• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
Most of the Gary, Indiana serial killer thread is jokes and confusion over a black serial killer. Not that..you know, a dude has killed up to 7 women.

Black serial killer killing black women...in Gary. Never could have imagined that would be so confusing to people.

AfroMW

RDJ in Tropic Thunder
Wayans brothers in White Chicks
White people portraying other races in film and television
It's definitely not offensive to anyone in anyway and if you are offended you're a baby
cosplayers painting themselves red or green to match a character
the websters definition of racism and blackface.
International celebrations involving 'friendly blackface'
World is not The US
It might be racist/offensive but I don't care
It wasn't intentional, therefore ok
If there's no hate speech or burning cross, there's no racism

Blackface Bingo time.

These two got me the most

q01SPxk.png

I also now know cosplay is heavier than life

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk, cosplay subculture is usually pretty fuckin racist at its base level as well. Tons of "you shouldn't cosplay someone who isn't your skin color because you can't do it justice" - lots of shaming people, especially black folks, because they're "a black Sora" or "a black Princess Whatever The Fuck" etc. It's shitty and cosplay as a whole needs to grow the fuck up.

Most of the Gary, Indiana serial killer thread is jokes and confusion over a black serial killer. Not that..you know, a dude has killed up to 7 women.

Chappelle had a joke about this years ago...I'm starting to learn as I grow older and more aware (Chappelle Show was when I was in middle school and his standups were even earlier) that his jokes contain more truths than I initially realized

Kreed

There needs to be a Chrome/Firefox add on that auto blocks posts containing the letters "SJW" or any variants that you can turn on and off while reading threads.

John Grisham killed me with that "White guys are in prision and that is wrong" speech

And he only cared because a friend of his got arrested.

Though I'm thinking someone should search Grisham's webbrowser history. Might find something interesting.

I looked in that Michonne blackface thread and just walked out backwards doing the robot like Tracy in 30 Rock. Nope nope nope nope. I don't have time for that ignorance.

RDJ in Tropic Thunder
Wayans brothers in White Chicks
White people portraying other races in film and television
It's definitely not offensive to anyone in anyway and if you are offended you're a baby
cosplayers painting themselves red or green to match a character
the websters definition of racism and blackface.
International celebrations involving 'friendly blackface'
World is not The US
It might be racist/offensive but I don't care
It wasn't intentional, therefore ok
If there's no hate speech or burning cross, there's no racism

Blackface Bingo time.

I'm sitting with a nice glass of red w
h
ine, reminding myself that some folks just don't give a fuck, no matter how sincere you are. Does wine go with Chilli?
Who gives a fuck..

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Michonne thread is slowing up a bit. I do grow annoyed by the ones who freak out whenever racist or racism is mentioned. The word scares the shit out of people, understandably so, but damn can we discuss the difference between a racist act and actual racists/racism before throwing about "omg everything is racist now and everyone's a racist!"?

RP912

Banned
Sighs what a day. Came home from graveyard shift to be greeted by the neighbors rottweiler in the yard. So I couldn't go to sleep until the catcher give it back to the neighbor. Wake up to agonizing pain all over and a Blackface thread which there is a DEFENSE :/. *hits alarm clock*

AfroMW

Michonne thread is slowing up a bit. I do grow annoyed by the ones who freak out whenever racist or racism is mentioned. The word scares the shit out of people, understandably so, but damn can we discuss the difference between a racist act and actual racists/racism before throwing about "omg everything is racist now and everyone's a racist!"?

Will it include excerpts from the lauded Webster's Dictionary?

Because you know its basically set in stone and never out of date in any form whatsoever

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
And... locked.

Tbh, I'm glad. Too many people don't have the patience to discuss these things civilly without being obtuse as hell.

Now I can get back to trying to figure out this damn Tekken Revolution...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe racist is thrown around casually because racism is thrown around casually

Take a look around this motherfucker

Labor bro...

Only 4 days until Bayonetta man

Don't be like this

ReiGun

It's only racism when you're burning crosses in a POC's lawn. Everything else is filed under "ignorance".
"But they didn't really mean any harm tho. You guys are just sensitive."

I would ask does someone have to die for people to acknowledge racism, but we've seen even that isn't enough.

Village

Sorry to detract from you never ending battle against racists on gaf, but there is an experience I would like to share

I was playing DCUO with one of the dudes I regularly play with, and he mentions his son getting on, I was curious didn't know he was a dad and his son is old enough to play games So I asked him how old he was. Turns out the dude is like 64 and his son is like 34, and his grand kids even play. I thought that was kind of sick ya know, I never really had much experience with older family members playing games with me, my parents along with being generally terrible people didn't have much interest in games, well my dad played madden I guess. I played Mario and Megaman games with my aunt, this is before she was also a horrible human being, I still cherish the moments when I didn't know of her crimes against humanity ( you might be like that's a stretch, no its not ). And i used to play tekken with my grandpa before he died of a surgical mishap, I kinda wish he was still around so I can show him where tekken has come. He also played street fighter and stuff.

Black gaf, do you have any experiences playing video games with older members of your family, aunts, grandparents maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom