• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Still not sure if I'm feeling fka or not.

Fake edit : It's that blank stare thing she does that I find annoying.

Age of extinction was fucking stupid. It was only entertaining cause I'm tipsy. I really can't take Marky Mark seriously at all.

Lockdown, Hound and Crosshair were the only entertaining shit.

J10

Banned
It has some good things going for it - Wahlberg, Tucci, and Grammer, Lockdown makes a decent villain - but Michael Bay continues to lack basic story telling ability.

I mostly liked that Megatron keeps finding ways to fuck with people from the grave. Dude can't be stopped for shit.

Megatron turned into Dr. Claw at the end of the movie with his curses foiled again speech and walking off into the wilderness. I'm sorry I meant Galvatron.

I will say if there was a black version of MST3K or if my boys were over and we were tipsy the movie would be SUPEr entertainment. I could clown the fuck out of it.

BCT's favorite new Natural Hair songstress, FKA Twigs, is really reppin' Google Glass in her new video #ThroughGlass.

Ok, the Google Glass stanning is a bit cheesy...but she makes up for it by working some SERIOUS choreography. #WERK

icYtynxZx6yvb.gif

royalan

Not at all, love Twigs. But twigs is about as much a Neo soul artist as Charles Manson is a Black Panther and black activist.

I don't know...

I agree that NeoSoul is was you typically when someone says something like "Natural Hair Music".

But this new trippy R&B movement is giving me natural hair vibes too...

strobogo

Banned
Best part about Transformers 4:

They make a point to tell you the daughter is underaged, but still do all the "sexy" lingering ass shots and tiny shorts, and even a statutory rape joke. And then while they're on the run she gets a whole new wardrobe and pink highlights in her hair.

I don't know...

I agree that NeoSoul is was you typically when someone says something like "Natural Hair Music".

But this new trippy R&B movement is giving me natural hair vibes too...

Honestly the only artist I think fits that gray area between the two is Jhene because of her beat selection. She sticks to the more NeoSoul-ish beats, while FKA and Tinashe to a lesser extent experiment much more with trippy beats and tempo changes mid song. Anecdotal evidence ahead but many of my female friends who blast nothing but Dwele, Musiq, Amel Larrieux and others play alot of Jhene, not much of Tinashe and don't really mess with FKA, they find her too weird...a shame.

Malyse

Honestly the only artist I think fits that gray area between the two is Jhene because of her beat selection. She sticks to the more NeoSoul-ish beats, while FKA and Tinashe to a lesser extent experiment much more with trippy beats and tempo changes mid song. Anecdotal evidence ahead but many of my female friends who blast nothing but Dwele, Musiq, Amel Larrieux and others play alot of Jhene, not much of Tinashe and don't really mess with FKA, they find her too weird...a shame.
I haven't heard Musiq since I was in the service.

Infinite

I would say fka twigs sound has a neosoul lineage but it's a bit more progressive and experimental then what we consider to be apart of that genre. Some of her songs, to me, has more in common with Grimes music than other neosoul artists. It's definitely trippy, ambient, and abstract. I just think it's a natural progression from neosoul. I also think Sza's sounds and hers also has similarities but Sza's is a bit more "poppy" for a lack of a better expression. The listener base kinda overlaps too.

I would say fka twigs sound has a neosoul lineage but it's a bit more progressive and experimental then what we consider to be apart of that genre. Some of her songs, to me, has more in common with Grimes music than other neosoul artists. It's definitely trippy, ambient, and abstract. I just think it's a natural progression from neosoul. I also think Sza's sounds and hers also has similarities but Sza's is a bit more "poppy" for a lack of a better expression. The listener base kinda overlaps too.

I dunno, I think SZA is pretty much a NeoSoul artist. Her shit won't get spins on any radio. Not even Babylon gets much spin because many people say it's too "hippy" (many people call NeoSoul black hippy music...I've never understood that. I mean there is some REALLY hippy shit out there that makes Neo Soul sound like fucking gangster rap).

I don't really see a ton of similarity between SZA and FKA at all to be honest.

Malyse

They MAD AS SHIT in that post about unruly thugs. DemiDrop did a damn good job with that post.

A. You did a fabulous post too.
B. I'm unexpectedly okay with being called Demi. It would help differentiate between myself and Dreams-Vision.

Please call me Demi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom