• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Tornado in winter? That's unusual. Hope things go okay, jandro. Make sure you take cover in a concrete stable if things get bad.

I'm not too scared by tornados because we get them a lot in the midwest. There have been close calls but no damage to me or anyone in my family as of yet. We usually get ours in the middle parts of the year when warm and cold temps are more likely to mix.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
13-2 was the best of the 13 line.

LR, while having pretty above average combat, sucks almost everywhere else on the chart. And I'll defend 13 to the death as a good game, but to say it is as linear as other FFs is just wrong. There's more freedom in the first 2 hours of 8 than there is in the first 14 of 13. Not only that, but there are probably more wasted assets and opportunities in 13 than in any other RPG since Xenogears Disc 2. Massive festival? run in straight line to dungeon area. Debris field outside of city that no one knew existed? dungeon. run straight for plot. city under siege? not even worth talking to anyone. continue down one way road for ending.

13 is a hallway. One of the most beautiful hallways I've ever seen but its a hallway no matter how you look at it.

cdyhybrid

Hyrule Warriors worth picking up at some point? Next game I get will be Smash so it would be down the road a bit. Also, I've never really played one of those types of games.

Malyse

Well, Madoka is the wire. ☺️
No one gonna bite on that? Oh well 😅

----

I think I want to make a legit trap thread. Like, write a realistic analogy for racism and get people all riled up with righteous indignation for me, then point out how it correlates to racial politics. That might be fun.

Malyse

Hyrule Warriors worth picking up at some point? Next game I get will be Smash so it would be down the road a bit. Also, I've never really played one of those types of games.
Yes, even more so as an entry to the franchise. Your love of Zelda directly correlates to your potential enjoyment of this game.

No one gonna bite on that? Oh well 😅

----

I think I want to make a legit trap thread. Like, write a realistic analogy for racism and get people all riled up with righteous indignation for me, then point out how it correlates to racial politics. That might be fun.

Grits vs oatmeal.

Bloodbath.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Ain't much of a trap if you're advertising it. lol

LR, while having pretty above average combat, sucks almost everywhere else on the chart. And I'll defend 13 to the death as a good game, but to say it is as linear as other FFs is just wrong. There's more freedom in the first 2 hours of 8 than there is in the first 14 of 13. Not only that, but there are probably more wasted assets and opportunities in 13 than in any other RPG since Xenogears Disc 2. Massive festival? run in straight line to dungeon area. Debris field outside of city that no one knew existed? dungeon. run straight for plot. city under siege? not even worth talking to anyone. continue down one way road for ending.

13 is a hallway. One of the most beautiful hallways I've ever seen but its a hallway no matter how you look at it.

Thank you, I was beginning to wonder if some cats ever played any other FF besides FFXIII. Saying FFXIII is as linear as the rest is a telltale sign of never playing the other ones. I mean FFXIII is basically in tutorial mode for the first 20hrs ffs.

Do you like Musou games? If not, then as a Zelda fan I'd say pass. If you're a fan of Musou games then go for it. If you're a fan of Zelda and Musou games, run to your nearest store and cop.

Well, Madoka is the wire. ☺️

Sailor Moon is irrelevant to the point of dark and serious storytelling in anime. Magical Girks never fell off. Precise has been on the air for a decade. Light Novels based on JRPGs has always been a thing. LO didn't inspire a return to that because it was still happening. Fucking Kingdom Hearts has light novels. They even got an English release. Your point is absolutely not valid. Unless you are implying that jrpg light novels in his specific style suddenly picked up.

So you're saying Magical Girls never fell off and as such Madoka really hasn't ushered in anything new? Because we've been seeing dark and serious storytelling in anime since forever and at no point has it "fell off"…unless by falling off you mean "no longer the most popular genre?" In which case the same thing can be said for novel adoptions. During the 90s and early 2000s, novel adoptions of Japanese games was a much bigger thing, it clearly fell by the wayward being replaced by manga adoption at a rapid pace. Because the younger generation didn't consume novels at nearly the same rate as the older generation. Having a few come out doesn't invalidate this, because you can apply that to anime as well. While most anime is otaku filled nonsense there are still dark and serious anime coming out. Otaku filled nonsense is simply more popular with the dominating generation, while the more serious stuff still gets consumed by the older (late 20s, 30s crowd).

And yes, if you've read Lost Odyssey it is very much different than a .hack novel in the same way you argue that Madoka is different than most anime. After LO came out, Namco made a few Tales novels that were noticeably a bit more serious in tone than their earlier works. Graces being a good example, Takeshi Tanaka (author) himself even admitted of wanting to go for a more serious book after reading Lost Odyssey saying it's a welcome change in Japan and might get more youth reading. Also not forgetting LO was actually a best seller in Japan and was nominated for an award. I can gladly admit it's like Blood all over again in which it didn't do nearly as well as all parties wanted it to be. But to say it just came and went, when it ended up being one of the highest selling jRPGs of 2008-2009 beating out the brand recognition of Vesperia on the same platform....yea.

I'm sure Madoka is a decent anime obviously because it has a following. But the argument that LO has no following is ridiculous as fuck bruh. The game has a huge cult following and for good reason, and you can keep redefining "impact" but it will change little. There are people clamouring for a sequel, much like there were people clamoring for a sequel to say Phantom Dust (finally).

Malyse

So am I the only one in BCT that's playing VC1?

Nope. Dusted off the PS3.

Thank you, I was beginning to wonder if some cats ever played any other FF besides FFXIII. Saying FFXIII is as linear as the rest is a telltale sign of never playing the other ones. I mean FFXIII is basically in tutorial mode for the first 20hrs ffs.

Do you like Musou games? If not, then as a Zelda fan I'd say pass. If you're a fan of Musou games then go for it. If you're a fan of Zelda and Musou games, run to your nearest store and cop.

So you're saying Magical Girls never fell off and as such Madoka really hasn't ushered in anything new? Because we've been seeing dark and serious storytelling in anime since forever and at no point has it "fell off"…unless by falling off you mean "no longer the most popular genre?" In which case the same thing can be said for novel adoptions. During the 90s and early 2000s, novel adoptions of Japanese games was a much bigger thing, it clearly fell by the wayward being replaced by manga adoption at a rapid pace. Because the younger generation didn't consume novels at nearly the same rate as the older generation. Having a few come out doesn't invalidate this, because you can apply that to anime as well. While most anime is otaku filled nonsense there are still dark and serious anime coming out. Otaku filled nonsense is simply more popular with the dominating generation, while the more serious stuff still gets consumed by the older (late 20s, 30s crowd).

And yes, if you've read Lost Odyssey it is very much different than a .hack novel in the same way you argue that Madoka is different than most anime. After LO came out, Namco made a few Tales novels that were noticeably a bit more serious in tone than their earlier works. Graces being a good example, Takeshi Tanaka (author) himself even admitted of wanting to go for a more serious book after reading Lost Odyssey saying it's a welcome change in Japan and might get more youth reading. Also not forgetting LO was actually a best seller in Japan and was nominated for an award. I can gladly admit it's like Blood all over again in which it didn't do nearly as well as all parties wanted it to be. But to say it just came and went, when it ended up being one of the highest selling jRPGs of 2008-2009 beating out the brand recognition of Vesperia on the same platform....yea.

I'm sure Madoka is a decent anime obviously because it has a following. But the argument that LO has no following is ridiculous as fuck bruh. The game has a huge cult following and for good reason, and you can keep redefining "impact" but it will change little. There are people clamouring for a sequel, much like there were people clamoring for a sequel to say Phantom Dust (finally).

Have you watched Madoka? Because my point is watch Madoka and Mistwalker ain't shit.

The asset thing just kills me. Millions of dollars at their disposal, so many manhours thrown in a furnace to fuel The Line, years and years in development for something so contained

Malyse

The asset thing just kills me. Millions of dollars at their disposal, so many manhours thrown in a furnace to fuel The Line, years and years in development for something so contained

Development hell. The story about what happened with FFXIII is going to be fascinating.

Caught the wrong bus. :l

Next stop...Watts.

Yea shit was baffling as hell, then their PR was a mess and people bought that shit. "HD towns are hard guyz!! world map too much resources!" More like "Yo we suck at resource/time/financial management here at Square, pls understand!"

Meanwhile a shitload of jRPGs feature both...>.>

FyreWulff

Tornado warning is basically "please optimize the chances of you not dying".

Nothing you can do about it, but everyone goes to the basement anyway.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Angelus making gaming side blush right now with the amount of words he's typed hating on something he's never even seen

Like yo, you the one that brought madoka up as a dig at DreamDrop in the first place lol

Like I always feel bad for modern Sonic creators cuz they have to make all these damn assets for HD games like Unleashed and Generations, and you blast past them in five minutes. Square had dudes making decorations for years and untold amount of money and then tell us Towns are hard brehs

DY_nasty

shit

just play tales games

they're ALWAYS more entertaining than FF games these days

even the bad ones - and they're flatout better when it comes to combat all around

RP912

Banned
I'll probably cop VC during a steam sale or something. I want to save up for a graphics card since this apu I'm using is running it's course.

Angelus making gaming side blush right now with the amount of words he's typed hating on something he's never even seen

Like yo, you the one that brought madoka up as a dig at DreamDrop in the first place lol

Did I? All I said was Madoka was wack as fuck. He caught feelings and we went from there. As for wathcing it, I watched 2 episodes on the suggestion of anime GAF and never looked back. I'm not down for that "you gotta watch the full thing before you hate it" crowd.

That's a cop out argument. That's like saying "You need to be really good at X game before you can dismiss it".

shit

just play tales games

they're ALWAYS more entertaining than FF games these days

even the bad ones - and they're flatout better when it comes to combat all around

Xillia 2 combat is so good!

I'm hoping FFXV is a return to glory. Genuinely hyped for it, been hyped since it was first revealed.

DY_nasty

VC is an amazing, unbalanced as all fuck game.

Testament to how much Sega hates money.
I play Ys

I have Celceta collecting dust right now. Its not bad. I feel I owe it more time though.
Played every single one. Some in languages I don't even understand. You can't name a PS2 JRPG I didn't play, bruh.

Then why say they're all as linear as 13?

That's either lying or being straight up uninformed lol

cdyhybrid

Gigantic Zelda fan, but I've never played a Musou game. It should be discounted by the time I actually get around to picking it up, so I guess it would be a good intro to the genre.

Malyse

Yet you think they're all as linear as FFXIII. Stop playing chinese knockoffs breh.
Agito isn't a Chinese knockoff. And I'm not saying that they are linear as 13; I'm saying that save 11 and 14, and arguably 12 (but not really), you are going from place to place in the exact order that Square intended you to. It's a linear series with an illusion of choice. It's not like Skyrim where you can go do whatever the fuck you want from drop.

Gigantic Zelda fan, but I've never played a Musou game. It should be discounted by the time I actually get around to picking it up, so I guess it would be a good intro to the genre.

Yea if you can get it for cheap give it a shot. I wouldn't recommend buying it at full price if you've never played a Musou game.

Musou games are an acquired taste even for fans of whatever series it's covering. I love One Piece but fuck the Musou game is so wack. Same with the Fist of the North Star musou game. T_T

I don't get this, the framerate only dropped noticeably for me when fighting the final boss.

Were you playing on PS3 or 360?

My framerate went to complete garbage during any fights with Sahagins.

I'm not one to complain about FPS in games tbh because it really doesn't matter to me that often, but the frame rate during those regular enemy fights made it really hard to even beat them lol.

DY_nasty

Speaking of Musuo games... I like Samurai Warriors 4 but holy fuck they made it too easy. I get it. Yeah. But this is wrong.

harSon

Banned
So hyped for Smash this Friday.

And I gave Destiny another chance and it clicked a bit more. It's aight. But Dota 2 and Smash are going to suck up 100% of my gaming time.

RP912

Banned
I just had an epitome...

If VC can be released onto steam, there's a huge chance that Madworld will be following suit o_o.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I want to get VC for pc, but my rig is kinda larry, so I dunno. The demo I played on PS3 was fun though. Overwatch is probably a bitch on pc, running 60fps.

I play Ys

The Steam-backlog is real. I think I have 3 of them sitting in my account, untouched. :/

DY_nasty

Agito isn't a Chinese knockoff. And I'm not saying that they are linear as 13; I'm saying that save 11 and 14, and arguably 12 (but not really), you are going from place to place in the exact order that Square intended you to. It's a linear series with an illusion of choice. It's not like Skyrim where you can go do whatever the fuck you want from drop.

Man what?

First off - you did say that. But its okay.

Second. You can have plot progression and some freedom of movement without going in a consistently straight line. The story won't advance until you go to a certain spot - but you can usually still dick around doing whatever in between until you feel like going somewhere. You know. Enjoying the game and shit. FF13 doesn't allow that at all outside of running up and down the same hallway before you reach points of no return.

There aren't branching paths in the majority of JRPGs so bringing an elder scrolls game into all that is rofls.

Speaking of Musuo games... I like Samurai Warriors 4 but holy fuck they made it too easy. I get it. Yeah. But this is wrong.

The only Musou style game I liked (if I dare use that word) was Capcom's Sengoku Basara. But as quickly as I liked them I was indifferent to them.

Never said Agito/Type 0 was a Chinese knockoff. That went over your head bruh.

And acting like there aren't levels to linear and open world. By your argument GTA is linear because to progress in the story you have to go to specific places in the order that Rockstar intends. :|

Edit: What DY said.

I remember when I got a PS3 in anticipation of Versus XIII.

..almost a decade later I'm still patiently waiting for the 15th coming.

Gonna be Game of the Generation .. or the GOAT.

Malyse

Man what?

First off - you did say that. But its okay.

Second. You can have plot progression and some freedom of movement without going in a consistently straight line. The story won't advance until you go to a certain spot - but you can usually still dick around doing whatever in between until you feel like going somewhere. You know. Enjoying the game and shit. FF13 doesn't allow that at all outside of running up and down the same hallway before you reach points of no return.

There aren't branching paths in the majority of JRPGs so bringing an elder scrolls game into all that is rofls.

Except I didn't say that. I said

Final Fantasy has always been linear. XIII just removed the illusion that it wasn't.

Were you playing on PS3 or 360?

My framerate went to complete garbage during any fights with Sahagins.

I'm not one to complain about FPS in games tbh because it really doesn't matter to me that often, but the frame rate during those regular enemy fights made it really hard to even beat them lol.

PS3. I'm probably the least sensitive person to FPS you've ever encountered though, I didn't find Blighttown bad for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom