• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect to see this exact comment if DC ever gives her a solo.

Some select members of the Carol Corps were already acting a damn fool over Kamala, if I remember correctly. Monica getting a movie before Danvers would tear the whole thing asunder.

There will be some serious SLC levels of sodium chloride if this happens. Like Hilaryis44 levels of salt. From the Carol Corps /and/ from Wonder Woman fans (because WW fans are already pissed that Carol might have a solo film before the First Woman of Comics).

ReiGun

people will always bitch about revisions. i dont know of any major costume variation that didnt get people upset. then after the costume goes away they get upset that its gone.(unless its total shit like that living battery alan scott costume)
True. What's crazy is that most of the revisions we've gotten recently have been pretty good to great save a couple stinkers.

Like the new Batgirl costume that's fucking amazing but male nerds still threw a fit about it.
It was amazing how predictable the reactions were to that. Costume is fucking gorgeous, but we still got male nerds mad at "the tumblr SJW's" and we got people suddenly acting like Batgirl's original costume was gross and sexist. It was glorious.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
True. What's crazy is that most of the revisions we've gotten recently have been pretty good to great save a couple stinkers.

It was amazing how predictable the reactions were to that. Costume is fucking gorgeous, but we still got male nerds mad at "the tumblr SJW's" and we got people suddenly acting like Batgirl's original costume was gross and sexist. It was glorious.

i must have missed this one. dude were angry about her first costume too?

Damn.

I died at this little boy telling his mom off when she told him she was pregnant.
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh2rfotFIV74pwGBbV

Little dude said "This is exasberating". #dead

Quasar (Phyla-Vell) is like 100x the character Carol is.

Marvel did her dirty

Like the new Batgirl costume that's fucking amazing but male nerds still threw a fit about it.

I dropped Batgirl like issue 12 (Still trying to sell them off to some sucker...might just throw them away at this point), did they kill off Bat-Barbara? Cause she's the wackest Batgirl easily. Much better as Oracle, DC needs to put her ass back in the wheelchair.

Is Barbara using that white costume they showed off at one point? It looked kind of dope.

ReiGun

There will be some serious SLC levels of sodium chloride if this happens. Like Hilaryis44 levels of salt. From the Carol Corps /and/ from Wonder Woman fans (because WW fans are already pissed that Carol might have a solo film before the First Woman of Comics).
Speaking as a Wonder Woman fan, I'm over it. We know the shit's coming at this point (WB recently registered a domain for "wonderwomanthemovie.com"), and anyone still mad about it is just being an ass. I don't care who gets a movie before who as long as all them shits are entertaining.

i must have missed this one. dude were angry about her first costume too?

There were a couple articles where people were all "now Batgirl has a practical outfit without heels or skin showing!" and I was just like "you mean...like she always had..." Even Gail Simone tweeted she had read comments like that and was confused because Barbara had always had a practical costume in the New 52.

People didn't even bother to research what her old look was like. They just used the same stock female superhero costume complaints and let it rock.

I dropped Batgirl like issue 12 (Still trying to sell them off to some sucker...might just throw them away at this point), did they kill off Bat-Barbara? Cause she's the wackest Batgirl easily. Much better as Oracle, DC needs to put her ass back in the wheelchair.

Is Barbara using that white costume they showed off at one point? It looked kind of dope.

Nah Babs is still around but she has a new writer and artist. Look how dope her new costume is.

4qNcPbc.jpg

akira28

It's really hard to do flips in a leather jacket. I know this from experience.

I mean, it's good for riding a bike, but not for acrobatics, which was why heroes originally wore leotards(and later, spandex) anyway, because of acrobats and strongmen.

shes a vell. it happens

This is true

There were a couple articles where people were all "now Batgirl has a practical outfit without heels or skin showing!" and I was just like "you mean...like she always had..." Even Gail Simone tweeted she had read comments like that and was confused because Barbara had always had a practical costume in the New 52.

People didn't even bother to research what her old look was like. They just used the same stock female superhero costume complaints and let it rock.

For real, I don't think anyone in the Bat-family rocked heels. Shit DC even stopped drawing Catwoman with them ages ago. If people are going to complain about the nonfunctional heels and shit they really should be yelling at Marvel. Damn near every chick rocks heels. Angela's are ridiculous, shits look like her ankles are broken.

Nah Babs is still around but she has a new writer and artist. Look how dope her new costume is.

4qNcPbc.jpg

I like it a lot, but it feels too "young" for Barbara if that makes any sense? Honestly seems like something Stephanie would wear moreso than Barbara who has access to Bruce's Bat-tech.

Shame she's still Batgirl. DC pls

akira28

I like it a lot, but it feels too "young" for Barbara if that makes any sense? Honestly seems like something Stephanie would wear moreso than Barbara who has access to Bruce's Bat-tech.

Shame she's still Batgirl. DC pls
She went from 30 something badass genius who's seen some shit, back to a teeny-bopper college student type, just a little above Stephanie.

I miss Oracle-Babs. She was cool. I don't even know this new person. Same with Fake Drake. They might as well be the Earth2 versions of these people because they're nothing like their pre-52 characters.

It's really hard to do flips in a leather jacket. I know this from experience.

I mean, it's good for riding a bike, but not for acrobatics, which was why heroes originally wore leotards(and later, spandex) anyway, because of acrobats and strongmen.

1. It's world where dudes take punches from guys that are comparable to Greek Gods and live.

2. http://instagram.com/p/qw3hYlrzWw/?modal=true

they gon keep de-aging Babs until Tim Drake was never Robin

oh wait

Don't make me go Slay on you and post a shot of a comic to prove that Tim was Robin in Nu52.

Parallax

have any of the batgirls ever have a revealing costume? they were always well covered

She went from 30 something badass genius who's seen some shit, back to a teeny-bopper college student type, just a little above Stephanie.

Sooooo they're trying to make Barbara Stephanie?…This is why my DC pull only consists of Muliversity and Earth 2 presently. I even dropped Batwoman which I stanned like fucking crazy.

I miss Oracle-Babs. She was cool. I don't even know this new person. Same with Fake Drake. They might as well be the Earth2 versions of these people because they're nothing like their pre-52 characters.

Honestly I think Earth 2 is better than main line 52 anyway. I would absolutely love an Earth 2 type imprint so they can give some of the characters their own monthly.

have any of the batgirls ever have a revealing costume? they were always well covered

Not a single one.

akira28

Kaep.. don't make me go google coli faces.
Yes I'm sure if the artist draws it, it can be flexible. In real life you'd need to work the shit out of that leather to get it to be pliable enough. And it's supposed to be bulletproof too? Really they just wanted to do away with any boobs. Big red X over them even.

Sooooo they're trying to make Barbara Stephanie?…

If they could physically shove Stephanie-Bat and Babs-Bat together into one, they'd do it.
DC stays trying to have their cake and eat it too. They're bringing the Spoiler back though, but damn do I hate almost every way they go about everything. I like Stephanie Spoiler better though.

Nah she's Babs just younger like everyone else. Dick is pretty young too. Stephanie Brown is coming back soon.

Kaep.. don't make me go google coli faces.
Yes I'm sure if the artist draws it, it can be flexible. In real life you'd need to work the shit out of that leather to get it to be pliable enough. And it's supposed to be bulletproof too? Really they just wanted to do away with any boobs. Big red X over them even.

We're talking comics here. Don't bring in real life.

There's always one dude that says something in comics shouldn't work because that's not how it works in real life.

ReiGun

New Babs really does look 15 despite being a grad student.

For real, I don't think anyone in the Bat-family rocked heels. Shit DC even stopped drawing Catwoman with them ages ago. If people are going to complain about the nonfunctional heels and shit they really should be yelling at Marvel. Damn near every chick rocks heels. Angela's are ridiculous, shits look like her ankles are broken.

Diana still wears heels, though they're pretty small wedges.I think I've seen some drawings of her in flats; can't remember.

And on Stephanie, it's crazy that Babs is getting the youthful, fun look considering what the new Spoiler suit is like:

3660430-spoiler.jpg

She looks like she could beat the fuck out of Barbara.

Parallax

ive come to hate that. heels are fine, but on a brawler theyre fucking stupid

Don't make me go Slay on you and post a shot of a comic to prove that Tim was Robin in Nu52.

theyre gonna make tim a joker clone in the future, just to be spiteful, and then say its a reference to batman beyond

Kreed

I can't fuck with anything where all the characters are unlikable. So i passed on sopranos after a few eps

That's pretty much how all of the "must see" HBO/AMC/House of Cards, etc... shows operate now IMO. After a while you start cheering for the most likeable unlikable characters. Game of Thrones and Mad Men for took me a minute because I wasn't used to not having a clear "hero" character(s). Then after a while it was "Ok well, I don't like the Starks, but the Starks aren't as bad as the Lannisters, so I guess I can cheer them on".

akira28

We're talking comics here. Don't bring in real life.

In comics there's no exploitation issue :p

and I'm not even going off on some 'real physics' ish, just saying. There's a reason why the old batgirl costume worked, and now they're trying to give her the Red Hood treatment + lampshades. I mean, if we're just going to say 'lol comic books', fine, but they're claiming to be working from better logic, and it seems a bit incomplete.

New Babs really does look 15 despite being a grad student.

Yea, if you told me she was suppose to be some angst teeny booper patrolling as Batgirl...I'd believe you.

Diana still wears heels, though they're pretty small wedges.I think I've seen some drawings of her in flats; can't remember.

Funny thing is prior to nu52 and her costume redesign she was usually depicted wearing boots like so

1xi9OAX.jpg

I guess that wasn't sexy enough.

And on Stephanie, it's crazy that Babs is getting the youthful, fun look considering what the new Spoiler suit is like:

3660430-spoiler.jpg

She looks like she could beat the fuck out of Barbara.

So...Barbara is Stephanie and Stephanie is Barbara...I didn't ask for this.

ReiGun

That's pretty much how all of the "must see" HBO/AMC/House of Cards, etc... shows operate now IMO. After a while you start cheering for the most likeable unlikable characters. Game of Thrones and Mad Men for took me a minute because I wasn't used to not having a clear "hero" character(s). Then after a while it was "Ok well, I don't like the Starks, but the Starks aren't as bad as the Lannisters, so I guess I can cheer them on".

I don't know. I think with GoT, they definitely push the Starks and other characters to be the "good" guys. The problem is that being the "good" guys gets the Starks fucked over so consistently that you kinda want to see them just be dirty and start fucking with people. Hence, why Arya is one of the three most popular characters along with Dany and Tyrion: three good guys who aren't above doing some dirt.

Kreed

I don't know. I think with GoT, they definitely push the Starks and other characters to be the "good" guys. The problem is that being the "good" guys gets the Starks fucked over so consistently that you kinda want to see them just be dirty and start fucking with people. Hence, why Arya is one of the three most popular characters along with Dany and Tyrion: three good guys who aren't above doing some dirt.

You're thinking about the show as a whole. I'm talking about when you first start watching the show/the first few episodes (before you knew Arya, Dany, and Tyrion were even main characters) in reference to Slay's comment. Up until the Lannisters start doing their dirt to the Starks/everyone else, the Starks aren't portrayed positively outside of maybe John Snow (who's mistreatment by the Stark parents made them look even worse). Not to mention that the first few episodes are spent setting up the world of Game of Thrones as dark/gritty, so everyone is doing "edgy" things.

royalan

The worst part about moving is when the cable/internet installation doesn't sync up.

I'm in hell until Wednesday, y'all...

ReiGun

You're thinking about the show as a whole. I'm talking about when you first start watching the show/the first few episodes (before you knew Arya, Dany, and Tyrion were even main characters) in reference to Slay's comment. Up until the Lannisters start doing their dirt to the Starks/everyone else, the Starks aren't portrayed positively outside of maybe John Snow (who's mistreatment by the Stark parents made them look even worse). Not to mention that the first few episodes are spent setting up the world of Game of Thrones as dark/gritty, so everyone is doing "edgy" things.

Not really. Think about the first episode: the Starks are shown as a pretty normal family. Not squeaky clean - the first thing we see Ned do is behead a guy for running for his life - but they're definitely characters we're supposed to like and think are good people. The first episode even ends with them suffering a horrible tragedy, which garners audience sympathy. And with Jon Snow, his decision to leave for the Wall was due to feeling there was nothing for him elsewhere, which given his status as a bastard in Westeros, is pretty true. However, Ned still views him as a son and the other children see him as a brother. Only Catelyn has a problem with him, and we don't find out about that in detail until much later.

Compare that to the Lannisters, who everyone shit talks almost immediately. And given the end of the episode....yeah we're not supposed to like the Lannisters at first. I don't even remember Tyrion coming across that great until the following episodes, when we see him slap Joffery or his time at the Wall.

Mortemis

Banned
I can't fuck with anything where all the characters are unlikable. So i passed on sopranos after a few eps

I think this is what's keeping me from really getting into that show. I keep trying and watching one more episode every once in a while, but it just doesn't have that hook to make me marathon it all.

ReiGun

The only thing about "every character is unlikable" stories that gets me is people who try to pass that off as more "realistic." Immediately sets off my "who hurt you" detector. What kind of life have you led where everyone you come across is an asshole? Making flawed and human characters =! making everyone a dick.

The only thing about "every character is unlikable" stories that gets me is people who try to pass that off as more "realistic." Immediately sets off my "who hurt you" detector. What kind of life have you led where everyone you come across is an asshole? Making flawed and human characters =! making everyone a dick.

Girls is terrible at that, Breaking Bad did a good job in that regard. The only people confused about who was bad and who was good were morons cheering for Walter and hating Skylar.

Village

theyre gonna make tim a joker clone in the future, just to be spiteful, and then say its a reference to batman beyond

Why does everyone hate time, well I guess I mean there are plenty of valid reasons to not care about but, darnit he gets a bit too much crap .

It might be regional. Because if you aint got a asshole side round here (north east) you might not be able to handle it.

Kreed

Not really. Think about the first episode: the Starks are shown as a pretty normal family. Not squeaky clean - the first thing we see Ned do is behead a guy for running for his life - but they're definitely characters we're supposed to like and think are good people. The first episode even ends with them suffering a horrible tragedy, which garners audience sympathy. And with Jon Snow, his decision to leave for the Wall was due to feeling there was nothing for him elsewhere, which given his status as a bastard in Westeros, is pretty true. However, Ned still views him as a son and the other children see him as a brother. Only Catelyn has a problem with him, and we don't find out about that in detail until much later.

Compare that to the Lannisters, who everyone shit talks almost immediately. And given the end of the episode....yeah we're not supposed to like the Lannisters at first. I don't even remember Tyrion coming across that great until the following episodes, when we see him slap Joffery or his time at the Wall.

The "not squeaky clean" is the problem, relatively speaking. Sure it's easy to forget Ned killing someone after a few episodes of other even worse events happening, but if you're used to watching shows/movies where you have characters like Peter Quill or Tony Stark, clear cut good guys with "minor" flaws at best (drinking/sleeping around), you're not going to find those characters in the first few episodes of Game of Thrones where "minor flaws" are murder and stealing. As you yourself said, doing "good deeds" doesn't pay off in this world. The same goes for Mad Men, House of Cards, Breaking Bad, many of the Wire characters, etc... All of the characters you're supposed to cheer for have "unlikeable/antagonist" traits. This isn't a bad thing IMO, but it does take getting used to.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Didn't Kishimoto pull this with Sakura?

Yeah, he clearly has trouble with women if you ask me.

Village

Well everyone in naruto pushes the " everyone one is flawed" angle, sakura is just the worst culrpit.

Whats funny is , is that it gets so bad he has all the characters acknowledge how shit she is. Apparently his wife is like sakura, maybe homeboy is letting out some demons.

Its a thing you can easly mess up, whinry in FMA ruins her entire character in a hospital scene of that shit.

Edit: whats funnier is that , ino, her heel. Turned out to be a way better character and have actual self confidence. This could be all metaphor for some bullshit he is dealing with

Part of the reason I cannot get into evangelion.

Trey

Kishi is decent at introducing characters. He's absolutely shit at maintaining them.

Girls is terrible at that, Breaking Bad did a good job in that regard. The only people confused about who was bad and who was good were morons cheering for Walter and hating Skylar.

I "cheered" for Walt because him winning kept the show going. It was fascinating seeing how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Rewatching past episodes has be amazing now that I'm not invested in seeing where the story goes. I'm really seeing the characters in a new light.

I "cheered" for Walt because him winning kept the show going. It was fascinating seeing how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Rewatching past episodes has be amazing now that I'm not invested in seeing where the story goes. I'm really seeing the characters in a new light.

I wanted him to stack the house of cards as high as possible for it to crash on his head too. Didn't get the ending I would have wanted but it was satisfying enough.

ReiGun

It might be regional. Because if you aint got a asshole side round here (north east) you might not be able to handle it.
I live in Baltimore, so I been around scummy ass people enough to know they're unavoidable. But to say you've never met one decent human being in your life, and then try apply to everyone like we're all just jerks? Dawg...who hurt you? lol

We definitely exist in shades of gray as a species, and that includes the good and the bad. I'm wary of any story or worldview that tries ignore the kind-hearted, altruistic people of the world in favor of focusing on just the assholes. The reverse is also true, as it's just naive.

The "not squeaky clean" is the problem, relatively speaking. Sure it's easy to forget Ned killing someone after a few episodes of other even worse events happening, but if you're used to watching shows/movies where you have characters like Peter Quill or Tony Stark, clear cut good guys with "minor" flaws at best (drinking/sleeping around), you're not going to find those characters in the first few episodes of Game of Thrones where "minor flaws" are murder and stealing. As you yourself said, doing "good deeds" doesn't pay off in this world. The same goes for Mad Men, House of Cards, Breaking Bad, many of the Wire characters, etc... All of the characters you're supposed to cheer for have "unlikeable/antagonist" traits. This isn't a bad thing IMO, but it does take getting used to.
Okay, yeah I see your point. I still say we're supposed to see the Stark kids as good, but like you said, it isn't until later that we understand they're important characters.

Amazing that the only woman character worth a damn in the entire series
is the final boss.

Dude has no idea how to write women. Hell, considering Sasuke's arc, he isn't that great with men either.

Slayven

Fuck that and "dark and gritty".

ReiGun

I hate "dark and gritty" because it's damn near meaningless like almost every internet buzzword. Seems like any show or movie that doesn't throw characters smiling in your face or have crazy amounts of color is tossed in the "dark and gritty" pile immediately. It's like people don't understand tone.

Slayven

The worst part about moving is when the cable/internet installation doesn't sync up.

I'm in hell until Wednesday, y'all...
I will call Iyalialailailaialaila to change your life, like she did DMX.

I hate "dark and gritty" because it's damn near meaningless like almost every internet buzzword. Seems like any show or movie that doesn't throw characters smiling in your face or have crazy amounts of color is tossed in the "dark and gritty" pile immediately. It's like people don't understand tone.

The best stuff is the stuff that realizes at some level it ain't shit. Look at Supernatural, they will be the first to say how stupid the stuff is.

Village

Amazing that the only woman character worth a damn in the entire series
is the final boss.

Dude has no idea how to write women. Hell, considering Sasuke's arc, he isn't that great with men either.

There are cool ladies in the series.

sakura is just the worst,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom