• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come Tony wasn't interested in Mandarin until he got that direct call out? Where was Cap at on that?

When aliens and robots are threatening entire cities, I could see it taking a while before the Avengers turn an eye to a guy killing violent criminals, especially with Shield in taters and their ability to gather intel hindered.

Daredevil, Spider-Man, there are literally hundreds of Superheroes AND Supervillains all with a good reason to stop the guy...
This is comic Punisher. Movie's have wisely kept him away.

Slayven

How does Punisher work in a world with police? I mean the first mafia birthday slaughter they would set up a taskforce just to catch the guy..

Malyse

I know the feeling, DD..
Thing is, it's a nightmare I wholly understand the meaning of too. I've always felt like I don't live up to my parents expectations (due in part to crippling lay low self esteem and in part to a difficult past with my father that has included me being told I don't deserve to be happy), so for them to both show up separately and each happily shoot me in the chest, well that doesn't take a genius. Doubt I'll sleep tonight and not just cause of smash.

Kreed

How many times have y'all seen Rush Hour/Friday in your lifetimes?

The originals? Enough times that I could probably act out those two movies, particularly Rush Hour. I actually did a presentation/movie credits screening in grade school on the first Rush Hour.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
How does Punisher work in a world with police? I mean the first mafia birthday slaughter they would set up a taskforce just to catch the guy..

Seriously. There has to be innocent people and kids mixed uo in all that.

He's an asshole.

image.php

Kreed

I was looking up Hannibal Buress responses to the whole Bill Cosby situation earlier, thought this was funny:

Buress says he texted Dave Chappelle to ask him his advice on handling a crisis situation. He said Chappelle told him it would be best to have a conversation with Cosby and squash it.

Then he said Chappelle watched the video and quickly told him not to call Cosby.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainme...cle_827171f6-aaab-5bcc-b51f-20638f033bf0.html

RedSwirl

Nice interview here containing a lot of links. Apparently this guy (white guy) has been doing a series on Wapo, "What Whites Just Don't Get About Racial Equality," and has been met with predictable resistance at every turn. The biggest argument? Personal responsibility.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nicho...51-6e36c9cb9b93_story.html?wprss=rss_homepage

By the way this widget app called "Clips" for iOS a is something else. It's basically a proper clipboard for iOS 8.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I definitely don't think so. How does a guy like that operate in a world with Superheroes? Every time they don't bring him in that's tacit approval of his actions. Which looks really bad. "I won't kill but I won't stop you from killing them Frank, so my conscience is clean!"
This is my problem with the Punisher as a concept. Not the character, which I love and provides a certain catharsis.

Frank kills people. That's all he does. Due process be damned. You'd think one of these shiny suited flying heroes would comment on the ridiculousness of letting this guy run around scott free because he mainly targets "bad guys". Hell, even in the Black Widow/Punisher show (which was a completely wasted opportunity) I was hoping to see Natasha hold up the mirror to his methods based on her experience as an assassin, but it never happened.

Have any story arcs been written around a team of heroes actively hunting down the Punisher for his crimes? Slayven?

strobogo

Banned
I'm pretty sure Punisher killing dudes was mentioned a few times during Civil War. I feel like he joined with Cap, but everyone was leery of him on account of his killing of people all the time. And then he killed some pro-reg dudes or criminals and Cap attacked him or something.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah, stro is right. In Civil War Goldbug and another supervillian meet up with Cap to try and join his anti-registration movement. But Punisher is there and just guns them down instantly. I think all that happens is Cap punches him in the face and tells him to get out. So yeah, he constantly gets away with this kind of thing on a regular basis without consequence. Which is why I think Punisher works better in as part of his own standalone universe.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Yeah, stro is right. In Civil War Goldbug and another supervillian meet up with Cap to try and join his anti-registration movement. But Punisher is there and just guns them down instantly. I think all that happens is Cap punches him in the face and tells him to get out.
I remember reading that and putting the book down on the table. That entire sequence was a joke from start to finish - funny on the surface, but did nothing but hamstring Cap's character going forward. Ridiculous.

I want a full-fledged arc based on Punisher being hunted down. Maybe I'll write one myself.

Village

Have any story arcs been written around a team of heroes actively hunting down the Punisher for his crimes? Slayven?

Yep amazing art too, he is drawn like snake a good portion of the time.

Wolverine gives him the heads up the avengers are gonna get him. Because wolverine as has killed a lot of people and understands. I think him and Thor have an interesting conversation too

Next arc is him going to court I think

Slayven

This is my problem with the Punisher as a concept. Not the character, which I love and provides a certain catharsis.

Frank kills people. That's all he does. Due process be damned. You'd think one of these shiny suited flying heroes would comment on the ridiculousness of letting this guy run around scott free because he mainly targets "bad guys". Hell, even in the Black Widow/Punisher show (which was a completely wasted opportunity) I was hoping to see Natasha hold up the mirror to his methods based on her experience as an assassin, but it never happened.

Confederacy of Dunces

But it was written by Garth Ennis who hates all superheroes except Cyclops

There was an amusing story where a guy wants to hire Taskmaster to style Frank's prized .45s. Taskmaster told him to get the fuck out of his office.

Parallax

Punisher didn't fight back cuz he respected Steve too much, and Steve was like "nigga gtfo"

Then Spider-Man said some Mark Millar ass shit like "they're the same man, but from different wars"

Thats so damn true. Spider man condemning that shit at all is out of character. He didnt let logan go ape on bar dudes, but writes shit like that off.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Wolverine had his genitals shot off by the Punisher when they were chasing after the same killers. The Punisher than ran him over with a steam roller stating Logan was just getting in his way.
wat wat wat

Parallax

I really hate that bubble of near invincibility frank has. Getting cut down by daken was the best thing to happen for me. All thats next is the justice league telling batman to sit this one out.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If I see the words "can't relate" written anywhere in a post about a video game your opinion is null and void to me.

RightThornyCrab.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom