• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

No but neither did Madoka. If you want genre defining, then Sailor Moon is the correct answer not Madoka. In 10 years, Madoka will be forgotten and people will still bring up Sailor Moon out of nostalgia.

Sailor Moon brought in people who not only were not fans of magical girl or anime in general, but it also did what no other magical girl series can claim to have done in nearly the same capacity, and that is bring a sizable male demographics to it.

Madoka is the poor man's Sailor moon.

So yea. Squaresoft:Sailormoon::Madoka:Mistwalker.

You must not watch much anime. Or did you fail to see the sudden uptick in girls often magical in oppressively dark and oftentimes fatal settings, fighting eldritch abominations
that are somehow tied to their own fate
? Cause there was a ton of them that came on the heels of Madoka. It make suspense cool again in anime. Lost Odyssey had no impact whatsoever. Sorry, but you're just wrong on this. You don't have to like Madoka, but saying it had no impact is Juliet false. And the fact that it had less of an impact than Sailor Moon is wholly irrelevant.

I never played Last Story mostly because I don't have a Wii. I liked the art direction.

And I agree with Harson, Lost Odyssey was easily the best Final Fantasy last generation even with it's technical issues (load times omg).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
13-2 and 13-3 were much better games than Last Odyssey

but alright

Malyse

I'm going to have to disagree. Lost Odyssey was the best Final Fantasy game last generation, and The Last Story was a solid action RPG. Mistwalker is a great studio for those who are a fan of PS1 RPGs. I'm not saying they're on a level of PS1 Square, but their games contain many of the same sensibilities - for better or worse. Granted, had they released these games during the Golden Age of JRPGs - they probably wouldn't be remembered as fondly - but in an age where they're pretty much the only ones releasing RPGs of that type? They ain't bad.
Type 0>Lightning Returns>The Last Story>Dark Dawn>FFXIV>13-2>Dissidia>Lost Odyssey

Malyse

The only way I can take this comment somewhat seriously, and not even then, is if you believe 13-2 and 13-3 are horse shit - and LO is somehow worse.
LO would have made a great short story collection if they just took the dreams out and made it a book.

jWILL253

Banned
13-2 and 13-3 were much better games than Last Odyssey

but alright

N4fH4Ns.png

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You're assuming I haven't

Just to be clear I'm coming from the perspective that Lightning Returns is a better made game.

Not better at trying to be an old PS1 RPG

because it seems a lot of the hate towards those games is based on what they aren't, vs what they actually are trying to be

Malyse

Just to be clear I'm coming from the perspective that Lightning Returns is a better made game.

Not better at trying to be an old PS1 RPG

because it seems a lot of the hate towards those games is based on what they aren't, vs what they actually are trying to be

This. For the last seven years, people have been shitting on SE for not making VII over and over again. People actively hated VIII-XIV and IMO only one of them actually deserves it.

Lightning Returns is straight hot asshole juice. The only good thing about that game (and I use good loosely) is the combat. But the other parts about the game are straight trash. Story is just fucking nonsensical on a level rarely seen by Japanese RPGs. Characters are throwaway as fuck, Setting is wack as shit. It's not about wanting Square to make FFVII again. It's about wanting Square to make a good game...which the entire FF13 line is not at all. Thankfully most people realize this too and is why each entry sold less than the previous. People were tired of that trite otaku shit.

You must not watch much anime. Or did you fail to see the sudden uptick in girls often magical in oppressively dark and oftentimes fatal settings, fighting eldritch abominations
that are somehow tied to their own fate
? Cause there was a ton of them that came on the heels of Madoka. It make suspense cool again in anime. Lost Odyssey had no impact whatsoever. Sorry, but you're just wrong on this. You don't have to like Madoka, but saying it had no impact is Juliet false. And the fact that it had less of an impact than Sailor Moon is wholly irrelevant.

More like I don't watch Magical Girl anime, but that saying something if you think that's all there is to anime. Digressus. The idea of introducing psychological aspects to anime is a bog standard trope from the 80s bruh. Madoka isn't anything new in the grand scheme of anime. The only reason it even gets praise is because it harkens backs to anime that were more than panty shots and loli shit. It's really like saying "Oh man a male rap group! That's super innovative and impactful!" because no one is doing it now, but ignoring the fact it's been done already.

So grats to Madoka for introducing a bunch of fresh faced, clearly have never watched anime earlier than 2011 to the world of anime I guess.

harSon

Banned
People hated what Square was doing with Final Fantasy 13 because they created a corridor JRPG, 13-2 and 13-3 somewhat improved in that area, but it's still a far cry from where it should be.

Malyse

People hated what Square was doing with Final Fantasy 13 because they created a corridor JRPG, 13-2 and 13-3 somewhat improved in that area, but it's still a far cry from where it should be.
Final Fantasy has always been linear. XIII just removed the illusion that it wasn't.

----

Angel, you just admitted that Madoka was impactful.

----

Bish came through the ZP thread with lots of gifts.

Lightning Returns was ridiculously fun to play. Probably my favourite RPG of the last gen not named Xenoblade.

Man I got to the ending and had a couple days left to just do side missions and I just had no motivation to do it.

Never ended up beating the game even though I was right at the end.

Malyse

Man I got to the ending and had a couple days left to just do side missions and I just had no motivation to do it.

Never ended up beating the game even though I was right at the end.
Which one? Xenoblade becomes a fucking chore in the endgame. Should have made Xenosaga 4 instead.

Final Fantasy has always been linear. XIII just removed the illusion that it wasn't.

----

Angel, you just admitted that Madoka was impactful.

----

Bish came through the ZP thread with lots of gifts.

LO would have made a great short story collection if they just took the dreams out and made it a book.

0ilwfMa.jpg

Coincidentally they started a trend in Japan in which many jRPGs after LO had novels penned and for a while moved away from manga adoptions…can we say impact? :3

Malyse

0ilwfMa.jpg

Coincidentally they started a trend in Japan in which many jRPGs after LO had novels penned and for a while moved away from manga adoptions…can we say impact? :3

That doesn't make Mistwalker Madoka. Ain't no one crowing for LO2, not like the hype levels of Rebellion. LO didn't make anyone's career.
And are you certain that wasn't Microsoft begging for attention in the Japanese market?
oh, and .hack did it well before and the trend never really died, so...

LR was a horrible RPG. It just had fun combat and if combat is all it takes to be a jRPG then Dragon Dogma is the best jRPG ever made.

Personally, I can't agree with that, but I see your point. While the combat is no doubt the best part I really did like the game as a whole.

The framerate in that sandplace..

STRAIGHT TURRIBLE.

I don't get this, the framerate only dropped noticeably for me when fighting the final boss.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I would read that book, I remember my friend playing the game and telling me how great all the little short stories were but the gameplay never looked interesting to me.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Lightning Returns is straight hot asshole juice. The only good thing about that game (and I use good loosely) is the combat. But the other parts about the game are straight trash. Story is just fucking nonsensical on a level rarely seen by Japanese RPGs. Characters are throwaway as fuck, Setting is wack as shit. It's not about wanting Square to make FFVII again. It's about wanting Square to make a good game...which the entire FF13 line is not at all. Thankfully most people realize this too and is why each entry sold less than the previous. People were tired of that trite otaku shit.

Well if that's your argument, people really don't want "the best Final Fantasy game of last gen" as Lost Odyssey sold less than the worst selling entry of 13 lol

Malyse

The KKK thread is under a similar process now.

Some of those arguments are why I largely don't bother with discussing race on the internet.

Maybe it's just my vindictive nature, but I rather enjoy outing and putting racists on display. I'd rather know who my enemies are.
Pedos too.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
More like I don't watch Magical Girl anime, but that saying something if you think that's all there is to anime. Digressus. The idea of introducing psychological aspects to anime is a bog standard trope from the 80s bruh. Madoka isn't anything new in the grand scheme of anime. The only reason it even gets praise is because it harkens backs to anime that were more than panty shots and loli shit. It's really like saying "Oh man a male rap group! That's super innovative and impactful!" because no one is doing it now, but ignoring the fact it's been done already.

So grats to Madoka for introducing a bunch of fresh faced, clearly have never watched anime earlier than 2011 to the world of anime I guess.

Angelus

It's ok to be wrong

You don't have to know everything about everything

Talking out of your ass about stuff you clearly don't know, or even seem to really care about is neither fooling nor impressing anyone here

just take it easy bro

That doesn't make Mistwalker Madoka. Ain't no one crowing for LO2

So before I do a search do you want to move the goalposts so we can get that out of the way?

not like the hype levels of Rebellion, LO didn't make anyone's career

Oh nevermind. And as for the bold it kind of did. After said novel came out, Kiyoshi saw a resurgent in his book sales for a while. Unless that doesn't count. :3
And are you certain that wasn't Microsoft begging for attention in the Japanese market?

Seeing as MS had no involvement with the novel...pretty sure.

.hack did it well before and the trend never really died, so...

Yea and many a shounen series did the psychological aspect well before Madoka too…

And the trend most definitely died out, as someone who purchases quite a number of Japanese novels, you'd be hard pressed to find many from jRPGs. Manga adoption isn't the same as novel adoption.

And please let's not compare .Hack's young adult weak writing to a Shigematsu book. That's like comparing Madoka to The Wire.

Malyse

So before I do a search do you want to move the goalposts so we can get that out of the way?

Oh nevermind. And as for the bold it kind of did. After said novel came out, Kiyoshi saw a resurgent in his book sales for a while. Unless that doesn't count. :3

Seeing as MS had no involvement with the novel...pretty sure.

So now it's okay to bring up past examples as means of invalidation? Oh okay, so you're saying Sailormoon is relevant.

And the trend most definitely died out, as someone who purchases quite a number of Japanese novels, you'd be hard pressed to find many from jRPGs. Manga adoption isn't the same as novel adoption.

And please let's not compare .Hack's young adult weak writing to a Shigematsu book. That's like comparing Madoka to The Wire.
Well, Madoka is the wire. ☺️

Sailor Moon is irrelevant to the point of dark and serious storytelling in anime. Magical Girks never fell off. Precise has been on the air for a decade. Light Novels based on JRPGs has always been a thing. LO didn't inspire a return to that because it was still happening. Fucking Kingdom Hearts has light novels. They even got an English release. Your point is absolutely not valid. Unless you are implying that jrpg light novels in his specific style suddenly picked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom