• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

So they just gonna act like they haven't been shitting on Frieza since the Namek Saga ended, huh?

gohan_vs__frieza_fusion_reborn_gif_by_neogohantumblr-d4pyz99.gif

But he's the coolest guys.

Reminder that gohan re killed everyone.

Dragonball AF. #Believe

Isn't that april fools?

Let Toriyama rest in peace.

You say that like toriyama isn't totally ok with this, and wont Milk DBZ and his square enix gig till the end of time . Drawing everything exactly the same.

Malyse

But he's the coolest guys.

Reminder that gohan re killed everyone.

Isn't that april fools?

You say that like toriyama isn't totally ok with this, and wont Milk DBZ and his square enix gig till the end of time . Drawing everything exactly the same.
DQ>DB

Fight me.

Village

Cowa>Dr. Slump >DBZ/Dragon Ball >Chrono Trigger> Blue Dragon > Dragon Quest> Sand Land

Switched for correctness.

I hold DB and DBZ in the same place, I know there are people in both camps but I view it as the same damn. And hell its the same damn thing in japan.

As far as blue dragon goes, I liked the concept. Blue dragon isn't as good as dragon quest, I just liked the concept and never have been into dragon quest

And you forgot the goat COWA

harSon

Banned
Blue Dragon is actually pretty good once you apply the difficulty patch, otherwise you'll struggle to die even once over the course of the game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I hold DB and DBZ in the same place, I know there are people in both camps but I view it as the same damn. And hell its the same damn thing in japan.

No they're different in Japan too. It's an anime made distinction. Like Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden.

Yea.. couldn't get through Blue Dragon no matter how much I tried to make myself like it.

That SSJ5 Goku on AF tho

Still waiting. 2016 just wait on it.

Malyse

Yea.. couldn't get through Blue Dragon no matter how much I tried to make myself like it.

That SSJ5 Goku on AF tho

Still waiting. 2016 just wait on it.
Unpopular opinion: Mistwalker ain't shit. They release middling at best games.

More unpopular opinion: Level 5 has never made a good RPG.

Village

No they're different in Japan too. It's an anime made distinction. Like Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden.

Oh really? Oh ok, I thought it was the same, my bad.

I just never... thought of them as that different. One kind of just evovled into the other ya know.

Like a series that I have a serous divide on is KHR who went from a comedy manga to a more actioney one

And the action one is several times better and the transition feels more inorganic, because it was. The lady making was told the comedy wasn't doing so hot, so she switched it up it was better. And you can see the transition , and that's a series I feel has a split. Where as DB and DBZ to me always felt like it just evolved into the other thing. GT felt inorganic, but that's another conversation.

I can get behind the first considering output.

I get the same hate for saying that Bayo/Vanquish/Godhand ain't shit, and that I'd take DMC 3:SE/NG:B/God of War 3/Gears 3 over them all, twice easily.

Had more fun with AW then I did with Wolfenstein, and that's after a corrupted save where the game doesn't realize I've beat it on Veteran already.

For today, though...looking at the content they added for GTA V (plus the fact that I have to replay all of the story missions), that might hold me until Feb, depending on the Destiny expansion.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
DBZ splits off from DB for me when it started getting too into the sci-fi shit over the general mythology that it was originally based on. With Goku and Piccolo being aliens and all the time travel bullshit in cell saga.

Buu saga was a return to form but series was too far gone for me.

Also I think there was a much larger sense of adventure in Dragonball. Before they could all fly around the planet in minutes and there were a lot of strong people in the world and at the world tournament, vs Mr. Satan being champion.

idk I think the series are different enough to split them like they are. Fans of the qualities in one may not really want anything the other has to offer.

No, their games don't have a shocking tonal shift that causes them to be so highly regarded that not only fans of that medium but not that specific genre but also non fans of the medium can still sing its praises.

But fans of the genre do sing it's praise and it's pulled in quite the number of Xbox fans who would otherwise never play a jRPG. :3

Malyse

Lost Odyssey and Terra Battle are awesome.

Lost Odyssey is fucking dull. Boring combat, boring story. Terra Battle is vapid. It's not the worst game they've made, but the is no compelling reason to place it. Less story than an MMO.

Even their best game was flawed. The Last Story had a lot of issues, but at least it was fun to play. More than I can say for Xenoblade at least.
But fans of the genre do sing it's praise and it's pulled in quite the number of Xbox fans who would otherwise never play a jRPG. :3
Did it impact the market so heavily that other companies immediately started making thematically similar games?

Did it impact the market so heavily that other companies immediately started making thematically similar games?

No but neither did Madoka. If you want genre defining, then Sailor Moon is the correct answer not Madoka. In 10 years, Madoka will be forgotten and people will still bring up Sailor Moon out of nostalgia.

Sailor Moon brought in people who not only were not fans of magical girl or anime in general, but it also did what no other magical girl series can claim to have done in nearly the same capacity, and that is bring a sizable male demographics to it.

Madoka is the poor man's Sailor moon.

So yea. Squaresoft:Sailormoon::Madoka:Mistwalker.

Lost Odyssey was amazing tho

Edit: How you gonna call Lost Odyssey bad when you giving that trash ninja gaiden palette swap GOTY

smh

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Madoka is the poor man's Sailor moon.

So yea. Squaresoft:Sailormoon::Madoka:Mistwalker.

So Sailormoon is forever banking off of its past accomplishments?

and idk, Madoka is incomparable to Mistwalker simply by the fact that it's making money

harSon

Banned
I'm going to have to disagree. Lost Odyssey was the best Final Fantasy game last generation, and The Last Story was a solid action RPG. Mistwalker is a great studio for those who are a fan of PS1 RPGs. I'm not saying they're on a level of PS1 Square, but their games contain many of the same sensibilities - for better or worse. Granted, had they released these games during the Golden Age of JRPGs - they probably wouldn't be remembered as fondly - but in an age where they're pretty much the only ones releasing RPGs of that type? They ain't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom