• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

It's about the power of marriage
😒 Its about tits and ass and crotch shots. Its slightly less blatant than Daimidaler and Aika.
which were so bad I dropped them
Playing 3D World now, gonna probably get Smash this week, if my money planning works out. Then maybe some Virtual Console stuff, I dunno yet.
Slightly relieved that Rise of Lyric is not on the list.

NNID?

Malyse

Anime had a good run then.
Naw, unpopular opinion, but Madoka is what saves anime. Three episodes and you'll love it. So much shit after that tried to ape it. And a lot of it was really good, like Wixoss. Fucking Wixoss man.

If you like Psycho Pass (or Fate/Zero), then you owe it to yourself to watch Madoka. But for gods sake, don't research the show. There's a big spoiler that you don't want ruined.

DominoKid

Naw, unpopular opinion, but Madoka is what saves anime. Three episodes and you'll love it. So much shit after that tried to ape it. And a lot of it was really good, like Wixoss. Fucking Wixoss man.

If you like Psycho Pass (or Fate/Zero), then you owe it to yourself to watch Madoka. But for gods sake, don't research the show. There's a big spoiler that you don't want ruined.

*googles*

yeah that's most certainly not it.

Damn this spawned a shitstorm didnt it.

Anywho, im watching Terraformars, finishing TTGL, and might try Space Dandy. But im not into that shit like some of you cats. If its some serious scifi shit Ill give it a shot. Or some if you can watch it with a group and make fun of that shit screaming at the screen like "Goddamn that motherfucker got his soul slapped to the ethereal plane or some shit" type of show. Then you can recommend me that shit.

Gorillaz

Looked up this Ma duke show on google as well

id2oE.png

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Finally finished Space Dandy. It may be the only anime I can tolerate/enjoy. Still need to check out that stuff DY recommended, but Attack on Titan got worse for me after trying to go back to it.
Space Dandy was legitimately amazing.

As in half the time I was watching it I was actually amazed at wtf I was looking at

Space Dandy is the Messiah of anime for the fact they had the narrator say "bring your bae to the vaca if she got the skrilla".
It made me seriously consider if Black Lagoon was gonna be topped after that line
Space Dandy is that anime that makes me want to smack subtitle snobs in the mouth

Dub is too godlike

Is Black Lagoon good

Hell yes.

Crocodile

How is nearly every time I wander in here we are on the anime part of the BCT cycle? Shame there's a bunch of dumbfuckery being said all around that I gotta go and correct.

You would have a point pre 2008

I have no idea if you're trolling or not but LOL could this not be further from the truth if you're being serious.

had dudes tell me KLK was the "savior of anime"

if that shit was suppose to save the genre then it's pretty much fucked

it had good fights and it is fun rewatching them but I ain't trying to let that shit show up in my netflix queue

I've never met somebody who said that that wasn't joking or being ironic. Which isn't to say those people don't exist (they do) but rather I bet a lot of people who you say said that weren't being serious.

So much this.

I only watched it because dudes were acting like it was gonna be the second coming or some shit. Boy was I surprised what they had in store for me.

I think I will finish the season though, just so I can truly see how bad it becomes.

Imaishi bought a LOT of goodwill with Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann (currently airing on Toonami) and he frankly earned it with that show. Most expected KLK to be just as good. Most would agree that it didn't come anywhere close likely due the plot rewrites that happened amongst the fuckery.

The cartoon Starfire is the only good design that character's ever had.

Cartoon Starfire is the only one my brain can handle. Everytime I see an image of comic Starfire my brain just rejects it.

I love anime as a medium and artform, but let's be really real here.

The fringe shit has become mainstream for the anime market. Remember that period from the 90's-2005 where nearly every anime that came stateside was dope? We're in the Opposite Land version of that period.

All we got now is loli/fanservice, mediocre tryhards with the occasional good episode, syndicates that have been on the air wayyyyyyy past their expiration dates, and the occasional diamond in the rough.

A) It's not mainstream at all but as others have mentioned, those who are into that stuff are more than willing to open their wallets and that has an influence on what is produced back in Japan.

B) No not nearly every anime that came stateside from 1990 to 2005 was dope. In fact a ton of it was either shit and/or not to Western tastes which is part of the reason the anime industry in the States had a crash. You just remember the good stuff (because that's kind of how memory tends to work) and have forgotten or were never exposed to the bad stuff.

C) When anime was still "new" in the West, you weren't used to any of the tropes so everything was fresh to you. Also, there was a backlog of the creme de la creme to go through (even though lots of shit came over too). With the internet and streaming in full effect, you now aware of every anime that airs in a season. As per Sturgeon's law, 90% of anime (and books and movies and video games and so on) are crap but now you are well aware of them rather than blissfully ignorant. Overall quality hasn't changed but what you are aware of certainly has.

D)
You were 10-25 years younger during that time frame than you are now. You are probably a more discerning consumer. I can jam with like DBZ because I first saw that shit when I was in middle school and the nostalgia can carry me through today but if I saw that shit for the FIRST time today, I dunno if I would last five episodes.

*googles*

yeah that's most certainly not it.

Just a heads up, but what the show looks like and what its actually about are pretty damn different. If you just look at an image I guess you might think the show is about "cute magical girls do cute things" but that couldn't be further from the truth. Not that you have to like it or anything but if you think you can actually divine what the show is about from just an image, you're wrong.

Damn this spawned a shitstorm didnt it.

Anywho, im watching Terraformars, finishing TTGL, and might try Space Dandy. But im not into that shit like some of you cats. If its some serious scifi shit Ill give it a shot. Or some if you can watch it with a group and make fun of that shit screaming at the screen like "Goddamn that motherfucker got his soul slapped to the ethereal plane or some shit" type of show. Then you can recommend me that shit.

Watch Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and thank me later.

Furyous

FFXIV is still fun for the time being. Mostly because I'm just really going around taking screenshots.

How do people have sex bruh?! It's a mystery! LIKE HOW THEY SEX?!

I'm in that thread dropping knowledge darts left and right. Is there a way to find out who tagged me?

Don't sleep on Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei as a solid piece of anime. That new Gundam series has the ditziest Af-Am character I've seen in a minute.

i told myself it was a scientific discussion about the mechanics of intercourse. i didn't believe my own lies. i did not want to click on the thread and confirm what i already knew.

i stopped at "1. What
exactly happens in between meeting someone at a bar and having sex with them?
" because that was already too much.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Watch Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and thank me later.

Oh shit good look I was just wondering what I was gonna watch next. Was gonna go with Space Adventure Cobra but I wanted something a bit more modern since I'll probably be binge watching G-Reco when I'm through with my next series

Just finished Aldnoah Zero

It was a thing I saw

jWILL253

Banned
Anyone else like Darker than Black?

mynicca1.png

Show ended too early. Like Elfen Lied did.

Naw, unpopular opinion, but Madoka is what saves anime. Three episodes and you'll love it.

Naw, unpopular opinion, but Madoka is what saves anime.

Madoka is what saves anime.

5I5s8.png

i told myself it was a scientific discussion about the mechanics of intercourse. i didn't believe my own lies. i did not want to click on the thread and confirm what i already knew.

i stopped at "1. What

No read the rest of the thread.

and Space Dandy's dub is legit amazing.

Malyse

Yeah, watch the first three episodes then come back.
I'm in that thread dropping knowledge darts left and right. Is there a way to find out who tagged me?

Don't sleep on Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei as a solid piece of anime. That new Gundam series has the ditziest Af-Am character I've seen in a minute.

Do you like Sword Art Online too?

Kreed

i stopped at "1. What

Sometimes I still try to give GAFers the benefit of the doubt. Like maybe so and so OP is 14 years old and doesn't know any better. But then as the thread goes on they are always too damn old to be asking these stupid questions.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Dream you not going to get people here to watch magical girl anime bruh

Madoka is pretty highly regarded. So much so that it kickstarted Gen Urobuchi's career into overdrive.

but not here

I don't really like the series myself, but I respect what people praise in it.

Malyse

Just a heads up, but what the show looks like and what its actually about are pretty damn different. If you just look at an image I guess you might think the show is about "cute magical girls do cute things" but that couldn't be further from the truth. Not that you have to like it or anything but if you think you can actually divine what the show is about from just an image, you're wrong.
This guy knows what's up. Seriously, give Madoka the first three episodes before you tell me to fuck off.

Malyse

Dream you not going to get people here to watch magical girl anime bruh

Madoka is pretty highly regarded. So much so that it kickstarted Gen Urobuchi's career into overdrive.

but not here

I don't really like the series myself, but I respect what people praise in it.

If I thought I could get people to watch Magical Girl anime in general, I would be prepping Heartcatch. Madoka is just a damn fine series and highly regarded with good reason. IMO its one of those series that transcends personal preference. And Rebellion is one of the best conclusions to anything ever.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
that's the one that went up on Youtube first, right?

that was surprisingly not bad

Little Witch Academia is fantastic. Yoshinari is a very talented director.

Should have been Trigger's first TV series over KLK.

J10

Banned
DC made the villain Gorilla Grodd ruler of the entire African continent.

jk8fVZC.gif

How did that one get by editorial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom