• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

I sorta figured that much.
I really need them to finish off this "Oh no the students killed her husband!" plot. It's such a boring distraction.

Oh, and the Kermit romance.

Oh, and please kill off Michaela. She's awful.

This show is kinda booty, actually.

Season long plot, fam.

Imm0rt4l

Which he uses because he can't properly plan

Also:

j6f6PqbnM7iMH.png

which reminds me blackgaf.com directs to a locked thread.

Trey

I really need them to finish off this "Oh no the students killed her husband!" plot. It's such a boring distraction.

Oh, and the Kermit romance.

Oh, and please kill off Michaela. She's awful.

This show is kinda booty, actually.

Every single character is terrible. Uninteresting at best. Even the guest of the week clients she represents are one dimensional buffoons.

Infinite

Every single character is terrible. Uninteresting at best. Even the guest of the week clients she represents are one dimensional buffoons.
Show also takes some cues from the Tyler Perry play book of writing. That bullshit with Michaela and her fiancé was so garbage.

I believe that poster has had a few sus posts in there.

It's not as graphic, but it's pretty much the same effect. Watching bodies fly and blood get smeared for entertainment.

No context is better than what the devs thoughtup for that game

In GTA and a lot of other games violence is glorified but at least the context isn't gross murder simulator through and through. You're someone of loose morals trying to achieve a goal of some sort even if it is shallow like to make money. You even snatch up the cash someone drops after you kill em.

This is basically everyone should die while they beg to live because.

akira28

I believe that poster has had a few sus posts in there.

No context is better than what the devs thoughtup for that game

In GTA and a lot of other games violence is glorified but at least the context isn't gross murder simulator through and through. You're someone of loose morals trying to achieve a goal of some sort even if it is shallow like to make money. You even snatch up the cash someone drops after you kill em.

This is basically everyone should die while they beg to live because.

The christian family groups would have loved this post-Columbine. Someone could make millions just by fear-mongering and anger-baiting all the potential violence the game would cause. They could have actually commisioned this cheap piece of game engine student trash for a few thou, and increased their investment by factors of 10.

Lmao that trailer was horrible. The whole tone of it makes it feel like a stuck in the 90s game. I feel like stuff like that was commonplace on the PC pre-columbine

The realistic UE4 animation makes it unsettling though, I dunno how ppl could find fun in it

It's definitely for the suspect ppl

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I thought I was being weak for feeling the way I did the other day but I see now I wasn't the only one overwhelmed and ready to throw in the towel.

All this gamergate insanity has weighed on so many people and just about drove many of us to consider abandoning online gaming communities altogether.

Can't believe it's gotten this bad. But I suppose it has to get worse than it is now before some dramatic change will occur. If only it didn't. Hopefully, violence won't be a factor before the change comes.

Can't you ignore it like most people and play games? I barely recognize it's presence and never really jump into those threads because it's a mess. Not even worth getting stressed over.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
I thought I was being weak for feeling the way I did the other day but I see now I wasn't the only one overwhelmed and ready to throw in the towel.

All this gamergate insanity has weighed on so many people and just about drove many of us to consider abandoning online gaming communities altogether.

Can't believe it's gotten this bad. But I suppose it has to get worse than it is now before some dramatic change will occur. If only it didn't. Hopefully, violence won't be a factor before the change comes.

Girl who you tellin. Shit is...I dunno what to call it.

You know what I don't understand? Why do people cite misogyny as a reason that they avoid gaming side, yet seemingly make the most posts in the threads that are filled with the most misogyny?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You know what I don't understand? Why do people cite misogyny as a reason that they avoid gaming side, yet seemingly make the most posts in the threads that are filled with the most misogyny?

Everyone is apart of the problem but me

I have an excuse

I am the chosen one

Can't you ignore it like most people and play games? I barely recognize it's presence and never really jump into those threads because it's a mess. Not even worth getting stressed over.

Let me say this as someone in the industry: people ignoring this stuff and being apathetic leads to the people who make the games you want to play getting run out of the industry or avoid getting into it all together.

Not gansta

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

I didn't visit any threads (not since that day I was really pissed). Tumblr talks about these things too, you know? It's not so simple to just ignore it when there's people being harassed and the like. I'm sorry but I can't sit around enjoying games when I know all of this is happening. I couldn't pretend all the stuff in Ferguson wasn't going on either. I may be safe myself but I'm not able to be cool as a cucumber when others I identify with are suffering.

Despite all this, I'm not stressed anymore, I'm concerned but my well being isn't at stake. That said, I'm still enjoying games but I'm definitely not gonna pretend everything is fine and dandy when it isn't.

Let me say this as someone in the industry: people ignoring this stuff and being apathetic leads to the people who make the games you want to play getting run out of the industry or avoid getting into it all together.

Not gansta

But the games I want to play aren't getting run out. That's why I'm apathetic generally speaking. It's just honestly not worth arguing with cats online. At least it's not too me

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Is this at me? I rarely go on gaming side save for harmless topics generally but yes, I make a few posts in the threads here and there but definitely not the most.

But the games I want to play aren't getting run out. That's why I'm apathetic generally speaking. It's just honestly not worth arguing with cats online. At least it's not too me

From what I've seen, and I've only been involved for 4 years, I can pretty much guarantee women at all major game companies have to deal with harassment. It may not affect their bottom lines and ship dates, but you definitely have a pool of talent being shrunk constantly.

We the bucket for real?

We're dissuading people from trying to change gaming culture and it's problem with women?

I've been noticing this lately too.

The dude that started #notyourshield bullshit was black and we CONSTANTLY get people in misogyny-related threads saying "as a black man, i don't care."

Empathy is important, even if you don't feel something affects you directly.

Is this at me? I rarely go on gaming side save for harmless topics generally but yes, I make a few posts in the threads here and there but definitely not the most.

In general. I just find it confusing that people say that they avoid gaming side because of misogyny, yet post there when it's the most blatant.

From what I've seen, and I've only been involved for 4 years, I can pretty much guarantee women at all major game companies have to deal with harassment. It may not affect their bottom lines and ship dates, but you definitely have a pool of talent being shrunk constantly.

But what does telling random people online who's heads are too far up their ass when it comes to issues like harassment about themselves do? I have never seen that really be effective. The mess surrounding harassment in gaming definitely isn't helping because no one's opinion right or wrong is really getting heard. It's just mess that needs to die out.

But what does telling random people online who's heads are too far up their ass when it comes to issues like harassment about themselves do? I have never seen that really be effective. The mess surrounding harassment in gaming definitely isn't helping because no one's opinion right or wrong is really getting heard. It's just mess that needs to die out.

That's the thing-it won't die out. This is a chance to get eyes outside of gaming on the situation and get the industry to step its game up. It's not about getting stupid people to change their minds, it's about getting smart people on board.

To your first point: it's usually not about convincing the person acting in the extreme, but convincing the readers who aren't actively posting but are reading the ideas.

Concerning the bolded: you realize what that sounds like right? "Why talk about ___ism? Just leave it alone and let it die out."

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
In general. I just find it confusing that people say that they avoid gaming side because of misogyny, yet post there when it's the most blatant.

Well, it isn't so simple to avoid these things when they are blatant. The problems on gaming side quite often come to reflect in the OT and when issues are prevalent is probably when we all need to step in more than ever.

Also, I'm not about to miss out on any news for my favorite games because misogynists are trolling. Nope, nope, nope.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I feel like this should be added to the bct cycle at some point. :scusthov:

Shit doesn't change by being apathetic, ignoring something that pervades into ones hobby, laughing it off, or dismissing it because dickheads have access to keyboards. Lots of people lurk and read. Maybe reading something that isn't silly as shit, might give them a different perspective. Maybe, someone might have a change of face, whom actually participates. Who knows.

Preaching to a choir doesn't change shit, breh. Sometimes, you do shit, on the slight chance that it might work, or you feel like venting.

Same shit with the isms.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
If you did a cross section of misogynist and racist posts in both Gaming and OT, you'd be sure to get some familiar names.

Exactly. Avoiding one section because of these problems will not protect anyone. There's an Anita thread in OT right now and Gaming side. Case in point~ same posters too.

It's not as graphic, but it's pretty much the same effect. Watching bodies fly and blood get smeared for entertainment.

Pretty much. My theory is people have an issues because it leaves you with no reason to kill, but the act of killing.

If you look at those theories, they all stem from the same core idea: rationalization. These games are completely digital, but there's a certain degree of rationalization at work in personally committing violent acts. We feel empathy for those fictional characters, so we need reasons to ignore those feelings. We're able to rationalize our violent actions in a variety of ways, which makes everything fine. That violence becomes catharsis.

Hatred (the game!) strips that rationalization away, leaving just the violence. It doesn't say, "You did this horrible thing for X reason," it merely lets the act stand alone. And for some people, that's a bridge too far.

To your first point: it's usually not about convincing the person acting in the extreme, but convincing the readers who aren't actively posting but are reading the ideas.

Concerning the bolded: you realize what that sounds like right? "Why talk about ___ism? Just leave it alone and let it die out."

No because it's more than just harassment. People are just throwing everything into the situation that it never really had a point. Or are we talking about two different things here.

Malyse

I've been noticing this lately too.

The dude that started #notyourshield bullshit was black and we CONSTANTLY get people in misogyny-related threads saying "as a black man, i don't care."

Empathy is important, even if you don't feel something affects you directly.

Be that as it may, I totes get the sentiment. Why give a fuck about a world that does give a fuck about you, right?

That being said, I fully disagree with the mentality. Empathy matters and the inverse of the previous question applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom