• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Don't make it bait thread, that's how you become a junior membear.

Lol

Nah, I was originally really pissed from that last thread about the slap but now I just have a legit concern about how things are perceived here on GAF. Of course women need to be held accountable for shit. There's terrible women out there. But why can we agree on these matters but not the other feminism discussions? It sucks.

I'm making the thread tomorrow.

RP912

Banned
Yeah. Its on my list, but honestly, most times I skip it. In fact, now that I think about it, the only gaming podcasts that I for real listen to is the Daily Fix which is straight news, Escapist Video Games, Game Design Dojo for obvs reasons, The Game Informer Show, and GameTrailers Video Reviews. The rest are there in case I catch up and have nothing to listen to, cause fuck the radio.

Retronaunts is another good podcast. I haven't listen to it lately but they always come through with the retro goodness.

I used to listen to psnation alot as well....

J10

Banned
As it turns out, men don't like victim blaming when the victim is a man and the assailant is a woman.

I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING.

Malyse

Lol

Nah, I was originally really pissed from that last thread about the slap but now I just have a legit concern about how things are perceived here on GAF. Of course women need to be held accountable for shit. There's terrible women out there. But why can we agree on these matters but not the other feminism discussions? It sucks.

I'm making the thread tomorrow.
If this is about feminism, I can't see this ending well.

Slayven

Anything with Doug Benson makes me want to ram my face into a pitch fork.
He is a terirble weed head now.

Don't make it bait thread, that's how you become a junior membear.

Not even Ghost Rider can hold the bear down

1013873-demonbear1.jpg

strobogo

Banned
He is a terirble weed head now.

Not even Ghost Rider can hold the bear down

It's his ultra passive aggressive dick head shit that I hate so much. Except when there is a bigger or more imposing name around, like Joe Rogan, and then he doesn't pull that shit at all. That dude is a slimy little cunt.

Slayven

Esco is suppose to be the only black dude in the game industsy, but Labor claims to work in it as well. Like The Walking Dead there can't be more than 1 brother in the industry, one of y'all got to be T-Dogged.

ReiGun

Esco is suppose to be the only black dude in the game industsy, but Labor claims to work in it as well. Like The Walking Dead there can't be more than 1 brother in the industry, one of y'all got to be T-Dogged.

Bish works in the industry too.

Niggas breaking the Rule of Three outchea.

Trey

Blackish gets better every week.

Yeah, it turned a corner for me. I never catch it on its air date so I'm always a week behind but it's been consistently good for the last few episodes (Halloween prank episode was just okay, though).

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I don't understand what feminism has to do with the guy slapping that woman.

It's been mentioned a few times in threads like those that women should essentially reap what they sow, and I do agree that women need to be held accountable for things, in this case, violence. But it upsets me that, THAT is technically the only aspect of feminism that men will see eye to eye with us about, but they won't understand the issues we have with catcalling, or freedom to dress as we please without being slut shamed etc.

I guess the fact that not every task requires 100% of your attention escapes you. Thus walking (a rote, automatic activity) and chewing gum (a rote, automatic activity). You do multiple things at once and only be ~actively~ engaged in one of them. Pretty fukken wild, huh? 😏

While you're doing the task at hand you're focused on it and the other thing you're doing is getting done badly. This is why when you read or when you drive you miss half a song without realizing it. Multitasking doesn't work the way you think it does. In fact you more than likely suck at what you call multitasking.

Here:

FLATOW: Yeah, but there are people who say, you know, I'm great at multitasking. I can - I have no problem with this. What do you say to that?

NASS: The research is almost unanimous, which is very rare in social science, and it says that people who chronically multitask show an enormous range of deficits. They're basically terrible at all sorts of cognitive tasks, including multitasking. So...

(LAUGHTER)

NASS: ...in our research, the people who say they're the best at multitasking because they do it all the time. It's a little like smoking, you know, saying, I smoke all the time, so smoking can't be bad for me. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

FLATOW: And it's quite noticeable on tests. You can actually test for that and see the differences going on.

NASS: Yeah. It's...

FLATOW: Yeah.

NASS: Mm-hmm. Yeah. So we have scales that allow us to divide up people into people who multitask all the time and people who rarely do, and the differences are remarkable. People who multitask all the time can't filter out irrelevancy. They can't manage a working memory. They're chronically distracted.

They initiate much larger parts of their brain that are irrelevant to the task at hand. And even - they're even terrible at multitasking. When we ask them to multitask, they're actually worse at it. So they're pretty much mental wrecks.

(LAUGHTER)

FLATOW: Wow. But they don't think they are.

NASS: No. You're...

FLATOW: And that's the danger, right?

NASS: That's right. No, they actually think they're more productive. They actually think they tend to - and most notably, they think they can shut it off, and that's been the most striking aspect of this research.

So yeah you're terrible at it even though you think you're not.

and

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20707868_2,00.html

Read number 3.

J10

Banned
It's been mentioned a few times in threads like those that women should essentially reap what they sow, and I do agree that women need to be held accountable for things, in this case, violence. But it upsets me that, THAT is technically the only aspect of feminism that men will see eye to eye with us about, but they won't understand the issues we have with catcalling, or freedom to dress as we please without being slut shamed etc.

Reasonable people understand this.

G-Fex

There's more than games in the world, you know. What do you like?

I don't know, I don't have much hobbies i'm a pretty boring guy.

I'd say baseball but even then I don't keep up with current baseball and I still need to finish my book on it :\

Listening to the radio makes me want to run the car off the road.

Gaming podcast are almost universally terrible.

He's a good guy (and probably the only black caster on twitch I know of) but ..I don't care about DLC/resolution/season pass issues LOL

No, fuck it. I don't care what you like.
Flex, listen to Serial. Its the number one podcast in the country for a damn good reason.

I'm gonna try sometime.

Comedy podcasts are great

Nobody wants to listen to shitty gaming podcasts. Who's got time to listen to a half hour debate on 900p resolution lmao

True that, I might try, i'm not a big comedy person.

The shit is pretty transparent.

I've given up on expecting too much from the majority of posters and it cuts back on stress

Labor playing the Light Skinned Swords of Revealing Truth trap card. For the next 7 turns he gains the "One of the Good Ones" status effect.

Well, I played my Melanin Wrath card last month and the effect is still active

Makes sense

ReiGun

Damn. Guess I can't hop in, huh?
Why you trying to force diversity on us, man?

Yeah, it turned a corner for me. I never catch it on its air date so I'm always a week behind but it's been consistently good for the last few episodes (Halloween prank episode was just okay, though).

The oldest daughter is still the weak link, but every other character is funny. It's between Bow and Pops for best of the bunch. This week's episode was the best so far.

Malyse

While you're doing the task at hand you're focused on it and the other thing you're doing is getting done badly. This is why when you read or when you drive you miss half a song without realizing it. Multitasking doesn't work the way you think it does. In fact you more than likely suck at what you call multitasking.

Here:

So yeah you're terrible at it even though you think you're not.

and

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20707868_2,00.html

Read number 3.

You aren't paying any attention because you've already decided that you're right on this and you seem to be acting like you have some kind of damage with me, so I'm stepping out of this stupid fucking conversation before someone gets their feelings hurt. All I'll say is that I pity you if you are incapable of doing simple monotonous tasks while focusing on something else, cause its a pretty essential life skill.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
It sucks that so many were hung up on my generalization so much they couldn't explain anything to me. I understand the ones who wanted examples but I was currently battling off so many people, I didn't feel like getting into it with even more of them. That's a lot of back and forth.

But maybe I'll compile something convincing enough by tomorrow. I'm kinda soured on the idea with how hostile the response I got was over a generalization. I mean, if I make a thread, I can't go around pulling quotes from unrelated topics.

*sigh* I ain't even mad. But I hate when GAF proves me right.

Slayven

It sucks that so many were hung up on my generalization so much they couldn't explain anything to me. I understand the ones who wanted examples but I was currently battling off so many people, I didn't feel like getting into it with even more of them. That's a lot of back and forth.

But maybe I'll compile something convincing enough by tomorrow. I'm kinda soured on the idea with how hostile the response I got was over a generalization. I mean, if I make a thread, I can't go around pulling quotes from unrelated topics.

*sigh* I ain't even mad. But I hate when GAF proves me right.
Nitpicking is some folks way of shouting down someone or something.

You aren't paying any attention because you've already decided that you're right on this and you seem to be acting like you have some kind of damage with me, so I'm stepping out of this stupid fucking conversation before someone gets their feelings hurt. All I'll say is that I pity you if you are incapable of doing simple monotonous tasks while focusing on something else, cause its a pretty essential life skill.

Why are you ignoring the study?

Anyways, you in a nut shell:

FLATOW: So they - all because they have been multitasking. They've lost that ability to focus on one thing.

NASS: That's precisely right. Our brains have to be retrained to multitask and our brains, if we do it all the time - brains are remarkably plastic, remarkably adaptable. We train our brains to a new way of thinking. And then when we try to revert our brains back, our brains are plastic but they're not elastic. They don't just snap back into shape.

FLATOW: Can you retrain them to come back?

NASS: We would love to know. It's very hard because frankly in the few studies we've tried to do it, people refuse. It's almost impossible to get a group of people who believe their lives are built around multitasking to stop for two weeks to actually see whether their brains have changed.

The next time you're "listening" to a podcast while doing something else and you have to rewind to a part you missed remember this conversation.

Malyse

Why are you ignoring the study?

Anyways, you in a nut shell:

The next time you're "listening" to a podcast while doing something else and you have to rewind to a part you missed remember this conversation.

Dude, I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. Let it the fuck go.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Trey

so now that the infighting has hit the perfect pitch, it's the perfect time to bring to enter the booze portion of the BCT cycle.

Been making Whiskey Sours and Old Fashioneds a lot lately. What other bourbon cocktails/mixed drinks should I entertain?

Slayven

Y'all won't fight tho

Immortal ate the heart shaped fruit

Dy got that Black Water Splinter Cell type training

Labor went on a training arc to japan to advance the aggressive step form to the next level

Rev got that drunken fist down pat

Rei is from Baltimore

I like breathing too much.

Malyse

so now that the infighting has hit the perfect pitch, it's the perfect time to bring to enter the booze portion of the BCT cycle.

Been making Whiskey Sours and Old Fashioneds a lot lately. What other bourbon cocktails/mixed drinks should I entertain?

We have a booze portion? Cause I'm always drunk.

I keep it simple with rum or hen and coke, or just straight liquor if it's time to get turned up

We need the R for the true wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom