• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
people do that and DY will grill you on that shit too

we just cant do nothing right no more
The vast majority of yal suck at it and are more than content to watch someone else argue on your behalf.

Act like Bish hasn't said the same thing.

The vast majority of yal suck at it and are more than content to watch someone else argue on your behalf.

Act like Bish hasn't said the same thing.

yeah, and Bish made a point that he tries to educate anyway instead of falling back on "yall some lames breh"

where your good posts at nigga?

akira28

I'm not great at internet arguments. I'll admit it.
probably getting progressively worse at it as I hang out on neogaf, tbh.

Jado

Banned
Been through that 5 OTs ago.

After seeing the same people do the same shit and more and more good people not come back, shit - it ain't my fault.

Some of us weren't here 5 OTs ago. Some of us are also not propagating year-old jokes. Just say what's on your mind that's bothering you instead of vaguely alluding to it. I honestly have no idea.

DY_nasty

yeah, and Bish made a point that he tries to educate anyway instead of falling back on "yall some lames breh"

where your good posts at nigga?
Don't even start. Himuro and I made the BCT. I was getting hate mail while you were just another MK username.

I get to talk shit.

royalan

This song just came on at work, and I'm getting my life.

I wonder if any of you can ID it from this hint
you don't know shit about R&B if you can't
:

911-0024

Trey

Jado, don't let them get to you. Not worth it; merely acknowledging them is more than they and their brand of posting deserve.

harSon

Banned
Who doesn't know LSG bruh?

Exactly this.

And as I get older, I'm finding it less appealing to argue with somebody I can't even see. I have far better ways of wasting my time.

That shit's time consuming, and there comes a point where you realize you're not changing anyone's outlook on life. You're better off transitioning that effort into something tangible, and infinitely more impactful, outside of an internet forum. I used to go HAM in threads, and damn near write a college thesis within each one, but after years of doing it, I came away asking myself what the hell I had accomplished in the hours per day I spent doing it.

ReiGun

I'm not great at internet arguments. I'll admit it.
probably getting progressively worse at it as I hang out on neogaf, tbh.
I feel like I've gotten better in some respects, at least coming up with counterpoints and communicating. My writing skills trash now, though. :/

DY_nasty

That shit's time consuming, and there comes a point where you realize you're not changing anyone's outlook on life. You're better off transitioning that effort into something tangible, and infinitely more impactful, outside of an internet forum. I used to go HAM in threads, and damn near write a college thesis within each one, but after years of doing it, I came away asking myself what the hell I had accomplished in the hours per day I spent doing it.
You probably understand exactly what I mean then. It takes time - absolutely. And I'm never asking for anyone's time. But when all you do is co-sign, throw out crappy arguments that may or may not have your own side of the debate table looking like wtf, and hide in community thread that's only a 'refuge' after others did the job mods neglected... People can either ignore it - or call it out.

And I'm still irked about the asshattery over someone asking a question while people jumped out of bed to type FUK U, CAC as fast as possible.

It's hardly the first time I've done it too. I'm probably just one of the last people to care.

harSon

Banned
I feel like I've gotten better in some respects, at least coming up with counterpoints and communicating. My writing skills trash now, though. :/

My writing skills are infinitely better than my oratory skills. I write pretty damn well IMO, but when it comes to speaking straight from the dome - things don't come out nearly as well as I would like. If I go into a conversation having prepared, like an interview, speech or meeting, then everything's gravy. Otherwise, it's pretty frustrating, and no amount of practice and/or experience seems to help :(

DY, you wouldn't happen to be referring to the incident Ms. Lilly-White Girl came out of her bubble to the "hood" asking where all the "good brothas" were, are you?

KumaJG

I tend to ignore the people on the internet since it is a place mainly for the vocal minority (trolls/asshole too) to be heard.

Jado

Banned
Jado, don't let them get to you. Not worth it; merely acknowledging them is more than they and their brand of posting deserve.

Dont worry, I'm okay. Just needed to set things straight after they hurt my feelings about being an "unemployed weeaboo" or something.

TK9zjDF.gif

I remember some of your posts too. Feel the same way. I spend less and less time doing this. Except when I'm in a certain mood, it's really not worth it. Most of the time you just need to write a couple of lines, link to article/study that demolishes that person's junk post and move on with your day.

Trey

And I'm still irked about the asshattery over someone asking a question while people jumped out of bed to type FUK U, CAC as fast as possible.

She got the answer she was looking for. Some were rough but overall a constructive argument was given to her.

Jado

Banned
She got the answer she was looking for. Some were rough but overall a constructive argument was given to her.

Agreed. She did get a lot of constructive feedback. Bailing out because of a few people losing their heads is no excuse. There's fuckery to ignore in every GAF thread. And her boy exacerbated the situation by rolling in and acting like every single person was piling on her.

DY_nasty

DY, you wouldn't happen to be referring to the incident Ms. Lilly-White Girl came out of her bubble to the "hood" asking where all the "good brothas" were, are you?
That's one thing - but the biggest facepalms come other threads. People coming back here to post about how mad they are.

And even then, we got people like that for a solid year. Many were much, much more disrespectful and at the least we managed to attempt a conversation. People thinking that dialogue doesn't exist at all aren helping shit.

RedSwirl

Continuing to go into these arguments with those folks on places like GAF in my opinion is just using forums as what they actually are -- virtual argument simulators. Or virtual word combat simulators. Or whatever.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Didn't ol' gurl ask that question about black men early in the morning when some ppl had just gotten off work?

You can imagine how some cats were already out of juice (myself included), so when that question came up shit went sideways quick.

Trey

Didn't ol' gurl ask that question about black men early in the morning when some ppl had just gotten off work?

And on sunday the day of our lord after a week of terrible race threads. She also caught Roy on one, which is bad timing regardless.

I too find it weird how people go into threads just to get upset but it doesn't really bother me when people come back and complain about the meta. Then again, I'm not OG so I don't know how the good ol' days of yore were.

DY_nasty

Continuing to go into these arguments with those folks on places like GAF in my opinion is just using forums as what they actually are -- virtual argument simulators. Or virtual word combat simulators. Or whatever.
People's minds do change though. Of course not everyone. Maybe not even the person you're quoting or arguing with.

When you take it upon yourself to make sure that discussion doesn't take place, it's no longer the other party's fault for disagreeing. If you don't care, cool - don't care. But you don't get to be mad too.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
It would be nice to get some perspectives from the women, during certain discussions -outside of just Ishi and Devo-. I know there is the Girl Gaf thread, but eh. There is definitely overlap when it comes to specific foolishness they have to read and that which we do.

Mortemis

Banned
I'm still a bit confused, but I can kinda see what DY is talking about. I'm still relatively new in this thread, but sometimes we use this thread to say how shitty some posters are in other threads and call them out in here instead of said thread. Not saying we all do it, but I can say I'm guilty of it myself. I guess he's saying don't come here to talk shit and if you wanna talk about it confront them with a good argument in that thread? I can say I'm no good at internet arguments, but I can at least try instead of coming here to laugh or rant about it.

And holy shit @ Jado's post. Never even made the connection with Young Money and Old Money, I feel like an idiot now, lmao.

On the real, I don't really post in serious stuff too much since most of the time everyone is like "lol, old man yells at cloud"

I think DY and I are the same age so I get where he's coming from. Hell he's right down the road from me and whatnot but if you guys want to broach more serious topics I am down with that. I definitely believe in imparting whatever wisdom I have to any of you guys. I'm sure I have a slightly unique perspective since i have kids as old as a lot of you.

Jado

Banned
People's minds do change though. Of course not everyone. Maybe not even the person you're quoting or arguing with.

When you take it upon yourself to make sure that discussion doesn't take place, it's no longer the other party's fault for disagreeing. If you don't care, cool - don't care. But you don't get to be mad too.

I've tried to do my part, but it's an endless onslaught of young, clueless (sometimes deranged) dudes. Like others, I've gotten older and tired of the same routine, have more personal obligations, have less time to fuck around with randoms. If a person is the type to never ever participate in righting wrong mindsets, then your frustration is justified. I say if you don't wanna argue, post threads highlighting specific stories and studies; push your agenda from the get-go and let it run its course without getting into arguments on page 34 of some other thread.

But sometimes, you just wanna point at some fool over there and not bother with a long back and forth. And that's okay too.

DY_nasty

Absolutely none of what I'm saying applies to you, Jado lol.

If however you get tired of people waiting for you to come in and save the day for them, you'll get why a lot of some of the best posters we've had here simply stopped coming around.

I can dedicate only so much of my time to internet flunkies. I'll take a few stabs at a conversation but it's only a matter of time before I start resenting my internet connection.

It'd be nice if community threads weren't the dank basement of GAF but it is what it is.

KumaJG

You shouldn't devote anytime to trolls/internet flunkies. Bad for the health.

How about that Gangbang Granny though...

G Logan Mankins NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jado

Banned

If however you get tired of people waiting for you to come in and save the day for them, you'll get why a lot of some of the best posters we've had here simply stopped coming around.

I understand. I'll admit having moments when I feel like it's me vs. eight guys in a thread and no one from BCT drops in despite being aware of the thread's existence with stuff like "smh dat thread went to shit." What can you do? Can't force anyone to get involved. At best, just link to it here and hope someone decides to chime in at some point. I also wouldn't want anyone to hold expectations of me. I sometimes disappear for days at a time and miss a lot (too much shit gets posted every day which is another reason not to fault people's lack of involvement).

I see this more as a hangout spot with no pressure/obligation to what's happening elsewhere on the site. I hear a lot of trans-gaf just stays the fuck away from trans-related threads and I don't begrudge them for making that decision.

Or it could be that every 5 pages this place turns into anime GAF part deux :3

On a serious note yes some people come here to bitch about other posters to often, but they often are involved in said threads when they come here, as a means of letting off steam to avoid the ban by having a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom