• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortemis

Banned
im watching this vid of NZ doing the haka vs Team USA. our whole squad looking like
bv6ye.png

Yo I was watching this on ESPN and shit had me speechless. Until I saw their faces, shit had me dying.

If only NZ wasn't garbage, would've been even more entertaining.

Im gonna be real. I will not be playing Destiny.

Its good and fun but I would rather be playing something else. Probably just gonna save up loot to get a 4. My mistake, im gonna get a TV first.

RedSwirl

Amazon struck oil with the Kindle and it seems like they've been trying to recapture that moment ever since as far as hardware.

Amazon struck oil because they were kinda there first. Or at least the Kindle was the first eReader to make it big.

Everywhere else they're just following. The Fire Phone is probably looked at as "like the iPhone BUT..." The Kindle Fire is "like the iPad BUT...." The Fire TV is "like all the Android boxes BUT..." Google has the same problem, but Android works as an open alternative to the closed iOS. Amazon can't just put out their own version of Android and expect it to compete.

Microsoft got it worse though. Everything they've done in consumer electronics after Xbox has been "like what Apple is doing BUT..."

I've started to see that in tech, the real successes are the ones who come out with the initiative. It's probably the reason Nintendo refuses to follow what Sony and Microsoft have been doing for the last decade. They want that initiative back. They don't want to make a system that's "like PlayStation BUT..." They had that initiative for a little bit with the Wii but dropped it.

jWILL253

Banned
I gotta tell this story, yo.

So, there's this local community center that I like to go to in my free time. Shit ain't fancy, though. It's in a run-down ass building in Tacoma that has been empty for most of the time I've lived here, but SpaceWorks (a local nonprofit) takes buildings like this and licenses them to local community organizations to use. So a local group by the name of Fab-5 took the building and decided to create a community center that teaches DJ'ing/music production, breakdancing, and graffiti. Shit is dope as hell.

Anyways, they have a makeshift recording & production studio in building (the booth is made out of a old phone booth with some soundproofing foam and a blanket thrown on top of it to block/absorb sound. Shit is dope as fuck), so I go there to perfect my craft. A friend of mine runs that part of the building and would let me stay late night to work on my own projects, as well as let me watch his recording sessions with his group.

But, let me tell you what this fool did last week during a late night session, y'all. So, the dude that runs the studio is a weed head, and likes to roll up in between sessions. I don't smoke, so I don't pay it no mind. But one night, a bunch of niggas that we both know from the neighborhood decide to show up and kick it, so my man's decides to roll up a blunt indoors. I'm sitting there like
qpk3a.png
, like how you gon' risk getting caught like this. So, I pull him to the side and tell him "Be careful, bro. Those white folks at the bike shop next door like to pop up some nights, and who knows what they seeing and telling the other staff members here. Also, the two main staff members could also roll up at any minute, so watch yourself."

He says, "Yeah, I feel what you sayin'.", and continues to roll. So, I just shrug and go back in the front where I sit when I'm watching Logic tutorials.

Fast forward about 20 minutes, and guess who walks in the front door? The two main staff members. One of them forgot his bike, and decided to catch a ride from his co-worker to get it. So, my man's is outside, in front of the building, cheefin' with the other niggas that showed up. I'm inside looking like
iHb9wHfwdTWrF.jpg

So, my man's gon' try to hide the other blunt he rolled in his fist on some slick shit. The staff members ain't make no kinda scene, they just got the bike, chopped it up with us, dapped us up, and rolled out. After they left, I'm looking at my man's like
lV2kE.png

Fast forward through the weekend. I show up Monday night to do a session, but I catch one of the staff members closing up shop. I chop it up with him and ask him had he seen the dude who runs the studio. He tells me no, and says he took away his key for cheefin' in front of the building. I'm like
iX3BFNxgp3IPF.jpg

But I'm low-key pissed because that is gonna set back my EP schedule like crazy
ipJ3tahcspXsG.png
. So yeah, he's the homie, but fuck this nigga for the time being.

So fam, they got me on night shift for the today and tomorrow. Normally I would be cranking out some shit but i actually need something to listen to. We did this a while back and a couple OT's ago but its a new OT and a lotsa new members of the family. So heres my question:

I need shit to listen to. Links if you can. Mello, electronic, dub I dont give a damn just post some music.

This is why I haven't bought any tablet yet.

Every time I get the urge, I remind myself that its just a bigger smartphone without the phone.
that's why i got a Surface Pro.

i'm cool with my Note 2 generally. today should be nice.

Chicken broccoli and garlic sauce. I'm basic lol
Or for something real nostalgic and when i'm really craving it we get what me and my sis call the hood special Chinese food

And their or our own home made iced tea.
the nigga special!

Fried Chicken and French Fries? You can make that at home bruh.

we can make burgers better than mcdonalds at home too breh.

Why go to a Chinese place and get fried chicken and fries?

That's like going to a steak house and getting a burger.

that's like going to Red Lobster and getting chicken. based on a true story.

We is our own worst enemy fam

I dunno if this is about me or about people not liking A1 on beef and broccoli.

So fam, they got me on night shift for the today and tomorrow. Normally I would be cranking out some shit but i actually need something to listen to. We did this a while back and a couple OT's ago but its a new OT and a lotsa new members of the family. So heres my question:

I need shit to listen to. Links if you can. Mello, electronic, dub I dont give a damn just post some music.

There's a pretty good hour-forty mix of Pendulum's stuff on Youtube here.

My friend Steven McDonald (Jellycrackers on GAF) has four whole albums up of middle-of-the-road cinematic orchestral stuff.

Mick Gordon of Killer Instinct (2013) fame has also put up some fairly long teaser suites for KI and Wolfenstein TNO.

If it's your thing, Team Teamwork does a lot of mixes including rap-versus-videogame-OSTs that could keep you busy for a few hours. Just about all of his albums are pay-what-you-want because he can't legally charge for extensively sampling so many songs, so it amounts to a ton of content.

If you want some original GAF content, Gaming Art Musica Electronia is some kinda dated synth work that spans six albums, but the tagging on m0dus' site is a little off because of the old-internet-era collaborative nature of it. I uploaded the entire six-volume collection to OneDrive with correct track numbers and typos fixed, as well as a standardized album label system. Its spiritual successor, THE GAF TAPE, is also available for free on Bandcamp.

Normally I would paint this elaborate scene. I would ask you to "imagine if you will" but not this go round. I am gonna be blunt. To the point. I live by a couple rules in life that have kept me sane and prospering. These rules havent been in play for a while but its time to implement them yet again.

1: Do for me.
2: If its not a necessity, dont fuck anyone over.
3: Dont forget shit.

Every little detail in life can hinge on a single decision.

I told myself after my liberation that I was gonna walk forward and do a lot of things with friends and hang out and have game nights and etc. I didnt do any of it. I spent the next couple days searching for a place to rest my head. I went to one place and they told me I couldnt afford it. No negotiating, no discussion. I didnt have time to get angry. I walked with my head held low. Besides the blowjob from a a week ago, I had ran out of self esteem. I was almost broke down to 12 dollars and payday was a day away. I had to come up with something quick. And then it hit me. I had a friend I didnt trust much but I reached out. He hipped me to his spot and I gave it a shot. 35 minutes later, I had a contract signed, 300 knocked off first month, free washer and dryer and no extenuating fees to pay. Only problem is I couldnt move in for another 16 days. I called up moms and explained the situation. She said "boy you have survived worse." I took those words to heart, and went back to where I laid my head. Moms once again helped me out. She had lent me an old flip phone circa 2003, to use since she who would not be named cut my shit off. I took it as her way of striking back. I was not deterred or amused. All the while this was happening, moms had been shielding me from things I didnt know were going on. Behind the scenes, she who will not be named was texting moms for my whereabouts. At this time moms thought it was harmless, but in reality it was malicious intent. And all the while, who was throwing her off the scent. Moms.

Family is an amazing thing. When you are at your lowest, family will come through. Family doesnt have to be blood either. So dont get what I am saying twisted.

Payday rolled around. I had already spoke to moms and said I had to upgrade this phone. We went to the provider and negotiated. I didnt have to say much of anything. I began to see where I got my speechcraft skill from. It was genetic. I only had one choice in phones, (Samsung Galaxy S5 active) and had to come out of pocket 12 bucks. Like I said, I see where I got it from. But I am telling you all this to lead to this point. One of the requirements was I had to recycle my old phone. Memories. Pictures. All that would be gone. It was my liberation. I did what I had to.

But.....

I looked at the clerk. Flirted a little. It didnt matter I wasnt her flavor. Moms laughed at my misjudgement. But I digress, I asked what would be the one thing that kept me out of jail. The one decision that hinged everything.

"Is there any way to save anything and transfer it over to my new phone?"

Again, no idea that in a little over 2 months the words out of the clerks mouth would be music to my ears.

" I can save your text messages"

Sure, why not.

Marinate on that, until next time. I promise the next verse will be a little more on "par". I mean every man has to "christen" his place.

How many. I'm 24 and got two years left on my degree :/

I think Hakas are dope but should be strictly rugby (and tbh football too maybe) only

25 and should be about done at the end of 2016. Got like 20 classes left.

Didn't take courses seriously early on and changed my major once. Doing Accounting, will probably do Finance right after since there's a lot of overlap in coursework or maybe just MBA.

FreeMufasa

Normally I would paint this elaborate scene. I would ask you to "imagine if you will" but not this go round. I am gonna be blunt. To the point. I live by a couple rules in life that have kept me sane and prospering. These rules havent been in play for a while but its time to implement them yet again.

1: Do for me.
2: If its not a necessity, dont fuck anyone over.
3: Dont forget shit.

Every little detail in life can hinge on a single decision.

I told myself after my liberation that I was gonna walk forward and do a lot of things with friends and hang out and have game nights and etc. I didnt do any of it. I spent the next couple days searching for a place to rest my head. I went to one place and they told me I couldnt afford it. No negotiating, no discussion. I didnt have time to get angry. I walked with my head held low. Besides the blowjob from a a week ago, I had ran out of self esteem. I was almost broke down to 12 dollars and payday was a day away. I had to come up with something quick. And then it hit me. I had a friend I didnt trust much but I reached out. He hipped me to his spot and I gave it a shot. 35 minutes later, I had a contract signed, 300 knocked off first month, free washer and dryer and no extenuating fees to pay. Only problem is I couldnt move in for another 16 days. I called up moms and explained the situation. She said "boy you have survived worse." I took those words to heart, and went back to where I laid my head. Moms once again helped me out. She had lent me an old flip phone circa 2003, to use since she who would not be named cut my shit off. I took it as her way of striking back. I was not deterred or amused. All the while this was happening, moms had been shielding me from things I didnt know were going on. Behind the scenes, she who will not be named was texting moms for my whereabouts. At this time moms thought it was harmless, but in reality it was malicious intent. And all the while, who was throwing her off the scent. Moms.

Family is an amazing thing. When you are at your lowest, family will come through. Family doesnt have to be blood either. So dont get what I am saying twisted.

Payday rolled around. I had already spoke to moms and said I had to upgrade this phone. We went to the provider and negotiated. I didnt have to say much of anything. I began to see where I got my speechcraft skill from. It was genetic. I only had one choice in phones, (Samsung Galaxy S5 active) and had to come out of pocket 12 bucks. Like I said, I see where I got it from. But I am telling you all this to lead to this point. One of the requirements was I had to recycle my old phone. Memories. Pictures. All that would be gone. It was my liberation. I did what I had to.

But.....

I looked at the clerk. Flirted a little. It didnt matter I wasnt her flavor. Moms laughed at my misjudgement. But I digress, I asked what would be the one thing that kept me out of jail. The one decision that hinged everything.

"Is there any way to save anything and transfer it over to my new phone?"

Again, no idea that in a little over 2 months the words out of the clerks mouth would be music to my ears.

" I can save your text messages"

Sure, why not.

Marinate on that, until next time. I promise the next verse will be a little more on "par". I mean every man has to "christen" his place.

Riovanne??

Whats happened? Did you split with your wife?

Jado

Banned
When you realize the amount of classes you still need to take

fFo9b.png

Occasionally still have bad dreams where I'm stuck in another semester of college and I'm frustrated cuz I can't or don't know what to register for in order to graduate. Also sometimes accompanied by unfinished huge project and final exam for which I'm horribly unprepared.

Few bumps aside, I graduated without much difficulty and got a job in my major right out of school, so not sure why these shitty dreams pop up once in a while. Probably work stress and ongoing yearlong projects. Hate stuff that's months from being done. Dwells on the subconscious.

From this point forward officially known as Shinrakyu-tekipo 「侵略的歩」。

The world becomes undone.

Too long, gotta shorten it to 侵歩, and don't forget the black. 黒侵歩-kokushinpo

I missed out on the move list while I was in the penalty box.

萎人眼 (ijin-gan: human withering eye)
黒獣爆進 (kokuju-bakushin: black beast explosive tackle)
堕天使緑煙光 (datenshi ryokuenkō: fallen angel green smoke ray)

Too long, gotta shorten it to 侵歩, and don't forget the black. 黒侵歩-kokushinpo

I missed out on the move list while I was in the penalty box.

萎人眼 (ijin-gan: human withering eye)
黒獣爆進 (kokuju-bakushin: black beast explosive tackle)
堕天使緑煙光 (datenshi ryokuenkō: fallen angel green smoke ray)

ya'll bet not be teachin this to outsiders

He's trying to defend himself over his rape case, but he does it extremely poorly. Particularly the part where he goes "people who have really been raped remember". He's falling into all of the "rapist 101 traps". And doing it on Twitter didn't help anything.

That is just sad to watch.

So many things fall under the genre of 'electronic', it's a great supergenre for me. Here's a selection of my favourites at the moment.

Pure chip | Try track 10
Futuresynth (apparently a genre based around stuff like Kavinsky) | Try track 2
DY pointed me at this thanks friend
Slow-build chiptune dubstep ??? | Try track 1 or check out his other albums
Harmonious, fast-moving soundscapes | Try track 3
Fast, vaguely chippy electronic | Try track 1
The kind of delicious arpeggios that remind me why I started listening to chiptune, mixed with nice builds/breaks | Try track 3

There's also this if you're not feeling too electronic right at the moment:
Mellow soft-rock(?) with a little bit of bleep | Try track 2, 3

Hope you find something you like.

Slayven

What did Dreams do to acquire this reputation?

Dream has the voice of God

Dream's voice is Quincy John's career in audio form.

Dream's voice can get a woman pregnant at 30 yards.

If Dreams told a cop to "stop and don't shoot" the cop would actually do it.

KumaJG

Occasionally still have bad dreams where I'm stuck in another semester of college and I'm frustrated cuz I can't or don't know what to register for in order to graduate. Also sometimes accompanied by unfinished huge project and final exam for which I'm horribly unprepared.

Few bumps aside, I graduated without much difficulty and got a job in my major right out of school, so not sure why these shitty dreams pop up once in a while. Probably work stress and ongoing yearlong projects. Hate stuff that's months from being done. Dwells on the subconscious.

I still have dreams about my senior year. The most stressful of college for me. If I could go back in time I would take advantage of the psychiatrist just to ease the burden. After college I was on a mental shutdown for months bruh.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dreams' voice could make Paula Deen cook low-fat meals

Dreams was on the phone with Snowden

Dreams told Paula Patton she could do better

justjohn

I'm definitely sticking with it, and I'm having a good time. I just found myself in a bit of a rut early on where two out of every three runs I'd get so little gold that I couldn't upgrade anything. Getting better now though, I'm branching outside of the castle and chasing down that gold.

Don't confuse 'racism ain't like that in the UK' with 'there is no racism in the UK'. I know plenty of people sadly believe the latter though.

Ah, the same meek police terrified of PC and afraid of being seen as racist? Surely not

SmokyDave

Ah, the same meek police terrified of PC and afraid of being seen as racist? Surely not
Our police won't fuck with those Pakistani muslims*, but black people are afforded no such concession. Same ol' stop-and-search disparities, same ol' disproportionate conviction rates.

Edit: I shouldn't have written out that first sentence so flippantly. I've added the word 'those' to make it clear I was talking with justjohn about something specific.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Dream has the voice of God

Dream's voice is Quincy John's career in audio form.

Dream's voice can get a woman pregnant at 30 yards.

If Dreams told a cop to "stop and don't shoot" the cop would actually do it.

Dreams' voice could make Paula Deen cook low-fat meals

Dreams was on the phone with Snowden

Dreams told Paula Patton she could do better

Brutal, yet accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom