• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
#gamergate really has some people on that "i know there are a few bad eggs but i'm not one of them, stop lumping me in! no, i don't have a solution, why should i? i'm not the problem!" feel for the first time.

yeah, i've been living that since birth and switching to another hashtag won't change it for me.

Slayven

#gamergate really has some people on that "i know there are a few bad eggs but i'm not one of them, stop lumping me in! no, i don't have a solution, why should i? i'm not the problem!" feel for the first time.

yeah, i've been living that since birth and switching to another hashtag won't change it for me.

Yeah that been the thing for the last week or so. I mean when your whole movement starts over some fuck shit, and compounds it with new and varieid fuck shit. Maybe it is just not a good movement.

ReiGun

Are people honestly genuinely surprised by gamergate?

I mean we've been telling y'all for years how awful dudes are to us in games and on forums. This is just out in the open shit really.

It's the mental gymnastics some are using to "save" the hashtag that astound me. "Bu bu bu it's all about ethics in games journalism."

Let's keep it funky: if gamers wanted to have that conversation for real, this "movement" would have started years ago. We've known for years that a lot of game journos, the major ones especially, are basically in the pocket of publishers. We've known about the special parties, the swag bags, the bidding wars for coverage, the embargos that basically render reviews useless for what they're supposed to do (inform customers before they purchase a product). Shit ain't new. But as long as those perfect scores and Game Trailers exclusive previews were flowing like water and it was business as usual, everyone was cool.

Then all these women folk and minorities and LGBT people started speaking up and saying "Games are fun, but the culture surrounding them is kinda fucked" and those major sites started giving them a platform. Now we gotta talk seriously about game writing. Because now the press are acting unethically. Fuck outta here.

Silky

Banned
Fighting Games Weekly got me salty over fucking YGO competitive play. You know Konami lost their minds when they start unbanning god tier cards but wont unban pot of greed

royalan

I just read my first page of that Gamergate thread in Gaming Side.

Just picked a page at random...

Man, bless those of you who have been taking on that bullshit and fighting the good fight. Because I just can't. I nearly got a nosebleed from the one page I read.

Are people honestly genuinely surprised by gamergate?

I mean we've been telling y'all for years how awful dudes are to us in games and on forums. This is just out in the open shit really.

Not at all. Gotta be kinda naive to be so.

Just picked a page a random...

Man, bless those of you who have been taking on that bullshit and fighting the good fight. Because I just can't. I nearly got a nosebleed from the one page I read.

I usually avoid big-ass threads like that because it's just so overwhelming..

I kinda wanna go into it for a quick second :p

Silky

Banned
Why was Pot of Greed banned?

More draw power, no risk. You don't want your opponent drawing cards obv. Mind you this was when folks can put 3 Pot of Greeds in their deck. Easy +1 for you.

Which is questionable but compare that shit to fucking Raigeki

Though I think Jar of Greed is unbanned because trap card lol

Slayven

Just picked a page a random...

I am too old and got a bum knee, so i can't keep up with those hoops and gymnastics those dudes go through to prove their points.

More draw power, no risk. You don't want your opponent drawing cards obv. Mind you this was when folks can put 3 Pot of Greeds in their deck. Easy +1 for you.

I see, must be a full time job balancing a game with like 6000 cards.

Silky

Banned
The additional fusion systems are fucking annoying, but otherwise as of '11 YGO balancing has been pretty consistent. But the bipolar banlists every year really get on my nerve.

Just picked a page at random...

That shit is so baffling to me

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
8PnvFl7.jpg

completely miss the show. people really showing that naruto support this year.

Slayven

The additional fusion systems are fucking annoying, but otherwise as of '11 YGO balancing has been pretty consistent. But the bipolar banlists every year really get on my nerve.

Synchro: Getting some higher monsters on the field a little quicker. nothing wrong with that.

XYZ: And evolution of synchro. Monsters get powerful abilities but you might only get to use them once or twice.

Pendulum: Andasdsaierwqeqwqwqdnmaas!!!

ReiGun

Crazy thing about YGO is how all the kind of innocuous cards (at least to me) seem to be the real game breakers. Pot of Greed blew my mind once I first saw it was banned. But then I was never that good.

Pendulum seems ridiculous.

Gorillaz

I remember checking back into the Yugioh meta game a few years ago after taking like a decade off from it. Half of the shit from the original series is banned nowadays which, in the pace of the meta game now, makes sense. Alot of it now is basically a "something lost/something gained" style of play.

ReiGun

Ritual summoning never felt worth it to me. Rather just do fusions or regular assed summoning for all that. But then, I never had any of the better ritual cards, so maybe there were some that justified the setup.

Gorillaz

If Iggy didn't respond back like that he probably would have slowed down or gave up

Now that she did, and knows that he got her caught up in her feelings, he's going to raise the fuckery level to a new level.

Snoop should have never. Shit was petty....at least bring attention to that fake-ass accent she does.

Everytime I hear her I double take like she's trying to mock someone.

Wow T-Mobile is on some shady shit. All links to Nexus 5 for them goes to a iphone 6 page. Even the link from google play store, google searches for pages ending in google.HTML , etc

Crocodile

Yu Gi Oh always struck me as "babby's first card game". I don't see the appeal and I think the only way I could is if I was first introduced to the card game and had a circle of players playing it when I was like 7 (did the game even exist back then?).

One of the biggest strikes against the game is the fucking text size. I have good vision but I can barely read those cards. I guess that's why the playerbase is so young? At some point, i.e. late twenties and later, your eyes deteriorate to the point where you can't even read the card text?

Infinite

Though I think Jar of Greed is unbanned because trap card lol
that and during the trinity format if you had pot of greed delinquent duo and graceful charity you gained significant advantage from playing those three cards. It had to go. Most draw cards now don't net you a free +1 like pot of greed does as they usually require a cost or two.

RedSwirl

It's the mental gymnastics some are using to "save" the hashtag that astound me. "Bu bu bu it's all about ethics in games journalism."

Let's keep it funky: if gamers wanted to have that conversation for real, this "movement" would have started years ago. We've known for years that a lot of game journos, the major ones especially, are basically in the pocket of publishers. We've known about the special parties, the swag bags, the bidding wars for coverage, the embargos that basically render reviews useless for what they're supposed to do (inform customers before they purchase a product). Shit ain't new. But as long as those perfect scores and Game Trailers exclusive previews were flowing like water and it was business as usual, everyone was cool.

Then all these women folk and minorities and LGBT people started speaking up and saying "Games are fun, but the culture surrounding them is kinda fucked" and those major sites started giving them a platform. Now we gotta talk seriously about game writing. Because now the press are acting unethically. Fuck outta here.

Boom.

You could kinda maybe make the argument that twitter wasn't around 10 years ago (the first time I felt this discussion could have come up, and actually did in a smaller capacity), but even then I see people completely ignorant of the history of the "ethics in games journalism" issue.

Infinite

Ritual summoning never felt worth it to me. Rather just do fusions or regular assed summoning for all that. But then, I never had any of the better ritual cards, so maybe there were some that justified the setup.
Ritual summons was garbage for the most part. You gave up 3 specific cards to bring out 1 monster, not a wise investment in most cases. They made some good ritual support and monsters eventually that seen some play.

The best summoning mechanic so far was Xyz summons followed by synchro summons.

royalan

Boom.

You could kinda maybe make the argument that twitter wasn't around 10 years ago (the first time I felt this discussion could have come up, and actually did in a smaller capacity), but even then I see people completely ignorant of the history of the "ethics in games journalism" issue.

It's just like most (all?) Men's Rights Movements.

They make the claim to be about standing up and combating the issues that plague men and the perceived attack on masculinity...and yet the only time you ever really see them organize is when they're attacking the opinions of women and the idea of Feminism, rather than addressing the very real issues that men DO face, and for which Men's Rights Activism might actually be useful in combatting.

Issues like what's been covered in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=912323

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yea, shit was super fucked up coming from Snoop.

Even if he came after the accent, I still wouldn't be able to take it seriously, after he was outchea in white-face low key shitting on black female performers. lol

The "I Wanna Be Down" performance was legit as fuck on the Hip Hop Awards.

Yessirrr. Shit was dope.

Glad to see Battle Rappers are carving themselves out a legitimate place in Hip Hop. That live Cypher with Murda Mook was pretty dope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXb7ZGw9m38

They didn't give a solitary fuck and brought the noise. Best cypher of the event.

ReiGun

Boom.

Even though Twitter has made it easier for things to spread and reach larger audiences, fact is we were still in chat rooms, on message boards, and in comment sections. And these conversations were not happening.

I think the term "faux outrage" is bullshit most of the times, but if there were ever an application for it, it's gamer gate's supposed concern over game journalism's ethics.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I've read:

Red Son
All-Star Superman
Secret Identity
Birthright
Earth One Vol. 1 & 2

Got anything else for me?

Superman for All Seasons
Whatever Happened to the Man Of Tomorrow
For the Man Who Has Everything
Hitman #34

jWILL253

Banned
Why Vince gon go in on Peter Parker, then prop up Superman like Batman ain't been bullying that nigga for the last 20 years?

And I don't even know why y'all even try to go in on that GamerGate shit. This is the same forum that had dudes tryin'a justify Quiet's character design on some "YOU DONT KNOW HER BACKSTORY" shit.

Shit is futile, breh. I admit, I fell for the initial "journalistic integrity" bit at first, but after that shit was proved to be astroturf, I bailed the fuck up outta that whole discussion.

Women should be able to play, make, and enjoy games without no bullshit, period.

cdyhybrid

Why Vince gon go in on Peter Parker, then prop up Superman like Batman ain't been bullying that nigga for the last 20 years?

And I don't even know why y'all even try to go in on that GamerGate shit. This is the same forum that had dudes tryin'a justify Quiet's character design on some "YOU DONT KNOW HER BACKSTORY" shit.

Shit is futile, breh. I admit, I fell for the initial "journalistic integrity" bit at first, but after that shit was proved to be astroturf, I bailed the fuck up outta that whole discussion.

Women should be able to play, make, and enjoy games without no bullshit, period.

Vince is just playing his role and going heel.

Vince pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom