• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Finding out that the "heart of the cards" is really just Yami Yugi's power to stack the deck was some hilarious shit.

Whoa wait is this true? I never really bothered to get to the end of the original Yugioh and just read like a super brief synopsis about the ending. LOL if so.

eh

i guess

the limited asspulls should keep it away from the big 3 and other shows like it tho imo

Being better written than most other shonen doesn't make it not shonen :p

Village

Idk if we can have a coversation about Goku with people overblowing his parenting skills.

He's pretty not good at it though. he ain't no Gan, but he up there.

One of my favorite shonen protagonists is tsunayoshi from KHR, loved that series, I am sad for whatever reason it got canceled. Which was weird considering it was doing well before it stopped.

ReiGun

Death Note and Code Geass had the same problem where they leaned a little too deep into the fuckery. To the point that you just wanted it to be over by the end.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Zoro is boring because he's literally not allowed to lose.(to swordsman, which is all he fights) That was his vow until he fights Mihawk who is the only person he has lost against

So he's going to spend the duration of the series holding up that vow until he fights Mihawk again.

I like him in the games, but zoro has the most boring and straightforward fights in the series because he's not allowed to lose to anyone. Doing so would only complicate the plot and complicated is the antithesis of one piece.

compared to naruto's asspulls?

bruh

bruh

Naruto is at least consistently dumb. Full Metal Alchemist preaches that equivalent exchange as the law of the universe and consistently beats that reality into the main characters

Then it ends with the happiest neatest tidiest ending. The day is saved, all the bad guys die and all the good guys get what they want and live happily ever after.

Not saying he's the best but they act like dude completely abandons his kids for a pack of cigs or someshit.

"He leaves to train uub" Nigga they can sense his ass and fly to him get the fuck outta here.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Death Note and Code Geass had the same problem where they leaned a little too deep into the fuckery. To the point that you just wanted it to be over by the end.

naw... light had no excuse. dude could literally have his enemies die in their sleep, slipping in the shower, or in horrific microwaving explosions and he found a way to make life hard.

zero was outchea winning.
Then it ends with the happiest neatest tidiest ending. The day is saved, all the bad guys die and all the good guys get what they want and live happily ever after.

I wouldn't call it tidy.

And 'equivalent exchange' was always a convenient way for the creator to :3

zero_suit

Zoro is boring because he's literally not allowed to lose.(to swordsman, which is all he fights) That was his vow until he fights Mihawk who is the only person he has lost against

So he's going to spend the duration of the series holding up that vow until he fights Mihawk again.

I like him in the games, but zoro has the most boring and straightforward fights in the series because he's not allowed to lose to anyone. Doing so would only complicate the plot and complicated is the antithesis of one piece.

Naruto is at least consistently dumb. Full Metal Alchemist preaches that equivalent exchange as the law of the universe and consistently beats that reality into the main characters

But I thought it was the greatest story ever told!!

Village

I felt that way about code geass, I do not feel that way about death note.

Both Have pretty good abridged series BTW, the geass along with the dudes One peice one gets updated super rarely. Though dude made the pest pokemon related thing ever. And the death note one was really good, but the guy stopped doing it I think he is actually a voice actor now. So eh.

Trey

naw... light had no excuse. dude could literally have his enemies die in their sleep, slipping in the shower, or in horrific microwaving explosions and he found a way to make life hard.

Light had to be the dumbest asshole in the history of manga/anime.

His foolishness was only matched by L's asspulls.

Are you actually reading the same OP as everyone else? Are you reading the current arc? There's tons of characters, plotlines, backstory revealed and it doesn't seem like it's even near being finished

ReiGun

zero was outchea winning.

I wouldn't call it tidy.

And 'equivalent exchange' was always a convenient way for the creator to :3

Zero had his sister massacre some fools cause of the dumbest joke in history. "I could even have you kill all the Japanese people if I wanted." :3 Who the fuck jokes about that? Dude and his crew was fucking up so badly they just had to make him a bad guy so they could end the shit.

Don't even get me started on Suzaku and his bullshit command letting him basically break the world.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Are you actually reading the same OP as everyone else? Are you reading the current arc? There's tons of characters, plotlines, backstory revealed and it doesn't seem like it's even near being finished

I bet you 100 million billion dollars that this current arc ends with Luffy beating up the bad guys, making the princess character happy, having a big party and moving onto the next island to do it all over again

I bet you 100 million billion dollars that this current arc ends with Luffy beating up the bad guys, makes the princess character happy, has a big party and moves onto the next island to do it all over again

Like how the war ended with Luffy beating the bad guy? Like Shabody ended with Luffy beating the bad guy? Or Impel Down ended with Luffy beating the bad guy? Not saying it doesn't usually happen but definitely not always

DY_nasty

lelouch ain't perfect. never pretends to be

this motherfucker light tho - killing people in broad daylight because he's got short dick syndrome smh

DominoKid

Zero had his sister massacre some fools cause of the dumbest joke in history. "I could even have you kill all the Japanese people if I wanted." :3 Who the fuck jokes about that? Dude and his crew was fucking up so badly they just had to make him a bad guy so they could end the shit.

that part was crazy.

Trey

This nigga L: "I see no evidence of you being Kira. You're too normal: only Kira could possibly pull that off."

Confirmation bias, the character. Made the show boring.

I thought he pretty much suspected him the whole time. Didn't he literally lock him up for a month just to make sure? And thenhandcuff them together or something?

That's when Light's foolishness caught up to him. Before he made an embarrassment of errors to even become a suspect in the first place. But while Light was still playing the plausible deniability game, L would look at any action Light took as evidence of him being Kira.

This nigga L: "I see no evidence of you being Kira. You're too normal: only Kira could possibly pull that off."

Confirmation bias, the character. Made the show boring.

I thought he pretty much suspected him the whole time. Didn't he literally lock him up for a month just to make sure? And thenhandcuff them together or something?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Like how the war ended with Luffy beating the bad guy? Like Shabody ended with Luffy beating the bad guy? Or Impel Down ended with Luffy beating the bad guy? Not saying it doesn't usually happen but definitely not always

Gomu Gomu no Elephant Gun Storm

The move he's going to beat DOflamingo with

ReiGun

None of the HxH protags are really dumb. Even Leorio is pretty good at thinking through situations and strategies when they fall in his area of expertise. Kurapika and Killua are just on another level compared to Gon and Leorio.

ReiGun

Favorite Shounen Jump Protags:

Yusuke > Joseph Joestar > Part 1 Naruto > Kid Goku > Yugi > Gon > Jonathan Joestar > Ichigo > Adult Goku > Luffy > Jotaro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Part 2 Naruto

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
lelouch ain't perfect. never pretends to be

this motherfucker light tho - killing people in broad daylight because he's got short dick syndrome smh

lights the reason i struggled with death note. i simply dont care enough about that fool to watch him fail. and with all the dumb shit he did
(killing ray pember after he was off the trail? dumb fucker)
he was gonna fail

DY_nasty

after legend of galactic heroes, everyone is a dumbass

no coming back from that shit

royalan

Yo, fuck all this anime talk...

I'm passing my time in cable purgatory by watching my Batman: The Animated Series DVDs.

This show has aged well. Animation has more FPS than most modern anime (which is damn sad, to be honest), and the art style and soundtrack nails the mood perfectly.

GOAT show.

DY_nasty

I'm passing my time in cable purgatory by watching my Batman: The Animated Series DVDs.

This show has agreed well. Animation so has more FPS, than most modern anime (which is damn sad, to be honest), and the art style and soundtrack nails the mood perfectly.
mr. freeze episode and clayface

shit still fucks with me to this day

DominoKid

i enjoy the rival/villain characters way more in shonen.

in the cases where i actually like the MC it's usually a series where the whole cast is really good. yusuke, kenshin, kuroko, the jojos, inuyasha.

naruto is just so massive that i'm bound to like a few characters. kakashi, itachi.
bleach i don't even like the main crew of heroes. aizen & mayuri are where it's at.

ReiGun

This show has agreed well. Animation so has more FPS, than most modern anime (which is damn sad, to be honest), and the art style and soundtrack nails the mood perfectly.

Batman TAS, Beyond, Superman TAS, and Justice League all hold up. I gotta go back and watch Static Shock to see how that aged.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
after legend of galactic heroes, everyone is a dumbass

no coming back from that shit

The good thing about LOGH is that it had smart and dumb people. And even the smartest guys alive had huge character flaws. Like you're just watching history unfold rather than good guysvs bad guys or protags vs antags

I feel like there's not enough middle ground in shounen. Either everyone is dumb and just relies on super powers, or everyone is
insanely smart and had the specific knowledge and expertise needed to deal with this crazy absurd ability they're encountering for the first time perfectly.(killua vs dart board twins. Every single Jojo protagonist at some point)

But that's like comparing apples and oranges I guess

HxH art looked a little kiddy for me, I might have to give it a try.

You probably saw a page/chapter where the author was being a lazy shit. When he isn't you get stuff like this

iX1Ww1I.png

This show has aged well. Animation has more FPS than most modern anime (which is damn sad, to be honest), and the art style and soundtrack nails the mood perfectly.

GOAT show.

Some handsome guy made a thread about that show not too long ago

GOAT show.

Good shit.

I was always fond of that episode where the dude thought he beat Bats and was scared shitless. And the episode with the computer tower with the red eye.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

GOAT show.

I thought the first season of TAS was really rough, at least in the beginning. The animation especially is very hit-or-miss. First couple Joker episodes are actually awful.

GOAT show.

It's all a matter of budget. An average anime ep has a budget of like $100-300k compared to something like...Futurama which is over a million. Batman definitely wasn't that high but was probably higher than most anime series. When the shows were produced has little to do with it. Also, let's not act like the early eps weren't a bit shaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom