• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the first season of TAS was really rough, at least in the beginning. First couple Joker episodes are actually awful.

Like I said in the thread, they didn't really figure him all out until Paul Dini came on board(well the writers didn't; Mark Hamill was keepin it a hunnid from the word go). The Laughing Fish, The Man Who Killed Batman, Joker's Favor, Mad Love, Joker's Millions, Joker's Wild...lot of good stuff

ReiGun

It's crazy how no one has gotten Harley Quinn as...right as the show did. Lots of talented people have gotten to write the character since she made it to comics, but her portrayal in TAS was perfect. Only "Gotham City Sirens" came close.

Crocodile

Batman TAS is the type of show that even as a child I could recognize its quality but I never particularly enjoyed watching it then and now I'd still rather watch Brace & Bold, Beyond, Justice League Classic/Unlimited, Young Justice, etc. I don't want to use the word overrated because the series produced some LEGIT great episodes but I don't think I hold B:TAS in as high esteem at many others :/

Yo, fuck all this anime talk...

I'm passing my time in cable purgatory by watching my Batman: The Animated Series DVDs.

This show has aged well. Animation has more FPS than most modern anime (which is damn sad, to be honest), and the art style and soundtrack nails the mood perfectly.

GOAT show.

That isn't really saying much, most anime tend to be on the cheap side. Hell frame count has never been a priority for most anime given the methodologies that Tezuka pretty much put into play what like 50 years ago at this point? Still, it's not surprising that one of the better produced shows of the 90's is going to run circles around the average output of X years later. Akira, most classic Disney movies, etc. still hold up super well.

It's crazy how no one has gotten Harley Quinn as...right as the show did. Lots of talented people have gotten to write the character since she made it to comics, but her portrayal in TAS was perfect. Only "Gotham City Sirens" came close.

Wasn't she a character that was created/first seen in the show and got so popular they made her an actual Batman comic character? I think it's because the show knew what tone and audience it was going for, while some of the comics like to make things edgy and it just gets out of hand

ReiGun

Batman TAS is the type of show that even as a child I could recognize its quality but I never particularly enjoyed watching it then and now I'd still rather watch Brace & Bold, Beyond, Justice League Classic/Unlimited, Young Justice, etc. I don't want to use the word overrated because the series produced some LEGIT great episodes but I don't think I hold B:TAS in as high esteem at many others :/

I was the same way to be honest. I liked Batman whenever I caught an episode, but I wasn't mad when I missed it like I was with, say, Spider-Man or Tiny Toons. Going back to it, though, it was definitely great and a contender for the best written Batman ever.

Wasn't she a character that was created/first seen in the show and got so popular they made her an actual Batman comic character? I think it's because the show knew what tone and audience it was going for, while some of the comics like to make things edgy and it just gets out of hand

Edgy isn't really a problem with Harley. It's more the comics just don't know how to keep her interesting. They can't keep her around the Joker time because that limits what they can do with him (plus, their abusive relationship gets a little depressing), but her main gimmick is being desperately in love with him. So there's not much you can do there.

That said, she does have one of the highest selling books out right now, so what do I know.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

She was created for the show. The best anyone could do would be to reinvent her as to prevent direct comparisons.

I wish roxy rocket would have taken off though.

Kreed

Batman TAS, Beyond, Superman TAS, and Justice League all hold up. I gotta go back and watch Static Shock to see how that aged.

I remember the first couple of seasons of Static having really clunky animation/art. Then they "integrated" with the rest of the DC animated universe and all of a sudden the animation stepped up and Lil Romeo was doing the theme song.

ReiGun

She was created for the show. The best anyone could do would be to reinvent her as to prevent direct comparisons.

I wish roxy rocket would have taken off though.

Well, Batgirl was made for a show too, but the comics eventually figured her out. Harley's mostly been a pale imitation of her glory days outside of GCS.

And I agree Roxy never taking is a damn shame. Such a fun character.

Mortemis

Banned

I feel the same man. I know how good the show is, I just don't enjoy it as much as I do the other shows. I'd much rather watch Justice League or Batman Beyond.

I'm wondering how static shock holds up as well. I can't really remember all that much from the show.

RedSwirl

I got season one of TAS but never decided if I should keep buying them. It's all on Amazon Prime Instant anyway though.

KumaJG

Ever since I returned back to planet Aeos, I haven't touch Star Ocean 4. I never seen a game take such a dive in quality than this game. The worst game I ever played.

akira28

I couldn't make it through 5 minutes of Death Note before I was like, "dude turn off this fuckshit".

...and lets watch some queens blade.

ReiGun

FML I MISSED THE ANIME TALK AGAIN

I see Yusuke mentioned and everything. *sobbing*

Had to show love to the god.

"Maybe there've been times were I've been pissed and hated things, but it wasn't from this work. My dad's a no-show, my mom's lush and school sucks, but this job is the one damn thing I'm good at. If all the crap in my life hasn't screwed be up yet, then neither will this and neither will you."

GOAT.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
^^Yusuke is one-liner king. Dude ended the series on "Its not a party until somebody is on the floor". Fought with a King. Gave em the work. Went home and his girl was still loyal. /banderas

started watching aldnoah to take a break from slam dunk (don't listen to the lies - kuroko anime >>> slam dunk by far. im 40 eps in.)

aldnoah designs are pretty piff. mechs redefining OP and shit with anti-matter shields lol
I couldn't make it through 5 minutes of Death Note before I was like, "dude turn off this fuckshit".

...and lets watch some queens blade.

shamelessness has purpose

Gorillaz

I just finished rewatching the first half of Death Note.

It's mostly bad. I won't be watching the second half, for obvious reasons.
too many jumps in logic and critcal thinking for me to enjoy the 2nd half. I enjoyed the end of Lights character arc. That was really the only part handled well

First half was more fun for the story the 2nd was more fun for character direction

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Had to show love to the god.

"Maybe there've been times were I've been pissed and hated things, but it wasn't from this work. My dad's a no-show, my mom's lush and school sucks, but this job is the one damn thing I'm good at. If all the crap in my life hasn't screwed be up yet, then neither will this and neither will you."

GOAT.

YES!

What I liked most about Yusuke was that while he was a loser in the beginning, he worked his way up but wasn't this ultimate hero character. He was kinda a cocky jerk, but his morals and strength of character shown when they were either unexpected or absolutely necessary.

He was a show guy, not tell, but he wasn't the coolest kid in school.

He was fantastic.

started watching aldnoah to take a break from slam dunk (don't listen to the lies - kuroko anime >>> slam dunk by far. im 40 eps in.)

Currently working my way through Kuroko. It's good shit. Predictable shonen shit. But good shit.

I need Aomine to fall though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ive never seen the anime but the slam dunk manga is good stuff. One of the most intense finales ive experienced in manga. So many good moments.

Kuroko is kinda.....it's for a different crowd

DY_nasty

i keep hearing that the manga is dope but eh

maybe i need to actually get some apps for my phone to start checking for manga. i've been sitting on alita for weeks now. got appleseed coming soon too.
Currently working my way through Kuroko. It's good shit. Predictable shonen shit. But good shit.

i5EOyluSSLqJ.gif

#fuqpractice

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Alita is one of my favorite series ever. Huge fan of Yukito Kishiro

Let me know when you start it

Mortemis

Banned

I don't know man... I didn't expect theses dudes going super saiyan on the court, but I really should've.

Ive never seen the anime but the slam dunk manga is good stuff. One of the most intense finales ive experienced in manga. So many good moments.

I never watched the anime, but yeah the manga is really good. I'm a big fan of Inoue's work, especially Vagabond, but slam dunk wasn't a slump at all. I read Vagabond first and wanted to see his previous work, and seeing the manga's art getting progressively better and then going back to Vagabond was really nice to see on top of a really enjoyable manga.

DY_nasty

Maybe I watch too many fgc streams, but aldnoah zero literally has a zero RUNUP and i'm dying

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I never watched the anime, but yeah the manga is really good. I'm a big fan of Inoue's work, especially Vagabond, but slam dunk wasn't a slump at all. I read Vagabond first and wanted to see his previous work, and seeing the manga's art getting progressively better and then going back to Vagabond was really nice to see on top of a really enjoyable manga.

Have you read Real? I hear it's really good. I just haven't been in the mood for a sports manga, but I want to read it

I'm probably the only person who will stan FLCL from now until eternity. Such a good show (imo).

FLCL is probably the only gainax show that I think deserves the acclaim it gets. I really like it

Edit: I always forget that Gunbuster is a gainax show. That one is my favorite then FLCL

FLCL is one of my favorite shows. Especially when you "get" it and see it isn't just random shit happening. Although Gainax also did Gunbuster/Diebuster which have some of my favorite endings in any series

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I need to rewatch diebuster out of my love for the original becuase I don't remember really liking it

Mortemis

Banned
Have you read Real? I hear it's really good. I just haven't been in the mood for a sports manga, but I want to read it

I have not, but I do plan to buy a volume or two to check it out sooner or later. I've heard good things from it too.

LOL wut? Thinking FLCL is good is a common as fuck opinion. You'd have a harder time finding haters I feel.

Yeah, I don't think I've seen any hate for FLCL, or at least remember seeing any.

maybe i need to actually get some apps for my phone to start checking for manga. i've been sitting on alita for weeks now. got appleseed coming soon too.

i5EOyluSSLqJ.gif

#fuqpractice

im surprised no one Japanese joked about him having some nigga in him? lol

But seriously the way
he demolished Kuroko's team
at the end of Season 1.......hollllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

DominoKid

im surprised no one Japanese joked about him having some nigga in him? lol

But seriously the way he demolished Kuroko's team at the end of Season 1.......hollllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

i really wonder if they got some shit coming in S3 that can top Kise vs Aomine. cause that match was too ill.

Furyous

[Wait til real nigga Akashi Seijuro shows up.
Sad the series ended

What happened to the short quiet dude? Someone spoil me, please. I'm drowning in manga. I've read 500 new titles since January 15th. LOL at the Tale of Eun Aran. The whole manga is funny and the artist has great character designs. Everyone that's read the manga knows what I'm talking about. The MC is a goofy geek version of a dudebro except for the fact that he doesn't have blonde hair or have the party lifestyle.

---

Apparently, I'm such a horrible person that I can clear a Starbucks by walking into it and ordering a drink. I made this flock of young women clear out of their because I ordered a cool lime refresher. What did I do? Walk in with a work shirt and order a drink. They smirked at me as I walked into the establishment. I didn't completely point and laugh at them but more like shot them the fuck your life glare with a smirk because Furyous is a peaceful brand.

Speaking of Starbucks, fuck their iPhone app. It won't let me pick a new card design as my main card. Starbucks paninis are overrated. I will fight someone over a pumpkin spice latte with with six shots of espresso. Y'all can handle liquor but who can take 8 shots of espresso and not double over in pain?

You know what it is.

Been catching up with the latest chapters of Claymore. Shit is finally about to end, which is good.

Now if only a certain author can stop slackin' and get back to work on his own series.

i hope they do a reboot of the anime similar to hunter x hunter and finish it with the new material

The first bold makes the second bold pointless :3

With that stated Aomine was still the truth. I always laughed how all of the generation of miracles names are based on their hair color (except Kuroko obviously); talk about laziness.

i5EOyluSSLqJ.gif

#fuqpractice

Aomine vs Kagami right after
Kagami enters the zone
has some fucking sick animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom