• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Banned
Such trashy opinions.

Jk, but care to share why you think it's going to be bad (or why you don't like it?)

Kojima's vision of what a SH game could entail to be is of course different from the original creators, and Del Toro who is a noted fan of SH has a very different (almost obtuse) sense of art direction in comparison to the original artist (in fact it almost comes off as amateurish when comparing his art to the original--whose name escapes me.).

added that Konami has been treating that IP like shit since last gen and I'm just...pessimistic towards it. I don't like it. I didn't like PT.

Basically i feel it's going to be so 'different' from SH because of what I see/know from Kojima/Del Toro. Also Konamis burned me too many times. Not buying shit from those guys.

Then again, my fav SH game is The Room so maybe I'm not the best person to speak on this.

Infinite

Kojima's vision of what a SH game could entail to be is of course different from the original creators, and Del Toro who is a noted fan of SH has a very different (almost obtuse) sense of art direction in comparison to the original artist (in fact it almost comes off as amateurish when comparing his art to the original--whose name escapes me.).

added that Konami has been treating that IP like shit since last gen and I'm just...pessimistic towards it. I don't like it. I didn't like PT.

Basically i feel it's going to be so 'different' from SH because of what I see/know from Kojima/Del Toro. Also Konamis burned me too many times. Not buying shit from those guys.

Then again, my fav SH game is The Room so maybe I'm not the best person to speak on this.

What do they even make for anyone to buy?

I have high hopes for Silent Hills.

The only truly bad thing about the OG games was the wonked controls and modern SH games didn't know how to add combat that was fun or true to the 'you're better off running" base of SH of old without it feeling like a shallow experience.

PT nailed the creepy morbid dialogue stuff like the radio reports and ending monologue about the father murdering his family.

I just really don't want PT to be what Silent Hills is. Not down for a 1st person jump scare rollercoaster.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Silent Hill should stay in first person perspective, imo.

I wouldn't mind an option for both. But we have a lot of first person horror games and Silent Hill could benefit from tp or fp depends on the delivery though.

Eh maybe.

I'm worried about Mgs5 though or the future of metal gear rather

Speaking of games tangentially related to horror i hope re7 is just re6 with better level design.

OMG please. I need that.

I understand your concern but it can't hurt to let him give it a shot. After PT, I do think he has an idea of the twisted sick shit that makes the series so fascinating, creepy and gross haha

If the game turns out different, it may be done so in a manner that still gives the series love. I honestly see very little difference between the tone of PT and say Shattered Memories, another Silent Hill without combat but still very immersive and disturbing (going by PT alone being a big puzzle). We still don't know what Silent Hills will be like but Kojima wants to scare the shit out of us while still presenting a potentially fucked up background story.

There's something reminiscent of Silent Hill 2 there. Can't place it tho.

I have high hopes for Silent Hills.

The only truly bad thing about the OG games was the wonked controls and modern SH games didn't know how to add combat that was fun or true to the 'you're better off running" base of SH of old without it feeling like a shallow experience.

PT nailed the creepy morbid dialogue stuff like the radio reports and ending monologue about the father murdering his family.

Agreed. I think there's so much potential here. There's so much that rings familiar to the old games without being superficial. We will know more in the future but I gotta give anyone who tries Silent Hill respect because that series is really not a joke. It takes a lot to grasp such a truly demented series and pull it off.

I just really don't want PT to be what Silent Hills is. Not down for a 1st person jump scare rollercoaster.

That's what I fear. I wouldn't mind either POV, but I worry about fps. Then again, I was concerned Alien would suffer from this but the impressions I've gotten from fans of the genre have given nothing but praise. Maybe it wouldn't break Silent Hills after all, but if given an option, I'd go with third person.

Slayven

Cheque must have cleared.

i5exu6tS7OhOe.jpg

Really don't understand why you'd say that. Previous SH did fine with 3rd person and I think if it's character driven it's easier to connect with a character you see rather than one you're just sharing a POV with.

because i didn't like the Silent Hills before it, not saying they aren't good or bad just that i didn't like them.

Village

OMG please. I need that.

RE6 the king of This is good, but the framework for which it needs to be active is bad

Re7 needs this,
-better level design. Gameplay in re6 good, level design butt
-Better plot. Characters I liked, overarching story butt. Like have a thing happen and be meaningful and not everything be spy stuff
-Let me use the alts in the story mods with out requiring using mods, also let me unlock all the alts in the game with out requiring me to go to your dumb ass website and do challenges and shit
And the last thing RE7 needs is Keith and Quint, they made Rza a Re character

Also this just need to be keth's regular outfit
I need them dudes in every resident evil, I would watch a 90's nickolodeon sitcom with a hip hop intro with them in it.

Mortemis

Banned
Hate this getting dark earlier and earlier crap.

Gonna be worse once Daylight Savings hits too.

Dark at 4 pm.

Gross.

Back in high school, whenever I had sports or clubs after school in the winter, I'd be basically going to school when its dark and coming home when its dark.

Gross indeed.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
If RE7 goes down the multi-campaign route again, I hope they have one similar to Ada's, with the exception of you trying to get around zombies or some shit. The stealth system in RE 6 was so underutilized. They should steal some of the design philosophies in TEW, because, lord knows the bottle to the face, run up, get an insta-kill shit would fit right in.

If RE7 goes down the multi-campaign route again, I hope they have one similar to Ada's, with the exception of you trying to get around zombies or some shit. The stealth system in RE 6 was so underutilized. They should steal some of the design philosophies in TEW, because, lord knows the bottle to the face, run up, crouch, position yourself right in front of them, cross your fingers the contextual action button prompt shows up, get an insta-kill shit would fit right in.

fixed for my experience

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Fuck stealth in RE, if you can't headshot you deserve to die.

stealth in re is foreign to me. hell non tank controls in re is foreign to me. nothing like dropping in a sewer to see a gigantic spider sitting there waiting for you, only for you to turn around and go back like you approached the wrong house when visiting a friend for the first time

Village

You actually worried about MGSV?

You must've didn't like Ground Zeroes....
Aside from some of the darker story elements, I liked it. Just I don't know where they go after this. Like what is mgs6 hypothetically. I don't want a boss game I don't wanna go back that far, and solid snake is kind of dead. I dunno I just hope this doesn't end up my last mgs by choice

Aside from some of the darker story elements, I liked it. Just I don't know where they go after this. Like what is mgs6 hypothetically. I don't want a boss game I don't wanna go back that far, and solid snake is kind of dead. I dunno I just hope this doesn't end up my last mgs by choice

Pontential MG1/MG2 remake? Adventures with Liquid? Idk that is vexing.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
1 holds up really well for for a ps1 game (better than the resident evil games too)

2 is one of the GOATs, 3 is damn good. Should play 'em

I thought so too. I played 1 last month and was surprised how easily I could play it. Manual dodge, melee weapons, non-fixed camera ~ things that it took all the way until RE4 to get fixed in the RE series (and the manual dodge didn't show up until RE6...) yet was present in the very first SH.

I'm getting 2 and 3 within the next week. Can't wait to play them.

RedSwirl

They just need to not force co-op in to RE. If you're gonna have multiple campaigns, at least make one of them designed around singleplayer.

They just need to not force co-op in to RE. If you're gonna have multiple campaigns, at least make one of them designed around singleplayer.

This, good god, this. Hate multiplayer in RE. Either you're fucked because the computer is useless or your playing with another player and suddenly you're the thing to be feared.

With RE6, it kinda felt like they didn't have one coherent vision, so they took all their ideas, put them in in this big-ass cannon, fired them out, and the splatter that ended up on the wall was named Resident Evil 6. Cover and dodge systems, QTEs, big action, stealth sections, lot of contexual melee, there was a RE3 Nemesis big bad in Jake's campaign, Leon had RE2 Raccoon city-gun shop-train-a million different final boss fights, Ada was solving puzzles and running out of ammo. And its all co-op, or sometimes people invade your game as monsters, and look at this new skill shop thing, and it goes on for like 20+ hours.

Like, clearly they had a shitload of money and UbiSoft-size production team, but not the right people in place to make it all fit together. Like, nobody stopped to nice they never really explained the controls after its awful excuse for a tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom