• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Season 5 has been consistently good so far.

The problem the show has is the fact that its had inconsistent writers like its a comic(go figure) season to season. That's why Season 3 felt breakneck compared to 2 and why Season 4 was a character study pretty much since it written by the same guy who wrote the Season 3 episode.

I was burnt out by Season 4 thanks to Arrow's better pacing but Season 5 looks really good.

harSon

Banned
Once the Europeans gained knowledge of zombie lore, they completely erased all the roots related to Haiti and Africa. We have how many mediums that focus on zombies in this age and how many of those pay tribute to that. Zombies in the original mythos are nothing like how they're portrayed in film, tv, and video games.

Watch The Serpent and the Rainbow

So I went to Boston Globe to read that guy's article and I ran into this:

BACK IN MARCH 2007, David Ehrenstein wrote in the Los Angeles Times: “Like a comic-book superhero, Obama is there to help, out of the sheer goodness of a heart we need not know or understand. For as with all Magic Negroes, the less real he seems, the more desirable he becomes. If he were real, white America couldn’t project all its fantasies of curative black benevolence on him.” A new study suggests it’s not just Obama; in general, white people are more likely to think of black people as magical and mysterious. In a series of experiments, psychologists show that white people were quicker to associate superhuman words (ghost, paranormal, spirit, wizard, supernatural, magic, and mystical) with black faces relative to white faces. Also, when explicitly asked, white people indicated that a black person was more capable of possessing superhuman qualities—and would need less medication to alleviate pain—than a white person.

 Waytz, A. et al., “A Superhumanization Bias in Whites’ Perceptions of Blacks,” Social Psychological and Personality Science (forthcoming).

Here's a PDF of the study. Now you know the fear of twitch fibers and aggressive step is real.

Drawing on sociology, anthropology, and mass media studies (e.g., Harris-Lacewell, 2001; Hicks, 2003; Scott, 2006), we define superhumanization as the representation of others as possessing mental and physical qualities that are supernatural (transcending the laws of nature), extrasensory transcending the bounds of normal human perception), and magical (influencing or manipulating the natural world through symbolic or ritualistic means). Thus, superhumanization involves representing others as nonhuman, but not as subhuman animals or objects—superhumanization implies characterization of others as beyond human.

Thus, if people see Blacks as superhuman, they may perceive them as moral agents, also leading them to perceive Blacks as less capable than Whites of feeling pain. This is important because failure to recognize someone else’s pain likely reduces empathy and justifies withholding aid when aid is needed.

We focused on Whites’ superhumanization of Blacks because of suggestive historical, anecdotal, and quantitative empirical evidence that such a bias exists, but it is possible that this bias is not specific to White perceivers or Black targets. For example, whereas superhumanization of Blacks might focus on physical attributes (as in Study 4) related to the stereotype of African-American athleticism (Devine & Elliot, 1995), superhumanization of Asians might center on enhanced intelligence consistent with stereotypes of Chinese and Japanese (Madon, Guyll et al., 2001). We welcome future research on this topic.

Superhumanization of Blacks might also explain why people consider Black juveniles to be more “adult” than White juveniles when judging culpability (Rattan, Levine, Dweck, & Eberhardt, 2012); perhaps people attribute enhanced agency to Blacks thereby judging them more culpable than Whites for their actions (Gray et al., 2007). Relatedly, superhumanization of Blacks may contribute to Whites’ tolerance for police brutality against Blacks (Goff et al., 2008); perhaps people assume that Blacks possess extra (i.e., superhuman) strength enables them to endure violence more easily than other humans.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Brock has to one of those fathers, I mean c'mon now

Brock is the real reason behind those positives:

O2HErdi.png

ggN5KW2.jpg

DominoKid

Walking Dead is that shit. I didn't really fuck with it at first and I dropped it at the beginning of S2. Started it back over randomly and it's got me hooked. I'm so glad Netflix finally got S4

G-Fex

I don't see what's wrong with not liking RE4. Everyone holds it in godlike status but I think it's just boring. So much so it doesn't warrant a replay, new game+ is essentially worthless.

I'd be surprised as hell if he's really writing those things
I don't think a lot of those celebrities are actually writing their books. They probably just talk to a big publisher (which wouldn't be possible for people like us) and they get a writer and editor to listen to the ideas he wants to present in it and they do all the hard work.

You really think Morgan's coming back?

They already showed a Marvel-Style end credit clip of him back in the Wilds where Rick and Co. left off in Episode 1

Nothing wrong with people not liking RE4 its just that most of the backlash comes off as "Its popular so it sucks." Same thing with people who dislike FFVII, Mario 64, Half-Life, Any Metal Gear Solid other than 2, TLOU, etc etc.

I think if a game is as influential and lauded as RE4 was, there has to be some merit into what people are saying regardless of your opinion.

Malyse

Umm. pray for me. I'm quitting my job tomorrow because it costs more in gas to do it than I make.

Going try to freelance.

-----

Wynnebeck

Banned
Gorillaz what is your opinion on Plastic Beach? These cats in OT are shifting all over it.

Nobody is shitting on Plastic Beach at all. It was a good album, however it got too big for its britches and pulled an Eminem with all the guest collaborations that pulled it away from a normal Gorillaz type sound. I still love quite a few tracks from PB myself.

Nobody is shitting on Plastic Beach at all. It was a good album, however it got too big for its britches and pulled an Eminem with all the guest collaborations that pulled it away from a normal Gorillaz type sound. I still love quite a few tracks from PB myself.

Gorillaz what is your opinion on Plastic Beach? These cats in OT are shifting all over it.

it's not The Fall so it's great despite only 3 great songs and a couple of good ones

I for one am tired of the Steve Harvey hate got damnit!!!! When the Funk Hits the Fan is a classic record, and I tried to keep my fade like his back in the day... Before I found out it was suspect of course but that's beside the point!!! And don't front like his suit game ain't drippin swag sauce everywhere.

*dusts off Steve Harvey show VHS set*

Gorillaz

It's not a Demon Days

Each of there albums is interesting because each one felt like it worked best in that "era" it came out in. Self Titled as best during the early 00s because it fed off of the alt punk/rock band style. Demon Days worked best in 06 because it was a more "alt" hiphop production on a few tracks. Plastic Beach likewise but for pop.Plastic Beach wasn't a "winner" like DD was at first listen. It took a few listens to like it but it still had RE, stylo, and empire ants. Eyes and Empire Ants were probably the best ones on the album. I think Empire Ants live sounds pretty cool with a live orchestra. Alot of PB works best in live orchestras.

edit: Also PB lacked a single as popular as Feel Good Inc.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah someone else compared it to Eminem as well. I just love the album, I recognize maybe I am biased because of that. Demon Days and self titled are still amazing to me as well, just something special about PB maybe nostalgia for the time when I first heard it.
It's not a Demon Days

Each of there albums is interesting because each one felt like it worked best in that "era" it came out in. Self Titled as best during the early 00s because it fed off of the alt punk/rock band style. Demon Days worked best in 06 because it was a more "alt" hiphop production on a few tracks. Plastic Beach likewise but for pop.

Plastic Beach wasn't a "winner" like DD was at first listen. It took a few listens to like it but it still had RE, stylo, and empire ants. Eyes and Empire Ants were probably the best ones on the album. I think Empire Ants live sounds pretty cool with a live orchestra. Alot of PB works best in live orchestras.
This makes a lot of sense. And I can sort of feel what people are saying for the collaborations to such an extent sort of taking away from the body of the album. Empire Ants is probably my favorite song on the album. The build up and break down is just too good.

Never got the Steve Harvey hate myself besides the cooning incidents here and there.

Only reason the guy(or his publishers) wrote the book was due to people liking his advice on his radio show. Mainly the black audience since that is obviously who its targeted to.

Seem like a different form of Oprah, Tyler Perry, etc.

plastic beach was great. the intro track kind of confirmed that i want snoop dogg to be my guide in heaven.

liked white flag, rhinestone eyes, the song with that synth band with the asian singer and uhh melancholy hill

oh shit and the song with lou reed too.

Infinite

Never got the Steve Harvey hate myself besides the cooning incidents here and there.

Only reason the guy(or his publishers) wrote the book was due to people liking his advice on his radio show. Mainly the black audience since that is obviously who its targeted to.

Seem like a different form of Oprah, Tyler Perry, etc.

He gives terrible relationship advice.

strobogo

Banned
against my better judgement i'm going to start watching Orange is the new Black, on episode 1

That show is dog shit. House of Cards is usually pretty good, but falls hard into the stupid fuckery far too often. Lillyhammer is generally just not that interesting, sadly. It makes me worry about the Nextflix/Marvel stuff.

Akainu

I don't see what's wrong with not liking RE4. Everyone holds it in godlike status but I think it's just boring. So much so it doesn't warrant a replay, new game+ is essentially worthless.
it only gets good when you get the typewriter then you can play it like the gallery shooter it is. even then it meh.

Trey

I really don't think any of the advice is good or bad in his case. They just subscribe to black christian morals and play into gender roles. If you fit in those categories, its typically good advice.

"You want to bang him but wait an arbitrary three months so he can prove he likes you for the right reasons" is terrible advice no matter your religious purview.

So far the only show hyped on Adult Swim that's living up to its season is Black Dynamite. I'm dying laughing.

And that Walking Dead was alright......

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Nothing is wrong with not liking something.

You watched him play TEW. Had that been a reviewer or some random, they would have been calling for a resignation. I watched AngryJoe play it and be utter ass, but could separate when he was fucking up from when something bothered him about the game. Not, *takes two steps and dies*, "this is horrible game design".

Azure J

m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=915352

I hope they can relate

Had to jump over here and hope that it got brought up. Didn't realize I was so late though. To be honest, this is one of those dream projects I'd love to contribute to just because there's so many ways you could go about it. While I don't have a first hand experience with Brutal Legend to comment directly on the idea of switching the metal themes with hip hop based tropes/themes, I'm all for more games with a hip hop slant, especially those of NYC/east coast inspiration.

"You want to bang him but wait an arbitrary three months so he can prove he likes you for the right reasons" is terrible advice no matter your religious purview.

Its not really "terrible" advice because I can see why it can be good advice(a lot of dudes just want sex). It just doesn't account for how willing a dude is to hit though. its not bad but its not really good either. Hell the movie slightly subverts that exact waiting period.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised more comedians haven't written self help books considering how many people seem to get their world views from comedy sets to begin with

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

This is true. Okay, you don't wanna sleep with them too fast and wanna take things slow, that's understandable. But what? 3 month wait? For what? You think people ain't capable of faking shit for 3 months? Or you think 3 months is enough time to gauge if it's meant to be? Life doesn't work that way and relationships shouldn't be so systematic. Anyone follows something like that is a red flag imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom