• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Banned
hA1A989CB

esco pls

JFC. It really is literally every other game with this franchise. OG sucked, 2 is fantastic, 3 disappoints, 4 is a universal fave, Unity is apparently tanking.

Honestly, Unity isn't that bad. I'd say the problem was in restarting from scratch. They had to do it eventually, so Unity takes the hit because Black Flag was a goddamn polished diamond after seven years of development iteration.

I still enjoy it. Probably more than III.

Our long-ass review. And our video review, with my voice and gameplay.

Malyse

Honestly, Unity isn't that bad. I'd say the problem was in restarting from scratch. They had to do it eventually, so Unity takes the hit because Black Flag was a goddamn polished diamond after seven years of development iteration.

I still enjoy it. Probably more than III.

Our long-ass review. And our video review, with my voice and gameplay.

I'll see what my little spitfire thinks of it. She loves the franchise, so I basically take what she says to heart.

FyreWulff

Hey Fyre, missed you around these parts. You might have been unbanned for a while, I just now noticed. Glad you are back.

Thought you forgot about us.

Just enjoying that I dropped ~halo engine knowledge~ in that one gaming side thread, people told me I didn't know what i was talking about

And then everything I told them would happen for the MCC did.

(let me enjoy this one)

Also it's clear MS is not coordination their 6 developers well for Halo releases. You would think Microsoft's love for 8 layers of middle management would prevent that, but nope. MCC Halo 3 matchmaking is post-patch balance but the launch map variants. Left hand doesn't talk to the right hand. Seriously nobody could just go pull the latest map variants out of the Halo 3 360 files?

Slayven

Just enjoying that I dropped ~halo engine knowledge~ in that one gaming side thread, people told me I didn't know what i was talking about

And then everything I told them would happen for the MCC did.

(let me enjoy this one)

Also it's clear MS is not coordination their 6 developers well for Halo releases. You would think Microsoft's love for 8 layers of middle management would prevent that, but nope. MCC Halo 3 matchmaking is post-patch balance but the launch map variants. Left hand doesn't talk to the right hand. Seriously nobody could just go pull the latest map variants out of the Halo 3 360 files?
I remember that, your third eye saw it coming.

Middle Managers ruin everything.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I absolutely believe games are one of the worst mediums for telling a story based on what already exists. That isn't to say they can't have great storytelling or that storytelling can't be done in new and exciting ways using video games, because I have experienced both. But as a medium I honestly believe it will always be a very challenging decision if a creator's primary concern is to tell a story. The best game stories that stand the test of time will always be complimented by and supportive to the gameplay itself.

Malyse

I absolutely believe games are one of the worst mediums for telling a story based on what already exists. That isn't to say they can't have great storytelling or that storytelling can't be done in new and exciting ways using video games, because I have experienced both. But as a medium I honestly believe it will always be a very challenging decision if a creator's primary concern is to tell a story. The best game stories that stand the test of time will always be complimented by and supportive to the gameplay itself.
That's part of my goal. I want to aggressively innovative with the very nature of game storytelling. Imagine a game where the narrative you experience is custom crafted for you as an individual. Where the choices are not binary but rather decided based on how you play the game itself.
That being?
I am a crazy person.
I want to make my game at Nintendo as a new IP for them.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That's part of my goal. I want to aggressively innovative with the very nature of game storytelling. Imagine a game where the narrative you experience is custom crafted for you as an individual. Where the choices are not binary but rather decided based on how you play the game itself.]
Players have been burned on this sell before by Peter Molyneux's infamous Fable hyping, Bioware decision tree and dialogue wheel choices that are canonized between games despite previous promises, Bethesda's games etc. The problem is that living up to such an ambitious goal presents significant programming and design challenges beyond just adapting narrative to gameplay. Which is why so many developers end up succumbing to binary decision paths rather than something more free-form that has yet to be achieved from a technical standpoint. That being said if you feel strongly about it still you should pursue, I don't think Miyamoto is discouraging it as much as explaining his game creation philosophy has never been very much story-focused. If you are able to create such an experience I would certainly play it.

Getting hot on Gaming side, Besada and Bish going to have to roll out the clappers.

Which thread? Unity reviews?

"I tried to open a treasure chest, but was told I needed the Assassin’s Creed companion app to open it, with no additional information or context."

"When I paused the game, the second option in the pause menu is an eStore that lets you spend real money on time-saving boosts, bonus in-game currency, and so-on."

lmao

Yeah, I had that problem.

The negative side is all the damn online account connections needed to fully enjoy the game. Here's an example: around the city there's different colored treasure chests appearing on your map. White chests are simple; find them and open them. Red chests require lockpicking. Blue chests require you to use the Assassin's Creed Unity Companion app - which is rather impressive and robust for an add-on experience - to access them. Finally, yellow chests need a valid AC Initiates account to open.

Most of my playthrough, the Initiates site was simply down. Even when it was up, I needed to download the Uplay app, log into Uplay, go back into the game, try to open the chest, load up Initiates in my web browser, create an Initiates account, and then hope the whole thing would sync up in-game. It was annoying juggling accounts and apps just to open a chest. Now that it's all hooked-up, it's not as trying, but starting the whole machine up seemed needlessly complex.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
"Pls download this app, pls sign up for our website to get this in-game". That shit would not fly in any game for me, ever, period. You're asking me to do a bunch of stupid superfluous bullshit, outside of the stupid superfluous bullshit you already coded into the game, just to unlock content in the game I already paid for? Get lost.

Malyse

Players have been burned on this sell before by Peter Molyneux's infamous Fable hyping, Bioware decision tree and dialogue wheel choices that are canonized between games despite previous promises, Bethesda's games etc. The problem is that living up to such an ambitious goal presents significant programming and design challenges beyond just adapting narrative to gameplay. Which is why so many developers end up succumbing to binary decision paths rather than something more free-form that has yet to be achieved from a technical standpoint. That being said if you feel strongly about it still you should pursue, I don't think Miyamoto is discouraging it as much as explaining his game creation philosophy has never been very much story-focused. If you are able to create such an experience I would certainly play it.

I actually have a really simple concept that I don't think anyone has tried before.

Idk how feeable a choice system like that is. I mean the reason I like fallout sans 3(I do like 3 btw but not for the same reasons I'm about to list.) is that while choice is mostly binary at the same time it isn't thanks to the ending slides at the end of the and sometimes thanks to the game changing as you play. For example Tandi in Fallout only gets kidnapped by Raiders if you leave both of them alone for awhile. If you kill the raiders(who you can meet very early on before she gets kidnapped) she doesn't get kidnapped. If you kill her well....she doesn't get kidnapped. There are better examples mind you but I like the way fallout has typically done choice.

Even after playing Bioshock Infinite and its commentary on the illusion of choice in games, I still feel like Fallout does a very good job at masking it. Sans 3 of course.

People complaining about these issues and stuff.....and I'm like...

Haven't games always been like this? Like early in a consoles or generation's life you get some buggy shit but typically later on stuff is more polished but shit creeps through. People claiming "Oh its because they can just patch it." well yeah...that wasn't a thing back then either and you had to live with bugs pretty much....idk

So this guy I work with who's a bit older than me was telling me about Unity for a solid two weeks and he was mad hype. He just went to buy the game at lunch and he came back mad excited and chit cause he bought Unity/Rouge.

While he's telling me all of this I have the Review thread open like
mjl.gif

Didn't have the heart to tell him to check out the reviews. Don't gotta ruin shit for people breh.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
People complaining about these issues and stuff.....and I'm like...

Haven't games always been like this? Like early in a consoles or generation's life you get some buggy shit but typically later on stuff is more polished but shit creeps through. People claiming "Oh its because they can just patch it." well yeah...that wasn't a thing back then either and you had to live with bugs pretty much....idk

Even if it was the case back then, there is zero reason for it to be now. The upgrades in technology and the focus of certain games, makes this even more clear.

If I buy a game, that requires the online functionality to work, and the devs don't have their shit together, then I'm buying a frisbee. As a consumer, that shit shouldn't slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom