• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
It's basically Tumblr: The Movie. Bad writing, bad acting, no subtlety. Makes me miss vintage Spike Lee.

Subtlety is definitely the first word that comes to mind when someone mentions Spike Lee.*

*Note: I'm from Indiana. Fuck Spike. Fuck da Knicks. Reggie4LIFE. Pacers vs Knicks is still real to me.*

Subtlety is definitely the first word that comes to mind when someone mentions Spike Lee.*

*Note: I'm from Indiana. Fuck Spike. Fuck da Knicks. Reggie4LIFE. Pacers vs Knicks is still real to me.*

I'm from Detroit lol.

Do The Right Thing has quite a bit of subtlety actually, and it's partially why it's one of the most misunderstood films in recent memory.

yooo

Homey or Homie?

I go with "ie" personally.

So, yeah, I want Justin Timberlake and Aguilera to wear black face so badly. I mean, why not? Can't emulate James Brown without Man tanning..how would someone not just mistake you for Elvis? Niggas just need to stop being ignorant about blackface and racism.

Everyone truly hates Mondays..

Jado

Banned
Anyone else feel like they can't even get mad at stuff in that thread anymore? All the typical BS responses... I've seen them all dozens of times arguing on GAF the last few years. Feel numb to it at this stage. I put in my two cents and walked out without arguing with anyone. Anything more tends to feel pointless.

Slayven

Anyone else feel like they can't even get mad at stuff in that thread anymore? All the typical BS responses... I've seen them all dozens of times arguing on GAF the last few years. Feel numb to it at this stage. I put in my two cents and walked out without arguing with anyone. Anything more tends to feel pointless.

pretty much, I have to relearn this every time.

Only been around a year but yeah, I see certain avatars and know what's coming

It's a lot of the same people too like they can't even grasp it any of the previous times these topics are brought up.

harSon

Banned

I'm just annoyed, not surprised, that the next time we'll see a lot of these people in a thread about racism is the next thread about the handful of things in life that don't stack up favorably for white people.

Jado

Banned
pretty much, I have to relearn this every time.

Surprising coming from you. You always seem to have a very laid back attitude to the usual GAF nonsense, like life is too important to get caught up in those tired, long arguments. I've actually been trying to emulate you in that regard.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I don't even go in those threads anymore

Just here to talk about nerdy shit.

J10

Banned
I threw in my two cents and the person I was talking to stopped responding, so I'll take thAt as a win.

The most I expect from race threads is to help maybe 2 people learn something, dismantle some ignorant posts, and see a meltdown from some who JUST CANT TAKE ALL THE DAMN BLACKS AND WOMEN AND GAYS AND SJWARIORZZZZZZZZ cluttering up their beloved Gaf.

Between Gamergate and OT I stay side-eyeing

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Did I miss something?

Why are so many people leading off posts with "I'm a black guy, and I UNCOMMON OPINION THAT WILL MAKE ME EVERYONE'S BLACK FRIEND"?

Is that a thing now?
seen any centipedes?
Nothing yet.

strobogo

Banned
I'm from Detroit lol.

Do The Right Thing has quite a bit of subtlety actually, and it's partially why it's one of the most misunderstood films in recent memory.

Do people in Detroit hate Spike as well?

It's more fun being on an FBI list with friends. I'm there too thanks to me fighting that 1000 year old demon shit.

I'm on it for clicking that link AND reading the Koran. So...I think I'm pretty fucked.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Jesus... get up to this shit today. Welp, better go see if I can add my two cents.

After all this gamergate shit, I'm feeling you. I'm gonna drop a post, see if someone wants to engage in discussion (if it's a decent one that is) and go on about my business.

Woo, my girlfriend's pregnant! I'm excited af, man. Been together for three years. Spent this entire weekend celebrating with friends/family. Life's good.

Awwww! Congratulations! :D

This is what I love to hear in the morning! Wonderful news <3

Infinite

Probably not the greatest idea to engage people who think like that, and I'm talking about the ones who do not argue in good faith, but it's just depressing to realize you have to coexistence with them.

Ah well. Video games doe

Slayven

The little bit of gameplay I did see looks stylish, but sparse. I hope the final version throws more enemies at you.
No bigger cream in an action game then being able to do shit, and not having it to do it on anyone.

Surprising coming from you. You always seem to have a very laid back attitude to the usual GAF nonsense, like life is too important to get caught up in those tired, long arguments. I've actually been trying to emulate you in that regard.
I be slipping sometimes, I need to do better. Folks just not stepping outside their bubbles and I can't fix that.

Malyse

Being called racist is so offensive that you obligated to defend racists from being called racist at all cost.

Bish and Besada doing God's work in that thread.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
There are so many levels of ignorance to that cosplay bullshit. lol.

Is it blackface if she's not crayon color black?
Is it blackface if she's light brown (you know like a tan)?
Is it blackface is she lightens the characters color, so it's more approachable?
Is acknowledging that and continuing to do that anyways, offensive?
Is adjusting the nose to make it wider, and not actually matching the actress' offensive?
Is it offensive, even when not done to purposefully offend?
Is the fact that I can point out 3 other "black actors" and actresses that have done whiteface, a validation for what I'm doing, offensive?
If I agree with that, am I making an ethnicity appear to be a hiveminded creature, instead of single minded human beings?
etc...

What's so hard about not doing it, or at least, understanding why some might have some problems with it, if you do venture forth. Nobody wants to stop anybody's freedom.

I'm curious to see if she'll go the full distance.

There are so many levels of ignorance to that cosplay bullshit. lol.

Is it blackface if she's not crayon color black?
Is it blackface if she's light brown (you know like a tan)?
Is it blackface is she lightens the characters color, so it's more approachable?
Is acknowledging that and continuing to do that anyways, offensive?
Is adjusting the nose to make it wider, and not actually matching the actress' offensive?
Is it offensive, even when not done to purposefully offend?
Is the fact that I can point out 3 other "black actors" and actresses that have done whiteface, a validation for what I'm doing, offensive?
If I agree with that, am I making an ethnicity appear to be a hiveminded creature, instead of single minded human beings?
etc...

What's so hard about not doing it, or at least, understanding why some might have some problems with it, if you do venture forth. Nobody wants to stop anybody's freedom.

I'm curious to see if she'll go the full distance.

Now she has to or she will have "caved in to rampant SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORZ" or some shit

It's 230 am and I got meetings, night all

So I saw Dear White People on Friday. For those who did see it, can we agree that Stacy Dash's new name is Coco?

I really want to see it, but it doesn't even appear to be playing anywhere in the state of MA. Guess I'll watch Birdman instead...

Is there anywhere I can catch it? I found out it's only being shown in a few cities in the US and it's not playing anywhere in my state.

I suggest going to the site and seeing if they are doing the request thing. Else wait for VOD

----

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=915745

Actually, checking the site says it's coming out nationwide on the 24th. Guess I'll wait then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom