• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sopranos was wack af.

giphy.gif

Haven't given Sopranos a fair shot, but the few episodes I saw seemed....off, I don't know can't put my finger on it.

I'll get around to it after I start and finish The Shield.

ReiGun

You joke, but I kinda want Donna to come back Latina. I can't say why. Maybe I just think WW's world could do with more color. Plus they already made Etta Candy black. :p

Slayven

Like that means anything. No, you only disappear permanently if you're lost in a reboot. *Pours one out for Cassandra Cain*

Does if you are black, name 5 black characters that have come back from the dead in the last 10 years. If Brotther Voodoo hasn't come back, nobody brown is.

ReiGun

Does if you are black, name 5 black characters that have come back from the dead in the last 10 years. If Brotther Voodoo hasn't come back, nobody brown is.

....Shit.

On the plus side, DC takes care of its black Superman-related characters. God help her if she joins the Teen Titans, though.

Slayven

I'm sorry but y'all ruined the name Monica for me
Did Goliath come back from Civil War?
Nope, but Pym and Antman sent his soul into a pym particle generated heaven that Pym created. Goliath's asshole nephew took over the name.

....Shit.

On the plus side, DC takes care of its black Superman-related characters. God help her if she joins the Teen Titans, though.

Considering how they segregated the black kryptioians they should.

Kreed

sopranos the goat anyways. and it's equally offensive to all ethnicities. insults to all.

Now this show did live up to internet hype IMO (watched the show for the first time this year as well as the Wire, probably why I was expecting too much from the BCT's hype/Slayven jabs). That and True Detective.

akira28

i thought he was still alive, just...out there in the ether wherever magic comes from, or some crazy shit. Wherever Agomotto and the other Vishanti disappeared off to.
(although I knew as soon as he got the promotion to Sorcerer Supreme, he was living on borrowed time. It's like they want to reinforce almost, maybe subconsciously, that Dr Strange is the baddest dude around. I knew Voodoo's clock was ticking as soon as they gave him the corner office and Strange was still alive. dat status quo backlash is a killer)

Slayven

i thought he was still alive, just...out there in the ether wherever magic comes from, or some crazy shit. Wherever Agomotto and the other Vishanti disappeared off to.
(although I knew as soon as he got the promotion to Sorcerer Supreme, he was living on borrowed time. It's like they want to reinforce almost, maybe subconsciously, that Dr Strange is the baddest dude around. I knew Voodoo's clock was ticking as soon as they gave him the corner office and Strange was still alive. dat status quo backlash is a killer)
Can't be taking no job from the white man. Should have stayed his ass in New Orleans killing red neck vampires that were preying on katrina victims.

"A nigger hero?! and female?! Ugh this social justice warrior shit has ruined comic book movies for me!"
No not that, how quick the Carol Corps will flip the script.

ReiGun

"She looks mixed, look at her hair and skin tone. Definitely not 100% black black."
I expect to see this exact comment if DC ever gives her a solo.

No not that, how quick the Carol Corps will flip the script.
Some select members of the Carol Corps were already acting a damn fool over Kamala, if I remember correctly. Monica getting a movie before Danvers would tear the whole thing asunder.

Slayven

I expect to see this exact comment if DC ever gives her a solo.

Some select members of the Carol Corps were already acting a damn fool over Kamala, if I remember correctly. Monica getting a movie before Danvers would tear the whole thing asunder.

And no one in teh bunch even know what a Psyche-Magnatron is.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

monica getting a movie would kill peoples soul. all for a weak character. but then again, with all the shit theyve been flinging ant mans way, it would be hilarious

And no one in teh bunch even know what a Psyche-Magnatron is.

i dont think half of them know who mar vell is

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Sopranos was a good but extremely toxic show.
I don't know. I was at one of my breaking points depression wise while marathoning it. I vowed to never watch it again cause it's a reminder of how low I was mentally.

ReiGun

Now we before we get all "fake geek girl" in here, the first arc of the Captain Marvel does go into her origin, explaining Mar-Vell and the Psyche-Magnatron. I know this because I read the first arc before declaring the book basara and dropping it.

I do think the whole Carol Corps thing started because of the costume change, though. It was a victory in the sense it was a major female hero getting a more modest costume that people actually liked. Granted, Wonder Woman got that treatment first (on top of being a bigger character), but opinion was super divided on that one. Damn near everyone loves Carol's new suit.

Now we before we get all "fake geek girl" in here, the first arc of the Captain Marvel does go into her origin, explaining Mar-Vell and the Psyche-Magnatron. I know this because I read the first arc before declaring the book basara and dropping it.

I do think the whole Carol Corps thing started because of the costume change, though. It was a victory in the sense it was a major female hero getting a more modest costume that people actually liked. Granted, Wonder Woman got that treatment first (on top of being a bigger character), but opinion was super divided on that one. Damn near everyone loves Carol's new suit.

The helm thing is dumb af though.

Slayven

Ain't nobody going that way.

And folks must have missed 70s Wonder Woman

The helm thing is dumb af though.

I wish they had kept the faux hawk

wonderwoman-costume-456.jpg

really the entire show. But the Aj scene didn't help cause I saw him as a fuck boy and it made question if I was calling the kettle black.

everybody has that "calling the kettle black" moment with AJ.

i remember thinking he was a fuckboy too and then we have that scene with Tony watching him with disdain as he's on an internet forum laughing... :(

Parallax

That and the fact that it took Marvel artists like two years to figure out to draw her hair.

People hated that too.

That's the funny thing. People keep saying they want a more modest look for Wonder Woman, but they hate it every time DC tries.

maybe its the colors. thats a very non wonder woman coloration. its like giving supes a primary yellow color scheme or batmen cloaked in white

ReiGun

Carol sucks.
She is rather bland. Like the stock "tough but sometimes soft on the inside chick" trope. Marvel's got a ton of female characters I'd push over her, but she's the one the internet has latched onto. So eh.

maybe its the colors. thats a very non wonder woman coloration. its like giving supes a primary yellow color scheme or batmen cloaked in white

I mean, people hated everything about 70's Wonder Woman, mainly because it was Wonder Woman in name only. But her look was actually pretty good. I agree people might have liked it more if it maintained the red and blue.

But the three major recent attempts at giving Diana pants - Injustice, #600, and the original Nu52 costume - were all met with a "meh" even among those advocating for the change. I don't really know what people want here.

Parallax

I mean, people hated everything about 70's Wonder Woman, mainly because it was Wonder Woman in name only. But her look was actually pretty good. I agree people might have liked it more if it maintained the red and blue.

But the three major recent attempts at giving Diana pants - Injustice, #600, and the original Nu52 costume - were all met with a "meh" even among those advocating for the change. I don't really know what people want here.

people will always bitch about revisions. i dont know of any major costume variation that didnt get people upset. then after the costume goes away they get upset that its gone.(unless its total shit like that living battery alan scott costume)

She is rather bland. Like the stock "tough but sometimes soft on the inside chick" trope. Marvel's got a ton of female characters I'd push over her, but she's the one the internet has latched onto. So eh.

Quasar (Phyla-Vell) is like 100x the character Carol is.

people will always bitch about revisions. i dont know of any major costume variation that didnt get people upset. then after the costume goes away they get upset that its gone.(unless its total shit like that living battery alan scott costume)

Like the new Batgirl costume that's fucking amazing but male nerds still threw a fit about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom