• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
some of y'all buggin'

there has to be a table with a selection of pies and cakes, including at least 4 of the following: Pumpkin Pie, Sweet Potato Pie, Pecan Pie, Cheesecake, Chocolate Cake, Pineapple Upside Down Cake and Red Devil.

Cheesecake > Pumpkin Pie > Pecan Pie = Red Velvet Cake > Sweet Potato Pie > Pineapple Upside Down Cake > Chocolate Cake

who calls it Red Devil tho

I see pumpkin/sweet potato pie is our new kfc/popeyes, grits/sugar grits.

I used to call red velvet, red devil when I was younger then I found out its true name.

Im calling shenanigans on all y'all supposed black people throwing shade at the staple of the community.......sweet potato pie. Your ancestors are ashamed.

harSon

Banned
Sweet Potato pie honestly doesn't taste that different than Pumpkin Pie depending on the recipe, at least not enough to love one and hate the other. The biggest difference is the texture between the two.

Kraftwerk

you thought we were bullshitting? thats not something someone should watch more than once, and ive seen it 3 times.

We told you. We fucking told you. But I'm glad you went through with watching it.

It was rough. The scene with
the mass grave and the "babies in there' line by the kid. Fuck man.

Reading more about it now, and it makes you realize how devastating it was. So much so that the survivors kept quiet for 60+ years and even went through denial when the reporter was asking them about the events.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
um

is this a joke: http://www.whitenessproject.org/

BzmXgnYIgAEKauE.jpg

not even sure myself o0

um

is this a joke: http://www.whitenessproject.org/

BzmXgnYIgAEKauE.jpg

not even sure myself o0

I watched the video of the guy in glasses. Doesn't seem like a joke. It's actually kind of interesting. The guy with the glasses was basically like "Yeah...I don't really feel a common bond with other white people. More so with jewish people actually"

I wonder if bonds can only really occur among minority groups or marginalized populations. If, once your "group" becomes the norm, you simply take it for granted and lose the "bond" you have with them.

For instance, how if you go to a foreign country and find a bunch of Americans, you feel a certain bond with them, even if back in America you'd feel nothing in particular for those same exact people. I didn't watch that guy's (in your picture) clip though

Mumei

... Uggh:

Last Thursday the Supreme Court agreed to hear arguments in the case of Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs v. The Inclusive Communities Project. The case concerns the “disparate impact” rule, a legal guideline embedded in the 1968 Fair Housing Act that says discrimination doesn’t have to be intentional to be discrimination. This rule has been at the bedrock of fair-housing enforcement for more than four decades.

Another way to understand disparate impact is this: It’s a way to confront the realities of racial inequality without trying to prove the motivations of an institution, organization, or landlord. In housing especially, it’s rare to get someone as explicit about his discrimination as Donald Sterling. More often, you must look for patterns of unequal results or unfair treatment that stem from “objective” or “neutral” criteria.

In United States v. Wells Fargo, for example, the Department of Justice sued the mortgage lender over its role in the subprime market. According to the suit, Wells Fargo brokers raised interest rates and fees for more than 30,000 minority customers, and encouraged black and Hispanic homeowners to take subprime loans even if they qualified for traditional financing. We don’t know if malice drove this policy, but under disparate impact guidelines, it doesn’t matter: The government can show concrete harm and act accordingly.

But it’s also controversial, with opponents who see it as subversive to equal protection. “Instead of promoting equal protection under the law,” wrote Ammon Simon for National Review in 2012, disparate impact “grasps at ‘ensuring equal results,’ treating people like depersonalized ‘components of a racial, religious, sexual or national class.’ ” Likewise, in his concurrence in Ricci v. DeStefano—an affirmative action case—Justice Antonin Scalia swings at the doctrine, calling disparate impact provisions in employment practices a “racial thumb on the scales” that forces discriminatory “racial decisionmaking.”

Scalia and the conservative bloc of the Supreme Court are hostile to almost all race-conscious policies—from affirmative action (which Justice Clarence Thomas once compared to segregation) to important parts of the Voting Rights Act—and want to end disparate impact as a federal tool. Last year they almost had a chance; a group of New Jersey residents challenged disparate impact in Mount Holly v. Mount Holly Gardens Citizens in Action, Inc., a fight over a neighborhood revitalization plan that plaintiffs claimed would dislocate and disproportionately harm minority residents. But the case was settled before it could reach the high court.

With the latest case, a settlement is unlikely. The court will hear disparate impact, and most likely—following Chief Justice John Roberts’ infamous declaration that “the way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race”—end it.

But hey, colorblindness is the only way to end racism!1!!

Who is surprised that the conservatives on the court are obsessed with a rigid colorblind standard that allows for discrimination stemming from "objective" or "neutral" criteria that just incidentally have a disproportionate impact on black people? It's almost like they want discriminatory outcomes.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Why yall let Tinashe flop like that???

I don't know why the fuck they pushed her as yet another R&B artist that just makes pop hits on Mustard-on-da-the-track-hoe beat #30,000. Foolish.

She's got a way better catalog and deserves better. :(

... Uggh:

Who is surprised that the conservatives on the court are obsessed with a rigid colorblind standard that allows for discrimination stemming from "objective" or "neutral" criteria that just incidentally have a disproportionate impact on black people? It's almost like they want discriminatory outcomes.

It's gotten to the point where my eyes just start to glaze over when I read about shit like this. "It's not fair! We're doing more harm to minorities this way! Racism will end once we turn a blind eye to it!" ugh.

I don't know why the fuck they pushed her as yet another R&B artist that just makes pop hits on Mustard-on-da-the-track-hoe beat #30,000. Foolish.

She's got a way better catalog and deserves better. :(

It's gotten to the point where my eyes just start to glaze over when I read about shit like this. "It's not fair! We're doing more harm to minorities this way! Racism will end once we turn a blind eye to it!" ugh.

I was on facebook and some dude had a video of Raven's interview with Oprah. He said "Finally, Kill the diversity". The shit pisses me off and then I went to reddit and there was a thread about how Africans felt about African-Americans and there was alot of complaiining about us bringing up racism and discrimination. After that shit I was done.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
... Uggh:

Housing discrimination is one of the most widespread, far-reaching, government organized institutions of racism that is still allowed to go on today. It's disgusting and you can trace the lines of influence in pretty much any state in the US in regards to how voting blocks, school districts and economically challenged areas are zoned. One of the major eye-openers for me in regards to more personal struggles was this article in the Atlantic, I forgot who linked it but I am 90% sure it was Mumei or someone else in the BCT:

The Case for Reparations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom