• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be that as it may, I totes get the sentiment. Why give a fuck about a world that does give a fuck about you, right?

That being said, I fully disagree with the mentality. Empathy matters and the inverse of the previous question applies.

DD, did you just drop an un-ironic "totes" on me

xJ3sq.png

Well, it isn't so simple to avoid these things when they are blatant. The problems on gaming side quite often come to reflect in the OT and when issues are prevalent is probably when we all need to step in more than ever.

Also, I'm not about to miss out on any news for my favorite games because misogynists are trolling. Nope, nope, nope.

I feel like people are misunderstanding me. I'm not saying don't step in and attempt to educate on those topics. That's a great thing to do, even if it tries the patience.

I'm saying that I've seen people say that they avoid gaming side because of the ignorance posted there, yet they show up in the topics that have peak ignorance. All that said, it does not appear that you are one of those people, as you do not avoid gaming side regularly because of ignorance.

Trey

Dreamdrop you can pm me that fiction you were talking about earlier if you still need a read. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Mortemis

Banned
I feel like people are misunderstanding me. I'm not saying don't step in and attempt to educate on those topics. That's a great thing to do, even if it tries the patience.

I'm saying that I've seen people say that they avoid gaming side because of the ignorance posted there, yet they show up in the topics that have peak ignorance. All that said, it does not appear that you are one of those people, as you do not avoid gaming side regularly because of ignorance.

I'm not sure if I fully understand you, but I think its just how overwhelming gaming side can be. Its obviously the main portion of the site so most members go there, and threads move so fast that what can be a slower paced discussion in OT is moving pages in gaming side. When it comes to hot topics like misogyny in gaming and tons of ignorant posts are flying in it probably feels like too much.

I'm not sure if I fully understand you, but I think its just how overwhelming gaming side can be. Its obviously the main portion of the site so most members go there, and threads move so fast that what can be a slower paced discussion in OT is moving pages in gaming side. When it comes to hot topics like misogyny in gaming and tons of ignorant posts are flying in it probably feels like too much.

Not exactly what I'm saying:

1) There are posters that avoid gaming side on a regular basis, citing ignorance as a reason.
2) Many of these same posters show up on gaming side to post in the topics that are most likely to contain said ignorance (e.g., sexism, racism).

Therefore: If ignorance is the reason for avoiding gaming side, it makes no sense to post in the most ignorant topics.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I feel like this should be added to the bct cycle at some point. :scusthov:

Shit doesn't change by being apathetic, ignoring something that pervades into ones hobby, laughing it off, or dismissing it because dickheads have access to keyboards. Lots of people lurk and read. Maybe reading something that isn't silly as shit, might give them a different perspective. Maybe, someone might have a change of face, whom actually participates. Who knows.

Preaching to a choir doesn't change shit, breh. Sometimes, you do shit, on the slight chance that it might work, or you feel like venting.

Same shit with the isms.

Well said.

I know you aren't trying to be a critic or anything, it's okay, it is a fair question.

Like with any topic we're passionate about, sometimes it's not easy to stay away. And as oldschool said, given there's a slim chance someone just may listen, why not? If not the person debating with, maybe an observer.

Pretty much. Seeing how ignorance flourishes with subjects like racism/misogyny/etc, it gets to be excessive and exhausting but if we sit by idle, nothing changes so what else can we do?

Mortemis

Banned

1) There are posters that avoid gaming side on a regular basis, citing ignorance as a reason.
2) Many of these same posters show up on gaming side to post in the topics that are most likely to contain said ignorance (e.g., sexism, racism).

Therefore: If ignorance is the reason for avoiding gaming side, it makes no sense to post in the most ignorant topics.

Ah, thought you were talking about people choosing to post in OT threads about racism & sexism rather than gaming side threads.

To that question, some may already feel like gaming side is full if ignorant posters yet still choose to post because they feel passionate about the topic and want to still voice their opinion.

I think there's a difference between avoiding gaming because of general ignorance (console warz, sales warz, etc.) and gaming topics that are also ism-related, since most of us in here play games and have an investment in stomping ism-related ignorance.

I know you aren't trying to be a critic or anything, it's okay, it is a fair question.

Like with any topic we're passionate about, sometimes it's not easy to stay away. And as oldschool said, given there's a slim chance someone just may listen, why not? If not the person debating with, maybe an observer.

I think there's a difference between avoiding gaming because of general ignorance (console warz, sales warz, etc.) and gaming topics that are also ism-related, since most of us in here play games and have an investment in stomping ism-related ignorance.

Okay, fair enough. It seems that there is overlap (between the reasons people avoid gs and post in gs) sometimes, but eh.

ANYWAYS

1) Cannot wait for Smash Wii U, now that exclusive shit is confirmed.
2) The Bayonetta 2 demo got me hyped like no other demo before it. I need this game.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Okay, fair enough. It seems that there is overlap (between the reasons people avoid gs and post in gs) sometimes, but eh.

ANYWAYS

1) Cannot wait for Smash Wii U, now that exclusive shit is confirmed.
2) The Bayonetta 2 demo got me hyped like no other demo before it. I need this game.

umm, what?

Mortemis

Banned
Speaking about smash Wii u, one of my really good bros grabbed a Wii u and seeing how much of a broke ass I am right now, I think I'll just stick to the 3ds for day to day smash and go over to his house to play with him.

No Bayo 2 tho which sucks. :(

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Getting a Wii U between now and Christmas if I manage my money well enough haha

Need Smash and MK8 in my life. (Still wish King Boo and Bowser Jr were playable)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It has the Master Order and Crazy Order modes (pic of the day from two days ago, I think), and it was announced that we'll be getting new info on the Wii U version that will display the "true potential of Smash Bros."

i know about 8 player mode and boss battle, didnt know about those

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I would love to get Smash but I still can't see the point of buying a WiiU ever and won't put down a nice wad of cash for the system.
The point of buying a WiiU is the same as the point of buying any other system. Presumably it has games you want.

If it has enough games you want, and you can afford it, then there's the point right there.

Crocodile

I guess it's down to the prospects of 3rd party support, regardless of how many of those games end up delivering since they are oft still far off, and better online set ups (although they are now all under paywalls :/) but I feel for a lot of people a Wii U could could come with free blow jobs or cunnilingus and they still wouldn't bite with the current library but are content buying a PS4 or Xbone and then complaining they have nothing to play on their new system for a year+. Different strokes for different folks and all that I guess *shrug*

Then again, I'm one of those types that swore off buying consoles within a year, and often more, of their launch since they are always still working out kinks and most of the games released in that window tend to be forgettable.

I guess it's down to the prospects of 3rd party support, regardless of how many of those games end up delivering since they are oft still far off, and better online set ups (although they are now all under paywalls :/) but I feel for a lot of people a Wii U could could come with free blow jobs or cunnilingus and they still wouldn't bite with the current library but are content buying a PS4 or Xbone and then complaining they have nothing to play on their new system for a year+. Different strokes for different folks and all that I guess *shrug*

Then again, I'm one of those types that swore off buying consoles within a year, and often more, of their launch since they are always still working out kinks and most of the games released in that window tend to be forgettable.

Why would I need a Wii U for less powerful blow job when I can get the real deal for free?

But honestly the whole "Wii U got games PS4 and XBONE dont" thing only came after people were saying the bolded about the Wii U until the games came. As soon as the PS4 and XBONE gets in gear from what it looks like next year maybe? No one is really gonna be looking at Nintendo unless you just really like their shit.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
For me, I'm almost at the point where the system is justified from Nintendo's games alone.

Especially since I roll with PC for multiplatform stuff, so a lack of third party games is entirely irrelevant.

FyreWulff

I'm glad my PS4 was bought by my employer rather than myself because yeah. The game I'm playing on it the most (Destiny) is also available for the 360 and PS3.

Nintendo always justifies a purchase from their game output alone, but you always have to wait a while for them to get going. The N64 is still the worst Nintendo console for this, that was like getting a drip feed. You got one mainline Mario game and you FUCKING LIKED IT.

Not going to say no to having all 3 consoles but the next console I'm planning to buy with my own money is that blue 500GB 360..

Kreed

I know it's "just a game" but I'd question anyone purchasing/playing Hatred. All those jokes about murder simulators and someone actually made one. Won't be surprised when they announce it has a rape mini game.

SmokyDave

I know it's "just a game" but I'd question anyone purchasing/playing Hatred. All those jokes about murder simulators and someone actually made one. Won't be surprised when they announce it has a rape mini game.
I'd buy it. What questions do you have?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'd buy it. What questions do you have?
Maybe it's hypocritical of me but the premise and the focus of the violence itself makes me extremely uncomfortable. I don't think I've ever played a game that details every bit of torturing and killing an innocent person to that extent. The way the NPC beg for their lives in the trailer before the "protagonist" violently stabs them to death makes me feel ill.

To throw a wrench in the works though, I will say I greatly enjoyed playing Hotline Miami. So what does that mean?

RedSwirl

Speaking about smash Wii u, one of my really good bros grabbed a Wii u and seeing how much of a broke ass I am right now, I think I'll just stick to the 3ds for day to day smash and go over to his house to play with him.

No Bayo 2 tho which sucks. :(

Yep. Things might've been different if a 128GB iPhone hadn't come out this year.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Considering it doesn't beat around the bush and is essentially saying what it is, id consider admirable. Even Postal has some justification to its crazy shit oddly.
Admirable? Really? This is one of those arguments I'd agree with in theory but in practice (at least for Hatred) it seems kinda gross.

If that is Hatred's point then well done with holding up that mirror. But at that point, having done the trailer your job is done, don't actually make the game.

SmokyDave

What do you find appealing about the mass murder simulator?
The mass murder part, mostly. First thing I did in Dead Rising was gleefully kill 53,594 people to get a mega buster. Hotline Miami is at its best when you fling a knife between someone's eyes and then grab a pot of boiling water to scald his goon mate. I'm the dude that was taken in by a kind stranger in Bioshock Infinite, only to shoot him and his wife in the head before they could finish their canned dialogue.

I also find there's a certain appeal to this game not pretending to be anything other than a mass murder simulator. If nothing else, it's honest*.

*Edit: except the potential racial angle. If the game is obviously racist, they ought to own up to that with the main characters 'story'.
why not just play Postal 1 + 2?

I wouldn't buy it. I would play it for free just to see, but I can't imagine the gaming dynamic to be that entertaining or content filled.
Already played 'em both and they look like shit nowadays.

Maybe it's hypocritical of me but the premise and the focus of the violence itself makes me extremely uncomfortable. I don't think I've ever played a game that details every bit of torturing and killing an innocent person to that extent. The way the NPC beg for their lives in the trailer before the "protagonist" violently stabs them to death makes me feel ill.

To throw a wrench in the works though, I will say I greatly enjoyed playing Hotline Miami. So what does that mean?
I would play a literal torture simulator. Graphic as you like, with no redeeming story arc. Bonus points if it's Wiimote compatible.

Kreed, you hit the nail on the head when you said 'it's just a game'. Because really, that's all it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom