• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoilers dude c'mon...

image.php

and yeah, its straight up an kinda clumsy action game with horror movie motif. I really enjoy it, but don't go in there expecting something like Silent Hill 2 or RE1. I think I killed more zombies on one particular lategame chapter than the entirety of The Island from RE4, shit gets real.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Something I really liked that you said outside of your review:

Damn

RE4 at the very least it had clear dramatic stakes and character motivations, and a lot of (most of it unintentionally) campy dialog thats still pretty quotable. The big environments that you spend a lot of time in do a lot of the heavy lifting.

With TEW its like...its just one random cool idea for a horror-flavored action game after another. The characters are all stale, there's no real momentum to anything since it just kinda jumps around without really establishing much of anything. You're here, and then you're there, and then some other place just because Ruvik/Mikami wanted to do something else now. Characters appear and disappear randomly. Somebody died and I didn't know until somebody mentioned they were dead later. Its more of a context than a story, really.

I know you're talking about story here, but I think it also applies to settings in games in general. It's something I've had a problem with alot of action games and shooters for a while. Too quick to jump from place to place, from set piece to set piece instead of developing a single setting and getting the most out of it.

That's why RE4 I feel is a much stronger game than 5 and 6 despite all the mechanical improvements.

I think setting is an important part of many games that's often overlooked, but in Horror games in particular it is as important to the game as the characters and needs to be developed as such. I don't think horror games work at all when you're hopping to different places around the planet during the game

If you do jump around there at least needs to be some sort of logical and discernible sense of progression(MGS3, Bayonetta etc), but man it feels like video games have been regressing back to levels and zones or some shit when it comes to some major releases.

Its like the mansion in RE1 or the police station in RE2 or the castle in RE4. You spend so much time there, looking at maps and getting keys and backtracking through the area to unlock a door to a new part of the game, I think you get more immersed in those places as actual worlds that exist, and there's not just cool ideas for set pieces strung together.

Even in a more action heavy game, like Half-Life 2, there are these lengthy "transition" periods in-between say, the haunted house zombie-infested Ravenholm and the brightly lit Highway 17 chapters. You got to through the mines with all the headcrabs, then use some traps to escape the zombies and head for the light at the end of the tunnel, then you slowly work your way through some Combine snipers before you even get to the rebels who give you the car. If this was the Evil Within, as soon as you were done with that climax in the graveyard, the scene would have just SHIFTED immediately to another environment. In that game, you'll be in a sewer one second, Ruvik suddenly, and then you're in a mental hospital. It keeps you off-balance and lets you easily do all the cool level ideas you had, but it does fuck all for world-building or making your enviroments seem like tangible places.

edit: YouTube link of Half-Life 2 transition. Valve builds up to the big climax with Father Girorgio in the graveyard, then slowly eases you out of that world and its traps and such into the next one. They even use the zombies both as a tutorial to show you how the snipers work(watch out for the blue lasers!) AND as a world-building narrative excuse for why snipers are outpost here(to keep zombies from Ravenholm from entering into the city). It makes these chapters feel more organic, flowing together, instead of just old school action game levels where you're in Paris for stage 1, then Japan for stage 2 or whatever.

Infinite

With Warner Bros. announcing and dating their comic book movies how do you guys feel about this cinematic universe fad that's going on in Hollywood now? Personally I think things are better served as TV shows. Cinematic universes in a way are kill joys. Like, if I go to see the Batman vs Superman movie knowing that the justice league movie is coming out and knowing that this movie is setting that one up, then I'll forget about the movie I just watched in favor of the movie it is proceeding. I had this problem with the first Thor movie because it felt like an extended teaser for the avengers. Even the Avengers and GotG feel like teasers for whatever they're planning with Thanos for a future avengers movie.

akira28

Tell me about your dreams.

I dreamt we were in some kind of dystopia cityscape, and there was a bus me and a whole lot of people were waiting to get on. And then I saw this shivering green puppy, and I picked it up and cradled it in my arms to warm it up. As it warmed up it slowly turned more of a reddish brown color, like some kind of progress bar. I understood once it was fully red, it would become a member of my party (and I had the impression that having a dog-member would be useful). Then I got on the bus, and saw an ex girlfriend sitting next to someone, and asked her if the seat in front of her was taken.

Then I guess we all headed off to perdition. I woke up sort of wanting a dog.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Something I really liked that you said outside of your review:

I know you're talking about story here, but I think it also applies to settings in games in general. It's something I've had a problem with alot of action games and shooters for a while. Too quick to jump from place to place, from set piece to set piece instead of developing a single setting and getting the most out of it.

That's why RE4 I feel is a much stronger game than 5 and 6 despite all the mechanical improvements.

I think setting is an important part of many games that's often overlooked, but in Horror games in particular it is as important to the game as the characters and needs to be developed as such. I don't think horror games work at all when you're hopping to different places around the planet during the game

If you do jump around there at least needs to be some sort of logical and discernible sense of progression(MGS3, Bayonetta etc), but man it feels like video games have been regressing back to levels and zones or some shit when it comes to some major releases.

But RE4 did take you from place to place. Maybe not to the extent as 6 did but it isn't much different than 5 or 6. In RE2 and the other early games, even if you traveled around to different locations, you still found yourself returning to the place where it all began. The only action RE that was consistent in that aspect was Revelations. Outside of the other branch scenarios, you often return to familiar locations even after journeying away for awhile.

However, I absolutely agree with you. I prefer a single location being the center of attention as well.

The Evil Within is a stealth action game that's trying desperately to tell me it's a survival horror game. I was never particularly sold on the horror vibe in F.E.A.R. and I generally feel the same way about the Evil Within. And Mikami and crew tried to hit every horror trope and game mechanic possible, so the game comes across as unfocused.

It's decent, but I'd say it's not worth $60. Say... $30-40?

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
The Evil Within is a stealth action game that's trying desperately to tell me it's a survival horror game. I was never particularly sold on the horror vibe in F.E.A.R. and I generally feel the same way about the Evil Within. And Mikami and crew tried to hit every horror trope and game mechanic possible, so the game comes across as unfocused.

It's decent, but I'd say it's not worth $60. Say... $30-40?

Sounds like RE6 without the flexible mechanics.

I'm not too big on stealth in horror games either.

Well, if the great Mikami couldn't do it, that leaves us with Kojima. So... will Silent Hills deliver? I get good vibes about it.

F.E.A.R. is a good reference, cept that game had the opposite problem of spending so much time in that boring office building with 4 enemy types, you can count down the seconds for the next "scary" moment to show up

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Eh never liked One Piece, but it's crazy how long the shit has been going. Now that Claymore is done the only other manga I read now is Black Lagoon.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I used to like One Piece alot, but it hasn't been the same series post skip I feel. So I stopped following it

Well, if the great Mikami couldn't do it, that leaves us with Kojima. So... will Silent Hills deliver? I get good vibes about it.

Never gonna learn bruh

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
But he looks like he's learned stealth in MGSV! If he can bring that over to Silent Hills... I have dreams, people.

I hope he doesn't put stealth in Silent Hills. Ugh. I can't imagine using stealth take downs on the demon monstrosities that are Silent Hill creatures.

Also, there's supposed to be a penalty for killing monsters in Silent Hill games isn't there? I've only played the first one and it wasn't there but apparently it is in SH2.

Either way, Silent Hill is very different from other horror games with Siren understandably being the only entity of similar design. Stealth and action could never fly in Silent Hill universe unlike RE which always has explosions, high powered firearms, etc. So, I hope he keeps Silent Hills as demented, dour and slow paced as it's always been.

Furyous

Tell me about your dreams.

There are three families in this dream: two rich ones and a young woman raising her brother while going to school. Everyone in this city are holding up in their homes trying to stay safe to get over the calamity. The calamity is either a natural disaster or some terrorists. In any event, the poor woman raising her child tells the two families that she'll do the mission if they raise her brother as part of their families. They agree and the three women depart to end the conflict. The families argue over who gets the bed while the kid wraps his coat over his head and tries to sleep standing up.

I feel asleep listening to breakfast club interviews so I'm shocked the dream went this way. Alpha Brain is no joke. It works wonderfully.

Village

Eh maybe.

I'm worried about Mgs5 though or the future of metal gear rather

Speaking of games tangentially related to horror i hope re7 is just re6 with better level design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom