• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Tell me how am I supposed to feel about this chick I'm talking to asking me what verbose means? Like you're 22 and in college. Shouldn't you know that word already?

Man I listened to folks in my office debate how to spell "entries" on a poster for a good 5 mins today before I just did it for them. I'd just look past it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Tell me how am I supposed to feel about this chick I'm talking to asking me what verbose means? Like you're 22 and in college. Shouldn't you know that word already?

that shit ain't normal diction and people from 17 to 49 could be on their first day in college

at least she showed up to class

Silky

Banned
I like the new Batgirl redesign.

Batgirl_III_Uniform_1.jpg

but Cassandra Cain.

rambis

Banned
First time seeing this thread but hopefully I can get some incite here.

So I'm originally American, African American if we still call it that and im currently living as an expat in Europe. Been here almost 7 years so quite used to it.

I'm in Amsterdam for the week. Hanging out at a coffee shop and I happen to brush up on this gorgeous blond. We smoke and talk and get into good conversation. And the question of our origins came about. She's from shady third world eastern Europe and apparently her family made a great escape west many decades ago. We get to me and I tell her I was from America, born and raised, and it just threw her for a loop. In Europe the vast majority of blacks are mostly maybe one or two generations removed from Africa. So her applying what she is used to knowing to the situation then presses to find out where I'm really from. People from America are white she says.

So at this point I felt an awkwardness and nervousness that I've literally never felt before. I don't know if it was the weed or whatever but I was honestly ashamed or maybe terrified to detail the old slave trade and how Black's in America came to be to this chick that legitimately had no clue. Is this normal? I can't imagine too many people have ever been in this situation. What would you have done?

TL;DR

Met a chick who didn't know about America's slave trade. Was ashamed to tell her that I'm american because my people were slaves. Help!!

So I'm originally American, African American if we still call it that and im currently living as an expat in Europe. Been here almost 7 years so quite used to it.

I'm in Amsterdam for the week. Hanging out at a coffee shop and I happen to brush up on this gorgeous blond. We smoke and talk and get into good conversation. And the question of our origins came about. She's from shady third world eastern Europe and apparently her family made a great escape west many decades ago. We get to me and I tell her I was from America, born and raised, and it just threw her for a loop. In Europe the vast majority of blacks are mostly maybe one or two generations removed from Africa. So her applying what she is used to knowing to the situation then presses to find out where I'm really from. People from America are white she says.

So at this point I felt an awkwardness and nervousness that I've literally never felt before. I don't know if it was the weed or whatever but I was honestly ashamed or maybe terrified to detail the old slave trade and how Black's in America came to be to this chick that legitimately had no clue. Is this normal? I can't imagine too many people have ever been in this situation. What would you have done?

TL;DR

Met a chick who didn't know about America's slave trade. Was ashamed to tell her that I'm american because my people were slaves. Help!!
i would have given her a primer on American history.

TL;DR

ok but does she know what the word "verbose" means

Slayven

TL;DR

Sure tell her, but don't be a dick about it and go Big Brother Bokeem on her.

DY_nasty

some of yal trippin

like yal really that hardcore

dude leads off conversation with "met this gorgeous blond"

cmon

thats called cognitive dick reasoning feedback - when thinking with your dick leads you to believe that you need to act smarter to seal a deal or something lol

people want to talk - let them talk. you need to know if shit is even worth your time before breaking out your review of rosewood

TL;DR

absolutely no reason to make a mountain out of a casual conversation with someone who's never had a reason to understand something like that in the first place. who's actually trying to have history lessons dumped on them at a weed/coffee shop?

DominoKid

TL;DR

you gotta get #militant on her.

rambis

Banned
i would have given her a primer on American history.

You better tell straight up.

give her some knowledge.. you can't fuck with no dumb girl rambis.
Yeah, I know but dude. "Well you see the white people brought my ancestors to America to be slaves" really doesn't roll off the tongue in conversation. Especially to someone who is like a couple months apart in age from you. Plus it was over an hour ago so she's not even in the picture anymore. Did I fuck up by dancing around the answer?

DY_nasty

just saying man

22 is young as hell - and breaking down words, phrases, etc outside of your normal diction is like... part of the road.

no reason to stiff arm someone over that. (especially when there's an infinite number of other reasons out there)

TL;DR

Find a colored chick

DY_nasty

Yeah, I know but dude. "Well you see the white people brought my ancestors to America to be slaves" really doesn't roll off the tongue in conversation. Especially to someone who is like a couple months apart in age from you. Plus it was over an hour ago so she's not even in the picture anymore. Did I fuck up by dancing around the answer?

you fucked up

but not because you 'danced' around the answer. nobody wants to sit down and talk about atrocities man. girl comes up to you in a social spot like that and you shouldn't even be attempting to rap at that level. hell, if it gets anywhere near that you need to bring it back down, make someone laugh, or take another shot/puff/sip while you change the subject to something that doesn't have the potential to shutdown everything immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom