• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I iamgine I will be an old man on a porch rocking a way, until one day I see a young boy run by all excited. And I ask him "You young man what is all the commotion about?"

"They finally did it sir, they finally did it, they released Tekken x Street Fighter".

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I say take the fight to the enemy

Unless you're planning on going to their house to give them a swirly so that they can remember their school days, I don't know how you can really take the fight to that enemy.

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah it was a solid game. It and Dragons Dogma shit on Elderscrolls to me.

From what I've played of DD, it really does. I've come to accept Elder Scrolls games just aren't for me. There has to be something good to make so many cats play this for hours on end, guess it doesn't have anything for me. Always boring every time I try to play.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
love how daddy_DY has increasingly become the ol "y'all aint shit" father figure of BCT. Always so...disappointed in us kids.
We gonna be honest or pretend BCT ain't turn into rocafella records?
I am surprised nobody has made a joke about how he should be taking care of his real kids instead.
Push year old jokes that you were never in on brehs

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
DY c'mon. If it wasn't this it was clowning on Part Time Warrior for sugar in his grits and arguing about Popeyes. My favorite is honestly when people share personal stories and anecdotes about stuff. I prefer that to forum drama, but different strokes and all that. Don't pop on rose tinted glasses just cus the thread got more popular.
From what I've played of DD, it really does. I've come to accept Elder Scrolls games just aren't for me. There has to be something good to make so many cats play this for hours on end, guess it doesn't have anything for me. Always boring every time I try to play.
Great writing goes into the lore and character design, and this goes hand-in-hand with the scene setting and world building being excellent. But that gameplay...that fucking stale, wack-a-mole style combat...nah. Kills it for me.

Jado

Banned
They need entire threads to thoroughly dissect individual throwaway posts in community threads!

"Jado trying way too hard again to wreck us before playing professional victim in a visit to the unemployment office."

Unemployment office! I literally
giphy.gif

when I read that.

I don't go into my personal stuff often, but I'm pulling in six figures this year and more in 2015 after bonus, annual raise and big end of year promotion in the pipeline. These guys have nothing other than juvenile insults. They still haven't denied they're hideous, socially inept, bitter, lonely idiots still leeching off their parents. Maybe they'll comment I make my money being a "fag stripper" or a "faggot prostitute" or "something faggy/weeaboo." That's pretty much all they talk about and fall back on.

Now I know how Louis CK feels in his "cant hurt my feelings" white man/cracker skit!
http://youtu.be/6CmzT4OV-w0?t=2m2s

In all seriousness, it's a waste of time. This is the third subreddit created by/used by the same one or two former GAFers to trash talk GAF in the past couple of months, among multiple other forums that have been made by former GAFers over the years. It's better to just ignore it and keep it moving.

I'm done now. Just wanted to verify I was dealing with dumb children with nothing better to do but call people doodoo heads.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So all jokes aside then, what what you suggest to make the thread better?
Been through that 5 OTs ago.

After seeing the same people do the same shit and more and more good people not come back, shit - it ain't my fault.

Jado

Banned
*turns thread into Destiny Beta chat for a few weeks and leaves*

*comes back and complains about BCT quality going down*

This is some destroy and rebuild shit.

Didn't mind so much, but did feel like I was back on Gaming during all that.

Wow

Didn't realize you cats felt that strongly. I always look at BCT as a refuge. If you feel we falling into the soldier boy phase after the late 90's Pac and Biggie then do us a favor and make a suggestion on the direction. Dy, your name alone carries clout in here. Along with Devo, Satch and quite a few others. Instead of even saying we ain't shit, do something to affect change. If they don't wanna be down, then walk away. We all still family and in the end that's the shit that matters.

Holla at you cats later.

Kreed

Been through that 5 OTs ago.

After seeing the same people do the same shit and more and more good people not come back, shit - it ain't my fault.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the content of the thread, but there needs to be more serious "black" discussion from time to time at the very least. This was the intent of the original thread as a reminder:

What exactly is 'black culture'? I'd like to find out. Whether it's American, Canadian, British, Caribbean, African, whatever. I want to know, dammit. The black experience is not one monolithic culture and that was reflected in the past thread.

Since megathreads aren't allowed anymore, I guess we have cut down to specific topics.

The last thread was specifically focused heavily around being black in general. But a lot of interesting topics came up, such as Veidt's posts about Africa, or the similarities certain venues of American black culture shares with some of British black culture.

I found that was the heart of the thread: finding and meeting black people from around the world and discussing our similarities and differences, and I'd like to continue that, without the chatter. So Spindashing, be careful.

Since we have established that gaf has a booming black community, tell us about yourself. Here's some starters.

- Where you're from
- Where you live
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy
- Do you know your roots?
- Your Age
- Favorite musical genre
- Your profession/major/career interest
- Your religious affiliation
- Hobbies

Since we're on a gaming forum, it could be conclusive that you're more on the geeky side so let's start with a more general question:

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

To reiterate, this thread is not an exclusive club. You can join in whether you're black, white, latino, arabic, asian. Who cares.

If you have any questions about black culture, just ask, but please keep the questions civil, open-minded and respectful. Black people are not one people, have no one dominant culture, or beliefs. It is a diverse experience; let's not lump all dark-skinned folks together, please.

So no "WHY DO BLACK MEN LOVE WHITE WOMAN SO MUCH?" questions, if you will. That's stupid. If you want to bring up interracial relations up as a topic, do so with some fucking class.

This thread has changed a lot in 4 years, with a lot of us regulars having internal BCT jokes/etc... and I think that's a good thing and a good community has been built where we can discuss black issues in addition to things like gaming/manga etc... But when we are chasing people out of the thread who come in here to ask us a question like that poster from a few weeks ago, it's a problem IMO. And it would be nice to get more "outside the US" black experiences, like FreeMufasa's stories.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the content of the thread, but there needs to be more serious "black" discussion from time to time at the very least. This was the intent of the original thread as a reminder:

This thread has changed a lot in 4 years, with a lot of us regulars having internal BCT jokes/etc... and I think that's a good thing and a good community has been built where we can discuss black issues in addition to things like gaming/manga etc... But when we are chasing people out of the thread who come in here to ask us a question like that poster from a few weeks ago, it's a problem IMO. And it would be nice to get more "outside the US" black experiences, like FreeMufasa's stories.

But don't look back to fondly there was plenty of dumb shit going on back then also.

Maybe I should read it more again, but every time I see someone calling out overt misogyny or homophobia they get dogpiled and insulted lmao.

Pretty much just avoid frequenting The Locker Room.

It's funny at first until you realize every single day its the same people talking about the same subjects and going absolutely nowhere with it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
2an4d.png

I... never put the two together. It's like when I finally figured out that Young Money is a callback to "Old Money." So obvious all of a sudden.

same here, I never ever...goddamn

FUCK @ the Young Money revelation too

I think whenever real shit needs to be talked about the thread talks about it. Not too many dissenting opinions to carry the discussion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom