• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Hey Silky I saw your post in that thread talking about Survival Horror and I dunno if you saw my response but I was gonna repost it here if you wanted to talk about it. Either way, I'm gonna put it here in case anyone else had an opinion about the genre because I know a few of us in here have some interest and I'm dying to know if anyone else has the same pet peeves as me in regards to it haha

Silky, I see that we have a similar stance with games like these, but you shouldn't give Survival Horror YOUR definition. What you can do is say what kind of SH game fits your fancy.

By definition, Survival Horror is a subgenre of the Action genre with mystery/ puzzle solving influences with horror themes, therefore there will be similarities with each. The survival portion in particular is where the games are action focused, but to spin it away from games like RE4 (Action Horror), RE5 (Action Thriller) and RE6 (Dramatic Horror) the combat (action) is used only for as defensive purposes (therefore used to survive).

For clarity, Survival Horror games have combat, but the combat is based around defense instead of attack. That is why going in guns blazing, fighting off hordes doesn't fit the genre.

Games like Amnesia are Psychological Horror with flight focused gameplay (this is also the category for Outlast, Slenderman, etc). This type of gameplay is evolved from older survival horror games such as Clock Tower and Haunting Ground. However, Haunting Ground also has defensive mechanics to be used as a last resort. This survival horror game format has since been converted solely into psychological horror because people who used these games as inspiration have ultimately removed the defense mechanics and left us with only one option~ flee from danger.

Alien: Isolation is a survival horror because you are given options to fight back with the exception of the alien. Like older Survival Horror games, you're encouraged to avoid conflict, but you don't have to at your own risk. You are in control and can make decisions accordingly to survive and that's why it is Survival Horror.

TEW may be bland as hell to look at, but it does have qualities of a survival horror game. It focuses on limited resources and a need to survive the horrors with those limitations. Therefore it fits the status quo albeit not tastefully so and that's also what turns me off from it. I'll explain why below.

Personally, I don't see any game that has an enemy that can't be fought off or enemies that are nearly unbeatable as a Survival Horror game I can enjoy. It's a pet peeve of mine. Part of what I like about older RE games like RE2 and 3 and Silent Hill games is that you're given enough ammo to kill everything you come in contact with, including the big bosses like Nemesis and Mr. X every time they show up. But what stops us from using so much resources is the fear we will run out.

I feel like a survival horror game has succeeded if and ONLY IF they've gotten me so paranoid about my supplies that I don't realize I have nothing to worry about until my next play through. I make split decisions as I see fit and not because the game demands it of me. That's not survival imo. IRL, it's only natural I'm gonna find whatever I can to defend myself regarding weaponry. If I don't have any other options to protect myself except an empty gun and melee weapons that can only help me once, I get turned off immediately.

That isn't realistic at all. It's fucking inconvenient and dumb. If I'm running out of supplies when I am told I have to defend myself from a sea of monsters or when the hallway is so freaking narrow I have to get lucky trying to avoid monsters, that's poor design imo. Again, I should be given enough ammo to kill everything in the game, but FEEL like I need every bullet for the final boss or upcoming boss fights.

By my definition, Alien, TEW and many games released lately are not Survival Horror. But I don't care, I'm picky about that aspect. I have no qualms expressing my dislike for REmake and RE0 because of these factors. Scavenging for bullets doesn't make a game a challenge or make me feel like a survivor, nor is it enjoyable. Just tedious and a chore, and well, boring.

Unless I'm playing on the highest difficulty, I should have supplies. I should have a fighting chance but second guess myself because I want to, not because I'm forced to. Especially if I don't have any saving grace once I'm empty handed.

But that's my opinion, others seem to like the dragging and troublesome struggle. Eh, that's their ordeal, not mine. (Well until I get Alien: Isolation because I love the movies and need to scratch an itch LOL).

Seriously I have yet to play a decent survival horror game that can surpass the realism of the Outbreak games. *sigh*

ReiGun

Hello. Actually surprised to see one of these threads.

Where you're from- Venezuela. Lived there for only a year, then Immediately moved to the US with my grandmother.
Where you live- United States
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Afro-Venezuelan
Do you know your roots- So-so. Once I finish with university I want to learn a bit more about myself before pursuing my career.
Your Age- 23
Favorite musical genre- Hip-Hop/Rap, J-Rap, Ska, Reggae, Speed Punk
Your profession/major/career interest- Biology
Your religious affiliation- No comment.
Hobbies- Gaming, of course. Fighting game and RTS lover. Along with a bit of anime. I raise two dogs, one husky the other beagle (GF owns a Daschund. :L)

I hope I can stick around long enough to post. University has me swamped. :l

Welcome. What kind of fighters do you play?

Also, how do you like your grits?

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Where you're from- Venezuela. Lived there for only a year, then Immediately moved to the US with my grandmother.
Do you know your roots- So-so. Once I finish with university I want to learn a bit more about myself before pursuing my career.
Your Age- 23
Hobbies- Gaming, of course. Fighting game and RTS lover. Along with a bit of anime. I raise two dogs, one husky the other beagle (GF owns a Daschund. :L)

Welcome! :D

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Honestly, I've found myself in the camp that views "survival horror" as one of the dumbest and emptiest genre descriptions for a video game ever. It's getting to be (already is) the video game equivalent to horror genre shaming in film.

"Oh this movie is really good and it's drama aspects outshine the horror elements, therefore, it can't be horror, even though a demonic baby killed ten people with Satan's toenail in the second act."

Jado

Banned
Input lag wrecks my shit in Smash more than the people I'm playing against. It's not too bad, but there's always that one or two second delay when I'm going for a counter or airdodge that ends with my losing a stock.

I'd also like to retract my previous "Fuck Little Mac" statement. He's not so bad once you've played him a couple times, especially since most Macs are totally brain dead. Palutena and Rosalina can fuck off though. Bowser Jr and Koopa Kids too.

I played a guy who was maybe worse than me, yet soundly beat me every round because of his uniquely bizarre shit lag that he was obviously used to. My controls were unresponsive, utter crap and could barely do anything. It made me hate the game.

Kraftwerk

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910427

jayzd.gif

Silky

Banned
Hey Silky I saw your post in that thread talking about Survival Horror and I dunno if you saw my response but I was gonna repost it here if you wanted to talk about it. Either way, I'm gonna put it here in case anyone else had an opinion about the genre because I know a few of us in here have some interest and I'm dying to know if anyone else has the same pet peeves as me in regards to it haha

Seriously I have yet to play a decent survival horror game that can surpass the realism of the Outbreak games. *sigh*

Read it. There are some things where I disagree with (Psychological Horror would be something along the lines of Manhunt or Second Sight IMO.) but you do have a point.

I love ___ Horror. I feel as if Isolation will be the first real title that gives me a good horror feeling. This and Project Scissors gives me hope.

Power Instinct and KI. :p

I do got a pretty decent 98 team. I haven't played KOF in so long. I'm more of a Last Blade person, myself.

I have never played Power Instinct.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Honestly, I've found myself in the camp that views "survival horror" as one of the dumbest and emptiest genre descriptions for a video game ever. It's getting to be (already is) the video game equivalent to horror genre shaming in film.

"Oh this movie is really good and it's drama aspects outshine the horror elements, therefore, it can't be horror, even though a demonic baby killed ten people with Satan's toenail in the second act."

Great point. And I agree. There's great games out there that get railroaded just for not having this or that. It's ridiculous. :(

It's an old genre that's long lost it's meaning (a meaning I'm not sure was ever there because the survival aspect to so many of them was really lacking until Outbreak). Frankly, it's not worth the trouble trying to separate an already niche genre by splitting hairs over little tidbits like this and that.

Read it. There are some things where I disagree with (Psychological Horror would be something along the lines of Manhunt or Second Sight IMO.) but you do have a point.

I love ___ Horror. I feel as if Isolation will be the first real title that gives me a good horror feeling. This and Project Scissors gives me hope.

I have never played Power Instinct.

I haven't tried Manhunt yet. Heh it's horror month, maybe I should give it a shot.

Isolation looks so great. I can't wait to get my hands on that game. Alien franchise has life again! :D

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
NeoGAFers think YouTubers are as socially and romantically inept as them.
Typical of GAF, dude got the last pairing wrong. Dunno why doing research and knowing what you are talking about became optional to presenting points on the internet.

Slayven

Your Age- 23

Welcome

wait i just noticed i read Vermillion's question wrong. The answer is the same but the people i'm thinking of are different and have 1 thing in common
religion "of course"

Guys... Jordan lost. His dad died, his ex took him to the cleaners and his wardrobe makes Steve Harvey look like George Cooney.

Oh wait, lol, none of that stuff matters because he won the only battles that count.

Slayven

I rather dig the hole in the landfill that all those unsold copies of W101 and Bayonetta 2 is going end up up in than watch a pewpie video. But I won't begrudge the man for making money and having a fine chick.

RP912

Banned
I tried watching a Pewdiepie video once and took a break from youtube for a day. I watch some random shit like LA Beast and etc...but dude is annoying yet can't hate the hustle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom