• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Housing discrimination is one of the most widespread, far-reaching, government organized institutions of racism that is still allowed to go on today. It's disgusting and you can trace the lines of influence in pretty much any state in the US in regards to how voting blocks, school districts and economically challenged areas are zoned. One of the major eye-openers for me in regards to more personal struggles was this article in the Atlantic, I forgot who linked it but I am 90% sure it was Mumei or someone else in the BCT:

The Case for Reparations

My mom and dad had a problem with that when they were trying to buy their house. They live in a nice neighborhood and the realtor wasn't really taking them seriously about them buying the house. The realtor was trying to give them different areas and cheaper houses. Then after the realtor saw their credit score the realtor wanted to play nice and had much more interest.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
My mom and dad had a problem with that when they were trying to buy their house. They live in a nice neighborhood and the realtor wasn't really taking them seriously about them buying the house. The realtor was trying to give them different areas and cheaper houses. Then after the realtor saw their credit score the realtor wanted to play nice and had much more interest.
Damn. The whole situation is like a clusterfuck of racial bias from realtors/banks which leads to institutionalized policies and practices in a domino like effect.

Malyse

Remember old girl wouldn't show Oprah the purse?

Same deal.

amanda bynes ‏@amandabynes 1m1 minute ago
My dad never did any of those things The microchip in my brain made me say those things but he's the one that ordered them to microchip me

iuaYfUc1mUurs.gif

Mumei

Housing discrimination is one of the most widespread, far-reaching, government organized institutions of racism that is still allowed to go on today. It's disgusting and you can trace the lines of influence in pretty much any state in the US in regards to how voting blocks, school districts and economically challenged areas are zoned. One of the major eye-openers for me in regards to more personal struggles was this article in the Atlantic, I forgot who linked it but I am 90% sure it was Mumei or someone else in the BCT:

The Case for Reparations

Wasn't me, though I definitely recommend also reading his narrative bibliography for the essay, particularly these selections from "Home is Where the Hatred Is":

1.) Crabgrass Frontier, by Kenneth Jackson
This gets us grounded and immediately dispenses with the popular notion that our cities and suburbs were unplanned. I can not stress how necessary this book is.

2.) The Warmth of Other Suns, by Isabel Wilkerson
I would read this to get a more intimate history in the mix early. It's very important to remember that beneath all of this are the lives of individual Americans. Warmth is the finest piece of journalism I've read on America in a very long time.

3.) The Origins of the Urban Crisis, by Thomas Sugrue
This picks up on a lot of the research in Crabgrass around redlining, but zooms in on Detroit. It also adds another feature: pervasive white violence. The thing to understand about racist "policy" is that it existed in consort with racist private policy, racist civic groups, and racist people.

4.) Making the Second Ghetto, by Arnold Hirsch
A tough read, but an essential, granular analysis of how Chicago's ghettos were "made."

5.) Family Properties, by Beryl Satter
The perfect compliment to Hirsch. Satter's book breathes more, and connects all of that policy to actual people in North Lawndale. More disturbing: Satter shows that public policy made private plunder possible.

6.) American Apartheid, by Douglas Massey and Nancy Denton
In a sense, a compilation of the effects of everything you will have read up to this point. Massey and Denton demonstrate that African-Americans are not just another "ethnicity" on the come up, but the most hyper-segregated group in American history.

7.) Great American City, by Robert Sampson
Back to Chicago, one last time. Again, a book about effects. Sampson is no longer in the realm of history. His data is very recent and very depressing.

8.) Stuck In Place, by Patrick Sharkey
By this point, you will likely be thoroughly bummed out. I was. Sharkey finishes us off by critiquing the "progress" made after the Civil Rights movement. Again, we see the enduring and pervasive effects of segregation. A bracing and important read.

I've read 2, 5, and 6, myself. Coates also has a ton of posts with additional information, like A Rising Tide Lifts All Yachts:

Among children born from 1955 through 1970, only 4 percent of whites were raised in neighborhoods with at least 20 percent poverty, compared to 62 percent of blacks. Three out of four white children were raised in neighborhoods with less than 10 percent poverty, compared to just 9 percent of blacks. Even more astonishingly, essentially no white children were raised in neighborhoods with at least 30 percent poverty, but three in ten blacks were.

And more shockingly still, almost half (49 percent) of black children with family income in the top three quintiles lived in neighborhoods with at least 20 percent poverty, compared to only one percent of white children in those quintiles. These figures reveal that black children born from the mid 1950s to 1970 were surrounded by poverty to a degree that was virtually nonexistent for whites.

This degree of racial inequality is not a remnant of the past. Two out of three black children born from 1985 through 2000 have been raised in neighborhoods with at least 20 percent poverty, compared to just 6 percent of whites. Only one out of ten blacks in the current generation has been raised in a neighborhood with less than 10 percent poverty, compared to six out of ten whites. Even today, thirty percent of black children experience a level of neighborhood poverty -- a rate of 30 percent or more -- unknown among white children.

Previous research has used a measure of neighborhood disadvantage that incorporates not only poverty rates, but unemployment rates, rates of welfare receipt and families headed by a single mother, levels of racial segregation, and the age distribution in the neighborhood to capture the multiple dimensions of disadvantage that may characterize a neighborhood.

Figure 2 shows that using this more comprehensive measure broken down into categories representing low, medium, and high disadvantage, 84 percent of black children born from 1955 through 1970 were raised in "high" disadvantage neighborhoods, compared to just 5 percent of whites. Only 2 percent of blacks were raised in "low" disadvantage neighborhoods, compared to 45 percent of whites. The figures for contemporary children are similar.

By this broader measure, blacks and whites inhabit such different neighborhoods that it is not possible to compare the economic outcomes of black and white children who grow up in similarly disadvantaged neighborhoods. However, there is enough overlap in the childhood neighborhood poverty rates of blacks and whites to consider the effect of concentrated poverty on economic mobility.

The main conclusion from these results is that neighborhood poverty appears to be an important part of the reason why blacks experience more downward relative economic mobility than whites, a finding that is consistent with the idea that the social environments surrounding African Americans may make it difficult for families to preserve their advantaged position in the income distribution and to transmit these advantages to their children.

When white families advance in the income distribution they are able to translate this economic advantage into spatial advantage in ways that African Americans are not, by buying into communities that provide quality schools and healthy environments for children. These results suggest that one consequence of this pattern is that middle-class status is particularly precarious for blacks, and downward mobility is more common as a result.

But remember, disparate impact is racist because it talks about race, and the only way to not be racist is to stop talking about race.

Jado

Banned
Been playing a lot of Smash 3DS. Great game, no major problems with the slide pad and controls. Joystick would obviously be better but I get through games just fine without one.

I didn't realize how bad I was until I started playing online -- but not horrible for first-time playing online, being older and not putting in as much time as younger folk. Tactics, pace and timing are completely different from playing against CPU. I'm still trying to figure out why when my opponent and I run at each other and attack at the same time, I lose most of the time. I can get people at 150%+, but really bad at getting them off stage. Very weak at attacking opponents returning at the edges of the stage.

My main guys: Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr, Samus, Sheik.

That dog must be really, really annoying in the right hands. Would love to master this character. I'm highly inconsistent, but I've done some things with that can and disc that would make a person rage.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Been playing a lot of Smash 3DS. Great game, no major problems with the slide pad and controls. Joystick would obviously be better but I get through games just fine without one.

I didn't realize how bad I was until I started playing online -- but not horrible for first-time playing online, being older and not putting in as much time as younger folk. Tactics, pace and timing are completely different from playing against CPU. I'm still trying to figure out why when my opponent and I run at each other and attack at the same time, I lose most of the time. I can get people at 150%+, but really bad at getting them off stage. Very weak at attacking opponents returning at the edges of the stage.

My main guys: Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr, Samus, Sheik.

That dog must be really, really annoying in the right hands. Would love to master this character. I'm highly inconsistent, but I've done some things with that can and disc that would make a person rage.

the R trigger is your friend. roll around your enemies and let your opponent make a mistake first. be aware of your surroundings.(thats especially important for mac users) practice against level 9 cpus to get your bearings down.

Jado

Banned
"Jaden" is too close to "Jado." Don't like it.

the R trigger is your friend. roll around your enemies and let your opponent make a mistake first. be aware of your surroundings.(thats especially important for mac users) practice against level 9 cpus to get your bearings down.

Trust me, that R trigger is getting a workout. I play against lv 9 CPUs, maybe not enough. I like playing Smash run and still trying to win Classic mode without dropping below lv 9 Intensity.

I'm seeing a lot of Mac and Dark Pit players. My gf's 5-year old nephew apparently did really well playing as Mac against his family members. I'm gonna take that as a sign about the people who pick him.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
"Jaden" is too close to "Jado." Don't like it.

Trust me, that R trigger is getting a workout. I play against lv 9 CPUs, maybe not enough. I like playing Smash run and still trying to win Classic movie without dropping below lv 9 Intensity.

I'm seeing a lot of Mac and Dark Pit players. My gf's 5-year old nephew apparently did really well playing as Mac against his family members. I'm gonna take that as a sign about the people who pick him.

I play with mac online. Havent encountered too many. But i like to mix it up with d3. Love that dude.

besada

Banned
um

is this a joke: http://www.whitenessproject.org/

BzmXgnYIgAEKauE.jpg

not even sure myself o0

Looks real to me. On the About page they list POV which is a well-known documentary group that works with PBS. Should be interesting to see.

I'm giving my mod powers to Angelus for the thread, though.

Edit: It's real, by the way. It's going to be primarily internet based. Supposedly they're going to do 1,000 interviews with white folk, all over the country. They started in Buffalo.

I don't know why the fuck they pushed her as yet another R&B artist that just makes pop hits on Mustard-on-da-the-track-hoe beat #30,000. Foolish.

She's got a way better catalog and deserves better. :(

Can't blame anyone on that thought. On Breakfast club, Tinashe talked about how she had complete creative control for this album. She needs someone to pick her beats for her, I swear most artists regardless of genre are horrible at beat selection. Shit, Rick Ross could really make that a side hustle...picking beats for people. Dude's ear for beats is fucking ridiculous!

It's gotten to the point where my eyes just start to glaze over when I read about shit like this. "It's not fair! We're doing more harm to minorities this way! Racism will end once we turn a blind eye to it!" ugh.

Much like any civil issues in US history, ignoring it totes made it go away!

Jado

Banned
Conspiracy theory that MS is paying devs to keep the resolution/fps of the PS4 version same as the xbox.

I don't know about deliberate conspiracy, but it probably is having an effect. It's basically a newer, less severe version of "This PC game looks worse because aging PS3/360 are target platform." Crysis 2 at launch looking worse than years-old Crysis 1 cuz of consoles always comes to mind.

Looks real to me. On the About page they list POV which is a well-known documentary group that works with PBS. Should be interesting to see.

I'm giving my mod powers to Angelus for the thread, though.

Edit: It's real, by the way. It's going to be primarily internet based. Supposedly they're going to do 1,000 interviews with white folk, all over the country. They started in Buffalo.

Oh god. I predict

79% say no, if anything blacks owe everyone else
20% say black people are responsible for their current situation and deserve it
1% wish slavery was reenacted because blacks are ungrateful.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Can't blame anyone on that thought. On Breakfast club, Tinashe talked about how she had complete creative control for this album. She needs someone to pick her beats for her, I swear most artists regardless of genre are horrible at beat selection. Shit, Rick Ross could really make that a side hustle...picking beats for people. Dude's ear for beats is fucking ridiculous!

Much like any civil issues in US history, ignoring it totes made it go away!

True words. People can say whatever about the ducktails, but his selection for instrumentation is never off.

If only Nas would come to the light. To busy giving Salaam Remi money for beats he'd never would have given to Amy Winehouse. Da gawd outchea letting random dopplegangers (droog) fool people into thinking Nas actually picked good beats without Ross. *facepalms*

Trey

We all knew Tinashe would sell wood. 2 On being her lead single just makes you want to listen to Rihanna instead. It has none of the charm her mixtape has - it's just a generic pop single. Hard to forge an identity around that and get people buying your tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom