• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I absolutely believe games are one of the worst mediums for telling a story based on what already exists. That isn't to say they can't have great storytelling or that storytelling can't be done in new and exciting ways using video games, because I have experienced both. But as a medium I honestly believe it will always be a very challenging decision if a creator's primary concern is to tell a story. The best game stories that stand the test of time will always be complimented by and supportive to the gameplay itself.

Well said.

Trey

Weird. I think games have the potential to be the most immersive storytelling media we have available to us. It will take some creative minds, for one, and the tech to complement said creativity.

Well said.

Eh, I just think games are just not used telling stories as a medium. Movies started off with horses running and shit and was mostly a spectacle before things started moving.

Once games start to get past the spectacle era and more into properly fusing story and gameplay we should be good.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
My bad you guys, I forgot to bold which portions I agreed with.

Tbh, I do think that the lack of great story telling in games is attributed to lack of passion. A lot of games have some engaging stories and the ones that don't really deserve better writers. It seems like its so difficult for the ones who suck at story telling, and I find that's not a good excuse, but if they are more focused on gameplay, I can see why they struggle.

For example, my best friends are tremendous artists and fantastic with their craft, however, they always struggle developing storylines. The opposite is true for myself. I'm a terrible artist but great story writer. There are many who excel in both but sometimes, there's a pretty big gap that needs to be filled.

I agree with you two. We need some creative minds involved in games to make the stories more effective because in this day and age, a downright terrible story is unacceptable. You need a motive for your characters to do what they do. Without it, they are empty and void of well, character.

Malyse

Tbh, I do think that the lack of great story telling in games is attributed to lack of passion. A lot of games have some engaging stories and the ones that don't really deserve better writers. It seems like its so difficult for the ones who suck at story telling, and I find that's not a good excuse, but if they are more focused on gameplay, I can see why they struggle.

For example, my best friends are tremendous artists and fantastic with their craft, however, they always struggle developing storylines. The opposite is true for myself. I'm a terrible artist but great story writer. There are many who excel in both but sometimes, there's a pretty big gap that needs to be filled.

I agree with you two. We need some creative minds involved in games to make the stories more effective because in this day and age, a downright terrible story is unacceptable. You need a motive for your characters to do what they do. Without it, they are empty and void of well, character.
Interesting.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Thanks ishi. Another thing to keep in mind is that Miyamoto's words (and my post) are responding in context to "'What can games learn from film?". I think games should forge their own path in terms of storytelling because trying to directly force or focus a narrative based on traditional means such as film or literature does not work very well. Mike brings up a good point with Fallout as an example of direct consequences based on how a player acts in a game that isn't necessarily based on a binary decision but could simply be a consequence of inaction or organic progression (if said character is dead, obviously their story ends there). Gameplay absolutely has to be considered when crafting a story, and hopefully we see that fusion develop better as time progresses rather than the current trend of AAA games simply aping blockbuster style movie plots.

Trey

Thanks ishi. Another thing to keep in mind is that Miyamoto's words (and my post) are responding in context to "'What can games learn from film?". I think games should forge their own path in terms of storytelling because trying to directly force or focus a narrative based on traditional means such as film or literature does not work very well in my opinion. Mike brings up a good point with Fallout. Gameplay absolutely has to be considered when crafting a story, and hopefully we see that fusion develop better as time progresses rather than the current trend of AAA games simply aping blockbuster style movie plots.

Okay I agree with this. Games need to be their own thing.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro

You know it's a good post when you can't even type a response and can just enjoy reading said post.

Okay I agree with this. Games need to be their own thing.
Absolutely this. Rock and hip hop never looked for acceptance with the rest of the music industry. They did their own thing and were respected for it. But for some reason the game industry is always looking to be accepted by film and the like.

Malyse

Idk how feeable a choice system like that is. I mean the reason I like fallout sans 3(I do like 3 btw but not for the same reasons I'm about to list.) is that while choice is mostly binary at the same time it isn't thanks to the ending slides at the end of the and sometimes thanks to the game changing as you play. For example Tandi in Fallout only gets kidnapped by Raiders if you leave both of them alone for awhile. If you kill the raiders(who you can meet very early on before she gets kidnapped) she doesn't get kidnapped. If you kill her well....she doesn't get kidnapped. There are better examples mind you but I like the way fallout has typically done choice.

Even after playing Bioshock Infinite and its commentary on the illusion of choice in games, I still feel like Fallout does a very good job at masking it. Sans 3 of course.
My concept is similar in scope to this.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I can't really disagree with him on a supremely basic level, but overall...nah.

Set design = set design
NPCs = Background characters/extras
Lighting = lighting
sound = sound
color timing = color timing
etc...

All of these are things that got shared with film, the instant 3D became a thing, and it doesn't have to just reference cutscenes. They aren't the games he's interested in making, but it is what it is.

What I do wish, is that the ones that are just jacking hollywood would be a bit more creative with what their doing and experiment with balancing the aspects. Maybe once we get over the pure spectacle driven, blockbuster, more, more, more aspect, that's mainstream at the moment, there can be a bit less linearity. Probably not.

Malyse

All that being said, I would like more movie folk to get involve in games. For example, I really like what James Gunn contributed to Lollipop Chainsaw, what Alex Garland did for Enslaved, and what Josef Fares did with Brothers. Good film makers tell story well (same with good writers). I think it would be foolish to completely ignore their ability due to a different medium.

Between MCC launching with a 15gb "patch" for multiplayer that doesn't even fuckin work, and Assassin's Creed Unity combination of pre-order bonues, macrotranscations, graphic parity, awful performance, and release date embargo on reviews, I'm feeling very good about AAA video games today.

Buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Between MCC launching with a 15gb "patch" for multiplayer that doesn't even fuckin work, and Assassin's Creed Unity combination of pre-order bonues, macrotranscations, graphic parity, awful performance, and release date embargo on reviews, I'm feeling very good about AAA video games today.

Buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Amen.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
It comes down to this basically: devs who excel at gameplay aren't likely to be great with stories, so it's only fair we don't demand that from them. However, creative writers should be utilized more in their stead because games should have decent stories like any other media does as well. There's no excuses for crappy story telling when writers can easily remedy that. I think it's absolutely a lack of passion for story that results in the plot fails we see often now. So, let's hire better writers to compliment the gameplay and put this problem to rest.

I might be getting a Wii U this Friday.

I'm scared.

Calm down Professor, now is not the time for fear.

tumblr_inline_mzk8chC5xv1rxc9sr.gif

That comes later.

I know it's Doctor...

I tried to be strong and resist Amiibo. Nintendo, the clever bastards attacked all my weak points at once.

Spinner in Hyrule Warriors.

Zelda AND Shiek Amiibo.

Shulk.

And the final straw:

Pray for me BCT, I'm going to buy them all.

Of course I choose the one week to get a Wii U when there's no sales for the damn thing. Yeah I know about the refurb deals, but I don't really wanna wait for them to ship it to me.

I bought one earlier this year during the Mario Kart 8 promotion and I don't regret it one bit. I was a big hater on the Gamepad too before I bought it, go figure! lol.

Edit: Not gonna lie, that Sonic amiibo has my wallet feeling shook.

I'm right there with you. All they need to do is announce a Light Suit Samus one and I may as well sell my kidneys now.

EDIT: It's even got me looking at these damned Disney Infinity things. I don't even want to play the game. I just want Spider-Man.

Can't buy it on your lunch or something? Or do you mean it's gonna sell out too fast?

Specifically on Black Friday weekend, we're not allowed to buy anything unless we're completely off the clock, which means no lunch breaks. That was the policy last year, at least, so I don't know if they're changing it this year.

Ugh, we have a bunch of rookies in the store too, and not nearly enough people in the warehouse to help out. My store is FUCKED

Malyse

I'm right there with you. All they need to do is announce a Light Suit Samus one and I may as well sell my kidneys now.

EDIT: It's even got me looking at these damned Disney Infinity things. I don't even want to play the game. I just want Spider-Man.

Disney Infinity is the shit. I would suggest you get the PC version (free) and then you can import your figure into the game.

Gave up on Halo multiplayer today. Will play when Frankie comes down with the hot patch to fix all the random crashes/booting/matchmaking load times/kicked out of games/hard freezes/etc.

Thank god for Mario Kart 8 DLC this weekend fam...Nintendo free online providing better experience/value than XBL Gold, what a world we live in

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
That creepy pasta thread. A lot of that shit is like, "yea...okay. No restraint having writers." The Pete The moonshiner story has me speechless though. wow

G-Fex

BTW, Big Hero 6 beat Interstellar.

Which is too bad. I really think Interstellar was entertaining and overall a good story. Wouldn't watch it ever again but probably was worth a monday afternoon viewing.

Oh and ViewtifulJC, I'm a speedrunner now, with a consistant viewer count. Get rekt son. GG, have fun with your salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom