• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two legendries, blues and an exotic helm, cant let that go to waste lol. Im more pissed that you can get other class armor with cyrptarchs, thats like a kick in the dick

Dis.man.tled.

Gimme my ascendant shard or whatever and lets keep it moving. Xur sells exotics every weekend and once you level up a faction legendaries don't mean much.

It's cool if you're already planning to test out the other classes cause you get a bit of a bump, but for me, I'd rather get my ascendant shards since my character still needs tons of it.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I can relate Angelus.

Every guy I talk to thinks that I'm flirting with them ~ even the most generic conversation. A simple "have a nice day" or some random video game talk is somehow the equivalent of saying "hey wanna go out?".

The other day, I was driving around the parking lot to go to a class and some guy driving past me says "How you doin?". I just smiled.

Dude starting going crazy with excitement.

I mean, wat?

Order

I can relate Angelus.

Every guy I talk to thinks that I'm flirting with them ~ even the most generic conversation. A simple "have a nice day" or some random video game talk is somehow the equivalent of saying "hey wanna go out?".

The other day, I was driving around the parking lot to go to a class and some guy driving past me says "How you doin?". I just smiled.

I mean, wat?

Some dudes think the most simple things have to be a sign for something.

Malyse

One last character before I go to bed.

meet Fú cì Tiānshàng (福赐天上)

fu_ci_tianshang_by_meago-d5mcztr.png
commission__fu_ci_tianshang_by_mikeinel-d5ns7lc.jpg

The second one was drawn by Mike Inel of Draw with me fame.

First one is by Meago of meagosaga, if anyone happens to read polish comic books.

And in case anyone was wondering, her name roughly means "blessing, a heavenly gift" in Chinese.

this is by far my favorite character. And not she's not a fighter, she's an NPC.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I expect meltdowns for reviews of TEW

I mean, reviews really don't matter for most people interested in Horror Games. Personally, I stopped caring for them after how dirty they've done Musou games in the past. Great games dragged through the mud... :(

Whatever outcome there is for the game, I just hope people don't go around clinging to it like the messiah. We need innovation in gaming, not remasters and clones all the damn time.

I can relate Angelus.

I mean, wat?

A friend of mine has similar experiences.

Mortemis

Banned
I can relate Angelus.

I mean, wat?

Damn. Well I kinda understand, some people are just socially incapable of understanding how to take clues, difference between a normal hello and interest, that stuff that would be easy to get for most but hard for others.

That I can get, but I'll never get those guys who cry about how hard it is to get a trophy girl and blame shit on others for their problems with women.

ReiGun

I talk to everyone the same regardless of intent, I think. I don't even know/remember how to flirt. lol So I wouldn't even know if people are interested. I don't pick up on shit like that at all, so I just assume everyone, man or woman, is being personable/friendly.

I need to stop hanging out with certain people. Clown me for basic shit and make me even more self-conscious than usual.

Being a shut in for about a year helped me with this. Learned that even though I have love for so many people, I really had to distance myself if I was ever going to have any sense of self-esteem. Even people who care about you can be toxic just based on who they are.

DominoKid

I think my confidence gain when I started working as a cashier. Some women came by and gave me the "make a move first" type of vibe. I guess it's the sense of being modest which I tend to feel to this day even with my wife. Sometimes I wonder why she chose a "herb" like me until I realize my self worth.

that's the only thing i miss about being a cashier. it's just not the same talking to folks on the phone/skype/gchat.

Yep. Just too much sometimes.

I kinda pity guys that feel like they have to be a special type of person to appeal to a woman. You shouldn't have to change who you are to catch a date and it isn't like you have to treat women like these goddesses who will do no wrong to get one.

If dudes aren't treating women like trophies, they're treating us like shit.

I can't really think of which is worst to be honest. Either we are less than dirt or we're objects, not humans. Gross either way.

i used to think that but i obviously need to change something about myself cause i have zip zero luck with women.

Mortemis

Banned
I expect meltdowns for reviews of TEW

I'm waiting patiently.

Well the way to get more social skills honed is to use them but that requires turning off the anime and putting down the controller.

Yep, you can't go out expecting to be a really sociable person without actually getting yourself out there and putting effort into your social life. Some people's views on reality end up getting fucked up when focusing your life solely like that, can't be surprised when you see threads like that one.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Some dudes think the most simple things have to be a sign for something.

To be fair, this is true for women as well haha

I saw a girl get excited because this guy said her name. Lawd that was funny.

Damn. Well I kinda understand, some people are just socially incapable of understanding how to take clues, difference between a normal hello and interest, that stuff that would be easy to get for most but hard for others.

That I can get, but I'll never get those guys who cry about how hard it is to get a trophy girl and blame shit on others for their problems with women.

I doubt he was socially inept. He was in a car full of people. Before I pulled up beside him he was side by side with another car full of people too, having this very long conversation that I had to interrupt because they were blocking traffic.

Sure it's possible he could be socially inept but it seemed unlikely given the circumstances. Even his friends in the car were excited for him.

You would think I flashed them or something...

Well the way to get more social skills honed is to use them but that requires turning off the anime and putting down the controller.

I laughed at the bolded but you're absolutely right.

Village

One last character before I go to bed.

meet Fú cì Tiānshàng (福赐天上)

The second one was drawn by Mike Inel of Draw with me fame.

First one is by Meago of meagosaga, if anyone happens to read polish comic books.

And in case anyone was wondering, her name roughly means "blessing, a heavenly gift" in Chinese.

this is by far my favorite character. And not she's not a fighter, she's an NPC.

Your an artist dude? Nice, so am I. Like your character too. Equus

I need to stop hanging out with certain people. Clown me for basic shit and make me even more self-conscious than usual.
Yea man that shit's not healthy for you. I pretty much never bring up talking to the opposite sex or rather clowning/pressuring them to do so. Just seems like an asshole thing to do.

I can relate Angelus.

I mean, wat?

I imagine it's much worse for females. Dudes take the most innocent of gestures as signs of interest and go all in like their life depended on it. I've seen it so many times and it makes me cringe every time.

Village

I can relate Angelus.

I mean, wat?

Maybe you are so visually immaculate that concept of someone like you talking to them makes them think you are invested or at least giving them some sort of charity, because someone who is a golden glowing god such as yourself would usually ignore and or spit at them.

.... or they are desperate. Whichever one makes more sense to you. Whichever lore you choose to invest in.

I kinda assume opposite, I just assume people need me for something when they approach me or whatever.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
But wasn't TLOU a horror game?

I guess we all can agree it looks like it's doing nothing spectacular? The only thing that makes me actually fascinated by Alien: Isolation is the androids and other factors besides the Alien being the sole enemy ~ and weapons! :D

The last FP horror game I ever encountered that had guns was this game called Nightmare House (can't remember if it was 1 or 2). Game was terrifying. I wanted it but you know Ishi don't fuck with supernatural shit. :(

Yea man that shit's not healthy for you. I pretty much never bring up talking to the opposite sex or rather clowning/pressuring them to do so. Just seems like an asshole thing to do.

Not pressuring me to do so, but like... clowning me when I say something innocuous to someone. Eh, I really just need to put less stock in what they say.

But wasn't TLOU a horror game?

I guess we all can agree it looks like it's doing nothing spectacular? The only thing that makes me actually fascinated by Alien: Isolation is the androids and other factors besides the Alien being the sole enemy ~ and weapons! :D

The last FP horror game I ever encountered that had guns was this game called Nightmare House (can't remember if it was 1 or 2). Game was terrifying. I wanted it but you know Ishi don't fuck with supernatural shit. :(

TLOU was like a stealth game with horror here and there and relied more on the Post-Apocalyptic setting than being a straight up horr-

you know what..TLOU was the fucking Walking Dead...that's it..

Evil Within just hits those notes for those that want that style of game.

Mortemis

Banned
Guys it doesn't matter if TEW is garbage, Mikami made my favorite game RE4 so it'll be my goty just because he made it.

-I still to this day can't tell if the guy who said this was sarcastic or serious.

I doubt he was socially inept. He was in a car full of people. Before I pulled up beside him he was side by side with another car full of people too, having this very long conversation that I had to interrupt because they were blocking traffic.

Sure it's possible he could be socially inept but it seemed unlikely given the circumstances. Even his friends in the car were excited for him.

You would think I flashed them or something...

Dude was probably desperate as hell then, taking any sort of contact and interest.

ReiGun

is it crazy that i dont even know what TEW even looks like, and have no vested interest to check?

If you're crazy, I'm crazy. If it weren't for you cats talking about it and this one hardcore horror fan hyping it up on my twitter, I wouldn't even know it exists.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
TLOU walking dead comparison is apt. If that's the type of horror naughty dog was going for, then Mikami was going for something infinitely more oppressive in nature.

FreeMufasa

Good post I saw

Caution: This turns into a rant out of nowhere.

I grew up in one of the worst parts of Scotland, a slum that was the location for the "heroin baby" parts of Trainspotting. My dad left when I was three so my mother raised three of us (two sisters) herself, with part time jobs. There were days I didn't eat, but those were rare. We ate very poorly, however and if it wasn't for free school lunch, it would have been grinding.

I was the only one of our family who went to college, again, thanks to a free education system, there were plenty of rungs out of poverty for those who could reach them to climb. Which sounds simple, but when you grow up in poverty and violence, you don't get to "be" smart. You're surrounded in rough schools by rough, pasty-faced thugs who will continually drag you back down to their level.

I struggled out of it, got an education, got a great, lucky-ass first job as a writer on a games magazine in England, eventually moved to the States and I am now very comfortable. If my twelve year old self could see me now, he'd think me "rich." But while I am comfortable and sensible with money, the occasional 3am terror wakes me up, believing myself back in that grim, violent poverty. So I never feel safe. (OP should watch the Herzog documentary, "Little Dieter Needs to Fly to get an insight into his food hoarding).

Scotland in the 1970s was almost completely homogenous and white, so I have a slightly weird view of American race and poverty, but the older I get, the more correct I believe it is.

African American poverty is an institutionalized version of the poor kids I grew up among. They aren't poor because of some inherent flaw in their makeup. They aren't more violent than the poor in my country (actually, I'd argue less so, since the lack of guns where I grew up makes other less lethal forms of violence more casual and frequent).

The point and difference being that this country has a very obvious history of problems, and since African Americans are easily identified, they can be easily and continually discriminated against, cementing many of their problems. I always find it absolutely confounding that racists in this country FUCKING INSIST on pretending that discrimination isn't the cause, and that instead there's an inherent flaw in that "culture." How a human brain can contain those two ideas at the same time - that black people are awful and that black people aren't discriminated against - without exploding into a jelly of cognitive dissonance, is beyond me.,

Black people are (more likely to be) poor because of racism, pure and simple. It doesn't have to be deliberate or even evil. In this country I think there are reflexes built into both individuals and systems. Even "good" people do racist things or do too little to prevent them.

"Why don't they fix the problems in the inner cities themselves?" is the refrain, and it's aggravating as fuck. There is no "they" except the "they" deliberate and accidental discrimination create and maintain.

What's the point of that rant? I'm not sure. Just that sometimes I will see a poor black kid in a shitty neighborhood in the States and think, "That kid might be smarter than me. He might work harder than me. He might be having a much harder time than I ever did." But that he's fucked, because this country won't lower that ladder down to him. Because it recognizes him on sight. The simple fact of the way he looks and a history and habit of hating it.

That ladder was lowered to me because I looked the same as the systems and people in charge of it. They didn't recognize my origin. It didn't really matter.

I still marvel at how recent the civil rights era was. We were on our way to the fucking MOON. And it was still legal apartheid. Fucking crazy. And don't get me started on Obama Derangement Syndrome.

The only cure is time and hard work and deliberately going out of our way to lower the ladder to everyone. And to those that need it most, first. Which is why it's not Affirmative Action. It's basic fucking fairness. It's going the extra yard to do what you should have been doing in the first place and didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom