• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Indeed. GKMC hit me so hard it's not even funny. I haven't fell in love with an album that strong since A Piece of Strange.

Was just listening to GKMC on the drive back from class. This album really is every bit as good as it's hyped to be. Yep, definitely GOAT status. Used to be some scrub in here talking it down but I think his moms grounded him off the computer or something cus I don't see him post anymore.

monta-ellis-handshake.gif

some of y'all buggin'

there has to be a table with a selection of pies and cakes, including at least 4 of the following: Pumpkin Pie, Sweet Potato Pie, Pecan Pie, Cheesecake, Chocolate Cake, Pineapple Upside Down Cake and Red Devil.

DominoKid

chocolate cake, apple pie, sweet potato pie.

if you didn't like 1 of the 3 then you just didn't have any dessert cause nobody was stupid enough to complain about the selection after my grandma/aunt spent all day cooking.

My family its always cheesecake, sweet potato pie, pecan pie, and this shit called gooey cake. Any pumpkin pie erroneously brought to the gather is usually ignored

cdyhybrid

I like sweet potatoes but if I had to choose I'd go with pumpkin pie.

That said, I'm more than happy to eat either one.

Also, I'm about to listen to GKMC again...as soon as I'm done listening to this Curren$y tape again.

Might squeeze The Black Album in there too.

Trey

I'm replaying ME2. I didn't play this game for the first time not too long ago - only been four years since it came out. But I didn't remember the writing being this corny.

It was always corny, mind. But this shit, four years later? Whew.

The dude's pops sets up a cannibal harem, so of course you fight through monotonous waves of stock enemies strewn about an enclosed battlefield of conveniently waist high boxes to get to the asshole. Then one of the story paths has you leaving him with just enough ammo to off himself before the cannibals get revenge.

I couldn't stop laughing.

harSon

Banned
Sweet Potato > Pumpkin Pie any day of the week

But Pumpkin Pie is still pretty damned good though.

Doesn't matter though, cause I think I put so much Cool Whip that I can't taste the pie anyways

anyone talk about this yet? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ns-why-Microsofts-karma-is-bad-for-women.html

"Every now and then, a public figure says something so misguided, you think you must have misheard. That was the feeling on Thursday, when Satya Nadella, the new chief executive of Microsoft, told a conference that instead of asking for a pay rise, female employees should rely on “karma” to give them the rewards they deserve."

Don't they employ people to ensure they don't spout this kind of nonsense?

anyone talk about this yet? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ns-why-Microsofts-karma-is-bad-for-women.html

"Every now and then, a public figure says something so misguided, you think you must have misheard. That was the feeling on Thursday, when Satya Nadella, the new chief executive of Microsoft, told a conference that instead of asking for a pay rise, female employees should rely on “karma” to give them the rewards they deserve."

That's just awful. His backpedalling is so dodge as well. He wasn't even remotely 'inarticulate' - he very clearly expressed his views on how women should expect to move up.

Kreed

You know, the thing that perhaps most influenced me in terms of how do you look at the journey or a career. There was this guy, his name is Mike Naples, he was the president of Microsoft when I joined and he had this saying that all HR systems are long-term efficient, short-term inefficient. And I thought that this phrase captured it.

It's not really about asking for the raise but knowing and having faith that the system will actually give you the right raises as you go along. And that I think might be one of the additional superpowers that quite frankly women who don't ask for raises have. Because that's good karma, that'll come back. Because somebody's going to know that's the kind of person that I want to trust; that's the kind of person that I want to really give more responsibility to; and in the long term, efficiency things catch up.

And I wonder — and I'm not saying that's the only approach — I wonder if taking the long term helps solve for what might be perceived as this uncomfortable thing as am I getting paid right, am I getting rewarded right. Because the reality is your best work is not followed with your best rewards. Your best work then has impact, people recognize it and then you get the rewards. So I think you have to think that through I think.

http://mashable.com/2014/10/09/microsoft-ceo-women-karma-raises/

IMO his advice would have been ok "general" advice, but he just shouldn't have said it at a celebration of women conference and should have been aware of the gender gap issue, especially being a speaker at the conference. It's like going to a Asian film conference and saying to just apply yourself if you want a starring role in a Hollywood movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom