of all minorities are Americanized and therefore, not tied to their cultural background. They don't need a reason anymore than a white guy.

Diversity for the sake of it really isn't a problem, unless they are characterized stereotypically or have downright offensive design. I can understand not wanting a bunch of minorities in something that would generally lack it (I.e a bunch of ethnicities in a Japanese setting) but if it can fit, why not?

Minorities can have a deep, complex background but it's not always necessary. For some creators to assume that minorities have to have these struggles displays a very limited perception.

Slayven

I dunno Slay.

Creators always use the excuse to forsake diversity because there's no reason to. There's always got to be a reason why the characters are black/Asian/middle eastern/etc but the main can always be a white guy without need for the explanations.

One of the setbacks always given is that "oh I don't know much about the culture so I can't" but it's really crappy excuse because in America, majority of all minorities are Americanized and therefore, not tied to their cultural background. They don't need a reason anymore than a white guy.

Diversity for the sake of it really isn't a problem, unless they are characterized stereotypically or have downright offensive design. I can understand not wanting a bunch of minorities in something that would generally lack it (I.e a bunch of ethnicities in a Japanese setting) but if it can fit, why not?

Minorities can have a deep, complex background but it's not always necessary. For some creators to assume that minorities have to have these struggles displays a very limited perception.
Yeah but making Clark Kent black without some acknowledgement is saying race and shit is just like changing a shirt or flipping a switch. It;'s insulting.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Yeah but making Clark Kent black without some acknowledgement is saying race and shit is just like changing a shirt or flipping a switch. It;'s insulting.

For an already established character, I can understand that. A new one could suffice, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom