• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jado

Banned
Really random stock photo...

Young vampire businessman outside office with backpack
183628485.jpg

Starting my first run of Enemy Within...

I heard they nerfed snipers. :(

I need to play this again, without that Ironman bullshit. Don't have the time, patience or stress-free heart for that shit anymore.

Opiate

A thread about someone who believes in Reptilian shapeshifters lasted longer than mine.

This is an L I shall remember until the day I die.

We object to process more than conclusion. If there was (as a simple example) a series of studies which showed that men were worse than women at a variety of mathematical tasks, and these conclusions were well supported and were not subject to publisher or practitioner bias in any clear way, that thread would be allowed even though it is expressly sexist.

By contrast, a study which showed that men and women were exactly equal, but which reached that conclusion via poorly controlled trials with small sample sizes -- then used that data to create sensationalist headlines -- then that thread would be closed, even if (in theory) we prefer this conclusion to the former one.

Back on point: I definitely agree that America is racially segregated in a variety of ways. I just think that study was especially bad and very few posters were grasping why.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I think Dy wants us to start speaking up to posters we disagree with instead of bringing it here hoping other members will fight the battle for us. He's saying if you have something to say, confront that poster and be able to provide a worthy argument to perhaps convince them of your position. If you can't, then that's fine, at least you tried, but put in the effort first.

If you're not very informed about the topic but are still outraged by some ignorance, ask anyone here for advice and try to learn something yourself so you can get your point across but waiting on members like Jado, Angelus, Devo, etc to do it first is a pretty heavy burden.

At least that's what I gather. (I'm hungry atm so forgive my moment of dumb)

Many of us already do this but to be honest, I do feel like too much pressure is being put on Jado recently. I try to help out if it's something I'm informed about tho, so I don't think Dy's statement was aimed at me? Or was it? (I've been in more feminism threads lately but I should be giving race threads a lot of my time as well)

JohnDoe

Banned
i shoot the shit all the time. we always did. but if people care enough to get mad about shit, then they should also care enough to learn how to handle things better. hoping that jado, angelus, akira, byakyuya, satch, devo, (i know i'm leaving ppl out, forgive me. @ lunch) etc or a mod to show up and filet someone for you isn't how shit ever worked before.

I agree with this part. And I gotta admit that I used to be much more proactive.

But you also have to consider that for some of us, we've been posting in this forum (and maybe other forums before this) for a lot and just get tired of arguing the same shit over and over again after seeing that almost nobody's learning. Add to that how for some people they get different priorities as time progresses and they have a busier life in general so you start thinking "this shit is just not worth it". But at the same time you still want to spend some time in the communities you really like.

I know it's a shitty attitude but personally I barely have the energy or time to fuck that much with GAF with my current job and the shitty shifts I get.

Jado

Banned
I agree with this part. And I gotta admit that I used to be much more proactive.

But you also have to consider that for some of us, we've been posting in this forum (and maybe other forums before this) for a lot and just get tired of arguing the same shit over and over again after seeing that almost nobody's learning. Add to that how for some people they get different priorities as time progresses and they have a busier life in general so you start thinking "this shit is just not worth it". But at the same time you still want to spend some time in the communities you really like.

I know it's a shitty attitude but personally I barely have the energy or time to fuck that much with GAF with my current job and the shitty shifts I get.

Thanks, but I've said in the past that I only put in a fraction of the time/effort as guys like Angelus. Completely stayed out of the Nicki stuff for example. Not on purpose, but just because that's how my day went. Maybe tomorrow I'll get into it with some dummies in a racism/cop thread, maybe not. Tbh, I mostly post while I work and try to ignore GAF at home. I wasted a weekend arguing during the mess that was the Trayvon/Zimmerman verdict. Never again. As I get older, busier at work and place more value on my limited free time, I will post less and less. Happens with most of us.

A former teacher of mine, now in an education leadership role, is doing big (huge) things in pioneering a high school/early college program that targets black/Latino students to get into the STEM field... with great success and planned expansion. I keep busy with my own career, but wonder if the free time spent arguing with nobodies in Gaming/OT is better spent following his example in my own small way.

Kreed

I think Dy wants us to start speaking up to posters we disagree with instead of bringing it here hoping other members will fight the battle for us. He's saying if you have something to say, confront that poster and be able to provide a worthy argument to perhaps convince them of your position. If you can't, then that's fine, at least you tried, but put in the effort first.

If you're not very informed about the topic but are still outraged by some ignorance, ask anyone here for advice and try to learn something yourself so you can get your point across but waiting on members like Jado, Angelus, Devo, etc to do it first is a pretty heavy burden.

At least that's what I gather. (I'm hungry atm so forgive my moment of dumb)

Many of us already do this but to be honest, I do feel like too much pressure is being put on Jado recently. I try to help out if it's something I'm informed about tho, so I don't think Dy's statement was aimed at me? Or was it? (I've been in more feminism threads lately but I should be giving race threads a lot of my time as well)

Be aware that DY is mentioning things that have been stated in this thread by other posters. Not picking on anyone (which is why I'm not quoting examples), but we have had posters post that they don't want to post in OT threads about black people vs complaining about the subjects safely in here (bishoptl had to call us out on this a couple of BCTs ago) in addition to posters saying things like "BCT was supposed to be a safe haven" in response to posters coming in here asking questions and being clueless about black culture.

BCT can't be everything to everyone, but I think BCT can be most things to most people.

Most times this is home base where guards are down and sometimes it can just be an echo chamber of frustration. This community audit is actually really good to see. It would be easy to tell DY's cat killing ass to go to Hawaii already but the conversation is worth having.

The "check out this foolishness" links that get dropped here can help highlight problems and gets them in front of people who are willing to say something, so I don't see a problem with it if you're also willing to say something before highlighting it in here. I think I've done that more than once (dropped off a 'wtf post' and didn't speak up myself).

There have been tons of questionable posts in that Ferguson thread for example that I didn't just drop off here (like a fiery brown bag filled with dogshit) and a few familiar faces have popped up in there as well. My OT browsing in general is at an all time low, I can only post in the threads I see, usually ones linked from here.

ReiGun

Home. Fuck today. Trying not to dwell but...fuck today.

I need some pizza and a bad lightskin named Keisha to feed it to me. I'm about to settle for the first one tho.

On topic, I openly admit I stay out of most debates, but I also try to avoid talking about threads I'm not participating in. Mainly because I stay out of a lot of threads beyond lurking for a few pages because I know I get too emotionally invested about shit. I do agree with upping our own knowledge bases so that we can better engage in debate and it's something I need to work on myself.

jWILL253

Banned
Twitch CEO Emmett Shear said:
Dear Twitch Community

It’s almost unbelievable that slightly more than 3 years ago, Twitch didn’t exist. The moment we launched, we knew we had stumbled across something special. But what followed surprised us as much as anyone else, and the impact it’s had on both the community and us has been truly profound.

Your talent, your passion, your dedication to gaming, your memes, your brilliance - these have made Twitch what it is today. Every day, we strive to live up to the standard set by you, the community. We want to create the very best place to share your gaming and life online, and that mission continues to guide us.

Together with you, we’ve found new ways of connecting developers and publishers with their fans. We’ve created a whole new kind of career that lets people make a living sharing their love of games. We’ve brought billions of hours of entertainment, laughter, joy and the occasional ragequit. I think we can all call that a pretty good start.

I’m pleased to announce we’ve been acquired by Amazon. We chose Amazon because they believe in our community, they share our values and long-term vision, and they want to help us get there faster. We’re keeping most everything the same: our office, our employees, our brand, and most importantly our independence. But with Amazon’s support we’ll have the resources to bring you an even better Twitch.

I personally want to thank you, each and every member of the Twitch community, for what you’ve created. Thank you for putting your faith in us. Thank you for sticking with us through growing pains and stumbles. Thank you for bringing your very best to us and sharing it with the world. Thank you, from a group of gamers who never dreamed they’d get to help shape the face of the industry that we love so much.

It’s dangerous to go alone. On behalf of myself and everyone else at Twitch, thank you for coming with us.

Emmett Shear, CEO

Just got this in my email. I can't start threads, so feel free to quote if thread worthy.

Monicas, don't see sin city. A drop off from the first. Too much forced dialogue. It makes the plot and story telling from the first look phenomenal. The pacing is off. You don't care about the characters. And you get too much flabby and sick Eva (just one or two scenes is too much). She looks good standing or leaning forward. But supine, she becomes a day old pancake. That's Saturday morning Eva with no make up. I wonder what the fuss is. I would have just preferred Friday night Eva.

Did I mention that i miss Brittany Murphy? Not sure how they did that. It's the pacing and introduction of the characters. The first scene you see her in (first movie) was great, so I over looked her acting, accent and mannerisms.

Watching King of the Hill made me see how good Brittany Murphy was. LuAnn was a well done character, and she was one of the reasons.

harSon

Banned
Fucking wow. The friend whose car was intentionally blown up? Well now his apartment complex was evacuated for a bomb scare.

Fucking wow. The friend whose car was intentionally blown up? Well now his apartment complex was evacuated for a bomb scare.

Bruh he got a real life thin line between love and hate situation going on.

Soooo my wife has hidden my copy of Madden and says I can't play it until I buy her Sims 4 next Tuesday.....wimenz..

Bruh he got a real life thin line between love and hate situation going on.

Soooo my wife has hidden my copy of Madden and says I can't play it until I buy her Sims 4 next Tuesday.....wimenz..

Yea my wife and I are boycotting. It hurts, but I refuse to fucking support what they are doing.

Slayven

If that was my friend I would tell him to talk to the police and tell him he can't come to my house.

BCT can't be everything to everyone, but I think BCT can be most things to most people.

Most times this is home base where guards are down and sometimes it can just be an echo chamber of frustration. This community audit is actually really good to see. It would be easy to tell DY's cat killing ass to go to Hawaii already but the conversation is worth having.

The "check out this foolishness" links that get dropped here can help highlight problems and gets them in front of people who are willing to say something, so I don't see a problem with it if you're also willing to say something before highlighting it in here. I think I've done that more than once (dropped off a 'wtf post' and didn't speak up myself).

There have been tons of questionable posts in that Ferguson thread for example that I didn't just drop off here (like a fiery brown bag filled with dogshit) and a few familiar faces have popped up in there as well. My OT browsing in general is at an all time low, I can only post in the threads I see, usually ones linked from here.
Moris, you are one of the good ones. Despite what JC and Jandro says.

andthebeatgoeson

Watching King of the Hill made me see how good Brittany Murphy was. LuAnn was a well done character, and she was one of the reasons.
She was Luann? Shocked.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2176460-nick-youngs-iggy-azalea-thirst-remains-unquenchable
It’s difficult to overstate the thirst Swaggy P experiences for his girlfriend on a daily basis.

Shipwrecked sailors floating on barrels of jerky are better hydrated than Nick Young is in the presence of Iggy Azalea.

The Los Angeles Lakers shooting guard posted a picture to Instagram on Sunday night after the VMAs.

The image showed Young slavering away as the Australian pop singer sat in his lap. It was deleted shortly after posting.

Fortunately, The Big Lead’s Ryan Glasspiegel grabbed a screenshot of the image before it disappeared. There’s a very real possibility Swaggy P swallowed rhinestones Sunday night.

Edit: on phone, can't post pic.
OK, which one if you wrote this?

Iggy's forced rap accent is super weird, I suppose its because she has an accent herself.

But it sounds like a mix of southern and brooklyn, it's kinda funny that she outs herself as phony just by rapping.

lordmrw

Once I stop dicking around and finish this final mission in Shadowrun Dragonfall I'll probably move on to X-Com next. I wanted to play Transistor but I foolishly didn't look at the minimum requirements and since I don't have a video card it won't even start.

Imm0rt4l

Iggy's forced rap accent is super weird, I suppose its because she has an accent herself.

But it sounds like a mix of southern and brooklyn, it's kinda funny that she outs herself as phony just by rapping.
Yeah its such a disingenuous accent. But i suppose a lot of international talent take on american accent anyways, but hers sounds especially phony. She sounds like a caricature of a white girl who wants all the brothers in the room to know that she likes black dick when its already plainly obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom