• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

Kreed, you hit the nail on the head when you said 'it's just a game'. Because really, that's all it is.

Sure, not trying to say it's more than a video game. Just that I question anyone would would find this appealing, similar to a game where you play a rapist or a murder of an ethnic group. They are still games/no one is being harmed, just don't see why someone would want to play it.

But you pretty much said everything I would expect though, so thanks for being candid.

SmokyDave

Sure, not trying to say it's more than a video game. Just that I question anyone would would find this appealing, similar to a game where you play a rapist or a murder of an ethnic group. They are still games/no one is being harmed, just don't see why someone would want to play it.

But you pretty much said everything I would expect though, so thanks for being candid.
I will say that the main thing I find appealing is that it's a good looking isometric shooter. If you replaced the humans with any other bipedal forms, I'd still want to play it just as much. It's just that the current theme doesn't put me off at all, nor does the gratuitous violence.

In one of my social circles, the topic of Gamer Gate came up. In said social circle, it's filled with mostly girls and one of them did not know what it was all about. We filled her in and thankfully a debate did not break out. It was not until we all suddenly started talking about the Wii U that shit started getting heated.

I think that was my first exposure to hardcore Nintendo fans, truthfully. They would not accept that the Wii U wasn't doing well in comparison to the other consoles and when I gave them reasons why they did not accept my answers. One of them, admittedly a younger dude, said, "Nintendo makes games that people will remember. No one's gonna remember Destiny in 10 years."

They're good people too, brehs... I'm just never gonna talk gaming with them other than actually playing games with them.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I would play a literal torture simulator. Graphic as you like, with no redeeming story arc. Bonus points if it's Wiimote compatible.

Kreed, you hit the nail on the head when you said 'it's just a game'. Because really, that's all it is.
I think for me, MHWilliams described it best. At least his words explain why there is a small disconnect in my mind between Hatred and Hotline Miami. With HM, you are fighting mobsters and most enemies are actively trying to kill you, but several do give up and beg before you take them out in gruesome ways. Is there a purpose to the slaughter? There is a phone call. But really it is just flimsy justification for a mass murder spree, regardless of how guilty your targets are or what your character's motivation is. And yet the excuses are still there.

The bridge too far being that Hatred just lays it out, and then glorifies it in a very realistic way, like...right in your face it portrays things awful as they can possibly be. Perhaps that's why I find it uncomfortable versus something like Hotline Miami. But perhaps these two games aren't so different after all.

FyreWulff

Don't you come around here with that talk. They be watching and they will come for you. Arrow stanning is worse then Wire or Breaking Bad stanning.

Way even ship on disc?

The sensible thing would be to just ship on two discs. But you won't believe the stupid office politics that have prevented the sane option from happening this generation and in previous generations because execs don't want the competition to go "lol they have to have multiple discs"

PC gaming doesn't even bat an eye, consoles are still quite immature about that.

Crocodile

In one of my social circles, the topic of Gamer Gate came up. In said social circle, it's filled with mostly girls and one of them did not know what it was all about. We filled her in and thankfully a debate did not break out. It was not until we all suddenly started talking about the Wii U that shit started getting heated.

I think that was my first exposure to hardcore Nintendo fans, truthfully. They would not accept that the Wii U wasn't doing well in comparison to the other consoles and when I gave them reasons why they did not accept my answers. One of them, admittedly a younger dude, said, "Nintendo makes games that people will remember. No one's gonna remember Destiny in 10 years."

They're good people too, brehs... I'm just never gonna talk gaming with them other than actually playing games with them.

What do you mean "not accept"?

As in "well that's certainly the truth of the current scenario but I don't think the reasons you outlined are the cause"

or

"well that's certainly the truth of the current scenario which is a shame because in spite of all you've said I still think the machine is a great value/best value of the three and it's a shame others don't agree with me"

or

"You're wrong, the WiiU is selling 5 millions units a month, Nintendo has made no mistakes and you are straight up lying to our faces"?

People will remember Destiny

although probably not that fondly

J10

Banned
I'm sure it's just a weird coincidence that all the annoyingly chatty people in all my classes happen to be black.

Slayven

The sensible thing would be to just ship on two discs. But you won't believe the stupid office politics that have prevented the sane option from happening this generation and in previous generations because execs don't want the competition to go "lol they have to have multiple discs"

PC gaming doesn't even bat an eye, consoles are still quite immature about that.

I think all games are getting bloated. Niggas got caps on their internet now this ain't the wild west days of @home anymore.

I'm sure it's just a weird coincidence that all the annoyingly chatty people in all my classes happen to be black.

Just once, I like to go to class where its the black people sitting in the front, interacting with the teacher, paying attention, making As and high Bs on the test, while the white people are in the back chatting away, playing on their phones, ask the teacher to repeat that, getting Ds and shit.

Just once would be nice.

We is our own worst enemy

What do you mean "not accept"?

As in "well that's certainly the truth of the current scenario but I don't think the reasons you outlined are the cause"

or

"well that's certainly the truth of the current scenario which is a shame because in spite of all you've said I still think the machine is a great value/best value of the three and it's a shame others don't agree with me"

or

"You're wrong, the WiiU is selling 5 millions units a month, Nintendo has made no mistakes and you are straight up lying to our faces"?
The third scenario, unfortunately. I wish it were the second. Legit, the heated conversation came up when I brought up that Smash 4 3DS sold about 700,000 units in two days in the NPD data for September and someone said in response "And people always say that the 3DS and Wii U don't sell." I regret even saying "Welllll...." after that shit lmao...

I'd love the Wii U to do as great as the Wii did, I really did.

People will remember Destiny

although probably not that fondly
This gen is still in its beginnings but I definitely will remember Destiny when looking back at this gen a few years after its over

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Wait, what, I have a tag. Haha this is probably about my OKCupid comment. I can rep this.

Wow that is sad. I'd rather there just be two discs than have to fucking download 20gigs just to play. I don't remember anyone giving a shit when Metal Gear Solid had multiple disks. That was cool, I remember getting to the furnace and it played the game over music scaring the hell out of me, but then it was like "please load disc 2" and I was like "wow I am only just now 50% through, sweet".

FyreWulff

Especially when modern consoles don't actually need you to disc swap anymore, you can just install the content off the other discs permanently and only require a play disc.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I don't understand. Do videogame companies not realize how shit a lot of American's internet actually is? Do they still not understand that a lot of the college students that they target manage to have ridiculously shitty connections, if one at all?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't understand. Do videogame companies not realize how shit a lot of American's internet actually is? Do they still not understand that a lot of the college students that they target manage to have ridiculously shitty connections, if one at all?
I'm guessing no, especially considering Microsoft originally wanted Xbone to have the Always Online stuff going into next gen. With their answer to people questioning it being "we have an offline console, it's called the 360."

SmokyDave

I think for me, MHWilliams described it best. At least his words explain why there is a small disconnect in my mind between Hatred and Hotline Miami. With HM, you are fighting mobsters and most enemies are actively trying to kill you, but several do give up and beg before you take them out in gruesome ways. Is there a purpose to the slaughter? There is a phone call. But really it is just flimsy justification for a mass murder spree, regardless of how guilty your targets are or what your character's motivation is. And yet the excuses are still there.

The bridge too far being that Hatred just lays it out, and then glorifies it in a very realistic way, like...right in your face it portrays things awful as they can possibly be. Perhaps that's why I find it uncomfortable versus something like Hotline Miami. But perhaps these two games aren't so different after all.
Honestly, if it wasn't for the devs appearing to be as shallow as a puddle, I'd think it was some clever meta-commentary (just as Hotline Miami was in some ways). I get what you mean though, there is a difference there, even if it's so small it ought to be insignificant.

Man I fucking love Hotline Miami.
I think all games are getting bloated. Niggas got caps on their internet now this ain't the wild west days of @home anymore.
What's an internet cap? Is it like a du rag or something? Not sure I've ever heard of one of those.

(152Mb broadband with no cap here. Mmm hmm).

Slayven

Honestly, if it wasn't for the devs appearing to be as shallow as a puddle, I'd think it was some clever meta-commentary (just as Hotline Miami was in some ways). I get what you mean though, there is a difference there, even if it's so small it ought to be insignificant.

Man I fucking love Hotline Miami.

What's an internet cap? Is it like a du rag or something? Not sure I've ever heard of one of those ;)

(152Mb broadband with no cap here. Mmm hmm).

I remember when USA was on top of broadband, and you couldn't breath on a modem in the UK without using half the cap.

Trey

Gaming companies are going forward with digital. It's just happening, and there's no going back.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Gaming companies are going forward with digital. It's just happening, and there's no going back.
ISPs are going to have to come down off those golden thrones then, they are just holding things back. Thankfully google fiber coming to my neighborhood early next year.

Jado

Banned
You were probably still in diapers during the napster/winMX days.

He's right tho. We were never even close to the best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Japan
In 2001, SoftBank started a 12 Mbit/s ADSL service. It was a shocking event, because the price was around only 3000 yen (30US$), which was half the cost of other companies.

^Most of us were on 56K, or at best less-than-1Mb DSL at that time, at a much higher price than $30.

Trey

ISPs are going to have to come down off those golden thrones then, they are just holding things back. Thankfully google fiber coming to my neighborhood early next year.

ISPs are figuring they ain't gotta do a damn thing except stay black and die, because they seem to believe the FCC isn't going to nuke their asses. Because that's what it's going to take for ISPs, and telecommunications in general, to stop being run like an agreed upon monopoly.

When internet service becomes a public utility is when the 21st century can truly begin.

Jado

Banned
yup

was rocking broadband no caps over here in 2003. it was like another dimension

Anecdotal, but I also recall Koreans loathing playing Americans in Starcraft around 2000 because of both the latency and our generally slow-ass American ISPs
and because we were so much worse at the game

harSon

Banned

Well, they can either outpace our infrastructure or limit the scope of their platforms to achieve parity.

All my tracks had DJ tags but I was happy with what I had, brehs... Had all the WWF themes before my friends too.

If it means anything, I ended up downloading a virus onto my system from Kazaa. Icons began appearing on my desktop and I never knew where they came from.

"Microsoft Office.exe? I don't remember that."
ooh.png

Slayven

All my tracks had DJ tags but I was happy with what I had, brehs... Had all the WWF themes before my friends too.

If it means anything, I ended up downloading a virus onto my system from Kazaa. Icons began appearing on my desktop and I never knew where they came from.

"Microsoft Office.exe? I don't remember that."
ooh.png

That "No Chance in hell" was rocking though.

Jado

Banned
Anyone remember downloading a popular new song on Morpheus or Limewire and it was just the hook repeating for 5 minutes?

Who went through the trouble of creating these fakes and uploading them? RIAA?

Slayven

Anyone remember downloading a popular new song on Morpheus or Limewire and it was just the hook repeating for 5 minutes?

or have "Dj Funk" or something else fade in and out ever 5 seconds?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

yup. that was one of their tactics. I won't lie, it wasn't a bad ploy.

my sister got got by a Pass the Courvoisier mix like that and thought the whole song was like that. I was like....noooo wtf is this

That "No Chance in hell" was rocking though.
It was, shit definitely wasn't CD Quality but I didn't give any fucks hahaha

This actually happens often with new wrestling themes when the themes aren't released on iTunes/CDs. You'll have the hook repeating and some parts of the song can contain commentary from a recorded show or the crowd making sounds.

Edit: There was also a lot of poorly tagged shit... Tell me how for the longest time I thought Bob Marley did the Bad Boys COPS theme because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom