• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Dark and gritty, to me, just reflects a negative perception of people, society and the world altogether. It's like people want to believe that they are surrounded by dark energy and that's how the world should be, consistently.

It's awful. Ugh.

Edit: I dunno Village, Ino and Temari were perhaps the only decent ones (maybe a few more) but I particularly remember Sakura and Neji's cousin were just disastrous.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
"Neji's cousin."

lol, damn. That's probably how Naruto remembers her.

I think her name started with an H? LOL but yeah she was creepy and had no personality outside of being shy and trying to get in his pants by being weird as hell. Ugh, and then her confession was so embarrassing. Jesus that girl was a fail.

But yeah, Ino was a great girl.

ReiGun

The best stuff is the stuff that realizes at some level it ain't shit. Look at Supernatural, they will be the first to say how stupid the stuff is.
I think there's a place for Supernatural's brand of self deprecating humor, but I'd irritated if every piece of "pulp" art decided to go that route. I like variety, and there's space for sci-fi and fantasy stories of all tones as long as they're executed well.

There are cool ladies in the series.

sakura is just the worst,
The only reason Sakura is the worst is that we see her the most often. Ino and TenTen are barely developed. Hinata's whole storyline is about a boy showing her to be confident in herself. Temari is okay, but we hardly see her. Karin, like Hinata, has her whole story centering around a boy who doesn't pay her any mind. Tsunade is decent, but she's also the worst Hokage ever and has been pretty irrelevant for a while. If there's any I forgot it's because they're not even worth mentioning.

Dark and gritty, to me, just reflects a negative perception of people, society and the world altogether. It's like people want to believe that they are surrounded by dark energy and that's how the world should be, consistently.

It's awful. Ugh.
I think there's a place for dark and gritty, but I certainly wouldn't want every story to be like that. I agree that people obsessed with everything being "dark" or believe that darkness makes a story better regardless of execution are kind of misguided. I also wouldn't want every story to be all happy go lucky, because sometimes I'm not in the mood for happy shit.

I hate "dark and gritty" because it's damn near meaningless like almost every internet buzzword. Seems like any show or movie that doesn't throw characters smiling in your face or have crazy amounts of color is tossed in the "dark and gritty" pile immediately. It's like people don't understand tone.

Give an example.

Village

The mizukage was cool
I hate "dark and gritty" because it's damn near meaningless like almost every internet buzzword. Seems like any show or movie that doesn't throw characters smiling in your face or have crazy amounts of color is tossed in the "dark and gritty" pile immediately. It's like people don't understand tone.

You don't know how I understand how much, I despise this.

"Lucario is edgy put mewtwo in smash"

Edgy just means " shit I don't like"

I don't even think it means that sometimes, I think it means " things that some sections of the internet told me not to like " I swear if you presented a lot of this " edgy " stuff out side of the context of them trying be cool to strangers on the internet , a lot of them of them would like that shit.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think her name started with an H? LOL but yeah she was creepy and had no personality outside of being shy and trying to get in his pants by being weird as hell. Ugh, and then her confession was so embarrassing. Jesus that girl was a fail.

It is precisely because of those traits that Hinata is consistently the most popular female character in the series in reader polls. Only occasionally losing to Sakura

She's quite literally the Rei Ayanami of Naruto while Sakura is its Asuka

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
It is precisely because of those traits that Hinata is consistently the most popular female character in the series in reader polls. Only occasionally losing to Sakura

Moe and tsundere. But seriously I think that she's well liked has more to do with the fact that Sakura doesn't like the main so they want him shipped with the girl who does. Never mind she can't talk to him like a person, worships the ground he walks on like he's a God, and has no character outside of admiring him.

Yeah, she's the perfect doll for him who won't ever do wrong. Ugh, that's gross.

@bolded. That was her name! I almost looked it up haha

ReiGun

Give an example.

Take the recent TMNT movie. People called them "dark and gritty" when we first saw the designs.

Look at these goofy fucking things.
It isn't exactly the 80's cartoon (or the 2012 one for that matter), but I don't see how anyone could look at these characters and call them "dark." Ugly? Yes. Dark and grits? Nah.

Hell, it's TMNT. You should automatically assume someone is going to take the piss with it. But because people heard it was going to be more serious than the old stuff, the "dark and gritty" label got applied immediately. Even before we even saw the designs, in fact.

She's quite literally the Rei Ayanami of Naruto while Sakura is its Asuka

Hate that.

I read Nisekoi and one of the love interests, Kosaki Onodera is the most vanilla, boring-ass character in the book. Quiet, awkward, and all that jazz.

Who leads the flippin' character polls? Onodera.

Village

The only reason Sakura is the worst is that we see her the most often. Ino and TenTen are barely developed. Hinata's whole storyline is about a boy showing her to be confident in herself. Temari is okay, but we hardly see her. Karin, like Hinata, has her whole story centering around a boy who doesn't pay her any mind. Tsunade is decent, but she's also the worst Hokage ever and has been pretty irrelevant for a while. If there's any I forgot it's because they're not even worth mentioning..

Some characters lack of development aside, I personally liked the mizukage, uh sakura is still a horrid human being to which Kishimoto broke Kay fabe and apologized for in the manga.

"Sakura is shit, right allow me to give you this vidication sakura chapter while I prepare for the longest godamned Zombie build up and Zombie arc manga has ever seen that leads to ashura's wrath because things we talked about earlier but its been so long ago it will still kinda piss you off"

ReiGun

Some characters lack of development aside, I personally liked the mizukage, uh sakura is still a horrid human being to which Kishimoto broke Kay fabe and apologized for in the manga.

But that's my point. Sakura is terrible because we see her so much that Kishi got to really destroy her character.

I like the Mizukage and the female ninja from the Cloud we've seen. You know what they have over Sakura? Lack of screen time. I have no doubt that if they were seen more, Kishi would have fucked them up too.

Slayven

Hate that.

I read Nisekoi and one of the love interests, Kosaki Onodera is the most vanilla, boring-ass character in the book. Quiet, awkward, and all that jazz.

Episode_363_Hitsugaya_1.png

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Hate that.

The perfect japanese wife

But yeah, Ino was a great girl.

:|

RedSwirl

"Dark and gritty" used to suggest to some people a greater grounding in reality, or something more interesting because it deals in shades of grey instead of black and white. I have no idea what it means now.

Village

But that's my point. Sakura is terrible because we see her so much that Kishi got to really destroy her character.

I like the Mizukage and the female ninja from the Cloud we've seen. You know what they have over Sakura? Lack of screen time. I have no doubt that if they were seen more, Kishi would have fucked them up too.

I dunno, I think the reason why Sakura was so messed up was her personality.
Like even if they weren't well written , they still would have been better than that.

Like even the guy makes the manga acknowledged sakura ain't shit. So I feel like he would have at least avoided that. He sees there is a problem, I have seen mangaka get upset and try to explain their shit characters to people. He at least knows shits up.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If you guys are reading Naruto, or any mordern shounen really, for consistent and meaningful characterization and development....

I don't know what to tell you. I mean One Piece seems to be the most highly regarded Shounen and it's approach to character development is to just not have any.

ReiGun

Hitsugaya's popularity blows me because he is such an awful character. I don't even think Kubo likes him; he shits on dude every chance he gets, and he gave Rukia a better ice-type Bankai.

I dunno, I think the reason why Sakura was so messed up was her personality.
Like even if they weren't well written , they still would have been better than that.

Like even the guy makes the manga acknowledged sakura ain't shit. So I feel like he would have at least avoided that. He sees there is a problem, I have seen mangaka get upset and try to explain their shit characters to people. He at least knows shits up.
He had a chance to turn her around way back during the chunnin exam, then again in the Rescue Gaara. It seemed like he was going to both times, and both times he dropped the ball.

Village

If you guys are reading Naruto, or any mordern shounen really, for consistent and meaningful characterization and development....

I don't know what to tell you. I mean One Piece seems to be the most highly regarded Shounen and it's approach to character development is to just not have any.

There is some development, although I heard something about chopper that if true would piss me off to no avail.

Slayven

Hitsugaya's popularity blows me because he is such an awful character. I don't even think Kubo likes him; he shits on dude every chance he gets, and he gave Rukia a better ice-type Bankai.

He is so bad, have you read the latest chapters? They totally shitted on him
Rukia's bankai, and the music captain's bankai makes me so mad at Kubo. Dude comes up with such awesome ideas, and just shits them away.

Village

I don't hate histugaya , I find him unoffensive.

I hate his powers though.

He had a chance to turn her around way back during the chunnin exam, then again in the Rescue Gaara. It seemed like he was going to both times, and both times he dropped the ball.

Thats before he realized, he realized this right before the zombie shit began rolling down the hill. This is some time spent in shuppuden, like this is right after naruto has his " back then they didn't want me " moment after he beats the nagato or whoever in the middle of the leaf village.

DominoKid

Hitsugaya is a child prodigy and he's got an ice dragon for a bankai. of course he's going to be popular. he'd probably be one of the most popular characters in all of anime right now if Kubo ever let him prosper

Village

Hitsugaya is a child prodigy and he's got an ice dragon for a bankai. of course he's going to be popular. he'd probably be one of the most popular characters in all of anime right now if Kubo ever let him prosper

Also he doesn't have... a face some people wont like. There are people who wont like characters if they think they look ugly. My homeboy kenpachi be ggetting the short end of the stick on that one.

Ice powers can become boring real quick. Not every nigga can be Bobby Drake.

This is not false.

Avatar both seires does a good ass job making water and Ice look good. I'm still picking fire but I respect that shit.

ReiGun

I don't hate histugaya , I find him unoffensive.

I hate his powers though.
His powers are just Ichigo's powers, but with ice beams replacing black beams and a shittier visual change.

Meanwhile, Rukia is all "I reduce the temperature of everything around me to absolute zero. I don't even have to fight anymore once I release this shit."

Thats before he realized, he realized this right before the zombie shit began rolling down the hill. This is some time spent in shuppuden, like this is right after naruto has his " back then they didn't want me " moment after he beats the nagato or whoever in the middle of the leaf village.
Right. Dude didn't realize he fucked up Sakura until years after the damage was done. Now imagine if he had spent that kind of time on Hinata or Ino, who themselves weren't the best characters to start with.

Village

His powers are just Ichigo's powers, but with ice beams replacing black beams and a shittier visual change.

Meanwhile, Rukia is all "I reduce the temperature of everything around me to absolute zero. I don't even have to fight anymore once I release this shit."

The Implication is that his powers do the freezing part too, but with dragon, and his shit has limited uses by the way, wtf even.

And Ichigo's is just a DBZ I can better because power level reasons, his isn't even that he still has to fight you with the dumb ice dragon you just gotta put on a bigger sweater.

Right. Dude didn't realize he fucked up Sakura until years after the damage was done. Now imagine if he had spent that kind of time on Hinata or Ino, who themselves weren't the best characters to start with.
While I would like to believe he wouldn't have messed them up, you raise a VERY good point.

Eh Hitsuguya has more versatility with his power since he controls moisture in the air. Rukia's is just a one hit kill that she can only do a few times atm.

People get on Renji about bobbing, but Hitsuguya has more prestige and jobs harder.

I like Ichigo...smartest shounen protagonist.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Eh Hitsuguya has more versatility with his power since he controls moisture in the air. Rukia's is just a one hit kill that she can only do a few times atm.

People get on Renji about bobbing, but Hitsuguya has more prestige and jobs harder.

Hitsugaya is the Cleveland Browns of captains

edit: also a long day for me. someone spoiled attack on titan for me when i went to check on my people on post. i had to resort to violence. i regret nothing

ReiGun

Chad has more wins than Hitsu or Renji at this point.

Fucking Chad.

Slayven

He controls moisture in the air , but damn near lost to a chick that shoots water. If Icemna had lost to Hydroman? Cyke would kick him off the squad and tell him he best not even draw an X anymore.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Chad has more wins than Hitsu or Renji at this point.

Fucking Chad.

Preach. Hitsu doesn't just lose either - he gets his ass handed to him as what's left of his shitty dragon cascades around him
He controls moisture in the air , but damn near lost to a chick that shoots water. If Icemna had lost to Hydroman? Cyke would kick him off the squad and tell him he best not even draw an X anymore.

LOL

"you even dream about an X, you better wake up and apologize"

ReiGun

From just the big 3? If not...Killua? Jotaro?
Yeah, I'd put Killua over Ichigo. Unless you just count Gon as HxH's protag, and even he is pretty smart.

Ichigo is definitely smarter than Naruto and Luffy, though.

Chad needs wins. Dude was on the bench for so long i forgot what his powers were.

I don't Kubo even knows anymore. He was supposed to be this hollow type guys way back, but then the Fullbring stuff happened and I'm not even sure anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom