• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jado

Banned

Article already mentions whites being more numerous, so naturally it's easier for whites to go out and meet more of the same just by walking around their environment. But then you get into the segregation of neighborhoods and schools exacerbating this and making it a lot worse than it should be. Where one lives and goes to school is where most friends are made.

The workplace is the other big one. Looking at American cities, most of the jobs are in or near white areas and further away from black neighborhoods. They also tend to hire few black candidates for a number of reasons. So if you're a white dude, all your colleagues and potential network/friends are mostly white. If you're one of the few black employees, you have a sea of white people to get acquainted with... or else bounce.

Black people are taken out of their comfort zones much more often and obligated to mingle with others; always made to be racially aware simply by venturing out into environments where they must conform to white people standards to make a living. Not true at all for whites, which is why nowadays they yammer on about color blindness when they rarely ever have to experience being the lone person of their racial group in an unfamiliar setting. What this token black friend acceptance really translates to is "you guys -- some of you, the good ones, not too many tho -- can come into my space, play by my rules, act like me and follow my examples... because I 'accept you.'"

A fast way for that one black guy to lose some/most of his eight white friends is to talk about racism and other problems that bother him with American culture. Suddenly, things aint so cool anymore.

Who has that many 'friends'. I mean real, I'll come pick you up in the middle of the night, I'll spot you and not record this debit type friend.

I have like 3 or 4 close friends and then like a 6 or 7 more people who'll go catch a movie or go to a party with me. But I'm not outgoing at all.

RedSwirl

I pop into DeutschGAF every now and again and they don't spend all their time talking about the German language. Really just general shit, though about half of it in German. I don't see why this thread can't just talk about stuff from the black community perspective.

As for caring or not caring about arguments, I now realize how much experience I must have simply from engaging in Nintendo fanboy arguments for 11 years.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Article already mentions whites being more numerous, so naturally it's easier for whites to go out and meet more of the same just by walking around their environment. But then you get into the segregation of neighborhoods and schools exacerbating this and making it a lot worse than it should be. Where one lives and goes to school is where most friends are made.

The workplace is the other big one. Looking at American cities, most of the jobs are in or near white areas and further away from black neighborhoods. They also tend to hire few black candidates for a number of reasons. So if you're a white dude, all your colleagues and potential network/friends are mostly white. If you're one of the few black employees, you have a sea of white people to get acquainted with... or else bounce.

Black people are taken out of their comfort zones much more often and obligated to mingle with others; always made to be racially aware simply by venturing out into environments where they must conform to white people standards to make a living. Not true at all for whites, which is why nowadays they yammer on about color blindness when they rarely ever have to experience being the lone person of their racial group in an unfamiliar setting. What this token black friend acceptance really translates to is "you guys -- some of you, the good ones, not too many tho -- can come into my space, play by my rules, act like me and follow my examples... because I 'accept you.'"

A fast way for that one black guy to lose some/most of his eight white friends is to talk about racism and other problems that bother him with American culture. Suddenly, things aint so cool anymore.
I made a ton of black friends when my job had me working in a black neighborhood for four or more years. Learned a lot. A fuck of a lot.

cdyhybrid

Who has that many 'friends'. I mean real, I'll come pick you up in the middle of the night, I'll spot you and not record this debit type friend.

I have like 3 or 4 close friends and then like a 6 or 7 more people who'll go catch a movie or go to a party with me. But I'm not outgoing at all.

It's just an extrapolation based on percentages, as I understand it.

BHZ Mayor

Also, what exactly is "off-topic" in a thread that states in the OP that anything ranging from anime to chicken
especially chicken
is open to discussion?

Jado

Banned
I made a ton of black friends when my job had me working in a black neighborhood for four or more years. Learned a lot. A fuck of a lot.

Yea and that sort of experience is rare for most white people. A lot more common for black people to have to work in white areas and interact in benign ways. On the flip side,you have white-dominant law enforcement all over black communities, blacks going through a court system full of white faces, etc. Because of this, there are many white people whose only experience with blacks are those uncommon bad examples where the two groups cross paths: the usual shit in the news media, being on jury duty to oversee a black guy on trial for robbing a store, cop relative/friend with stories of the "hood," homeless panhandler on the way to work, and so on.

Huge disparity in the level of exposure to each other.

Jado

Banned
Your CVS pharmacist?

6a00d83451ccbc69e2017ee3dfd7d4970d-400wi

I hate Bonnie so much

ReiGun

Did a stupid, moronic thing at work because of a stupid situatIon. PM me if you want details (I could really use someone to talk to), but please keep discussion in PMs.

Did a stupid, moronic thing at work because of a stupid situatIon. PM me if you want details (I could really use someone to talk to), but please keep discussion in PMs.
Don't tell me you had a "I am NOT the nigga" moment...they gon hold dat against you forever

PM me if you need old head advice. I'm a manager of 20 too if you need that perspective.

JohnDoe

Banned
A thread about someone who believes in Reptilian shapeshifters lasted longer than mine.

This is an L I shall remember until the day I die.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A thread about someone who believes in Reptilian shapeshifters lasted longer than mine.

This is an L I shall remember until the day I die.

It's not an L. It's not. It's NeoGAF that holds the L that they couldn't handle the truth.

Opiate holds it
w3o4JL0l.jpg

JohnDoe

Banned
It's not an L. It's not. It's NeoGAF that holds the L that they couldn't handle the truth.

Opiate holds it
w3o4JL0l.jpg

Quite honestly, I didn't even leave the part he complained about out on purpose, I forgot to paste it.
But on the other hand I told motherfuckers to read the whole article as you are supposed to and they didn't even read the bolded parts in the OP so fuck them.

besada

Banned
Quite honestly, I didn't even leave the part he complained about out on purpose, I forgot to paste it.
But on the other hand I told motherfuckers to read the whole article as you are supposed to and they didn't even read the bolded parts in the OP so fuck them.
You're welcome to remake it, with more detail, if you want. I don't agree with Opiate's lock, but I'm not going to get into an unlocking fight with another mod.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You're welcome to remake it, with more detail, if you want. I don't agree with Opiate's lock, but I'm not going to get into an unlocking fight with another mod.

This sounds like a trap JohnDoe don't get got

JohnDoe

Banned

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'm in the mood for that. Sorry :(
It's something I missed by accident and it's something anyone could have pointed out pretty early if they had read the whole article like you are supposed to (it's not even a long one). It's also something that I don't think takes away from the points I and other people were making.

If anyone wants, they can do another thread if the mods are fine with it.

edit:

lmao at the posts above

besada

Banned
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'm in the mood for that. Sorry :(
It's something I missed by accident and it's something anyone could have pointed out pretty early if they had read the whole article like you are supposed to (it's not even a long one). It's also something that I don't think takes away from the points I and other people were making.

If anyone wants, they can do another thread if the mods are fine with it.

edit:

lmao at the posts above
I don't blame you, although my intent was to PM Opiate and let him know I'd told you it was okay. If someone else wants to, let me know.

akira28

Personally, I don't even understand the point of a thread like this if we can't take it in whatever direction we want.

It seems that Black communities in all fronts (neighborhoods, churches, internet, etc.) all seem to have this nonsense obsession with having in-depth discussion about every topic under the sun. But, truth be told, people don't want to do that all the time. I come to this thread because I feel like it's the only place on GAF where I can be Black and display that blackness. Every other thread regarding Black people and minorities in general is filled with thinly-veiled racism & sexism, as well as a general lack of understanding or willingness to understand. This is the only thread where I can discuss issues regarding the Black community, as well as being a place where I can generally talk shit with other members of BCTGaf.

There's nothing wrong with that...
cosigned.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I might have done something similar today so im interested

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Personally, I don't even understand the point of a thread like this if we can't take it in whatever direction we want.

It seems that Black communities in all fronts (neighborhoods, churches, internet, etc.) all seem to have this nonsense obsession with having in-depth discussion about every topic under the sun. But, truth be told, people don't want to do that all the time. I come to this thread because I feel like it's the only place on GAF where I can be Black and display that blackness. Every other thread regarding Black people and minorities in general is filled with thinly-veiled racism & sexism, as well as a general lack of understanding or willingness to understand. This is the only thread where I can discuss issues regarding the Black community, as well as being a place where I can generally talk shit with other members of BCTGaf.

There's nothing wrong with that...
That's not what I'm saying at all because obviously that'd make me a hypocrite. I'm not saying "only talk about civil rights movement or gtfo' at all. I'm saying that running to hide here instead of either 1) learning enough about what makes you pissed off from some of the people willing to take the time to put out some damned good material so that you can eventually have an argument of your own or add to 2) existing purely to "you tell em, _____!" and jock 3) posting bctsignals of threads you never even posted in hoping that people champion for you 4) jumping up the ass of someone who gives you a disagreeing tone without even attempting to meet them on an even ground to have a discourse is...

its counterproductive as hell.

unless people want to just sit in their corner and hope that the mods make all the bad people go away instead of actually trying to swing people's opinions and let anyone who's on the fence know that there is a discussion that can take place. that isn't something that happens in a day. it isn't something that you get a PM with a titled smiley face for either. if people aren't patient enough to teach, then how can they hope others are patient enough to learn - especially if they're behind the curve?

i shoot the shit all the time. we always did. but if people care enough to get mad about shit, then they should also care enough to learn how to handle things better. hoping that jado, angelus, akira, byakyuya, satch, devo, (i know i'm leaving ppl out, forgive me. @ lunch) etc or a mod to show up and filet someone for you isn't how shit ever worked before.

andthebeatgoeson

Monicas, don't see sin city. A drop off from the first. Too much forced dialogue. It makes the plot and story telling from the first look phenomenal. The pacing is off. You don't care about the characters. And you get too much flabby and sick Eva (just one or two scenes is too much). She looks good standing or leaning forward. But supine, she becomes a day old pancake. That's Saturday morning Eva with no make up. I wonder what the fuss is. I would have just preferred Friday night Eva.

Did I mention that i miss Brittany Murphy? Not sure how they did that. It's the pacing and introduction of the characters. The first scene you see her in (first movie) was great, so I over looked her acting, accent and mannerisms.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i shoot the shit all the time. we always did. but if people care enough to get mad about shit, then they should also care enough to learn how to handle things better. hoping that jado, angelus, akira, byakyuya, satch, devo, (i know i'm leaving ppl out, forgive me. @ lunch) etc or a mod to show up and filet someone for you isn't how shit ever worked before.

I agree with this.

I said I wasn't going to post for 3 pages, but I'm apparently a dependent and shit so here I am.

I agree with DY. Pretty much all I have to contribute.

Also completely off the current subject...man Redbull is going to end up killing me. My hands are shaking like I'm developing Parkinson's Disease.

So DY, you want people to hold civil discussions with proper arguments no matter what side of the fence they sit on in an attempt to educate one another.

Am I close?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Wonder how much of it was withheld content. The launch game always felt sparse.

i dunno

I'm pretty sure stuff like Link and F-Zero stuff wasn't going to make it into the original game.

Did this Mario Kart have less stuff than Mario Kart usually has?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom